Author Topic: Peter Odemwingie  (Read 473167 times)

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Peter Odemwingie
« Reply #825 on: October 16, 2011, 10:53:39 PM »
he needs to feel loved. one of the biggest confidence players i have ever seen. if the fans are on his back he won't perform (see locomotive).

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #826 on: October 16, 2011, 11:05:26 PM »
To be fair he hasn't had a terrible season. He's scored 2 goals and has been injured for parts of this season, and even when he has played it's usually been in small spells like today. Add to the fact last season's formation was centered around him - and also that he probably did over-perform last season in general, and it's not too surprising he hasn't scored too much. But as I say - 2 goals isn't a bad return.

I still like the Tchoyi/Long partnership over anything else and would be happy for Odemwingie to be on the bench vs Villa and the short future. He is still a talented player.

BaggieJames114

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #827 on: October 16, 2011, 11:19:56 PM »
If he gets something like 10 goals this season which i fully believe he will, Thats a good return as Shane Long will ease the burden by getting around the same number

Rich99

« Reply #828 on: October 16, 2011, 11:27:34 PM »
Hopefully he kicks on now.  However, not bad for a guy who's been widely seen to have a more than lackluster start and sometimes played out on the wing:

Player efficiency so far this season (goals and assists per minute for players who have played more than 100 mins)

---------------------------Mins played Goals   Assists Average per min
1 Chris Brunt                    566             1          2        188.7
2 Peter Odemwingie        393           2        0       196.5
3 Shane Long                   715             3         0        238.3
4 James Morrison             482            1          0         482.0
5 Paul Scharner                 534            0         1         534.0
6 Nicky Shorey                  635            0          1        635.0
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:32:36 PM by Rich99 »

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #829 on: October 17, 2011, 05:59:19 AM »
he needs to feel loved. one of the biggest confidence players i have ever seen. if the fans are on his back he won't perform (see locomotive).
;D Agree Pete needs to "feel the love" to perform. A comment was made that when he came on as a sub the noise made him inspired to perform.

I remember last season after a game he said that after he scored a goal he could have run forever....so he is a person who needs love.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #830 on: October 17, 2011, 12:18:49 PM »
If he scores the winner next weekend, I'll nominate him for king, president, pope !! :P :D
He's a lad from the Wrenna

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #831 on: October 17, 2011, 12:36:25 PM »
Great dilemma to have. Two from:
Tchoyi - runs at defenders and terrifies them with power and unpredictability;
Long - fast, direct, strong and good in the air;
Pete - confidence renewed and possibly returning to the pete of old;
Cox - good movement, intelligent passer and poacher.

It's up to Roy to see how they do in training so that he can exploit this wealth of talent.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #832 on: October 17, 2011, 12:51:23 PM »
Same starting line-up for me and bring Pete on if Tchoyi or Long fades second half.
He's a lad from the Wrenna

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #833 on: October 18, 2011, 08:46:42 AM »
Anyone see Pete declaring his ambition to play for a top club on Sky Sports news.He better get a move on he ain't no spring chicken
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #834 on: October 18, 2011, 09:55:04 AM »
Fair play to him if he performs at the level required to earn such a move.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #835 on: October 18, 2011, 10:21:55 AM »
I think if he was 5 years younger he would have moved to a bigger club this summer.

Other side of 30, time is against him in my opinion.

Ogwani

« Reply #836 on: October 18, 2011, 11:39:19 AM »
Where was this Pete thing it could just be his old quotes resurfacing?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #837 on: October 18, 2011, 11:49:11 AM »
Where was this Pete thing it could just be his old quotes resurfacing?

It was on Sky Sports News yesterday.

To be fair though it was more along the lines of if a big club came along then players have to think about it which is what you expect from players.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Ogwani

« Reply #838 on: October 18, 2011, 12:10:22 PM »
It was on Sky Sports News yesterday.

To be fair though it was more along the lines of if a big club came along then players have to think about it which is what you expect from players.

Was it an actual interview?

I don't really mind players thinking that but it's annoying he consistently brings it up...

