Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1758922 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #1450 on: August 15, 2014, 08:15:49 AM »
Www.wba.co.uk/news/article/irvines-training-sessions-simply-the-best-gardner-1829523.aspx

Gardner set to make Baggies bow against former employers

CRAIG Gardner has hailed head coach Alan Irvine as one of the best he has ever worked under on the eve of the new Barclays Premier League season.

The Scot has received high praise from several Albion players for his coaching sessions since his appointment at The Hawthorns earlier this summer.

And midfielder Gardner, himself a summer recruit from Saturday’s opponents Sunderland, is the latest to applaud Irvine’s methods both on and also off the training pitch.

“The manager has come in and he’s got us going and got us firing straight away, and we’re going to take that into the season,” Gardner said.

“I think before you judge him you need to watch his training sessions, you need to be in the changing room, you need to really know him; he’s come here and been brilliant.

“I’m not just saying that because he’s the manager and he picks the team, he truly has been brilliant.

“His training sessions are different class, he talks really, really well in the changing room. He knows what he’s on about, he doesn’t talk for the sake of it.

“He’s a top-class coach and he’s a top-class person.

“It’s the same with Keith (Downing), Rob (Kelly) and Dean (Kiely) as well, they all know what they’re on about.

“On the training pitch we get well-set drills and it’s proper training sessions that relate to proper games. It’s not just ‘go out there and play football’.”

Gardner has worked under the likes of Martin O’Neill, Gerard Houllier, Alex McLeish and Steve Bruce, among others, during his club career.

And asked whether Irvine is one of the finest coaches he has experienced to date, Gardner replied: “Coaching-wise he’s probably the best, yes.

“Again, I’m not just saying it, he’s very, very good.

“I’ve worked under a lot of people, Martin O’Neill was top class, Alex McLeish was very, very good as well.

“But Alan Irvine is a top-class coach, he’s really taken training sessions by the scruff of the neck.”

No we don't we judge him by results that's what matters not whether the players like him or not. If his coaching is that good it'll show in the results, if the results are bad, given the fact that football is a results based industry, then his methods don't work when they need to regardless of whether or not he impresses on the training ground.

Irvine has to walk the walk, all the superficial praise is just that, superficial.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1451 on: August 15, 2014, 08:17:12 AM »
Talk is cheap - we've heard all this kind of stuff from players time and time again, and they've then gone out and give consistently terrible performances. They can talk all they like, but all that really matters is what they do during matches.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1452 on: August 15, 2014, 08:21:40 AM »
Www.wba.co.uk/news/article/irvines-training-sessions-simply-the-best-gardner-1829523.aspx

CRAIG Gardner has hailed head coach Alan Irvine as one of the best he has ever worked under on the eve of the new Barclays Premier League season.

The Scot has received high praise from several Albion players for his coaching sessions since his appointment at The Hawthorns earlier this summer.

And midfielder Gardner, himself a summer recruit from Saturday’s opponents Sunderland, is the latest to applaud Irvine’s methods both on and also off the training pitch.

“The manager has come in and he’s got us going and got us firing straight away, and we’re going to take that into the season,” Gardner said.

“I think before you judge him you need to watch his training sessions, you need to be in the changing room, you need to really know him; he’s come here and been brilliant.
“I’m not just saying that because he’s the manager and he picks the team, he truly has been brilliant.

“His training sessions are different class, he talks really, really well in the changing room. He knows what he’s on about, he doesn’t talk for the sake of it.

“It’s the same with Keith (Downing), Rob (Kelly) and Dean (Kiely) as well, they all know what they’re on about.

“On the training pitch we get well-set drills and it’s proper training sessions that relate to proper games. It’s not just ‘go out there and play football’.”

Gardner has worked under the likes of Martin O’Neill, Gerard Houllier, Alex McLeish and Steve Bruce, among others, during his club career.

And asked whether Irvine is one of the finest coaches he has experienced to date, Gardner replied: “Coaching-wise he’s probably the best, yes.

“I’ve worked under a lot of people, Martin O’Neill was top class, Alex McLeish was very, very good as well.

