Author Topic: 13 Aug 2019 Albion 1 Millwall 2 (Carabao Cup 1)  (Read 34061 times)

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2019, 10:13:36 PM »
I think we've had a pretty decent window overall but the lack of decent striking options is worrying. We've had all summer to sort this out.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2019, 10:14:39 PM »
I’m not going to jump off a cliff just yet I think a front line of Austin, Phillips & Edwards / Pereira has that quality in the final 3rd that we are really missing at the moment. My big worry is the depth behind those 3 though as we know Phillips will miss 30% of the season and we’l do well to keep Austin fit all year as well.

Thought it was a strange decision to not have Ken on the bench tonight Burke isn’t a striker in a million years (not much of a winger either). Move on but we need the new signings to bed in quickly, we really should be looking to pick up 3 points Saturday.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2019, 10:15:25 PM »
Two performances against a stubborn Millwall team - both at home too - and we have looked really, really poor.

It is clear Burke cannot play upfront on his own, especially when playing against a team that sits in deep, when he is required to hold up the ball.

Suddenly, after dominating corners against Forest, we now can't defend one to save our lives. It's not like we're lacking the height in the team either.

Expecting much, much better against Luton on Saturday.

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2019, 10:16:06 PM »
Needs to stop zonal in corners. O Shea doesn’t look very tall for a cb  :-X

Hope Austin wasn’t injured when he went off  :o

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2019, 10:19:04 PM »
I think we've had a pretty decent window overall but the lack of decent striking options is worrying. We've had all summer to sort this out.
I’ve a bad feeling Gayle turning us down will haunt us. Only Charlie can save us.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2019, 10:19:42 PM »
Looks like we will struggle for goals this season not a surprise when you take out 54 goals from last year. Austins not match fit so sensible to bring up to speed gradually but scratching head that either HRK or 8mill bloke wasn't on bench.

wbadazza

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2019, 10:25:11 PM »
Anyone know the attendance tonight?
cut me in half you'll find blue and white stripes

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2019, 10:26:55 PM »
Anyone know the attendance tonight?
Ermmm. Burke didn't turn up.

wbadazza

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2019, 10:28:56 PM »
Ermmm. Burke didn't turn up.
Lol...very good
cut me in half you'll find blue and white stripes

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2019, 10:35:16 PM »
Looks like we will struggle for goals this season not a surprise when you take out 54 goals from last year. Austins not match fit so sensible to bring up to speed gradually but scratching head that either HRK or 8mill bloke wasn't on bench.
we also need to tighten up at the back so we are less reliant on goals scored. we've kept 1 clean sheet in our last 10 competitive matches.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2019, 10:38:19 PM »
I worry about the Luton game

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2019, 10:38:45 PM »
Poor performance, strange subs. I don't think any of those that started with the obvious exceptions of Edwards, Austin and Ajayi did anything to force themselves into the starting XI, was so one paced much like most of last season.

We move on and get the league form right.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2019, 10:54:01 PM »
We're not gelling yet. Plenty of pretty passing and two touch football around the area but creating next to nothing and we have no-one that can cross a ball or shoot effectively from range. It's a little bit concerning but not majorly at this stage it's all going to take a little bit of time before everyone gets used to each other.

Defending from set pieces is as bad as I've ever seen it, that has to be a priority to put right.

Even I've given up on Oliver Burke after tonight. I keep waiting to see something but there's nothing there either up front or out wide.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2019, 10:56:13 PM »
Ranked 13th for shots on target, just in the bottom half of the league. This is despite dominating possession. For those that are interested, or "expected goals" stats are also very poor so far.

Sums up how we have started life under Bilic.
Boing Boing

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2019, 11:01:33 PM »
Ranked 13th for shots on target, just in the bottom half of the league. This is despite dominating possession. For those that are interested, or "expected goals" stats are also very poor so far.

Sums up how we have started life under Bilic.
Sums up why some of us were so desparate to hold onto Gayle.  Still, I hope Austin can improve those stats a bit, but as Billic has said, it also needs the midfielders etc. to chip in with some goals.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2019, 11:03:52 PM »
We're not gelling yet. Plenty of pretty passing and two touch football around the area but creating next to nothing and we have no-one that can cross a ball or shoot effectively from range. It's a little bit concerning but not majorly at this stage it's all going to take a little bit of time before everyone gets used to each other.

Defending from set pieces is as bad as I've ever seen it, that has to be a priority to put right.

Even I've given up on Oliver Burke after tonight. I keep waiting to see something but there's nothing there either up front or out wide.

We have the best crosser of a ball at the club wondering around aimlessly in the centre but even then we have no-one in the middle to aim any crosses at. As for the shooting at times its criminal from professional footballers, even in the warm up its shocking

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2019, 11:04:03 PM »
Not the best game but I am far from downhearted. Diangana was lively, Austin showed moments of real quality and Edwards again impressed.

Millwall defended well and kept a good shape - fair play to them.

