Author Topic: Serge Gnabry returns to Arsenal  (Read 123450 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Serge Gnabry Joins on loan
« Reply #300 on: January 05, 2016, 07:20:03 AM »
Lukaku didn't do too badly did he?

Argh!!!! Since Lukaku which was two and half seasons ago although you might be forgiven thinking it was only yesterday given the fact that some fans are still pining over him like lovesick teenagers.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #301 on: January 05, 2016, 12:56:39 PM »
I remember when it was Irvine's fault when Varela didn't work out and Clarke's fault when El Ghannasey didn't work out. I'd suggest it's more to do with Gnabry not applying himself correctly than Pulis not liking flair players which has been proven a myth with the inclusion of Sessegnon.

Pulis has only played Sessegnon since he has been doing more work on his defensive positioning - if he hadn't, he still wouldn't be anywhere near the team now.

El Ghannasey wasn't good enough, anybody who watched him could tell you that, while Gnabry is a German under-21 international who simply isn't the finished article yet.

Varela was a different kettle of fish. A Portuguese international, capped before and since, and he was a class above most. When he played, he actually made a difference, as we saw with a great assist for Saido (I forget who we were playing at the time). He was unlucky with injury, but when he was fit Irvine should have used him more.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #302 on: January 05, 2016, 01:09:58 PM »
I still can't work out why Varela wasn't played more, and Pulis who claims to love width shipped him out straight away.... Surely he couldn't tell he didn't work Aaaaaaaad that quickly, or did Varela get onto his agent and say 'I'm a player get me outta here!'

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #303 on: January 05, 2016, 01:12:19 PM »
Varela was hobbled by Irvine and all this red zone rubbish, he should have been on the bench as soon as he was back in training, if he had been established when Pulis arrived could have been a different story.

Also he was in open dispute with his parent club which has now been resolved and he is in a starring role.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #304 on: January 05, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »
Varela was hobbled by Irvine and all this red zone rubbish, he should have been on the bench as soon as he was back in training, if he had been established when Pulis arrived could have been a different story.

Also he was in open dispute with his parent club which has now been resolved and he is in a starring role.

I wouldn't call being on the bench a starring role. For what it's worth, I was gutted when he left.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/silvestre-varela/leistungsdaten/spieler/31316
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #305 on: January 05, 2016, 01:36:39 PM »
I wouldn't call being on the bench a starring role. For what it's worth, I was gutted when he left.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/silvestre-varela/leistungsdaten/spieler/31316

I did no research past a graphic I saw the other day saying he was outstanding, must have been a one off... Sorry lads.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #306 on: January 05, 2016, 01:41:19 PM »
A ITKer on another Albion site said at the time he had never seen such an unfit player arrive at the club especially after the World Cup. Doubt Varela would have stayed anyway and Pulis was desperate to bring Fletcher in on decent wages.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #307 on: January 06, 2016, 12:55:37 AM »
For what it's worth, I was gutted when he left (Varela).

Fair do's.

Personally I was more gutted when Asa Hartford, Len Cantello, Laurie Cunningham, Bryan Robson and Remi Moses et.al departed.

Given the times and circumstances, I was also rather vexed with the departures of Kevin Kilbane and Lee Hughes.

The departure of Enzo Maresca p'd me off too, but I was able to look beyond that in light of the fee and his destination.

Still, all about perspctive and opinions I suppose  :) ;).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #308 on: January 06, 2016, 11:24:59 AM »
seems that talk of Gnabry's departure was premature. This from today's Brummie Mail.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-update-future-serge-10692764

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #309 on: January 06, 2016, 11:35:42 AM »
seems that talk of Gnabry's departure was premature. This from today's Brummie Mail.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-update-future-serge-10692764

Strange one, probably just saying that until we sort out the wages side of things out. Saying that , wouldn't be surprised given those comments to see him start against Brizzle.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #310 on: January 06, 2016, 12:07:35 PM »

Baffling to say the least.
If we have to play a loanee's wages we should get one that the manager has a modicum of willingness to play.
As far as saying he was overweight and injured when he came here, then why on earth did we loan him for in the first place?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #311 on: January 06, 2016, 12:48:38 PM »
Maybe WBA/ Pulis uses some of these journalists to help his strategy with negotiations....? I would anyway ! For example 

TP to Arsenal " we're keeping him and will let him rot in the U21s unless you agree to waive the requirement for us to pay his wages the good for nothing lump".