“But Alan Irvine is a top-class coach, he’s really taken training sessions by the scruff of the neck.”

You going to invite me to come see then Craig
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1453 on: August 15, 2014, 08:23:23 AM »
Its all perfectly well being brilliant on the training ground, you dont get any points on the training ground!

pete

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1454 on: August 15, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »
Alex McLeish was very, very good as well

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Says it all! :P
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1455 on: August 15, 2014, 08:31:54 AM »
Its all perfectly well being brilliant on the training ground, you dont get any points on the training ground!

What an attitude! If points aren't won on the training ground, why is he being slated on pre season games and judged before a ball is kicked in anger? He's a head coach and unlike the last one who the players wouldn't play for they're responding in training to him and there's a respect there. At the end of the day the 11 guys on the pitch determine if we get points off the training ground, Irvine's job is to get them on side, working together and working hard. And he's doing that apparently.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1456 on: August 15, 2014, 08:38:22 AM »
What an attitude! If points aren't won on the training ground, why is he being slated on pre season games and judged before a ball is kicked in anger? He's a head coach and unlike the last one who the players wouldn't play for they're responding in training to him and there's a respect there. At the end of the day the 11 guys on the pitch determine if we get points off the training ground, Irvine's job is to get them on side, working together and working hard. And he's doing that apparently.

I could do that. Irvine's job is to get points. If we don't get them he'll be the one who pays the price.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1457 on: August 15, 2014, 08:56:17 AM »

I could do that. Irvine's job is to get points. If we don't get them he'll be the one who pays the price.

Irvine's job is to coach the team, who in turn get points. When we drew 3-3 with Cardiff because Saido misplaced that pass rather than head to the corner, was that Pepe Mel's fault? If Jonas gives away a penalty and we lose is that Irvine's fault?

Irvine's job is to coach the team who in turn get points. And he's doing his job off the pitch it seems. And you're right what HIS work manifests itself on the pitch as is very important hence my months of saying 'let's wait til the season starts before writing him off.' I agree he does deserve blame IF his work (tactics, formation, player fitness) isn't up to scratch. If it was a case of managers winning points why do we pay 25+ players?

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1458 on: August 15, 2014, 09:14:49 AM »
The Albion PR machine has gone into overdrive with the appointment of Irvine. The picture they've painted so far is that Al;an is a mixture of Sir Alex Ferguson and Jesus Christ.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1459 on: August 15, 2014, 09:18:14 AM »
We should see some evidence tomorrow then, bring it on, i cant wait

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1460 on: August 15, 2014, 09:19:11 AM »

I bet you could not!  :P We saw the discontent from the players and poor performences when they lost respect for Mcdonough and Mel.

Irvine should get are full backing from the off, if his performances after 10 games are poor then that's a diffrent story. Not giving Irvine are full backing and carrying over the negativity from last season will only hamper this season.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1461 on: August 15, 2014, 09:23:34 AM »
The Albion PR machine has gone into overdrive with the appointment of Irvine. The picture they've painted so far is that Al;an is a mixture of Sir Alex Ferguson and Jesus Christ.

Dunno about that mate, it seems more like ..he is competent coach, the players like and respect him as a coach firstly and a man secondly.

Haven't heard anything about him being a cantankerous Scot who can perform miracles.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

peacebewithu

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1462 on: August 15, 2014, 09:45:01 AM »
Never ever ever thought I would say this but when the inevitable happens around November and we are looking for a new manager I hope Tony Pulis is still available. Palace were dead and buried when he arrived and not only did they survive but did it by playing  good attacking  football. I know it won't happen as he doesn't fit  our  Head Coach 'model', and he would certainly fall out with the Chairman over transfer funds.   

