Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1759051 times)

Legend

• Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #3500 on: November 02, 2014, 11:57:10 AM »
We're getting back to when we were at our best in the Premier League and that's when Hodgson was here. Under Hodgson we had many performances that were similar to yesterday's match. Irvine's doing a cracking job so far and long may it continue.
the regime don't like it man

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3501 on: November 02, 2014, 02:03:58 PM »
We're getting back to when we were at our best in the Premier League and that's when Hodgson was here. Under Hodgson we had many performances that were similar to yesterday's match. Irvine's doing a cracking job so far and long may it continue.

We were at our best during the first few months under Clarke. Then we lost some quality and morale and never recovered. I find Irvine's tactics limited and tedious tbh (as I did Hodgson's), but maybe our current crop of players aren't capable of more.

Organized and hard to beat is just the very basics I expect from any coach.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3502 on: November 02, 2014, 02:13:45 PM »

It's mind numbing to be honest. The Hodgson team was never as toothless though that was mainly down to Odemwingie. Also it didn't leak goals for fun at home.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

mrmojorisin

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3503 on: November 02, 2014, 02:16:52 PM »
He's not a good manager, but maybe just maybe he's a lucky one. Well done today.
Napoleon said "I have plenty of clever generals but just give me a lucky one".  Well, there are plenty of clever managers but I would happily settle for a lucky one.

I am amazed at the amount of negativity still shown on here about Alan Irvine.  I didn't want him and was totally underwhelmed by the appointment but he has made a solid, if unspectacular, start.  Sure, the football has not been brilliant and there may be questions about team selection/substitutions but the doomsayers who were crowing about "out by November" have been proved wrong.  So let's have a bit less of the doom-mongering and give him a chance.  It is a shame there are still those who would rather Irvine (and the Baggies) failed.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3504 on: November 02, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »
My real hope is that AI has set out to

firstly, achieve the initial objective of a  solid base which will keep us up, THEN
second objective of introducing some "style / class / flair".

If that proves to be the case brilliant, however, if we continue to see dour effective football I think we'll see a Big Sam / West  Ham scenario.

Thus far, good job, need to continue with this and slowly introduce some style as and when its appropriate/ practical.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3505 on: November 02, 2014, 02:39:55 PM »
I wasn't at yesterday's game so won't comment on that but a few comments here are not reflecting the fact that have played some good football this season .... it's not been all dour by any means.
There are signs that AI wants us keeping the ball better. Dawson's introduction has helped as he does pass better than any of our other centre backs. Also Gardner and Morrison are better on the ball than Yacob and Mulumbu.
It would be nice to have a fit and firing Varela playing but we can only hope that happens sometime soon.
Several games under Hodgson were tedious in the extreme based around a solid back four and Mulumbu and Scharner in centre midfield.
I think AI is currently doing a good job.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggies37

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3506 on: November 02, 2014, 10:04:59 PM »
I wasn't at yesterday's game so won't comment on that but a few comments here are not reflecting the fact that have played some good football this season .... it's not been all dour by any means.
There are signs that AI wants us keeping the ball better. Dawson's introduction has helped as he does pass better than any of our other centre backs. Also Gardner and Morrison are better on the ball than Yacob and Mulumbu.
It would be nice to have a fit and firing Varela playing but we can only hope that happens sometime soon.
Several games under Hodgson were tedious in the extreme based around a solid back four and Mulumbu and Scharner in centre midfield.
I think AI is currently doing a good job.

I have to agree.  I thought Hodgson's tenure was a successful one.  Yet some on here seem to refer to Irvine's football as Hodgson like.  I can only find that a good thing.

We need to keep the ball well in this league.  And we are doing that for the most part.

1 defeat in 6.  3 wins and 2 draws.  I find it hard how to find fault.

Irvine abilities are tested as a coach.  When Irvine stated "he hadnt even seen Ideye play" when we shelled out 10mil,  that kinda of set the precedence.  In this day and age of football finance,  the purchase of players is left to other key areas of the West Bromwich Albion business.  Irvine's job is too mould that. The days of the traditional "manager" both in the business and footballing sense are gone.

In this respect we are forward moving at least for the time being and long may it continue.
norwich baggies

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3507 on: November 03, 2014, 05:18:40 PM »
My real hope is that AI has set out to

firstly, achieve the initial objective of a  solid base which will keep us up, THEN
second objective of introducing some "style / class / flair".

If that proves to be the case brilliant, however, if we continue to see dour effective football I think we'll see a Big Sam / West  Ham scenario.

Thus far, good job, need to continue with this and slowly introduce some style as and when its appropriate/ practical.

EXACTLY!!!  :D

Some people on here are expecting the finished article with a new manager and a brand new squad.

Judge the man on 10 games - and he has done a great job. Much much better than anyone expected.

Now let's give him the rest of the season to see if he can develop the attacking spirit of the side.

We are 10th after 10 games. Some people on here need to take a reality check.

If the football's boring, why not stay at home and watch man city and chelsea on the telly.

