Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1758922 times)

mifos

• Junior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #800 on: June 16, 2014, 07:30:59 PM »
Just been on a few other clubs message boards.We surely are giving them something to laugh at

And with some justification. They can take the mick all they like, there is absolutely nothing they can say that will make me feel any worse about this appointment.

I wish him all the luck in the world and would like nothing more than being proved completely wrong, but if that happens it just means Peace (and Albion) will have got very lucky ... there's simply no logic or sense in the decision to justify it, it's a reckless appointment.

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #801 on: June 16, 2014, 07:37:19 PM »
Franksie tonight on WM (for so called balance) kept saying to all the criticism of the appointment of Ivirne "well what if Albion win their first 3 games what will you think of the coach then"? Well we wont win the first 3 games. We will be  lucky if we win 3 games all season. I can see it now first game at home we go 1-0 down. The chants of peace out begin. At 3-0 down there is a mass walk out like at the end of the season game. Then repeat the same scenario at the next game until after 6 home games he is sacked. God only knows what then. Nothing will change while we have the owner we have. Again Franksie made my blood boil saying "be careful what you wish for". Well I wish for a place in the premier league with some modest ambition not 8th every season just some pride in our club for the way we try and play. Like Swansea Stoke Hull Crystal Palace Southampton to name a few . Are they all bigger clubs than us? Why can t we have their ambition we have very similar Turnover and wages (and if you don't believe that look at this http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/01/premier-league-accounts-club-by-club-david-conn) And if you do look for one of the highest paid directors in the premier league. See if it marries up with the lowest PAID MANAGER IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE YES YOU GUESSED IT IRVINE. I hope sometime soon I can stop feeling so angry and have some hope for the club I love.

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #802 on: June 16, 2014, 07:39:16 PM »
Maybe we should get Scott Parker in to do the team talks
Or we could play a Phil Neville commentary over the speakers in the away changing room, same difference really.
I've stuck up for JP more than once on here, but having had 48 hours to digest the news I've gone from seething to alcoholic.
This is the equivalent of giving up on life.
Walking down the shops in slippers and jim jams to buy a single fag from the bloke who owns the chippie, and fetching the shopping in an old pram.
Cheap as chips ....how much for a fag?

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #803 on: June 16, 2014, 07:39:54 PM »
Cant see that happening mate. Cheap option coach meaning cheap option players. Only got the job because Sherwood turned it down.

I we now know the real reason that Sherwood turned it down is that he wanted his own coaches in and to dispense with Pinky and Perky. We are the only club that when the head coach/manager is replaced we still keep on the rest of the coaching staff that were responsible of failing with that head coach.

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #804 on: June 16, 2014, 07:45:06 PM »
Can't argue with that. If Burton can pull a few rabbits from the hat let's see where we go after that.

I really think the vilification of Irvine should stop. The bloke was offered a good opportunity and took it, who wouldn't have done the same. Labelling him Alan Irvine before a ball has been kicked is just unfair on him.
I don't feel sorry for Irvine at all. Even if he was sacked after 6 games he will walk away with well over £250000 and probably over twice that much. I would take flack for a few months for those bucks especially if it wasn't the club I love.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #805 on: June 16, 2014, 07:48:33 PM »
I don't feel sorry for Irvine at all. Even if he was sacked after 6 games he will walk away with well over £250000 and probably over twice that much. I would take flack for a few months for those bucks especially if it wasn't the club I love.

Neither do i.he wont know whats hit him if we start poorly, he could have said no.Burton should shoulder some of the blame if it doesnt work out
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #806 on: June 16, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »
Pass on that one.
Where have I said or intimated that?

::) I'm not going to connect the dots for you.

A calculated gamble, if WBA go down, I'll guarantee you JP's salary won't, and if he or one of his little bum chums wanna come on here and tell me different then fine.

Yes, but from what I know about his personal fortune, which is admittedly not definitive, his WBA shares must make up a very large part of it. A Premier League club is much more valuable than a Championship club. Relegation would inflict a paper loss on those shares far greater than his annual salary or any savings gained by hiring Irvine.

