Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1758968 times)

bry

• Youth Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #1150 on: June 21, 2014, 07:50:45 PM »
It's been nearly a week since the appointment and when it was announced it is fair to say that it was not a good time to be an Albion fan.  Everyone (Me included) was furious with the AI appointment, the way that the club tried to hide it in amongst the England hysteria.  We are all annoyed that this JP bull about getting someone in with PL experience and learning from the mistakes of last season and then signing Alan Irvine with none whatsoever. 

Since then I for one have kind of simmered a little.  Sitting back reading everyone elses comments, looking at other forums.  Trying to understand how we can move forward as a football club.  I feel a little more inclined now to sit back and see where this all leads, how we start the season, how the signings get on (This is the usual me, I have to say.......wait to see how things go before making judgement) 

I have seen the signing today of Joleon Lescott which I think is an amazing signing, and looking at the other players that we are being linked with it is beginning to make me feel a lot better about things, a little more optimistic if you like.  I made a comment on Saturday night, along with many others and vented my disappointment and said that I will not give JP any of my money this season, whether that be in the form of match tickets of sales in the club shop (I only go to 4 or 5 games a season now anyway and I always prefer aways but Birthday's and Xmas I always shop at the club shop).  I will stick with this. 

What I am trying to say in a nutshell is that I may have a little hasty as lets face it, we all love the Albion.  I just wish that things were handled a lot better. 

I hope that Alan Irvine is a success here and would like to wish him good luck.
I feel similar to you Runcornbaggie. I was absolutely fuming at first I mean really angry. Since listening to Irvine, the signing of Lescott and the players we are linked with, I have cooled somewhat. To get Lescott is amazing when you think of all the clubs who he could of gone to. I can't see how this cannot be seen as a very good sign. I know I know just as you get excited with the Albion that's when you get kicked in the teeth (a bit like being an England supporter). But what I am saying is that I feel differently to a week ago and if the other players we sign are as good as Lescott I will be very glad that I didn't send my season ticket back. That doesn't mean that all is forgiven with the lack of understanding from the board towards us fans. It is a real blind spot of their's. My only current gripe is I wish that Terry Burton would be a little less silly in his statements regarding Irvine even if he thinks they are true. `they sound a little like Joe Kinear when he became Director of football at Newcastle, someone coincidently who I think worked with Burton in the past.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1151 on: June 23, 2014, 10:11:19 PM »
If AI looks up to Don Howe and Ray Harford as coaching role models, that doesn't inspire me at all. Although I wasn't watching Albion when they were in charge, the consensus seems to be that we played a very negative, rigid and defensive style under their coaching. Having a defensive discipline is important, but I want to see Albion teams with flair taking the game to their opponents, rather than teams completely fixated on how the opposition will play. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1152 on: June 23, 2014, 10:19:25 PM »
If AI looks up to Don Howe and Ray Harford as coaching role models, that doesn't inspire me at all. Although I wasn't watching Albion when they were in charge, the consensus seems to be that we played a very negative, rigid and defensive style under their coaching. Having a defensive discipline is important, but I want to see Albion teams with flair taking the game to their opponents, rather than teams completely fixated on how the opposition will play.
We did not have the money or players to excel then. That has a lot to do with it. Howe did not do very well with us and Harford did ok.
He then left if I remember (Harford) as he lived down South as the travelling was too much. And went to Blackburn? !! Or somewhere even further away. Football is a bizarre business at the best of times.The best you can hope for is a good mix throughout the coaching and playing staff. Some clubs work for individuals some don't RH is a prime example Moyes a more recent one?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1153 on: June 23, 2014, 10:32:10 PM »
Harford did go to Blackburn, but that was later - I'm pretty sure he went to QPR from us
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1154 on: June 23, 2014, 10:58:25 PM »
Harford did go to Blackburn, but that was later - I'm pretty sure he went to QPR from us
You are correct 58

"In February 1997, Harford was named as West Bromwich Albion's new manager in place of Alan Buckley. Albion were hovering just above the relegation zone in Division One (which had been a familiar pattern since their promotion in 1993) and Harford did much to keep the club clear of relegation. Despite a promising start to the following season, he found it tiring to travel the 100+ miles from his Berkshire home to the Midlands on an almost daily basis, and in December 1997 moved to Division One rivals Queens Park Rangers.

