Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1759049 times)

mrmojorisin

• Junior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #950 on: June 17, 2014, 11:24:59 AM »
I am still bemused by the appointment of Irvine (and still think it is diabolical) but in many ways what bemuses more is how Jeremy Peace engineered such a total PR disaster.  First of all he gives his big mea culpa speech and talks up that he is looking at appointing a high quality head coach with Premiership experience.  We then have a long drawn out wait and finally get Irvine.  No wonder we are angry.  It's bit like you had queued up at Tesco for five hours expecting to buy fillet steak and then were offered a couple of dried up chipolatas.  Peace must realise that you cannot build up people's expectations and then deliver dross.

Clearly Peace hasn't learned the lesson that no-one of any worth now wants to be head coach here.  Look at the Clarke appointment.  Another long drawn out process.  Then Clarke gets sacked by Liverpool and out of the blue we have the head coach Peace always wanted (ha bloody ha).  They couldn't get anyone else.  Then again, the Pepe Mel appointment.  Clearly he wasn't happy with the terms and conditions originally offered to him - they couldn't find anyone else so that had to modify the their offer to him just enough to bring him in - and then give him the boot when it was clear that he wouldn't be happy with the type of squad they would allow him to build.

And now Irvine has been appointed Peace drops below the parapet again and Burton is left to come out with weak platitudes which do not address the real issues.  I think Peace must have taken lessons from Tony "I am not responsible for the total mess and carnage in Iraq" Blair.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #951 on: June 17, 2014, 11:27:33 AM »
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #952 on: June 17, 2014, 11:28:41 AM »
Terry also said Arsene Wengers appointment was slammed by Arsenals fans  ;D

bagstaff

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #953 on: June 17, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
Don't know if this has been posted yet, if it has sorry for duplicating.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2014/06/17/west-broms-terry-burton-alan-irvine-could-be-our-brendan-rodgers/

Wow.

So i criteria for who should lead our team is a very good coach who has some experience in management - so it doesn't really matter if you can't read the game, be tactically naive, have little understanding of the league you are working in, have little to no experience of when and how to make substitions, not being able to analyse the opposition and pick the correct starting 11  - as long as you are a very good coach.  That isn't having a go at Irvine he may have some of those qualities - I'm having a go at the criteria - I think there is more to winning games in the premiership than just being able to be a very good coach. 
"I think quotes are very dangerous things" - Kate Bush
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Ruudi Beglin bagstaff IV

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #954 on: June 17, 2014, 11:39:57 AM »
Does anyone know if Irvine actually took charge of the Everton U21 team? Or was he just responsible for coaching and someone else picked the team?

Just wondered as I recall our kids beating Everton 5-0 last season. :o ;D
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #955 on: June 17, 2014, 12:34:11 PM »

If as Terry Burtons says  “Irvine is a top top coach” why didn’t Everton promote him from the kids team instead of appointing Roberto Martínez as their head coach. Please don’t insult my intelligence or football knowledge. Terry Burton is beginning to sound like that other old school dinosaur Joe Kinnear when he became director of football at Newcastle. Look at what a success that was and how arogant he was that his knowledge was so superior to any fan. Infact I think they may have worked together

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #956 on: June 17, 2014, 12:47:08 PM »
If as Terry Burtons says  “Irvine is a top top coach” why didn’t Everton promote him from the kids team instead of appointing Roberto Martínez as their head coach. Please don’t insult my intelligence or football knowledge. Terry Burton is beginning to sound like that other old school dinosaur Joe Kinnear when he became director of football at Newcastle. Look at what a success that was and how arogant he was that his knowledge was so superior to any fan. Infact I think they may have worked together

Could be any number of reasons he wasn't promoted. The first one being maybe Martinez is better than Irvine? Would you pick Clarke over Mourinho? I'm not sure what you're trying to prove by saying they picked someone over someone else, there's a lot of people better than others, what difference does it make?

Maybe Everton were looking for a manager not a head coach? It's not rocket science, nor is it proof that he's terrible because he wasn't made manager of Everton - that proves nothing. If he was dreadful Everton would have sacked him from his youth role. Then saying Burton would be a disaster like Kinnear 'because he sounds like him'? Nice justification.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:51:04 PM by PsalmXXIII »

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #957 on: June 17, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »
The more I hear the more it sounds like Downing has been given the job with Irvine being the scapegoat.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #958 on: June 17, 2014, 12:59:30 PM »
Could be any number of reasons he wasn't promoted. The first one being maybe Martinez is better than Irvine? Would you pick Clarke over Mourinho? I'm not sure what you're trying to prove by saying they picked someone over someone else, there's a lot of people better than others, what difference does it make?

