Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1758949 times)

bartleygreen baggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #2600 on: September 15, 2014, 05:31:10 PM »
Writing seems to be on the wall with that poll result so far.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2601 on: September 15, 2014, 05:47:04 PM »
I would be delighted to get three points on Sunday but it will still not hide the fact that for me personally I will never understand how Irvine was the best man for the job.
and this i think is why there is so much angst amongst the support. The spin the club put on his appointment was utter bullpoo and the majority just cannot comprehend why !!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:48:58 PM by OldburyWBA »
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Ben1983

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2602 on: September 15, 2014, 06:08:52 PM »
Apologies Liam, this was your post way back when he was appointed, but I thought it was worth re-posting. Even after 5 games, it is already easy to identify with the comments and nothing seems to have changed in the way he manages/coaches. For those of you that think things may improve, think again !!

uthor=LiamTheBaggie link=topic=13829.msg304164#msg304164 date=1402770312]
Comments on a Sheffield Wednesday forum:

SiJ - "The worst manager I think I've ever seen. Clueless doesn't even cover it."

Bruce Lee - "Worst Wednesday manager in my lifetime And we've had some serious bobbins"

AndoverOwl - "Liam, you have my deepest sympathy. Although he's got loads of badges"

HuddersOwl - "Have you got any coaching badges??? If not then your not allowed to pass comment "

Eccleshall Owl - "The worst 'manager' I've ever seen at SWFC "

Grandad - "Theworst manager I've ever seen at Hillsborough. The worst football. The only time I've ever fallen asleep at Hillsborough was watching his football and it happened 3 times.

SiJ - "The man was scared to take on the likes of Bournemouth in League One, so flip knows what sort of approach he'll adopt for when Chelsea, City come to town. "

Random Task - "He made the pitch as wide as legally possible then proceeded to play 4 central midfielders at home with no wingers. "

Watford Owl - "You can look forward to the biggest bypass of a personality that will make you scream for Dave Jones to come and cheer you up afterwards."

Reading Owl - "TBF I never really disliked the bloke. He was just absolutely rubbish."

Mcmigo - " by far the worst manager we've ever had, it is astonishing he has landed a gig in the Premiership."

Taxi Mark - What have WBA done here, he is one of the worst managers I've seen at Hillsboro' ever!"

Alan Harper - I can't even decide what the low point of the Irvine era was. Playing for a point at Cardiff when only a win would have made any difference? Going down with a whimper against Palace, bringing on a midfelder for a striker just after we'd equalised in a win or bust game? Losing 5-1 at Exeter? Failing to win at home against 9 man Yeovil? Losing 4-0 at Leyton Orient with our own fans chanting (hopefully) "you're getting sacked in the morning"?

Miffed - would be laughing if it were any other club, but I feel for the West Brom fans

SWFC_Liam - "Oh my word that's a shocking appointment, he was awful for us. Took us down into League One, and by February had us sitting in the bottom half looking nervously over our shoulders at the relegation places. He was appointed at a tough time but he didn't help himself. Sets up very negatively, usually a rigid 4-4-2 with very little fluidity. The best bit about it was he made the pitch at Hillsborough absolutely huge but refused to play with wingers, he used 4 central midfield players all the time"

Just a small selection but hardly a glowing reference.

Made me feel even worse  :-\ :-[ :'(
WestBrom.com FC Number 10

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2603 on: September 15, 2014, 06:42:18 PM »
Apologies Liam, this was your post way back when he was appointed, but I thought it was worth re-posting. Even after 5 games, it is already easy to identify with the comments and nothing seems to have changed in the way he manages/coaches. For those of you that think things may improve, think again !!

uthor=LiamTheBaggie link=topic=13829.msg304164#msg304164 date=1402770312]
Comments on a Sheffield Wednesday forum:

SiJ - "The worst manager I think I've ever seen. Clueless doesn't even cover it."

Bruce Lee - "Worst Wednesday manager in my lifetime And we've had some serious bobbins"

AndoverOwl - "Liam, you have my deepest sympathy. Although he's got loads of badges"

HuddersOwl - "Have you got any coaching badges??? If not then your not allowed to pass comment "

Eccleshall Owl - "The worst 'manager' I've ever seen at SWFC "

Grandad - "Theworst manager I've ever seen at Hillsborough. The worst football. The only time I've ever fallen asleep at Hillsborough was watching his football and it happened 3 times.