"After spending four years as Kenny Dalglish's assistant, he was promoted to manager at Blackburn Rovers in June 1995, though he resigned in October 1996 following the sale of star striker Alan Shearer. Taking charge at West Bromwich Albion in February 1997, he switched clubs to Queens Park Rangers ten months later. He was sacked in September 1998, and subsequently became a coach at Millwall; he was still on the coaching staff at the club at the time of his death."

Its off "Wicki" But sounds ok.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1155 on: July 01, 2014, 08:24:06 AM »
ALF where are the five or six new recruits
Peace same question also what about kit and sponsor ?

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1156 on: July 01, 2014, 08:32:34 AM »
An unjustifiable appointment by a board struggling to justify their poor decisions over the last 12/18 months >:(
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1157 on: July 01, 2014, 08:36:28 AM »

They need to do it in the next two weeks or we are going to look every bit as incompetent as Peace assured us we weren't recently....!!!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1158 on: July 01, 2014, 08:38:32 AM »
I aint convinced either but we will see.If this blows up JP is going to get match day protests galore
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1159 on: July 01, 2014, 09:18:03 AM »
Patience is a virtue boys.
Apart from the odd transfer not a lot happening anywhere at the moment.
If anything I'm amazed that we have got two players in at this stage, might be something to with the fact that they were freebies (to a point) so we had to move quickly to avoid them being snaffled up by other clubs.
I think were in negotiations at the moment ( if you believe the press) with clubs over contracted players, obviously this takes a bit longer as we persuade clubs to release players.
Not too worried yet, if we dont have more players on board in the next couple of weeks I might be.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1160 on: July 01, 2014, 09:58:34 AM »

no idea on kit sponsor and kit release.

Since the transfer window only opened today, it would have been hard to bring in players before then unless they were free...like Gardner & Lescott.
 I'm sure in one of his recent interviews Peace has said that we won't rely on free players and loans like we have done previously so we have had to wait until 1st July to begin the transfer business proper.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1161 on: July 01, 2014, 10:40:41 AM »
Let's give him time before we decide what sort of appointment it is and I don't mean a couple of games.
the regime don't like it man

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1162 on: July 01, 2014, 11:08:39 AM »
AI does deserve time, of course he does. I think our first 6 Prem games that take us up to the end of September are pretty fair tests against teams and clubs (I think with the exception of Spurs) who we should be looking to judge ourselves by.

By the end of September I'm hoping the team and the performances will have given us cause to be pleasantly surprised, rather than worried. A good start to the season will buy him a hell of a lot of credit, and I'm hoping he does well for everyone's sake.

Meanwhile there's plenty of bargaining time left to get players in by opening day. Let's hope the Board use it wisely this time. 

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1163 on: July 01, 2014, 11:32:27 AM »
Let's give him time before we decide what sort of appointment it is and I don't mean a couple of games.

Before Oct he needs to have won 3 games min before protesters start on Peace those first 6 games on paper we should and need to be gaining points.For me its all about performances.If its anything like Clarkes football towards the end of his reign then i wont be happy.The reports i have heard so far from Sheff Wed fans his football aint pleasing on the eye
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1164 on: July 01, 2014, 11:34:56 AM »
I think we need to be in double figures (points wise, not negative goal difference) before the end of September.

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1165 on: July 01, 2014, 01:39:26 PM »

Before Oct he needs to have won 3 games min before protesters start on Peace those first 6 games on paper we should and need to be gaining points.For me its all about performances.If its anything like Clarkes football towards the end of his reign then i wont be happy.The reports i have heard so far from Sheff Wed fans his football aint pleasing on the eye

I agree with that from a VFM point of view. You want to feel like you're getting a bit of a show put on as well as your team picking up points.

But if it is a bit of a grind at the beginning but we're picking up points I'll go with that and give him the benefit of the doubt. Points on the board first, then we can pretty it up. But fundamentally I agree with you.

Of course if we sprint out of the traps playing like Pele's Brazil then we'll all be laughing.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1166 on: July 01, 2014, 02:50:21 PM »
I see that Laudrup has walked into the top European club he was talking about.  Isn't Qatar in Europe nowadays?

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1167 on: July 01, 2014, 06:33:37 PM »
I agree with that from a VFM point of view. You want to feel like you're getting a bit of a show put on as well as your team picking up points.

But if it is a bit of a grind at the beginning but we're picking up points I'll go with that and give him the benefit of the doubt. Points on the board first, then we can pretty it up. But fundamentally I agree with you.

Of course if we sprint out of the traps playing like Pele's Brazil then we'll all be laughing.
I'd love that, I really would, but, one of my best mates is a Wednesday fan. Who thought of him as arrogant, tactically woeful and would always play up other teams strengths almost to the point that he was scared of them. This is the likes of Yeovil. I think the 5 games will be a crucial indicator of how he will do and we need 9pts I just think he maybe in way over his head hope I'm wrong :(

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1168 on: July 01, 2014, 07:50:07 PM »

Transfer window only opened today - we have two new additions already.

The kit and sponsors by all accounts all sorted - just a matter of crossing the t's and dotting the i's.

A bit of patience wouldn't go a miss...

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1169 on: July 01, 2014, 08:09:52 PM »
Transfer window only opened today - we have two new additions already.

The kit and sponsors by all accounts all sorted - just a matter of crossing the t's and dotting the i's.

A bit of patience wouldn't go a miss...

You're right of course, Liam - but you can't blame us all for having cabin fever after this last year. People are desperate for some positive messages coming from the club in terms of actions.

Let's face it the last 18 months have been a rollercoaster ride maintained by old Mr Withers from Scooby Doo....
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1170 on: July 01, 2014, 09:05:27 PM »
You're right of course, Liam - but you can't blame us all for having cabin fever after this last year. People are desperate for some positive messages coming from the club in terms of actions.

Let's face it the last 18 months have been a rollercoaster ride maintained by old Mr Withers from Scooby Doo....

The club have made their positive message - they beat off a host of clubs to sign Joleon Lescott - a top quality, proven centre half in this division. They have also supported that by the steady addition of Craig Gardner.

We're a long way from panic stations as things stand.

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1171 on: July 01, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »
The club have made their positive message - they beat off a host of clubs to sign Joleon Lescott - a top quality, proven centre half in this division. They have also supported that by the steady addition of Craig Gardner.

We're a long way from panic stations as things stand.

i admire you half glass full mentality. personally i think we are stuffed this season.

alan irvine shouldn't be anywhere near this club. he shouldn't be near a top half chumps league team either.

JP has gone for the cheap, yes man option, again.

We've got a threadbare squad and a dire record in the transfer market since Ashworth left. Lescott and Gardner only joined because they are local boys. no decent, proven prem player would touch us with a barge pole. Even though we've been here 5 years.

Deep down, everyone knows it. We're forked.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:38:24 AM by B_H_Baggie »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1172 on: July 01, 2014, 11:10:11 PM »
i admire you half glass full mentality. personally i think we are stuffed this season.

alan irvine shouldn't be anywhere near this club. he shouldn't be near a top half chumps league team either.

JP has gone for the cheap, yes man option, again.

We've got a threadbare squad and a dire record in the transfer market since Ashworth left. Lescott and Gardner only joined because they are local boys. no decent, proven prem player would touch us with a barge pole. Even though we've been here 5 years.

Deep down, everyone knows it. We're forked.

My glass isn't half full - I think we're in for a struggle.

I agree about Alan Irvine too.

I just don't think in terms of player recruitment we've reached panicked stations yet.

I'll start panicking when we go into August and we still barely have a squad.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:38:44 AM by B_H_Baggie »

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1173 on: July 02, 2014, 12:14:23 AM »
My glass isn't half full - I think we're in for a struggle.

I agree about Alan Irvine too.

I just don't think in terms of player recruitment we've reached panicked stations yet.

I'll start panicking when we go into August and we still barely have a squad.

The deeper point regarding both the squad and the selection of coach is the complete lack of long term thinking. We seem content with kicking the can down the road for as long as it works.

Under Ashworth we at least seemed interest in trying to build something and go for the hidden gems in the transfer market. Now our transfer business is simply signing whomever happens to be left after the other clubs have taken their picks or, in desperation, throw some silly amount of money at a player/club to get a warm body in.

It's easy to overpay for declining old free agents or rejects from other clubs.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1174 on: July 03, 2014, 05:10:36 PM »
i'm sorry if this as already been posted but i wa still laughing an hour after i watched it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00JhUADQCCY
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.