Maybe Everton were looking for a manager not a head coach? It's not rocket science, nor is it proof that he's terrible because he wasn't made manager of Everton - that proves nothing. If he was dreadful Everton would have sacked him from his youth role. Then saying Burton would be a disaster like Kinnear 'because he sounds like him'? Nice justification.
No the proof of that is the blokes track record FFS !!! wake up and smell the coffee, this bloke should never in a million years been considered for any role involving a premier league team !!!
He's a lad from the Wrenna

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #959 on: June 17, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »
We have fans who think they should say or try to do something about the situation we are in and others who say we should accept the situation as anything that is not for the club is against it. I despair. I feel there is absolutely nothing I can do for the club I love. If as suggested by some I should go to the games, sing and applaud the team from start to finish will make no difference. We will be relegated next season everything that is happening and is in place screams that fact despite all the contributors who keep saying we just have to wait and see.
I have paid for my season ticket and that fact will have no positive affect on the potential of keeping the club in the premiership, gives no say to if I want blue and white stripes on our shirts, if the club should support and respect Jeff Astles family and their campaign. I am sick of being angry I am sick of arguing I am sick of caring about the Albion, and that is the saddest conclusion of it all. I don’t know what to do because there is nothing I can do but to sit and watch the slow motion car crash of next season. Well to all you optimists (of whom there aren’t many) lets all sit back together and watch the next instalment. Of the 10 super star players the club will bring in well before deadline day who will make all this angst and concern seem like a distant nightmare.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #960 on: June 17, 2014, 01:02:05 PM »
The more I hear the more it sounds like Downing has been given the job with Irvine being the scapegoat.

Yes Keith will be pulling the strings alright
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

freddy73

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #961 on: June 17, 2014, 01:14:29 PM »
Well if by some miracle this joke appointment actually works out, the end of season theme is already sorted surely?
Father Ted - Feck backside (which at the moment sums up my feelings towards the club)

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #962 on: June 17, 2014, 01:15:28 PM »
No the proof of that is the blokes track record FFS !!! wake up and smell the coffee, this bloke should never in a million years been considered for any role involving a premier league team !!!

Congratulations on proving my bloody point - I said that not being made Everton manager is not proof of anything, I didn't for a minute say that there was NO proof, I'm stating that using 'Everton hired Martinez as their manager instead of their Youth Coach' isn't enough to rake the poor sod over the coals. But feel free to lambast me further, than agree with what I've said.

I fail to see where I've said I agree with this appointment and I refuse to be treated like some sort of delusionial for suggesting you WAIT AND SEE HOW HE DOES before you treat him like he's just lost 15 games in a row. You're all about facts, here's one for you - he's not failed at West Bromwich Albion. Here's another fact, he hasn't coached a single game at West Bromwich Albion. Here's another one, we have 38 games to play before we could possibly be in a different division. Here's another one, his track record isn't encouraging, but he's not coached a game yet and unless you can see into the future, or have invented forward time travel, I fail to see how you KNOW this will end in failure. I feel it will, but I'm not certain so I don't stamp my feet and paint bed sheets. There's a huge difference between feeling something will happen and it happening.

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #963 on: June 17, 2014, 01:18:12 PM »
Congratulations on proving my bloody point - I said that not being made Everton manager is not proof of anything, I didn't for a minute say that there was NO proof, I'm stating that using 'Everton hired Martinez as their manager instead of their Youth Coach' isn't enough to rake the poor sod over the coals. But feel free to lambast me further, than agree with what I've said.

I fail to see where I've said I agree with this appointment and I refuse to be treated like some sort of delusionial for suggesting you WAIT AND SEE HOW HE DOES before you treat him like he's just lost 15 games in a row. You're all about facts, here's one for you - he's not failed at West Bromwich Albion. Here's another fact, he hasn't coached a single game at West Bromwich Albion. Here's another one, we have 38 games to play before we could possibly be in a different division. Here's another one, his track record isn't encouraging, but he's not coached a game yet and unless you can see into the future, or have invented forward time travel, I fail to see how you KNOW this will end in failure. I feel it will, but I'm not certain so I don't stamp my feet and paint bed sheets. There's a huge difference between feeling something will happen and it happening.

By your reckoning we could appoint Coco the bloody Clown as Head Coach and he wouldn't be a failure because "we haven't given him a chance to fail yet".

Come on.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #964 on: June 17, 2014, 01:22:50 PM »
The comments from TB sound very defensive and almost confrontational.

