Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1759004 times)

else

• Youth Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #3800 on: November 17, 2014, 01:10:04 PM »
If we  loose our next 5 games with negative football will he be on his way? How many points will we get from
Chelsea
Arsenal
West Ham
Hull
Villa

7 would be ideal but I can't see us getting it. Hope I'm wrong!

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3801 on: November 17, 2014, 01:45:48 PM »
I'm not expecting anything against Chelsea away but the way we are set up defensively we could frustrate them.  Are Arsenal that terrifying?  Defensively they are shocking and if the right team is selected then we could get something from the game.  West Ham have started well but we are at home and should be capable of getting a result.  Then there is Hull away and we could do a job on them like we did at Leicester and I think we will beat Villa at home.

I think 8 points is a good return for these fixtures and that would be more than satisfactory going into the Christmas period.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3802 on: November 17, 2014, 02:01:20 PM »

I think 8 points is a good return for these fixtures

I think 8 would be brilliant. But I can't see how, unless he changes the very one paced midfield and sets us up to score some.

Try to frustrate Chelsea, then attack the others. Then, maybe, 8 points.

Set up as we are and maybe 4 i think. This from someone most on here will know to be more positive than the average.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3803 on: November 17, 2014, 02:14:06 PM »
I think 6 points from that list is reasonable, any more and its really good any ess and its not good, 3 or less and AI will be in serious jeopardy IMO.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3804 on: November 17, 2014, 02:53:11 PM »
I think we'll pick up around 7-8 points from them fixtures. The fans who never wanted him in the first place are too quick to criticise every bad result when there were posts about humble pie before the Newcastle game. 13th in the league with 13 points from 11 games is a good return. We've played some good stuff at times and we've played some poor football at other times just like we did under Clarke, Hodgson, Mel/Downing etc. Our home form and performances have been poor for a while now and needs to improve, away from home we're set up well and will pick up points.
Good assessment of where we are at and how AI is doing
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3805 on: November 17, 2014, 06:44:42 PM »
I think we'll pick up around 7-8 points from them fixtures. The fans who never wanted him in the first place are too quick to criticise every bad result when there were posts about humble pie before the Newcastle game. 13th in the league with 13 points from 11 games is a good return. We've played some good stuff at times and we've played some poor football at other times just like we did under Clarke, Hodgson, Mel/Downing etc. Our home form and performances have been poor for a while now and needs to improve, away from home we're set up well and will pick up points.

I am not eating anymore pie.This bloke is not going to entertain us ever, football is an entertain business.The atmosphere is only going to get worse
I think the humble pie posts from some was before the Palace game.
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3806 on: November 17, 2014, 07:56:08 PM »

I am not eating anymore pie.This bloke is not going to entertain us ever, football is an entertain business.The atmosphere is only going to get worse
I think the humble pie posts from some was before the Palace game.
Don't think you will have to Devon it will be Peace and the few backers he's got on here who will eating a large helping of pie over the New Year when JP finally realises he has to pull the trigger.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3807 on: November 17, 2014, 08:28:57 PM »
Don't think you will have to Devon it will be Peace and the few backers he's got on here who will eating a large helping of pie over the New Year when JP finally realises he has to pull the trigger.
And if he does pull the trigger don't think anyone will be eating humble pie. Some people were just willing to give Irvine a chance the same as some were willing to give Clarke and Mel a chance.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3808 on: November 17, 2014, 08:44:14 PM »
Despite the predominantly downbeat vibe of the thread - have we actually made a bad start to the season?

11 games in and on 13 points and 13th in the league doesn't seem too bad to me if I'm honest.

It's still very early days, but if we're going to make an early season judgement, I'd be inclined to describe it as a steady start as the new Coach and players get settled in.

So personally, at this stage, I've got no gripe at all with AI and he appears to be doing OK.

I'd acknowledge that the last performance was disappointing, but I'm basing my views on how things are 11 games in.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3809 on: November 17, 2014, 09:11:13 PM »
And if he does pull the trigger don't think anyone will be eating humble pie. Some people were just willing to give Irvine a chance the same as some were willing to give Clarke and Mel a chance.
Most sensible post I have read on this board in a long time I'm afraid.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3810 on: November 17, 2014, 09:38:25 PM »

I'm a backer because he's with my club. That's all it takes: just don the stripes or the track suit, and you have my respect and backing.