Personally the games I have seen this season (admittedly on the telly) we've played a good level of football. We are a competitive Premiership side, I doidn't think we would be this season.

To expect anything more than being a competitive Premiership side is unrealistic.

Maybe some people would prefer us dropping down a division and watching champagne football  :-X

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3508 on: November 03, 2014, 05:31:16 PM »
I think everyone playing in our midfield currently are able passers. You can argue they lack other attributes but they are all good footballers. We have played some good football this season that surpasses some of Hodgson's. Our home record was atrocious under Roy. No body is above criticism and no one should be denied rightful praise.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3509 on: November 03, 2014, 07:45:37 PM »
We have the same number of points as Man Utd and are only 4 points off the top 4. Look how much Man Utd have spent over the summer. Look how much Liverpool have spent and they are only 1 point above us.

We have played the same number of games as both the above and therefore based on current form to date I am pleased with the way we have started the season and AI approach. At Leicester the fans at the end were not saying " this is rubbish " they were clapping and cheering the team off the pitch.

So far so good but still not counting my chickens. Get to 40 points then I will say good job , well done.

Silver Thostle

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #3510 on: November 03, 2014, 07:52:11 PM »
In some ways, although with obviously less experience, AI reminds me a little of RH, in that he has his own mind, and knows what he wants.

Bearing in mind this is one heck of a massive leap for this guy, and has really jumped into a hot bed of a job.

Seems to be handling himself ok, and maybe with some patience from some fans, could well be the next David moyes, or Alex ferguson, big ask I know but we can dream and get behind him.

At the moment we have Dawson on fire, lescott sublime, berahino setting the PL alight, Gardner playing the best of his career, the positives are there, and we fans need to get 100% behind him.

I hated his appointment, however he is learning and coping far better than. Expected, ear,y days, but far better than most expected.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:54:31 PM by Silver Thostle »

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3511 on: November 03, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »
He is doing a good job so far, bringing a bit of stability to the team. We have more points than games played and an even goal difference. He has been the only one of our coaches to drop Jonas Ollsson and i think this has made our defence more solid. Would like him to be a little more daring.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3512 on: November 03, 2014, 08:50:39 PM »
It's mind numbing to be honest. The Hodgson team was never as toothless though that was mainly down to Odemwingie. Also it didn't leak goals for fun at home.

So that was mainly down to Odemwingie and now people say this is down to Berahino. Are teams not allowed a star striker any more?

ComebackStrodds

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3513 on: November 03, 2014, 09:00:56 PM »
So that was mainly down to Odemwingie and now people say this is down to Berahino. Are teams not allowed a star striker any more?

Good comment. I think a lot of posters on here must be in their teens and early twenties as those who have been through the early to mid 90's with Albion would be greatful that we have a manager in Irvine that although it's early days looks to bringing stability. It baffles me why people keep harping on about Pepe Mel, yes he was a likeable character, but he was rubbish, let's be honest.  It's almost as though the blinkers come on as soon as we get a foreign coach. It was only a few years ago I realised I was deluded in thinking that Ardilles would have achieved back to back promotions had he not have gone to his beloved Spurs. Get behind Irvine!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3514 on: November 03, 2014, 10:23:09 PM »
Haven't heard Pepe Mel mentioned for ages on here (but he wasn't rubbish).

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3515 on: November 03, 2014, 10:35:17 PM »

You have missed the point I was making. We're toothless with or without Berahino. As to the guy who watches from his armchair and posted people should stay at home and watch Man City... Priceless.

Then you've got fiery comparing the man to Sir Alex. Unbelievable.

Finally why do people harp on about the 90s when people complain about what we're getting now? It was about a tenner in back then. You knew what you were going to get from those Albion sides. This is our 5th consecutive year at the top table and it's going to be a huge struggle.  Mostly due to the managerial appointment.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

ComebackStrodds

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3516 on: November 03, 2014, 10:45:27 PM »
Haven't heard Pepe Mel mentioned for ages on here (but he wasn't rubbish).

We won 3 games out of 17 under Pepe Mel, don't get me wrong I liked him and wanted him to have more time. If Irvine won 1 out of 17 with us his name would be mud. People need to get over the fact he's not had a great time with Sheffield Wednesday / Preston in the 3rd tier, at the end of the day the reality is is that he didn't have the resources he needed to succeed. A crock Neil Mellor isn't going win you anything.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3517 on: November 03, 2014, 10:49:08 PM »
1, we're not toothless look at the goals scored column,
2. Armchair supporter, if you are correct, yes hilarious
3, AI wasn't compared to SAF, the poster siad he might become a Moyes / SAF if we dream
4. tenner in the 90's propably =£35 now, whats your point
5. Knew what you'd get from an Albion team, I've watched albion since the mid 70's and we have never been predictable. NEVER
6. This is our 5th consecutive year at the top table and it's going to be a huge struggle, whilst i haven't got your crystal ball, statistically(pts/game) we are on course to be safe before the dreaded run in. Who knows maybe your crystal ball is accurate only time will tell.