SiJ - "The man was scared to take on the likes of Bournemouth in League One, so flip knows what sort of approach he'll adopt for when Chelsea, City come to town. "

Random Task - "He made the pitch as wide as legally possible then proceeded to play 4 central midfielders at home with no wingers. "

Watford Owl - "You can look forward to the biggest bypass of a personality that will make you scream for Dave Jones to come and cheer you up afterwards."

Reading Owl - "TBF I never really disliked the bloke. He was just absolutely rubbish."

Mcmigo - " by far the worst manager we've ever had, it is astonishing he has landed a gig in the Premiership."

Taxi Mark - What have WBA done here, he is one of the worst managers I've seen at Hillsboro' ever!"

Alan Harper - I can't even decide what the low point of the Irvine era was. Playing for a point at Cardiff when only a win would have made any difference? Going down with a whimper against Palace, bringing on a midfelder for a striker just after we'd equalised in a win or bust game? Losing 5-1 at Exeter? Failing to win at home against 9 man Yeovil? Losing 4-0 at Leyton Orient with our own fans chanting (hopefully) "you're getting sacked in the morning"?

Miffed - would be laughing if it were any other club, but I feel for the West Brom fans

SWFC_Liam - "Oh my word that's a shocking appointment, he was awful for us. Took us down into League One, and by February had us sitting in the bottom half looking nervously over our shoulders at the relegation places. He was appointed at a tough time but he didn't help himself. Sets up very negatively, usually a rigid 4-4-2 with very little fluidity. The best bit about it was he made the pitch at Hillsborough absolutely huge but refused to play with wingers, he used 4 central midfield players all the time"

Just a small selection but hardly a glowing reference.

Have you passed it on to JP
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2604 on: September 15, 2014, 06:46:04 PM »
i have just heard someone say on WM that Irvine is a glorified PE teacher

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2605 on: September 15, 2014, 06:49:57 PM »
Those comments I quoted were just the nice ones on their forum.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2606 on: September 15, 2014, 06:54:19 PM »
I would be delighted to get three points on Sunday but it will still not hide the fact that for me personally I will never understand how Irvine was the best man for the job.

If Irvine was the best man for the job then surely he was the best man in January when he was out of work?

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2607 on: September 15, 2014, 06:55:52 PM »
If Irvine was the best man for the job then surely he was the best man in January when he was out of work?

??? I thought he left his job at Everton to work for us? So he's not been out of work for years?
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2608 on: September 15, 2014, 06:56:36 PM »

Good point well put ;)

cheesyknackers

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2609 on: September 15, 2014, 06:58:58 PM »
??? I thought he left his job at Everton to work for us? So he's not been out of work for years?

Academy wasnt a real job. Just making sure the soap was topped up in the kids showers probably.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2610 on: September 15, 2014, 06:59:17 PM »
Deeply, deeply worrying. That is all. Get a grip JP, allow a manager in with his own coaching staff!

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2611 on: September 15, 2014, 06:59:59 PM »

Notto turn this into a Mel thing. If Irvine was the right man, why not hire him last January instead of Mel

valleybaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2612 on: September 15, 2014, 07:02:59 PM »
At the start of the season I was in a very optimistic frame of mind signings made early and a team that looked good on paper with pace and ability,well done j.p. but the biggest mistake looking back is appointing a coach that won't utilise his attacking options I.e. the post above from Sheffield. Weds fans talking about Irvine playing four central midfielders across the park sounds like a formation we'll have to get used to. But the best bit about it is if he's going to play defensive why the hell did he leave a fit lescott out of the team baffles the hell out of me.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2613 on: September 15, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »
Its time we had a manager to manage all aspects , a coach can assist the manager on the training field.

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2614 on: September 15, 2014, 07:24:23 PM »

Academy wasnt a real job. Just making sure the soap was topped up in the kids showers probably.

I'd have thought running an Academy is a very hard job indeed in its way, and it seems he was good at it.

Unfortunately I think the range of skills and experience you need to do well with a group of talented kids is completely different to working in the Premier League with a middling to poor side trying to get it to be a fair to middling one.

