Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1758949 times)

botters

• Youth Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #2325 on: September 13, 2014, 08:04:43 PM »
Peace is not impressed, could be gone after Tottenham

Where have you heard that from?

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2326 on: September 13, 2014, 08:06:50 PM »
Pulis would want his own men in and overall control and we know that this would not happen under the current system.
surely that depends upon how much JP wants to stay up ?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2327 on: September 13, 2014, 08:06:55 PM »
Club needs a complete shakeup on the coaching staff through to sections of the playing squad.

Yes we let 11 go at the end of the season blah blah but only 2 were what can be considered regulars in Jones and Ridgewell, the others including Gera, Reid, Lugano were all bit part so even bringing in 11 as we have we have just replaced the numbers. Time for Irvine to get those into the starting xi and finding a way to get them to gel. Forget whether someone has been a good servant and what they have done in the past, its the here and now that counts.

I worry that Irvine is out of his depth, he may be a great coach and the players may love him but that counts for nothing when you are not winning games. Sammy Lee and Rene Meulenstein are reportedly great coaches but neither were capable of making the step up to the job of sole responsiblity.

Tottenham I expect nothing but the Burnley game is a big big game for us.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Avonbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2328 on: September 13, 2014, 08:23:12 PM »
I echo others thoughts. Didn't want Irvine and didn't think he would be capable and so far he has done nothing to disprove the doubters.

And if he says any players still aren't fit next week then he should be sacked because we are a month into the season and that would clearly indicate that they aren't receiving the correct training. Even i'm ready to play 90 minutes under Irvine's system and i've been tucking into half-time pies every bloody match!

boult

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2329 on: September 13, 2014, 08:24:27 PM »
one excuses after another from the coach. A clueless display no cutting edge upfront no drive from the midfield and defenders clueless but on a brighter note according to the coach they are great on the training pitch. Lets face it we are heading into the championship with this negative coach in charge he is totally out of his depth clueless in every department. I have never been so depressed after leaving a game until he has gone i will go and watch my local club Evesham united play it will be more enjoyable i hope

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2330 on: September 13, 2014, 08:24:54 PM »
No fella......you're way off. There will undoubtedly be the pessimists among the Albion fraternity, some of whom will be 'vultures' for their own cause. But lets get this straight.....there is an overwhelming concern that our mangers' philosophy......be it based on the views of previous fans or not........is that his way leads to, un-energetic and flat defensive performances that leave fans completely uninspired - this in my view is a fair concern - after all, the football seen thus far certainly adds weight to this argument. On a (perhaps fairer) note, this team is certainly work in progress - 11 or so new faces, many of them seemingly lacking fitness. For this he will have time......and is entitled to it. During our first 3 games, the analysis of each game is certainly wide and varied - we could, and should of closed out the Sunderland game......dare I say it with a little more positivity! Southampton was a ridged and methodical display that in fairness could of gone either way.....albeit with an glaring lack of quality seen on BOTH fronts! Swansea was completely soul destroying, no endeavour, guile, passion and desire - "is this really the fruits of organisation"?!

The team (squad) unfortunately is in the 'walking wounded' corner - this is a challenge faced by managers many many times during their careers...Irvine is not special in this respect. We are however capable of fielding a strong, fit, technical and competent team....that with home support can get a result, or a least give us a performance. We are not playing 'World beaters', FFS they have conceded 10 goals in their last 3 games! If by the end of the game, and we haven't seen a performance with a clear intent to be victorious over our opponents, I for one will 'turn the screw' on the gaffer - there's simply no excuse. I'm no MENSA student, but what I can promise is......that a negative approach is another game 'slung at the wall'. It's his choice and his bed........I sincerely hope he has a 'springy mattress'! I wish Irvine all the very best and pray for his success......but in any walk of life, let's see how much of his own luck he makes.

I posted this yesterday - not really that far away was I? Clarke was nowhere near this predictable !

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2331 on: September 13, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »
I posted this yesterday - not really that far away was I? Clarke was nowhere near this predictable !
Agree. Clarke at his worst was still more organised defensively, whilst as poor Mel could be at times, he was also very competitive and had a good home record.

Alan Irvine is just a terrible manager, it's that simple. The club can still act accordingly if they sack him immediately.

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2332 on: September 13, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »

Tottenham I expect nothing but the Burnley game is a big big game for us.

I think burnley will hammer us, having watched them play a couple of times, far more organised and know what they are doing. that will be it for AI i think, he'll be gone then, if not JP wants us to go down
Even Cillit would have banged that one in..

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2333 on: September 13, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »
Agree. Clarke at his worst was still more organised defensively, whilst as poor Mel could be at times, he was also very competitive and had a good home record.

Alan Irvine is just a terrible manager, it's that simple. The club can still act accordingly if they sack him immediately.

He needs to go NOW and Keily and Downing need to go with him. Bring in a new, fresh coaching team.

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2334 on: September 13, 2014, 08:41:39 PM »
If Peace is not impressed then I would imagine he'll give Irvine till the Burnley game.

no one's impressed and 30k people told him when he signed this half wit

Baggy nerd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2335 on: September 13, 2014, 08:58:04 PM »
Any sensible fan knew what was going to happen so it is no shock. I have a Sheff Wed supporting friend who told me how he played hoofball with no wingers and it is true. If he couldn't get results in Championship/League 1 he was never going to get them in the Prem. He was appointed because he was good at interview and has a good reputation in the game as a coach but that does not make him a Prem manager. We are already at a disadvantage to most Prem clubs who can spend millions so the only way to bridge the gap is to bring the right manager in who can either organise a team or get them playing above their level. Irvine is not the man. I would not normally agree with giving a manager such a short run because they do need time to put a team together. However there are no reasons to think he can put a decent team together. If they give him 10 games I believe we will be stuck with 4 points possibly needing another 36 from 28 games which would be a major task for a new manager. Therefore if the results and performances are the same in the next 2 games I can see JP acting. It is such a shame because I believe so many of the decisions made in the close season were quite good (although 10 million for Ideye is looking a lot of money.) I had major concerns when AI was appointed. I had major concerns in pre season when he commented that we would not be coming up against quality teams every week. I have major concerns now the season has started and the performances have been dire. I am very upset that this managerial decision could undo all the good work that has been done at this club recently. I believe that this club has been run brilliantly and punched above its weight more than almost any other club in the country. 15 years ago I never dreamt we would get back to the top. I certainly never thought we would have 5 successive seasons in the top flight. I don't want it to end. Sorry to waffle on.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:59:58 PM by Baggy nerd »

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2336 on: September 13, 2014, 09:03:22 PM »
I am normally a fairly up beat poster, but this debacle has to end soon, when a manager/coach, blames defeat week after week on the odd mistake, (and yes Olsson has been responsible for most of them), then you have to look at the reaction to those mistakes, during the game and before the next match, there has been NO reaction, not from Irvine or the players, we are sleep walking to relegation.

Irvine may be a very good coach, but his in match analysis is woeful, his dynamic decision making atrocious, his credibility is almost zero.

My only hope is that the Scots vote for independence and as a result Irvine requires a work permit which is refused, its a long shot I know, but so is an Irvine win before he is sacked.
Baggie in Southampton

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2337 on: September 13, 2014, 09:11:42 PM »
I can see that along with myself,many of the more positive posters, or "happy clappers" are now sitting in the negative camp and have also had enough of this debacle. I wanted him to prove us doubters wrong and I feel sorry for the man but I just can't see him turning it around.

Does anybody think a poor team, poor performance and a thrashing at Tottenham next week would be "for the greater good?" As in if its so bad he could get the boot next week? The sooner the better if its going to happen.