TP to Press " we love Serge and would love to keep him but can't guarantee him first team football which is what he wants and needs"

Outcome - Arsenal get a bit worried at their player's development and agree to waive the requirement for us to pay his wages...........meaning TP has a bit more in his pot for others

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #312 on: January 06, 2016, 01:11:50 PM »
Baffling to say the least.
If we have to play a loanee's wages we should get one that the manager has a modicum of willingness to play.
As far as saying he was overweight and injured when he came here, then why on earth did we loan him for in the first place?

Absolutely, we've done it many times in the past. I've just read a post above that suggested the same about Varela. Lazy signings to appease fans and fill the underbelly of the squad.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #313 on: January 06, 2016, 04:38:10 PM »
http://www.teamtalk.com/news/tp-explains-lack-of-gnabry-chances-and-rules-out-debuchy

Interesting, appears he arrived with an injury - "the clubs are talking"

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #314 on: January 08, 2016, 10:28:01 AM »
Sounds like he is staying with us going by Wenger's comment in his presser this morning.  Lets hope he knuckles down because he is a big talent.
"This crack is really moreish."

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #315 on: January 08, 2016, 01:42:15 PM »
Staying by the looks.
This needs another massive turn around if its not to be a complete waste of yet another loan.

http://readwestbrom.com/2016/01/08/albion-midfielder-set-stay-club-summer/?

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #316 on: January 08, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
Staying by the looks.
This needs another massive turn around if its not to be a complete waste of yet another loan.

http://readwestbrom.com/2016/01/08/albion-midfielder-set-stay-club-summer/?

If that's the case I hope he gets a run out tomorrow

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #317 on: January 08, 2016, 03:06:19 PM »
If that's the case I hope he gets a run out tomorrow

Is he fit?
He didn't make the 18 last week?

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #318 on: January 08, 2016, 03:33:07 PM »
So we're going to keep him but loan out CMc .....weird?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #319 on: January 26, 2016, 03:33:24 PM »
His blood sucking parent club have hung him out to dry by the looks of it.
I wonder how this affects Gnabry's head, his loan club don't want him and neither do his parent club by the looks.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/638151/Arsenal-News-Major-injury-blow-Brazilian-ace-offer-rejected-Gnabry-makes-transfer-plea

I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't being paid around £20k a week for doing zilch

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #320 on: January 26, 2016, 03:46:49 PM »
Wasnt in the u21 squad last night
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #321 on: January 26, 2016, 08:02:08 PM »
His blood sucking parent club have hung him out to dry by the looks of it.
I wonder how this affects Gnabry's head, his loan club don't want him and neither do his parent club by the looks.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/638151/Arsenal-News-Major-injury-blow-Brazilian-ace-offer-rejected-Gnabry-makes-transfer-plea

I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't being paid around £20k a week for doing zilch
I see nothing to suggest Arsenal are hanging him out to dry?  To my understanding the loan can only be cut short if WE agree to it, at the moment we aren't, although talks have taken place.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2016, 08:04:17 PM »
I see nothing to suggest Arsenal are hanging him out to dry?  To my understanding the loan can only be cut short if WE agree to it, at the moment we aren't, although talks have taken place.

I would think we're more keen than Arsenal to end it.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2016, 08:07:59 PM »
I would think we're more keen than Arsenal to end it.
From the outside yes I agree it does seem bizarre that we wouldn't want to knock this one on the head, my only guess is we will assess our options at the end of the transfer window and it could be concluded then.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #324 on: January 26, 2016, 08:12:07 PM »
Would have expected Arsenal would want it ended as much as us so they could sort something out for him to go and get games elsewhere as its clear he'll be wasting a year worth of development here. This loan deal currently doesn't suit either club or the player.