Whether I think a coach or a player is good enough is an entirely separate matter.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3811 on: November 17, 2014, 10:25:18 PM »
I'm a backer because he's with my club. That's all it takes: just don the stripes or the track suit, and you have my respect and backing.

Whether I think a coach or a player is good enough is an entirely separate matter.
Agree in general but more than happy to see the back of Bednar, Anelka,  Odemwhingey. Bring my club into disrepute you lose my backing.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3812 on: November 17, 2014, 10:34:31 PM »
Agree in general but more than happy to see the back of Bednar, Anelka,  Odemwhingey. Bring my club into disrepute you lose my backing.

I neglected to include that caveat, but I'll refrain from passing judgment on them in this thread.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:43:30 PM by Quakes Fan »

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3813 on: November 17, 2014, 10:44:15 PM »

This in a nutshell. Irvine wasn't anyone's first choice (or second, third, or fortieth) but  he was hired. I was a Mel supporter because it was a stance against the club  and I genuinely wanted him to do well. I'm an Irvine supporter for the same reason - because I want him, and by association, the team to do well. If I have to weigh up my feelings towards managers in a statement it's that while the team does well I'm happy. Nothing is to say any manager would be a guaranteed success here by any means. And if a manager fails to do well here I won't vilify him or express anger at him. It doesn't make me a happy clapper by any means. As long as a manager gives his best (regardless of if he falls short or not) I back them.

We could have motormouth Sherwood in charge talking garbage every post match interview and making us look sour, or we could, until he leaves, treat Irvine with respect. He's not disgracing the club, he's not giving us a bad name, and until he does he should be treated as a guy doing a job to the best of HIS ability, not judged against a speculative benchmark of what we think someone else may have done.

Suggesting someone like Pulis would be a better candidate (as has been said) sacrifices the playing style others crave. Efficient football isn't always good football. Good football isn't always winning football. Let's quit speculating who can or would do a better job and back the man, whoever and whenever, is in charge of our team, until he passes on that role.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3814 on: November 18, 2014, 12:34:25 AM »
This in a nutshell. Irvine wasn't anyone's first choice (or second, third, or fortieth) but  he was hired. I was a Mel supporter because it was a stance against the club  and I genuinely wanted him to do well. I'm an Irvine supporter for the same reason - because I want him, and by association, the team to do well. If I have to weigh up my feelings towards managers in a statement it's that while the team does well I'm happy. Nothing is to say any manager would be a guaranteed success here by any means. And if a manager fails to do well here I won't vilify him or express anger at him. It doesn't make me a happy clapper by any means. As long as a manager gives his best (regardless of if he falls short or not) I back them.

We could have motormouth Sherwood in charge talking garbage every post match interview and making us look sour, or we could, until he leaves, treat Irvine with respect. He's not disgracing the club, he's not giving us a bad name, and until he does he should be treated as a guy doing a job to the best of HIS ability, not judged against a speculative benchmark of what we think someone else may have done.

Suggesting someone like Pulis would be a better candidate (as has been said) sacrifices the playing style others crave. Efficient football isn't always good football. Good football isn't always winning football. Let's quit speculating who can or would do a better job and back the man, whoever and whenever, is in charge of our team, until he passes on that role.
I'll give the bloke a chance, but he has to give our summer recruits a chance. I'm surprised that Jp hasn't pulled him on the lack of game time these players whom Alan assessed as being needed to bolster the first team and squad.
in my eyes we have still the problems which pre dated this coach, can't win at home with np width to speak of

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3815 on: November 18, 2014, 08:28:25 AM »
all i ask is to entertained especially at home games, Mel provided us with the best atacking football in years.
With the players we have quite possibly our best premier league playing squad i expect more chances on goal with exciting through balls and not the the rubbish sidways football in our own half.
Just going out to win a game from the off,If we loose we loose but i will be alot happier knowing we have given it our all rather than being too cautious, simples .
Like i have said if this brand of football contiues at home i will select certain home and go away instead. I am bored silly at the moment
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:36:43 AM by WBAinDEVON »

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3816 on: November 18, 2014, 08:38:23 AM »
Has anybody seen anything from Irvine as of yet that justifies his appointment?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3817 on: November 18, 2014, 09:01:47 AM »
Why do we have to back him on here? Why can't we speculate? Surely this is the ideal place, it is a forum after all. I'm sure Irvine's not crying into his cornflakes over anyone's comments, he doesn't read them does he?
As far as I am concerned he and, as Quakes said earlier anyone who dons the colours, gets my 100% support on matchday and I want him / them to win every game.
This however is a forum for voicing opinions and venting frustrations, it's what it's designed to do.
Personally, I love the rants and the disagreements it shows we all share the same passion even if we don't share the same opinions.
If we all agreed and liked each other, this would be a dull site.  :D