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #807 on: June 16, 2014, 07:57:08 PM »
Yes, but from what I know about his personal fortune, which is admittedly not definitive, his WBA shares must make up a very large part of it. A Premier League club is much more valuable than a Championship club. Relegation would inflict a paper loss on those shares far greater than his annual salary or any savings gained by hiring Irvine.
If you were a multi millionaire and owned any club but ours would you care if the club went down. People do sometimes reach a point with their wealth where they are satisfied and become complacent over if they have £50 £60 or whatever and if we went down the owner will still have more a lot of money.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 08:19:51 PM by Quakes Fan »

WestBromJim

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #808 on: June 16, 2014, 08:00:27 PM »

Well, I would imagine WBA the championship club, is a far easier sell than WBA the Premier League club, considering the liabilities of being in each respective divbision. if we believe what we are told the Albion is worth around £125m, lets say we go down and half of that figure becomes to 'true value of WBA' 75% of that ain't a bad return for somebody that has risked absolutely zero of his own cash

Apologies for the spelling
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 08:20:04 PM by Quakes Fan »
No matter where I roam, I will come back to the Brummie road, Cause no bonds, can ever tempt me from thee. The Jam (nearly)

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #809 on: June 16, 2014, 08:07:50 PM »
If you were a multi millionaire and owned any club but ours would you care if the club went down. People do sometimes reach a point with their wealth where they are satisfied and become complacent over if they have £50 £60 or whatever and if we went down the owner will still have more a lot of money.

Point taken, but that doesn't mean I would try to make it happen.

Well, I would imagine WBA the championship club, is a far easier sell than WBA the Premier League club, considering the liabilities of being in each respective divbision. if we believe what we are told the Albion is worth around £125m, lets say we go down and half of that figure becomes to 'true value of WBA' 75% of that ain't a bad return for somebody that has risked absolutely zero of his own cash

If he's that desperate to sell, why wouldn't he offer it right now for half-price and just skip the relegation part?

Apologies for the spelling

No problem. I know everyone is very angry; thank you for having a civil discussion with me about the matter.  :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 08:09:52 PM by Quakes Fan »

WestBromJim

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #810 on: June 16, 2014, 08:09:49 PM »
Point taken, but that doesn't mean I would try to make it happen.

If he's that desperate to sell, why wouldn't he offer it right now for half-price and just skip the relegation part?

I thought that is/was exactly what he is doing.

I know I go wonky from time to time, no offence meant to anybody, and apologies if I have.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 08:14:09 PM by WestBromJim »
No matter where I roam, I will come back to the Brummie road, Cause no bonds, can ever tempt me from thee. The Jam (nearly)

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #811 on: June 16, 2014, 08:12:38 PM »
I thought that is/was exactly what he is doing.

I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean you think he wants to sell or thinks he can sell the club for exactly the same price, regardless of division?

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #812 on: June 16, 2014, 08:16:53 PM »
Franksie tonight on WM (for so called balance) kept saying to all the criticism of the appointment of Ivirne "well what if Albion win their first 3 games what will you think of the coach then"? Well we wont win the first 3 games. We will be  lucky if we win 3 games all season. I can see it now first game at home we go 1-0 down. The chants of peace out begin. At 3-0 down there is a mass walk out like at the end of the season game. Then repeat the same scenario at the next game until after 6 home games he is sacked. God only knows what then. Nothing will change while we have the owner we have. Again Franksie made my blood boil saying "be careful what you wish for". Well I wish for a place in the premier league with some modest ambition not 8th every season just some pride in our club for the way we try and play. Like Swansea Stoke Hull Crystal Palace Southampton to name a few . Are they all bigger clubs than us? Why can t we have their ambition we have very similar Turnover and wages (and if you don't believe that look at this http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/01/premier-league-accounts-club-by-club-david-conn) And if you do look for one of the highest paid directors in the premier league. See if it marries up with the lowest PAID MANAGER IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE YES YOU GUESSED IT IRVINE. I hope sometime soon I can stop feeling so angry and have some hope for the club I love.

I absolutely love this post. Why shouldn't we have ambition? Why shouldn't we be playing for a finish around or just outside the top ten spot? Seriously, apart from the big four (that pretty much now is the big six!) we should have every expectation to be there or thereabouts.