With Shane flourishing though we're not in too much of a bad position if he does decide to leave now though.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:12:09 PM by Pistol Pete »

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #839 on: October 18, 2011, 12:12:22 PM »
It was an interview with Odemwingie sitting in front of a camera operated by a cameraman whilst speaking to a reporter  :D

Ogwani

« Reply #840 on: October 18, 2011, 12:14:11 PM »
It was an interview with Odemwingie sitting in front of a camera operated by a cameraman whilst speaking to a reporter  :D

Okay I thought it might've just been a story on his past quotes.
I don't see why he feels the need to mention it every day if he earns his move to a top team one will come in for him.
We were singing his name loudly before he even came on Sunday, I doubt he'd get that support elsewhere.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #841 on: October 18, 2011, 05:29:57 PM »
Sadly it is a question the press bring up again and again,its almost like if you score goals at this level you MUST be at a big club.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #842 on: October 19, 2011, 07:26:25 AM »
Nobody came in for him this summer. I doubt anyone will be in for him in January due to age, inflated January prices and our attitude as a selling club. I'd guess we have a reputation regarding selling players and with him being over 30 only a desperate club would come in for him/try to destablise him and why would he go to a desperate club? His chance of hitting the really big time has probably gone. Shame for him but fortunate for us.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #843 on: October 30, 2011, 01:03:09 AM »
What is going on with him? Last season he was superb chasing down every ball looking for every little chance. He has looked uninterested for me in quite a few games this season which is worrying.

He came on against Wolves knowing he had lost his place to Long and worked his socks off which resulted in a goal for him. He starts against Liverpool and does nothing for the 90 minutes knowing that with Long injured he's back to number 1 choice.

It's time he booked his ideas up I thought he was poor last week against Villa and I think the emotion of the victory masked this for Albion fans. Let's see him back on his game and back among the goals please!

Rich99

« Reply #844 on: October 30, 2011, 01:07:20 AM »
He's certainly gone off the boil, but I doubt having the ball hoofed up to a defender 10 meters away from him all game really helps.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:12:45 AM by Rich99 »

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #845 on: October 30, 2011, 01:36:03 AM »
He was working hard again today but it just never happened for him, as is the case with the rest of the team. Are we going to have a thread for every player? For me he's actually looked a lot better in the past couple of weeks and has at least taken on board the fact that he needs to be a team player instead of just trying to beat his goal ratio of last season. He's doing OK. We've had a very good couple of weeks and we're always playing very good sides. Our players are not going to have a blinder every week. Just ask Alex Ferguson about that.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #846 on: October 30, 2011, 01:42:08 AM »
He was working hard again today but it just never happened for him, as is the case with the rest of the team. Are we going to have a thread for every player? For me he's actually looked a lot better in the past couple of weeks and has at least taken on board the fact that he needs to be a team player instead of just trying to beat his goal ratio of last season. He's doing OK. We've had a very good couple of weeks and we're always playing very good sides. Our players are not going to have a blinder every week. Just ask Alex Ferguson about that.

It's about having a reasonable discussion about him I haven't just started this thread for the fun of it. I'm sure alot of people feel the way I do about him so far this season he simply hasn't performed this season for me.

Yes we have had a very good couple of weeks and I praise the players for that but like I said just because we beat Villa doesn't mean Odemwingies performance can't be talked about. He's clearly lacking confidence - did you see his air shot last week?

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #847 on: October 30, 2011, 01:53:31 AM »
That's fair enough. I was putting my opinion across though as it interested me. He had his spells of being very mediocre last season also, in stages. He IS a class player but is also capable of missing good chances at times. Personally, the Odemwingie of the past couple of weeks is the one that i saw in large parts of last season. I'm confident that when "his" type of chances come along, he'll finish them (I do remember the 1-on-1 that he missed, usually a banker for him). I get the impression that after a summer of slight speculation, he feels that he's here to stay for the foreseeable future and he's just got back into the same team spirit that he had last season. We need to get behind him, as when he feels appreciated, he has in the past, played his best stuff. I have no worries about Pete. Just a question of how many opportunities are there for him to try to finish. He's one of the best players we've had for many, many years.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #848 on: October 30, 2011, 01:15:32 AM »
Our "style" of play currently is not at all helping him.

Plus, he scored a cracker against Villa that was a goal and should have stood.

Against the slow and stagnent Arsenal defence he may get one, then we've 4 or 5 games in arow we can get results from...
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Moggas barmy army

« Reply #849 on: October 30, 2011, 02:59:13 AM »
Our "style" of play currently is not at all helping him.

Plus, he scored a cracker against Villa that was a goal and should have stood.

Against the slow and stagnent Arsenal defence he may get one, then we've 4 or 5 games in arow we can get results from...

Its not that though mate hes waltzing around the pitch without giving any effort this season. Admittedly iv only been able to see a few games this season due to the albion not been on t.v much out here but every game iv watched hes had this cant be bothered attitude and looks nowhere near as threatening as he did last season. I want the odemwingie that would make intelligent runs attack the defender and get other players involved not the sulky cant be bothered im better than everyone else on this team so i shouldnt pass odemwingie. Maybe its a case of him getting a bit too big for his boots and needs coming back to earth