Overall a pretty negative post, Why you are SO negative at the moment i don't understand, 
We are in a decent position, no more no less,
Enjoy it mate, coz with the Albion you know there will a worse time not too far away.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:11:39 PM by OldburyWBA »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3518 on: November 03, 2014, 10:50:41 PM »
People need to get over the fact he's not had a great time with Sheffield Wednesday / Preston in the 3rd tier, at the end of the day the reality is is that he didn't have the resources he needed to succeed. A crock Neil Mellor isn't going win you anything.

There was that article a few weeks back also where he was explaining at Sheff Wed he had no scouts, so he'd do 7am till 5 or whatever at the "office" on the pitch etc, then drive 100+ miles to a 7:45 match, to watch a guy, then drive back and get home for 11:30 or something. That was a normal day for him and only 1 facet of what he had to do. No wonder it didn't work and it is a world apart from what he needs to do with us. The voices i'm interested in are people like Joleon, who sign for us because of AI and respect for his coaching.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

ComebackStrodds

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3519 on: November 03, 2014, 11:03:01 PM »
There was that article a few weeks back also where he was explaining at Sheff Wed he had no scouts, so he'd do 7am till 5 or whatever at the "office" on the pitch etc, then drive 100+ miles to a 7:45 match, to watch a guy, then drive back and get home for 11:30 or something. That was a normal day for him and only 1 facet of what he had to do. No wonder it didn't work and it is a world apart from what he needs to do with us. The voices i'm interested in are people like Joleon, who sign for us because of AI and respect for his coaching.

Absolutely, I haven't seen the article but you can see AI doing that, the guy is a work horse. I am at this point in time pleased he has joined us. Tim Sherwood would have made us a laughing stock.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3520 on: November 03, 2014, 11:09:19 PM »
Absolutely, I haven't seen the article but you can see AI doing that, the guy is a work horse. I am at this point in time pleased he has joined us. Tim Sherwood would have made us a laughing stock.

This was one of them

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2798605/alan-irvine-doesn-t-know-west-brom-players-earn-s-far-cry-scouting-conducting-contract-negotiations-sheffield-wednesday.html

But there were many on a theme for that day or so, not sure this was the article i read at the time. Sheerwood is a loud mouth self promoter. If Albion had signed him we'd be a world of trouble. People like him because he's "honest", but i don't really want the public face of our team being honest about the hundred little things that go on behind closed doors.

Many shouts from the massed crowd are one made of passion. Few of them are professional and passion gets you where Leeds, Bradford, Wolves, Brum etc etc etc are. Professional gets you 8th-15th in the Prem year on year on year (17th last time as we weren't very professional at certain points)
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3521 on: November 04, 2014, 07:18:16 AM »
This was one of them

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2798605/alan-irvine-doesn-t-know-west-brom-players-earn-s-far-cry-scouting-conducting-contract-negotiations-sheffield-wednesday.html

But there were many on a theme for that day or so, not sure this was the article i read at the time. Sheerwood is a loud mouth self promoter. If Albion had signed him we'd be a world of trouble. People like him because he's "honest", but i don't really want the public face of our team being honest about the hundred little things that go on behind closed doors.

Many shouts from the massed crowd are one made of passion. Few of them are professional and passion gets you where Leeds, Bradford, Wolves, Brum etc etc etc are. Professional gets you 8th-15th in the Prem year on year on year (17th last time as we weren't very professional at certain points)

So true! I never understood the clamour for Sherwood, he has done nothing except trumpet his own cleverness. A self promoting nonentity whose only advantage to Albion would have been his closeness to the London press.

So far Irvine has done everything that could have been asked. He has taken a fractured team and mended it, he has blended some new players with the established, he has taken big decisions about leaving out players many thought irreplaceable, he has given the team and backbone, he was influential in getting Lescott and we have more points on the board than games played. Oh, and he has reached this stage with absolutely no sign of being "out by November".

Still, never mind, he's obviously rubbish and out of his depth isn't he.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3522 on: November 04, 2014, 07:48:18 PM »
The half way point is where we will get a proper perspective of where we are as a team, when we have played every team once. If we lose the next 3 games (which is quite likely), we will have 13 points from 13 games and everything will look a little less rosy. Not yet convinced that Jacko's perceived negativity isn't in fact a realistic assessment and that a few reasonable results haven't clouded some people's judgement

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3523 on: November 04, 2014, 09:02:11 PM »
The half way point is where we will get a proper perspective of where we are as a team, when we have played every team once. If we lose the next 3 games (which is quite likely), we will have 13 points from 13 games and everything will look a little less rosy. Not yet convinced that Jacko's perceived negativity isn't in fact a realistic assessment and that a few reasonable results haven't clouded some people's judgement
It could all go pear shaped of course (always applies anyway) BUT it's not clouded judgement, it's looking at what you see and judging on that. 

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3524 on: November 05, 2014, 07:02:28 AM »
I would suggest that the negativity surrounding his appointment and the views of a number of Sheff Wednesday supporters have clouded some people's judgement.  The open minded supporter who looks at the current position rather than lives in the past has to say that he is doing a good enough job based on results.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.