Author Topic: Gareth Barry retires  (Read 188315 times)

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

Re: Gareth Barry
« Reply #475 on: September 20, 2018, 08:26:30 AM »
Don't really care about Taxi driver anymore.....we have moved on thanks to Darren Moore. 

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #476 on: September 20, 2018, 09:19:17 AM »
Don't really care about Taxi driver anymore.....we have moved on thanks to Darren Moore.
And his personal tragedy really puts things in perspective, let the past be the past, if he can put in 60-70mins 2/3 games at the standard he is still capable of, he will be doing the job he is being paid for.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #477 on: September 20, 2018, 09:32:00 AM »
I think we all know why he came in for additional criticism in relation to the incident, which is pretty sad really, but for him to be booed whilst Livermore suffered no backlash and a lot of fans were actually eager for us to re-sign Myhill, who was not only involved in that incident, but has effectively stolen a living from us for a number of years now, is pretty shambolic really.

Hopefully Darren has seen what the majority of fans have seen in so far as Barry is far better in midfield than the left winger we seem so eager to shoehorn in there and Barry can now start the majority of games for us during the season which will only enhance us as a side. If Darren brings Brunt back in then he is truly a buffoon.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #478 on: September 20, 2018, 12:48:03 PM »
Find it amazing this 'non involvement' is only coming out now. How strange in a world of social media that people ITK could keep shtum for so long and let Barry take the stick for something he allegedly didn't do. Even stranger that he didn't defend himself, unless of course there's a much bigger and untouchable fish higher up the food chain.

Still seems rather odd that a seasoned professional would take the fall for someone else, unless of course there were far more to things than meets the eye. If so then it appears equally strange that Foster came out on social media (not long before/after his move) to insinuate the whole mess was no big thing and had been blown out off all proportion.

Something happened or it didn't, meaning 'someone' was involved or they weren't. I won't hold my breath waiting to find out.

I was told the story a few weeks after the incident well after the dust had settled. He'd been in the taxi at some point but not at the time it was allegedly 'stolen'. Had things been as bad as the press made out then no doubt Spanish police would have pressed charges and those involved sacked.

All of that aside I thought he looked very assured the other night and bought a calmness to the middle of the park. Needs a run in the side now.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #479 on: October 29, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »
Could Barry play the 'Bartley' position?

Comfortable on the ball, ability to play out from the back, has the experience of playing at the back before, naturally left footed.

I expect to see a 3 of Hegazi Dawson and Tosin against Hull, but could Barry slot in that role?

Could do a lot worse in my opinion.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #480 on: October 29, 2018, 09:30:53 AM »

Comfortable on the ball, ability to play out from the back, has the experience of playing at the back before, naturally left footed.

I expect to see a 3 of Hegazi Dawson and Tosin against Hull, but could Barry slot in that role?

Barry could play that position but If we are to play Barry at the back I'd prefer him to be the central one.

Sam Field played well as the left sided defender in the Carabao cup albeit against League 1 and 2 opposition.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #481 on: October 29, 2018, 09:55:20 AM »

If I were a betting man, I would suggest that, should Hegazi be fit, Tosin will be the one dropped. The view from the dug-out seems to be a lot different to that from the stands, or the TV for that matter.
Hope you're right though, and, even if we keep 352, we need to see some obvious changes, such as Bartley out, no Brunt at CM, no Mears at RWB and most importantly, a fresh, more youthful, approach to subs. This, in my opinion, would be enough to get us back to winning ways.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #482 on: October 29, 2018, 10:17:13 AM »
If I were a betting man, I would suggest that, should Hegazi be fit, Tosin will be the one dropped. The view from the dug-out seems to be a lot different to that from the stands, or the TV for that matter.
Hope you're right though, and, even if we keep 352, we need to see some obvious changes, such as Bartley out, no Brunt at CM, no Mears at RWB and most importantly, a fresh, more youthful, approach to subs. This, in my opinion, would be enough to get us back to winning ways.

For me I would feel more comfortbale seeing Barry play the ball out to Mozza, than what I would if Bartley was delivering that pass.
When Phillips isn't fit to play the RWB role, for me this is when plan B needs to be installed and we go to a back 4 and set up differently, still allows us to play out from the back so wouldn't have to change our approach to games, just narrowing the space as Mears doesn't offer anywhere near as much threat as Phillips.

I just think slotting Barry into that back 3 would give us a bit of composure on the ball, even if he is only deployed there against 'lesser' teams.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #483 on: October 29, 2018, 01:36:58 PM »
Although it was a while ago now Barry did start out as a centre half and played in a 3 at villa, still better in the middle for us alongside Livermore at the moment depending on how fit Morrison can be or effective as he tends to have a good game followed by 4/5 poor ones

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #484 on: December 14, 2018, 09:43:22 PM »
Has just had his best game in an Albion shirt. Absolutely bossed that second half, controlled everything.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #485 on: December 14, 2018, 09:47:37 PM »
Nights like tonight you realise just how good a player he was/can be still.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #486 on: December 14, 2018, 09:54:00 PM »
Nights like tonight you realise just how good a player he was/can be still.

First morrison now Barry. The old guard doing us well. Brunt and field pushed further back.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #487 on: December 14, 2018, 10:02:46 PM »
if we can get 10 more games like that out of him we should go up.

maximus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #488 on: December 14, 2018, 10:07:14 PM »
Completely controlled the second half with experience.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #489 on: December 14, 2018, 10:20:36 PM »
First 38 minutes dreadful, rest of the game imperious. Excellent performance.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #490 on: December 14, 2018, 10:59:31 PM »
Great performance to follow up his vile exertions.

That result made up for the brentford draw.

Got to beat the millers now, and they are good at home.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #491 on: December 14, 2018, 11:05:11 PM »
Pure class tonight when he clicked into gear.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #492 on: December 26, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »
Gareth Barry, Uber in every sense and meaning of the word!  ;D :P
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #493 on: December 26, 2018, 05:45:36 PM »
He's a rolls royce in that midfield. Oozes quality.

Looking back I cannot believe we persisted with Chris Brunt for so long

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #494 on: December 26, 2018, 06:05:17 PM »

Still cant understand why its even attempted at any stage.

Barry is a class act, always been underrated throughout his career

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #495 on: December 26, 2018, 06:05:35 PM »

One of many baffling decisions from our management team this season.

Barry was absolutely superb. Full of energy as well which just confirms that he needed a run of games to get into the swing of it. Head and shoulders above anyone else today.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #496 on: December 26, 2018, 06:49:28 PM »
Absolutely bossed it in the midfield, but baffled why Wigan never attempted to close him down or pressure him. My MOTM by some way today.

He/him

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #497 on: December 26, 2018, 06:54:43 PM »
Superb. I didn’t want any of the taxi four to ever play again. Add to that the abuse Phillips took last season and now two of the taxi gate and Phillips are absolutely essential. In the end if a player performs he has all the power in the world. Bit like He-Man.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #498 on: December 26, 2018, 08:48:17 PM »
Barry was immense again today. He's been superb recently and gives us a much more balanced midfield.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #499 on: December 26, 2018, 10:15:08 PM »
I think the first time he's lasted 90 minutes this season, and shows that Darren Moore rates the performance he put in.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure