Author Topic: 13 Aug 2019 Albion 1 Millwall 2 (Carabao Cup 1)  (Read 34330 times)

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2019, 05:51:11 AM »
Was in bed early as had an early start today but shocked at the score.

I’m not going to read to much into it right now though as this team and the new players are yet to gel fully.

New manager. New signings it takes time for that to come together and a few more games and training sessions will see this team come to life. Of that I’m sure.

Let’s not get in the doldrums already
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2019, 06:51:31 AM »
We look pretty at times but fail to do the basics with any conviction.
We need players with conviction in the box to convert the crosses into goals.
Playing Burke up front isn't the answer.
I hope we're looking for another striker to come in in January and pay what we have to if we have any ambition.
Until then we need to maintain a top six place
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Ticket Info & Requests
« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2019, 08:01:35 AM »
For the record:

Attendance: 10,704
Home:         10,316
Away:          388 

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #178 on: August 14, 2019, 08:02:50 AM »
Anyone know the attendance tonight?

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2019, 08:04:49 AM »
Millwall defended well, good shape, stubborn - some of the comments about them, and we will get a lot of that this season, the division is full of well paid decent professionals which is as it should be, and we need to be patient and get momentum going, if we really have the quality we should be able to win enough games.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #180 on: August 14, 2019, 08:27:29 AM »
What annoys me is the hardest thing to do against a resolute but limited team is to get the opening goal.

Everyone is missing the point in that the Mentality is missing. You have got to be motivated to put teams away like Man City do.  Why oh why do we sit back at 1-0 when they are there for the taking.  This is about ruthlessness andwabting to win well.  Until this changes there will be problems.

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2019, 08:33:06 AM »
Millwall did a job on us and though we were pretty at times last night the 50/50 balls in the centre of the pitch they won. There set plays the delivery was better than ours and there players knew what they were doing whilst our players watched. Like I say pretty but no bite and no real control of the ball or a playmaker till Sawyers came on made his space and spraying the ball. Unfortunately at that point we did not have a CF on the pitch onwards to Luton

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2019, 08:38:21 AM »
I worry about the Luton game

I wrote elsewhere that the Millwall return match would demonstrate who out of Bilic and Harris reacted best to Saturday's draw.

Here comes another challenge to those on this site who blamed the ills and failings of Albion on Graeme Jones.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2019, 09:06:35 AM »
Good grief! Shall we sack Bilic already? Pulis is still available, it seems many of you might be more comfortable with him.

We've had a large turnover of players, a new manager, playing a new system, and they're all getting used to one another. There were lots of passes last night that were just too much or just too short, because they still aren't used to the way each other move. There were players making their debuts after less than a week at the club!

There were two things from last night that need to go; the zonal marking, and Oliver Burke. Aside from that, it's just a matter of time. We need to gel, and as long as we can keep in touch with the pack for 10-12 games, we can grow into the season.

No need to panic after 1 defeat.

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2019, 09:29:18 AM »
Some bloody great managers on here I’m amazed some are not managing Barcelona,PSG and Manchester United.
New manager and nine new players - I’m not sure what you expect but totally unrealistic for everything to click into place after 3 games - we are in one of the most difficult leagues in world football not playing Football manager on the PC.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2019, 09:30:04 AM »
Didn't go last night and have seen none of the highlights, but the two results against Milwall are quite concerning. We need to find our cutting edge and quickly.

It is still very early days though chaps, calm down.

Wollastonbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2019, 09:43:47 AM »
I'm not concerned-for the first match there were a number of players who will become regulars but were not played because they were so new and for the second match there were 2 players playing who will never get near the strongest 1st team-Burke and Brunt. Brunt is too slow in thought and deed now and even his set piece delivery skills seem to have deserted him. I suspect SB gave Burke the full 90 mins to give him a chance but he didn't take it. In the first half he was a passenger and in the second half he saw more of the ball but did nothing productive with it. I was impressed with the new signings and I'm sure they will soon gel.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2019, 09:54:52 AM »
Despite the small crowd the Smethwick was pretty full last night and they decided to only staff one of the two 'bars' down below, master stroke by the powers that be
Lots of 'strangers' around, sussing the Smeth out I guess, but also choosing not to sit in their allocated seats
I'm also getting more than bit inebriated off about the large numbers of numpties choosing to stand in the central isle towards the back of the Smeth. A definite safety hazard as people legitimately there with seats at the back try to move up and down the aisle, stewards studiously ignoring it of course 
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2019, 10:23:13 AM »
Disappointing to go out the cup, i always like a cup run and for some of these players they may not see much competitive game time until the FA cup in January.

Its still early days, and from the two home games we are very much a work in progress, i am sure Slav will be learning as he goes.

We are going to play plenty of teams who play like Millwall, especially at home, they are hard working, organised and who can nick a goal, they dont have the resources we do so they make the best of what they have got and do it very well.

At home we need to have a different approach, over two games we have been very predictable and other than the goals barely created a chance, that would be a concern, if your creating chances to miss then your half way there but as it stands we arent.

We play with wingers which is fine, we work the ball to them, but the problem is they are aiming for one man in the box (Zohore or Austin) we dont flood the box with players, so the ball in from the winger has has to be perfect because they are aiming for one man.

Away from home it works well because your often on the counter and attacking at speed, however from the last two home games and with Millwalls approach, by the time the ball gets to the winger they are all setup and just waiting to clear any crosses that come in.

I would look at playing a second striker and try and blitz teams, we have better attacking players than most teams in this league, lets exploit that. I do think we needed a Gayle type striker in the window, bit different to what we have, Austin is a goalscorer, he has that knack of been there, Zohore i think is going to be a target man and create for others, what we needed was the quick mobile striker, who gets defenders turning, whose movement creates spaces, especially when teams are camped in.

I dont know whether Burke could play that role, i have my doubts, and i dont know anything about Willock to whether he could but i imagine Slav will of picked up on the failings and rectifying them as we speak, its early days, its a lot of new players and i imagine he will know we need to play different at home.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2019, 11:53:50 AM »
Last night,defending from dead ball is terrible,thats what cost us I don't think Slaven was bothered about this cup otherwise why leave Burke on for 90 mins he offers nothing his tactical awareness of the game is so poor,i and 10,000 others would have had him off at halftime even Kanu on the bench would have been better option.
All the new guys looked decent enough,but you can tip tap and have 90% possession and still lose off 2 set pieces,same as the Saturday game they played 10 behind the ball and played for set pieces.

palfsattic

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2019, 12:37:50 PM »
Pointless.

I haven't been to a cup game for many years and I won't until they take them seriously. I guess those days are long gone though.

:(

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2019, 12:50:03 PM »
Good grief! Shall we sack Bilic already? Pulis is still available, it seems many of you might be more comfortable with him.

We've had a large turnover of players, a new manager, playing a new system, and they're all getting used to one another. There were lots of passes last night that were just too much or just too short, because they still aren't used to the way each other move. There were players making their debuts after less than a week at the club!

There were two things from last night that need to go; the zonal marking, and Oliver Burke. Aside from that, it's just a matter of time. We need to gel, and as long as we can keep in touch with the pack for 10-12 games, we can grow into the season.

No need to panic after 1 defeat.

I 100% agree with this post

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2019, 12:50:52 PM »
Thought we played well over all apart from in the final 3rd where it counts. Our defending from set pieces was also poor.

Dara O'Shea looked assured and was winning most of his challenges, looks a good back up option. Thought Furlong looked okay and poor in equal measure, be nice if he could learn to cross  rather than blasting it across the box, something to be worked on. Of the two I'd be playing Ferguson.
Townsend and Ajayi the pick of the defenders last night. Townsend seems to be learning from Gibbs as he attacked well.
Not his biggest fan but I thought Brunt had a decent game certainly in the 1st half, some good balls and kept us ticking over. Harper was anonymous first half. That was the sort of game I would have expected him to take by the scruff of the neck and be up and down in the middle but he wasn't , he was as much of a passenger as Burke. Sawyers did more in his cameo than Harper did in his 90+ mins.

The new players looked good and once they have bedded in we will have some really exciting attacking options from the bench.

Surprised that Zohore or even Robson Kanu weren't on the bench as we needed a proper striker once Austin has gone off.

Disappointing to lose but the signs of a decent side are there once the new players are up to speed.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2019, 01:19:33 PM »
I'm not going to get too concerned yet as we need to be patient and allow the players time to gel.

Having said that, despite our very pretty possession, it is disappointing that we did not trouble the Milwall goalkeeper in either of our two games against them. They are a relatively poor outlet who defend extremely well.

I thought we had an excellent opening half an hour - Austin, Diangana and Kyle Edwards showed good signs of forming a good and capable partnership.

I thought we looked a bit knackered in the second half and the ball kept coming back onto us. Burke as a forward is laughable, he has no presence and next to no ability.

Disappointed to lose but not remotely arsed about the cup competition.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2019, 04:51:54 PM »
Apologies in advance as I haven't read the whole thread but never mind lads (and passing lasses) we're still on for the double. Need to up the zip and tempo when moving forward in open play, switch on when defending set pieces and snap into tackles a bit quicker.

On a positive note I thought both full backs acquitted themselves quite well over the course of the game and O'Shea's play on the ground is quality. He's a good football player. If for whatever reason it doesn't work out for him at centre half I think he could go on to be a decent defensive midfielder.

Onto Luton away.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2019, 11:27:13 AM »
Just watched the goals back on Quest.

Anyone got any idea what Ajayi's goal was disallowed for? I couldn't see anything wrong with it.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2019, 11:30:36 AM »
Just watched the goals back on Quest.

Anyone got any idea what Ajayi's goal was disallowed for? I couldn't see anything wrong with it.
I believe.... Zohore was in an off side position when he passed the ball.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2019, 11:32:36 AM »

That was the Krovinovic goal in the league game. I'm talking about Ajayi's header from Brunt's corner in the cup game.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2019, 11:36:00 AM »

Wrong game that was Saturday, Zohore didn't even play the other night.

As for the Cup game I was told O'Shea held somebody as the ball came across.

Didn't see it though and the goal looked fine from where I was sat in the Halfords.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2019, 11:37:03 AM »
Didn't the ball go out of play from the corner?