Stating the obvious but we need an owner with AMBITION and hunger. Sensible practice I admire, but there is no room for complacency in football.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

baggiedave

• Newcomer

« Reply #813 on: June 16, 2014, 08:18:55 PM »
Had we been a league 1 side, the appointment of Alan Irvine i feel would have been a good one. However we are premiership. Why would you take the club backwards. To dismantle a team inside 2 seasons, after 24 years of hard graft, and planning to produce a quality premiership side, to which we were 2 seasons ago, is absolutley appauling. How can a team just promoted as champions from league 1, Wolves, have better coach than us who are in the premiership, is just beyond me. I would have preffered Kenny Jacket, than Alan Irvine. Jeremy should stand back and take a good hard look at this latest debarcle. Out of all the available guys with premier exxperience, why would you go for Irvine?. How can we now possibly attract at least 9 quality players, that we so desperately need to survive next season?.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #814 on: June 16, 2014, 08:19:47 PM »
Had we been a league 1 side, the appointment of Alan Irvine i feel would have been a good one. However we are premiership. Why would you take the club backwards. To dismantle a team inside 2 seasons, after 24 years of hard graft, and planning to produce a quality premiership side, to which we were 2 seasons ago, is absolutley appauling. How can a team just promoted as champions from league 1, Wolves, have better coach than us who are in the premiership, is just beyond me. I would have preffered Kenny Jacket, than Alan Irvine. Jeremy should stand back and take a good hard look at this latest debarcle. Out of all the available guys with premier exxperience, why would you go for Irvine?. How can we now possibly attract at least 9 quality players, that we so desperately need to survive next season?.

Dave hes failed in league one

WestBromJim

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #815 on: June 16, 2014, 08:20:38 PM »
I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean you think he wants to sell or thinks he can sell the club for exactly the same price, regardless of division?

Presently, £125m is a number on a balance sheet, I don't think that anybody, would have the means to buy us at that price.

We have assets, and liabilities, JP has pretty much maximised our assets, in bricks and mortar, properties, such as the training facilities etc, and now he is minimising our liabilities, such as playing staff. It is my view, that the hay is being made whilst the sun shines, and, because £125m is just a figure, it is my view that yes, absolutely, he would take £60mill tomorrow.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #816 on: June 16, 2014, 08:24:28 PM »
Presently, £125m is a number on a balance sheet, I don't think that anybody, would have the means to buy us at that price.

We have assets, and liabilities, JP has pretty much maximised our assets, in bricks and mortar, properties, such as the training facilities etc, and now he is minimising our liabilities, such as playing staff. It is my view, that the hay is being made whilst the sun shines, and, because £125m is just a figure, it is my view that yes, absolutely, he would take £60mill tomorrow.

Wow - get 20,000 of us together to stump up three grand then  ;)
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #817 on: June 16, 2014, 08:26:05 PM »

Maybe that's the direction we need to go in as a club and as a fan base.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #818 on: June 16, 2014, 08:26:28 PM »
 i thought 40 million was the price bandied about when he supposedly put us up for sale a couple of years ago
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #819 on: June 16, 2014, 08:28:05 PM »
If we all save our season ticket money for the next 5 years we should be able to see him off

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #820 on: June 16, 2014, 08:28:29 PM »

Good luck with that ;-)
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #821 on: June 16, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »
i thought 40 million was the price bandied about when he supposedly put us up for sale a couple of years ago

Even better that's just 2k each. Not sure if I'm being serious here.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #822 on: June 16, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »

If no-one would buy the club for £125m, then it isn't worth £125m. Like anything else, the club is worth exactly what the market will pay for it. That said, I still don't see how being in the Championship would cause the club to be more attractive to a buyer or induce him to pay more for it.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #823 on: June 16, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »
I we now know the real reason that Sherwood turned it down is that he wanted his own coaches in and to dispense with Pinky and Perky. We are the only club that when the head coach/manager is replaced we still keep on the rest of the coaching staff that were responsible of failing with that head coach.
Absolutely correct. We would have to (and have) go a huge way down the list of people interested in the job before finding someone who didn't want to bring in his own team that he knows and trusts. To insist on keeping the gruesome twosome isn't loyalty, it is stupidity because it is an unreasonable demand for any top coach/manager. Only the desperate would even consider it, so what we end up with is the pick of the desperates, though I don't even think we chose right from them.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #824 on: June 16, 2014, 08:36:15 PM »
What you COULD do, were you of a devious nature, you could run the club down so much over six months that you suddenly end up with some very cheap shares you could buy. Then once you'd got what you needed to go to plan B, you could just do enough to make sure the club retains its Prem status. Then sell.