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3818 on: November 18, 2014, 09:31:01 AM »
Why do we have to back him on here? Why can't we speculate? Surely this is the ideal place, it is a forum after all. I'm sure Irvine's not crying into his cornflakes over anyone's comments, he doesn't read them does he?
As far as I am concerned he and, as Quakes said earlier anyone who dons the colours, gets my 100% support on matchday and I want him / them to win every game.
This however is a forum for voicing opinions and venting frustrations, it's what it's designed to do.
Personally, I love the rants and the disagreements it shows we all share the same passion even if we don't share the same opinions.
If we all agreed and liked each other, this would be a dull site.  :D

By backing him, I mean supporting him on match day and always showing him the basic respect that the head coach of West Bromwich Albion Football Club deserves (always with the caveat that he isn't doing anything unseemly). I certainly don't mean that anyone shouldn't disapprove of his performance. Then I'll only take issue if I think the facts or logic employed don't support the conclusion.

Personally, I'm still waiting to see more. He's gotten some things right and others wrong. I'm willing to accept a conservative style of play if it gets us points and keeps us up.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:36:48 AM by Quakes Fan »

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3819 on: November 18, 2014, 09:39:10 AM »
By backing him, I mean supporting him on match day and always showing him the basic respect that the head coach of West Bromwich Albion Football Club deserves (always with the caveat that he isn't doing anything unseemly). I certainly don't mean that anyone shouldn't disapprove of his performance. Then I'll only take issue if I think the facts or logic employed don't support the conclusion.

Personally, I'm still waiting to see more. He's gotten some things right and others wrong. I'm willing to accept a conservative style of play if it gets us points and keeps us up.
That is what matters at the end of the day POINTS.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:40:00 AM by Quakes Fan »
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3820 on: November 18, 2014, 03:54:49 PM »
all i ask is to entertained especially at home games, Mel provided us with the best atacking football in years.
With the players we have quite possibly our best premier league playing squad i expect more chances on goal with exciting through balls and not the the rubbish sidways football in our own half.
Just going out to win a game from the off,If we loose we loose but i will be alot happier knowing we have given it our all rather than being too cautious, simples .
Like i have said if this brand of football contiues at home i will select certain home and go away instead. I am bored silly at the moment

If Irvine went 3-0 up against Spurs and threw it away due to poor tactics he would be slated ridiculously if we went 3-2 up against a rubbish team with seconds to play then give an equaliser away he would be slated if he went two up at villa then due to playing a high line with players everyone in england knows couldn't play it he would get slated yet mel is still a hero. Mel didn't have a clue except for playing one way it was embarrassing the amount of mistakes and his tactics cost us points last season. It was good for a neutral but not an albion fan, never been so annoyed coming out of grounds
In my life as I did end of last season

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3821 on: November 18, 2014, 04:18:02 PM »
If Irvine went 3-0 up against Spurs and threw it away due to poor tactics he would be slated ridiculously if we went 3-2 up against a rubbish team with seconds to play then give an equaliser away he would be slated if he went two up at villa then due to playing a high line with players everyone in england knows couldn't play it he would get slated yet mel is still a hero. Mel didn't have a clue except for playing one way it was embarrassing the amount of mistakes and his tactics cost us points last season. It was good for a neutral but not an albion fan, never been so annoyed coming out of grounds

Chris Brunt also stated that the dressing room was dead under Mel which is a contrast to what it's like this season.
the regime don't like it man

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3822 on: November 18, 2014, 06:19:34 PM »
you don't speak for all albion fans though,i enjoyed mels short spell here. if you didn't fair enough

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3823 on: November 18, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »
you don't speak for all albion fans though,i enjoyed mels short spell here. if you didn't fair enough

Fairpoint, came out a bit wrong I meant as a neutral I would have loved it but as I am an Albion fan I found it frustrating giving away leads.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3824 on: November 18, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »
If Irvine keeps up with the turgid football at home it will be his own downfall . Give me what mel offered any day.I come out of the ground after watching negative football which is supposed to be an entertaining business thinking what's the point