This makes me wonder if JP has said something along the lines of,
I've been criticised because I'm an accountant, ok thats true, I'm going to learn from my mistakes, TB you are a "football man" here are the numbers go and find the best man you can within these parameters and get him in asap.
TB has "found" AI and is now immediately under the cosh from both directions, public and JP. This would explain why JP is not attending the un-veiling of AI, "well TB you found him, you take the can for him, you deal with it".

I don't blame AI taking a job which is fantastic given his credentials and I accept that JP has full responsibility but maybe, just maybe, we are all looking in the wrong direction.

What do we know about TB's ability to recruit the right coach???
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

ComebackStrodds

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #965 on: June 17, 2014, 01:23:29 PM »
I would rather take back Alan Buckley and a load of Grimsby rejects than have Irvine.
That is what we're going to be heading back to mid table championship mediocrity.
Sideways and backwards here we come!

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #966 on: June 17, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »
By your reckoning we could appoint Coco the bloody Clown as Head Coach and he wouldn't be a failure because "we haven't given him a chance to fail yet".

Come on.

Whatever, aim things at me personally, I couldn't give a damn, I'm just saying you can be opposed to the appointment without going insane. You sit there drunk off all summer, seething, demanding your money back, hating the club and its custodians, taking rubbish off every Dingle and Seal you know, spending your wages on bed sheets and paint, already planning your away trips in the Championship, and I'll join you in December if and when things go to pot.

Enjoy your summer.

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #967 on: June 17, 2014, 01:26:10 PM »

By your logic then some team outside of Man C, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal could win the league next season. ITS a fact without a ball being kicked Everton or Totenham can win the league. But they wont and we wont stay up. I wait with great anticipation for your next He hasn't been in charge for a single game speech when we know the signings we have made before kick off of the fist game of the season. I'm sure again I will be just as inspired to give the club and its decisions my disdain as I am now.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:29:05 PM by bry »

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #968 on: June 17, 2014, 01:30:59 PM »

Why dont you just sit and fiddle while Rome burns, the rest of us will try ( probably without success ) to avert such a disaster. I take no pride in coming on here in 6 to 12 months time when this bloke has failed ( again ) and saying I told you so.
I would love nothing more than to eat my words but I know which scenario my money will be on..........and its not your "roses round the door" option I can tell you.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #969 on: June 17, 2014, 01:32:30 PM »
Well if by some miracle this joke appointment actually works out, the end of season theme is already sorted surely?
Father Ted - Feck backside (which at the moment sums up my feelings towards the club)

If it does work and we stay up i will ride on horseback around the streets of west bromwich like Lady Gadiva did around Coventry
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #970 on: June 17, 2014, 01:34:35 PM »
Whatever, aim things at me personally, I couldn't give a damn, I'm just saying you can be opposed to the appointment without going insane. You sit there drunk off all summer, seething, demanding your money back, hating the club and its custodians, taking rubbish off every Dingle and Seal you know, spending your wages on bed sheets and paint, already planning your away trips in the Championship, and I'll join you in December if and when things go to pot.

Enjoy your summer.

Finally I get your point. Buts that's the sad part when one finally concedes that there is nothing I can F***ING do to help the club I love.

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #971 on: June 17, 2014, 01:40:07 PM »

Has Terry Burton realised he meant to compare Alan Irvine to Buck Rogers, rather than Brendan Rodgers yet??

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #972 on: June 17, 2014, 01:59:40 PM »
There you go our new probable  first signing under Irvine - Sean St Ledger

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #973 on: June 17, 2014, 02:04:37 PM »
Getting set for the Championship ( and below ) already, we're off to an early start

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #974 on: June 17, 2014, 02:09:39 PM »

Finally I get your point. Buts that's the sad part when one finally concedes that there is nothing I can F***ING do to help the club I love.

I'm prepared to take any personal comments directed at me that people who aggressively disagree with my views deem worthy of expressing, but I've said numerous times that I don't agree with the appointment and I don't think we will come out of this well. But to save myself months of anguish over it I will save my despair for when it becomes true. It'll need a miracle but until then I'm not going to work myself into a frenzy where I fall out of love with the club on the possibility the worst happens, then remain in the wilderness if the worst doesn't happen.

By all means i would love everyone to be proved wrong, not because I like Peace, or approve of the appointment, or because I like Irvine, or because I want to say 'I told you so' but because in being proved wrong the club I love will have done well. I respect those willing to act on their anger and will not say you're wrong. But for my own sanity I will not join you until it is certain that this was the wrong choice. Point to facts in the past all you like, but football isn't played on paper. If past records were gospel we wouldn't have beaten Manchester United last season.