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1463 on: August 15, 2014, 10:05:25 AM »

Good to hear, it seems all the coaches and players are pulling in the right direction which can only be a good thing.
the regime don't like it man

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1464 on: August 15, 2014, 10:09:45 AM »
Exactly mate. Liverpool lost their star centre forward who scored a bag full of goals for them last season but doesn't stop them talking about a top 4 finish again, WHY, because they went out and got a replacements/replacements. We've put ALL our eggs in 1 basket, IDEYE, and if anything happens to him or he bombs, then we're f****d !!

i think you'll find they haven't replaced him yet, they've bought players in but not a striker to replace him even they are finding it difficult

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1465 on: August 15, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »
Just heard again Sherwood say he turned us down.Was Irvine a last minute desperate thing
no he was always in the running just that his name never got leaked to press and you can quote me on that as it's from the horse's mouth as in JP

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1466 on: August 15, 2014, 10:15:03 AM »
That would be embarrassing and dingle-esque

I agree. But it will happen.

The majority of fans are still smarting from the debacle of last season. Add to that the underwhelming appt of Irvine, and the kit etc, the fans imo are just waiting for a chance to let rip at the club.

The fans need convincing, and if that's not achieved in the first 6 games then rightly or wrongly, I do believe the fans will turn on him.

If he can come out of the first 6 games with 8 points - W2, D2, L2, and the style of play isn't too mind numbingly boring, then he'll have done well imo.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1467 on: August 15, 2014, 10:25:50 AM »
I agree. But it will happen.

The majority of fans are still smarting from the debacle of last season. Add to that the underwhelming appt of Irvine, and the kit etc, the fans imo are just waiting for a chance to let rip at the club.

The fans need convincing, and if that's not achieved in the first 6 games then rightly or wrongly, I do believe the fans will turn on him.

If he can come out of the first 6 games with 8 points - W2, D2, L2, and the style of play isn't too mind numbingly boring, then he'll have done well imo.

and thats how it is in a nutshell

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1468 on: August 15, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »
I have to say some of this stuff is becoming embarrassing i didn't want the bloke and made my feelings known to JP but at the end of the day he's the man in charge of the team so needs our backing, if he loses the first 4 he should walk but only if he's had a fair chance and all his players are available to him for those games,

the season starts tomorrow so can we all just for once get off his back before a league balls been kicked and back the team tomorrow   

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1469 on: August 15, 2014, 10:30:37 AM »
and as for Craig's comments fair play to him and he's not the only one to come out and say it so they all must be wrong, perhaps the dressing room all being as one will make a massive difference compared the the Pepe reign

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1470 on: August 15, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »
In the most they have talked the talk now lets see them walk the walk.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1471 on: August 15, 2014, 11:38:18 AM »
Having been not so much a left field appointment more a 5 fields away appointment ,and arriving with the usual guff from the club about being the best man for the job going forward etc should we not expect to see a marked improvement in certain areas(it would be hard to be worse than the end of last season) from this coaching guru even in the relaxed atmosphere of pre season? what we are getting as others have said are a bunch of damage limitation,its not my fault,prepare to be disappointed type comments, still the players like him so everythings good!!  >:( :( >:(
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1472 on: August 15, 2014, 11:41:40 AM »
People need to remember that a lot of words are put into players' mouths before interviews. The media (both national and in-house) is carefully controlled. Interviewees are given questions and time to think of responses before the actual interview.

I'm not doubting Craig said these things, just not sure it was all his own words. If ever I've read an interview that is aimed at fans regarding previous comments made by fans, then this is it. I think the club are trying a little too hard to defend their actions of employing someone that has vastly underwhelmed everyone.

PepeMel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1473 on: August 15, 2014, 11:44:21 AM »
Lets just see whats served up on matchdays

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1474 on: August 15, 2014, 11:47:42 AM »
The position of head coach in our set up requires a number of abilities

Getting players united as a team - erring on side of a tick for this.
Tactical nous - jury out
Out-witting opposition head coach - Jury out
Building confidence - Jury out
Developing skills - Jury out

there are many other abilities / skills / attributes, my point is despite an un-inspiring record we have not had an opportunity to evaluate AI yet, until we have we must give him the benefit of the doubt and get baehind club, coaching staff, players.

As we all keep saying its our club !!! The rest is transisitory............. so lets back ourselves
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!