Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1765789 times)

botters

• Youth Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #3775 on: November 13, 2014, 08:56:56 PM »
Let's face it this appointment will turn out to be a disaster. Irvine just cannot put out a positive attacking team. He has been backed financially more than any other head coach/manager in the clubs history but he will not use the attacking players available to him

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3776 on: November 14, 2014, 07:07:33 AM »
Let's face it this appointment will turn out to be a disaster. Irvine just cannot put out a positive attacking team. He has been backed financially more than any other head coach/manager in the clubs history but he will not use the attacking players available to him
Let's face it this appointment MAY turn out to be a disaster (although 13th in the league at the minute suggests it MAY not be) Irvine just HASN'T put out a positive attacking team (although our goals for record isn't that bad compared to some suggests we are attacking somewhere) He has been backed financially more than any other head coach mananager in the clubs history but he HASN'T used the attacking players that I want him to (yet).

I think this is more reasonable.  Happy to help.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3777 on: November 14, 2014, 09:18:02 AM »
Is AI naïve or professional?
He seems to study the opposition,decide if they are a skilful team or a physical one then pick our team accordingly.
Should he not pick our best team and let the opposition worry about us particularly at home?
If he does rely on opposing team's set up then should we be set up like for like or should we set up with an alternative formation?eg if they are Physical we go skill and if they are skillfull we go Physical.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3778 on: November 14, 2014, 10:17:35 AM »
He seems to study the opposition,decide if they are a skilful team or a physical one then pick our team accordingly.
Should he not pick our best team and let the opposition worry about us particularly at home?
If he does rely on opposing team's set up then should we be set up like for like or should we set up with an alternative formation?eg if they are Physical we go skill and if they are skillfull we go Physical.

I suppose if he did that he would then be torn apart for not taking into consideration the opponents strengths and be called naive for doing so.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3779 on: November 14, 2014, 10:34:22 AM »

This doesn't really seem to make a difference, cup aside its been mostly the same players
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3780 on: November 14, 2014, 10:56:29 AM »

There is no doubt in my mind that AI is a highly professionally and diligent man.  We’ve heard much about the work and preparation that goes into preparing the side, in terms of pure coaching and also in terms of opposition research.  Nearly every Sunday when watching the games on the box you’ll spot AI at one of them, note book in hand, scribbling away, it’s his attention to detail and hard work which really makes me respect and warm to him. 

However, I want to start seeing him being bolder and more enterprising in his team selections and make worth of his undoubtedly assiduousness work.  He has had his hands tied to a certain extent with injuries etc but I think the next month will be telling.  Is his conservative approach at home going to continue, especially in regards to picking a rather un-dynamic, predictable yet hard working midfield quartet?  Or will he be courageous and exploit his diligence work on opposition and pick players who are capable of tormenting opposing defenders like Varela, Sessegnon and Blanco.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:03:16 AM by Signor_Maresca »
"This crack is really moreish."

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3781 on: November 14, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
He says he set up the way he did against Newcastle because he thought 'this will be another Crystal Palace', he was clearly wrong, it wasn't.
I believe a team should be picked to win the game, not to stop the opposition winning. We are Albion, we can handle losing provided we go out to attack the opponent.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3782 on: November 15, 2014, 08:47:37 AM »
We have to win are home games if we have any chance of staying in this league and at the minute one win is not good
enough. In my eyes the coach is not flexible in his choice of personal or formation.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3783 on: November 15, 2014, 09:19:02 AM »
We have to win are home games if we have any chance of staying in this league and at the minute one win is not good
enough. In my eyes the coach is not flexible in his choice of personal or formation.
We don't have to win our home games to stay up , we have to gain more points than three other teams. I struggle with the logic that a home game is more important than an away game. Both are played over 90 minutes against 11 men and have the same amount of points attributed to them. If anything there is more pressure on home games due to greater expectation and therefore a higher risk of failure?
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #3784 on: November 15, 2014, 09:40:09 AM »
Your correct its about getting passed 40 points however and wherever they come.

But you cant help but feel that as the season goes on our home form will have to improve to stop the pressure being on us away.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3785 on: November 15, 2014, 09:53:33 AM »
We don't have to win our home games to stay up , we have to gain more points than three other teams. I struggle with the logic that a home game is more important than an away game. Both are played over 90 minutes against 11 men and have the same amount of points attributed to them. If anything there is more pressure on home games due to greater expectation and therefore a higher risk of failure?

I agree but it should allow the manager/head coach the freedom to allow his team to express themselves in a positive way & let the supporters see both sides of his  footballing philosophy if he has 2 that is.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3786 on: November 15, 2014, 10:28:11 AM »
He only knows how to play away. We are heading for a premiership exit as Arrys bunch have firepower and are fast, and unless there is another Norwich Meltdown team on the horizon we are well and truly screwed.

I know there have been changes and to some extent it has helped us project a better, more coordinated feel to the club, where it matters we are still  poo. PR is great, doesnt mean a toss if we lose at home to bloody Newcastle and didnt even set ourselves up to win.