Again it begs the question, why the hell give the man the gig then?

Anyone who thinks he deserves until Xmas is avin a loff...

...and I can hear the chortles from chez Peace from here. 

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2615 on: September 15, 2014, 07:28:22 PM »
Its time we had a manager to manage all aspects , a coach can assist the manager on the training field.

I don't understand the deal with Downing & Kiely though why are they untouchable? Anybody coming in should bring their staff. Its how things evolve

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2616 on: September 15, 2014, 07:29:56 PM »

Should have rephrased my point better: I meant out of work in a proper managerial job.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2617 on: September 15, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
I keep seeing "until Xmas " , unless there's major improvement quickly I doubt Irvine will see October out. As for waiting until the new players are fit I 'd agree if we had a head coach who actually attacked, pointless giving attacking players to a bloke who doesn't like to leave the half way line.
Matter of time IMO.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Yamaka

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2618 on: September 15, 2014, 07:52:20 PM »
I don't understand the deal with Downing & Kiely though why are they untouchable? Anybody coming in should bring their staff. Its how things evolve

I agree unfortunately the buzz word is not "evolve" but "continuity". JP seems to be under some kind of spell :-[
I never could kwite get the hang of spelling.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2619 on: September 15, 2014, 08:09:26 PM »
Go now, get Pulis in, the one I called this time last year  :-*
Allllllll aboard

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2620 on: September 15, 2014, 08:31:49 PM »
And finally to Legend, who seems to have become the most optimistic poster on here. This is what you posted before the season started. What on earth have you seen to suddenly make you think that your original assessment was wrong?

I admit on the day he was appointed I couldn't get my head round it and thought it was an awful decision but a few days later I thought why not give him a chance because I thought some of the comments about him from others were over the top. After hearing Peace and Burton explain the decision I come around to the thought that he could do well here and I honestly still believe that he can given time. The large majority don't think so but it's all about opinions.

With the Sheffield Wednesday fans comments well you could compare our comments about Gary Megson to say Bolton or Forest fans. You could look at what the majority of Albion fans think of Mowbray as a manager compared to Celtic and Middlesbrough fans. You could look at how Liverpool or Blackburn fans view Hodgson compared to us. I think Irvine should be judged as West Brom head coach, not what happened elsewhere like I did when he was appointed.
the regime don't like it man

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2621 on: September 15, 2014, 08:38:40 PM »
I admit on the day he was appointed I couldn't get my head round it and thought it was an awful decision but a few days later I thought why not give him a chance because I thought some of the comments about him from others were over the top. After hearing Peace and Burton explain the decision I come around to the thought that he could do well here and I honestly still believe that he can given time. The large majority don't think so but it's all about opinions.

With the Sheffield Wednesday fans comments well you could compare our comments about Gary Megson to say Bolton or Forest fans. You could look at what the majority of Albion fans think of Mowbray as a manager compared to Celtic and Middlesbrough fans. You could look at how Liverpool or Blackburn fans view Hodgson compared to us. I think Irvine should be judged as West Brom head coach, not what happened elsewhere like I did when he was appointed.

The point is that he is being judged as West Brom coach and his performance and tactics over these 5 games which are quite frankly appalling!

Yamaka

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2622 on: September 15, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »

With the Sheffield Wednesday fans comments well you could compare our comments about Gary Megson to say Bolton or Forest fans. You could look at what the majority of Albion fans think of Mowbray as a manager compared to Celtic and Middlesbrough fans. You could look at how Liverpool or Blackburn fans view Hodgson compared to us. I think Irvine should be judged as West Brom head coach, not what happened elsewhere like I did when he was appointed

So we have changed the carburettor four times and the car is still playing up.  What next?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:44:09 PM by Yamaka »
I never could kwite get the hang of spelling.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2623 on: September 15, 2014, 08:41:47 PM »
Hernandaz had no "pre-season" and was waiting for a work permit, but went straight into the Hull team tonight and has just put them 1-0 up
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2624 on: September 15, 2014, 08:47:10 PM »
So we have changed the carburettor four times and the car is still playing up.  What next?

Yes but we have still got some of the old clapped out carburettors in the engine, namely our untouchable assistant coaches who have contributed to the car breaking down with the last 2 head coaches!