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2338 on: September 13, 2014, 09:13:13 PM »
we've had a shocker and we told them so. but we are just fans, we not only watch the Albion but all the other games too, god knows what bubble jp is in.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2339 on: September 13, 2014, 09:14:11 PM »
I can see that along with myself,many of the more positive posters, or "happy clappers" are now sitting in the negative camp and have also had enough of this debacle. I wanted him to prove us doubters wrong and I feel sorry for the man but I just can't see him turning it around.

Does anybody think a poor team, poor performance and a thrashing at Tottenham next week would be "for the greater good?" As in if its so bad he could get the boot next week? The sooner the better if its going to happen.

I've said in the pre-match thread I'm almost, and I only mean almost hoping for an embarrassing defeat to send him packing, a six or seven.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2340 on: September 13, 2014, 09:15:54 PM »
The worrying problem for me is that after our dismal effort at Swansea I expected a much better response today from an Albion side itching to put the record straight and prove a point. Unfortunately it didn't happen and if anything we looked just as bad as we did against Swansea

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2341 on: September 13, 2014, 09:16:06 PM »

some heated discussions on here with some positive posters, but that's bygones now as we only have the club and prem survival in mind. I think getting beat by Burnley will do it. If he doesn't go this week.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2342 on: September 13, 2014, 09:17:06 PM »
Somebody said earlier that the Burnley game is big for us. I think that says - with all due respect to Burnley and their fans - how very far we've fallen. Come in JP get a grip on this.
Anyone saying no one will take the job only has to look at where we were when Hodgson took the job. There is someone out there... Just might require a bit more than a box of fivers and the swivel chair to take home at weekends.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2343 on: September 13, 2014, 09:17:55 PM »
His press interviews are frankly just full of absolute drivel

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2344 on: September 13, 2014, 09:20:14 PM »
His press interviews are frankly just full of absolute drivel

Don't tell me: "We'll continue to work hard on the training field." ??
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2345 on: September 13, 2014, 09:24:39 PM »
Don't tell me: "We'll continue to work hard on the training field." ??

His interviews are as bad as his football, it's so predictable.

Before the game it's: "(Insert opposing team name here) are a great team, they have great quality and can harm us, we have to be careful of their ability"

After the game it's: "We trained well during the week, we had a moment of bad luck and will have to try harder next game. Some of the players were not available"

Rinse and repeat.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2346 on: September 13, 2014, 09:28:20 PM »
Well to be fair, those are just standard interview sound bites. Basically every manager says them. Not much different to what Mel was saying in his either when we had some particularly awful performances and results. People lapped that up though because he praised the supporters.

He's got a lot wrong these games but the players probably deserve even more criticism, two games in a row we've conceded thanks to 2 of our most senior pro's - Brunt and Olsson, passing the ball from inside their own box directly to the opposition. That's just unaccountably bad play.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2347 on: September 13, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »
I hate to say it, but he's out of his depth.

As a Premier league team, you're looking for more in the way of tactics than just 'keep pressing them'. What should we be doing to hurt them when we have the ball? Why are Berahino and Ideye stuck up there with no support? Why are the substitutions always late, and the wrong ones?

We can see it on the terraces, why can nobody else?

But hey, at least the players are enjoying their training.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2348 on: September 13, 2014, 09:35:51 PM »
Well to be fair, those are just standard interview sound bites. Basically every manager says them. Not much different to what Mel was saying in his either when we had some particularly awful performances and results. People lapped that up though because he praised the supporters.

He's got a lot wrong these games but the players probably deserve even more criticism, two games in a row we've conceded thanks to 2 of our most senior pro's - Brunt and Olsson, passing the ball from inside their own box directly to the opposition. That's just unaccountably bad play.

When you only have 3 shots on target in 180 minutes of football, its irrelevant, you will lose anyway!
Baggie in Southampton

Regis no 1

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2349 on: September 13, 2014, 09:44:14 PM »
Hope when I get up in the morning sky sports headline will be Alan Irvine Sacked after 5 games .
The Lord is my shepherd .