Personally cant stand another season like the last, and believe me this one will be worse, good luck Saido, goodbye all fellow posters..Im off, my blood pressure cant stand it
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:57:10 AM by Quakes Fan »

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3787 on: November 15, 2014, 11:41:47 AM »
Currently the football we play at home is worse Thant that of a Clarke team.we could quite easily loose all 4 of our next games. He's  gone if we do. Roughly the same time Clarke got the sack 
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3788 on: November 15, 2014, 01:19:11 PM »
Let's face it this appointment MAY turn out to be a disaster (although 13th in the league at the minute suggests it MAY not be) Irvine just HASN'T put out a positive attacking team (although our goals for record isn't that bad compared to some suggests we are attacking somewhere) He has been backed financially more than any other head coach mananager in the clubs history but he HASN'T used the attacking players that I want him to (yet).

I think this is more reasonable.  Happy to help.

Possibly but time will tell. I have no faith that Irvine will do those things even with a fully fit squad. 

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3789 on: November 16, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »
obviously like most fans thought his appoinment was a joke, , i think we have to accept that a lot of people in the game respect his coaching abilities, as they did Steve Clarke , but at least SC encouraged the team to go out and play and bad luck played as much a part of him getting the sack as any other factor.
with AI i am afraid you cannot even blame bad luck, we have put a team out week after week that does not even look like scoring most of the time , nobody questions the work ethic, with the exception of probably 4 games this season the team have generally put a shift in, but it is looking like a championship side again, we have probably man for man got a better squad than Leicester Burnley QPR  but whenever i see them on the TV they at least have a go at the opposition , get men forward and at times break at pace, okay they lose , but thats because basically their defences are not good enough , but at least they give their fans a bit of hope, I would rather see us go down fighting than with a whimper , lets face it how many problems did Newcastle give us , maybe 3 or 4 situations but they scored twice , how many did we give them probably one and Krul made a save, lets face it AI from an oppositions defensive point of view we are very easy to play against, thats down to you and the rest of the coaching staff

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3790 on: November 16, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »
He came with the claim that he is one of the best coaches around but have we seen any evidence of that? Burnley apart we have conceded 2 goals in every home league game so no real evidence of defensive improvement there, the midfield he is picking is totally devoid of pace and creativity so no our chances of scoring 3 are slim at best.So despite much transfer activity added to the much lauded coaching credentials of our new head honcho we are probably worse off than before.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3791 on: November 17, 2014, 08:58:16 AM »
If we  loose our next 5 games with negative football will he be on his way? How many points will we get from
Chelsea
Arsenal
West Ham
Hull
Villa
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3792 on: November 17, 2014, 09:08:32 AM »
If we  loose our next 5 games with negative football will he be on his way? How many points will we get from
Chelsea
Arsenal
West Ham
Hull
Villa
I reckon 6 points would be ok, more would be great, less and we, and Irvine, will be struggling.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3793 on: November 17, 2014, 09:09:11 AM »
Chelsea
Arsenal
West Ham
Hull
Villa
15 mate  :D
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3794 on: November 17, 2014, 09:41:21 AM »
Chelsea
Arsenal
West Ham
Hull
Villa

2 points from these imo.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3795 on: November 17, 2014, 09:57:49 AM »

Expectation?

Two home league wins since 1st Jan and you think there's expectation that we're going to win?  The West Ham game is the only one I missed - So, since 1st Jan I've seen 14 home games, 9 draws, 4 defeats and we beat Burnley.  My expectations are very low.  I am so fed up of walking away from games fed up and disappointed.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3796 on: November 17, 2014, 10:20:09 AM »
Problem i have looking at the next fixtures is can i see us losing many of them no i cant but also cant see us winning any of them, Problem is our next 3 games are all good sides this season if we fail to pick up any points from them then suddenly hull becomes a massive game fail to win that and then the derby becomes even bigger game, I dont think Peace would sack another manager over the festive period if im being honest.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3797 on: November 17, 2014, 11:53:40 AM »
AI must realise that it is not really working and he has to make some adjusments. Surely he can see that if it carries on the way it is he will lose his job. Our last 5 fixtures of the season are Liverpool,Man Utd, Newcastle, Chelsea and Arsenal. Will he still be there for these fixtures?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3798 on: November 17, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »
Expectation?

Two home league wins since 1st Jan and you think there's expectation that we're going to win?  The West Ham game is the only one I missed - So, since 1st Jan I've seen 14 home games, 9 draws, 4 defeats and we beat Burnley.  My expectations are very low.  I am so fed up of walking away from games fed up and disappointed.
That makes very depressing reading  :(
And we wonder why there is an air of negativity, not only on these boards, but all around the Hawthorns.
This is why we need a change of approach at home, we are all depressed before a ball is even kicked. We need the line up to give us a sense of hope rather than resignation.
Please Alan, give us something positive before the next game.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3799 on: November 17, 2014, 12:40:35 PM »
Chelsea
Arsenal
West Ham
Hull
Villa

I think we'll pick up around 7-8 points from them fixtures. The fans who never wanted him in the first place are too quick to criticise every bad result when there were posts about humble pie before the Newcastle game. 13th in the league with 13 points from 11 games is a good return. We've played some good stuff at times and we've played some poor football at other times just like we did under Clarke, Hodgson, Mel/Downing etc. Our home form and performances have been poor for a while now and needs to improve, away from home we're set up well and will pick up points.
the regime don't like it man