The real worry is our defending from set-pieces - all 3 goals conceded this week have been from set-pieces and this needs to be a focus in training. Hegazi is hugely missed.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2019, 11:05:03 PM »
We have the best crosser of a ball at the club wondering around aimlessly in the centre but even then we have no-one in the middle to aim any crosses at. As for the shooting at times its criminal from professional footballers, even in the warm up its shocking

I’d be very surprised to see Brunt anywhere near centre mid this season
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2019, 11:09:23 PM »
I’d be very surprised to see Brunt anywhere near centre mid this season

He should never have been near the centre from the start, one wonder ball last season is not enough from the number of times he's played there. His best asset is his crossing, he's wasted in the middle. He has to be either wide left or back up to Gibbs at left back which is where his best football has come in recent years.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2019, 11:09:55 PM »
Very worrying for me , no midfield enforcer,  pussycat tippy-tappy players recruited . Not what is required for this division. Very disappointed to see Field sent out on loan and Brunt still in there. Slaven why oh why are  Brunt and Burke, on that pitch for 90 minutes? Bond a superb double save, but culpable for both goals. Going to Luton and fearing the worse. Any team "up for it" will beat this lot.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2019, 11:22:52 PM »
We don't half have some pessimists on this board.

We haven't been able to play Slavens preferred strongest team yet for almost a whole game and when Burke is on the pitch it is like playing with 10 men unfortunately.

I think we might need to play two up top at home at times when we've got the opposition on the back foot but think our system will work perfectly fine away from home where there will be more gaps to exploit.

We beat Forest on their own patch who themselves went to Elland Road and got a hard fought point. Not many teams will do that. We've then played two games we completely dominated and took the lead in both only to give those leads away through poor set piece defending.

Remember Zohore missed from 6 yards in one of those games and Diangana missed a tap in today by failing to connect with the  ball.

Have to say some of the mistakes Bond made tonight flapping for the ball Johnstone would of been absolutely crucified for.

Thought Furlong was very good tonight and has am excellent delivery. Think he will end up first choice right back in front of Ferguson by the end of the year or with them at least sharing that    position.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2019, 11:29:25 PM »
Sorry all
Could not care less

We have one aim this season, it is not the carabao tea pot
I’d like to add my two Penneth to what I see being stated on here and think the game time for the newbies was much more important than thevresult....besides there is probably more windows in tact than there was on Saturday?

Zohore, he didn’t cost 8m and whilst he hasn’t burst the net ...yet, we have
looked weaker in both games after he came off.
Against millwall, Bilic had to give the team that beat forest a chance, he also didn’t really have much of a bench ( he must take blame for that) because they said the new guys weren’t fully fit (they as pros must take blame for that)
It’s 1-1 not great but not the end of the world
Goals .... I keep reading that we don’t have fire power
Is there anyone on here that would actually be able to keep Austin/Diangana/Pereira/Phillips/Krovonavic/Edwards/Willock quiet?
That’s without Burke / Zohore and Hrk because people will just deride.....but all three can play football
We have cover everywhere, we have (or will have) a frightening amount of options from the bench, our squad is almost the Man City of the champ 😊
Bartley in a 2 works well and seems calm and confident this year, semi has settled, Ferguson is a great find, sawyers looks like he belongs etc etc...and hegazi to come back
If we are going to fail it will be between the sticks , I am NOT comparing to foster, I am NOT being unfair or making a scapegoat...quite simply our squad and fans deserve better ....please sign Vorm

If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2019, 11:29:34 PM »
Take Austin out of this squad and we have no goals in us at all... Only positive tonight is that captain of the reserves won't be seen much now just a liability
Kyle Edwards, harper, Phillips, all have goals in them, to name but a few.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2019, 11:42:54 PM »
Millwall had us sussed out by half time on Saturday and stuck to the same sort of game plan in the 135 minutes of football against us since. Fair play to them, they are extremely well organised but we should have enough brains and technical ability out there on the pitch to break down sides like that over that length of time. There will be plenty of sides in this division who will stick up a brick wall formation 30 yards from their goal and let us f**k about with it all afternoon and evening. We desperately need to be more incisive and at times much more direct. Furlong looked better at Right Back tonight than Ferguson did Saturday but he had the misfortune to have the clueless Burke up ahead of him every time he looked for an outlet. Burke just does not have a clue in any aspect of the game, he looks totally lost/disinterested or possibly both. I've never known a footballer so totally unaware of how to make runs, find space and look for the ball. Edwards seems more and more like a 45 minute man and that's your lot from him. I don't know whether that's down to fitness or if it's just the case of the opposition sussing him and shutting him out of games. Diangana looked lively for the first half hour before disappearing from the game, likewise Austin. Again, I hope that is just down to fitness. I wouldn't mind seeing us in a 4-4-2 from what I've seen in the first 3 games, that could help us in forcing the issue to be a bit more direct and getting the ball forward and out to the wide men earlier and more decisively. Both Austin and Zohore I think will be seen to better effect with an out and out strike partner alongside them.

On a side note, at least one Baggie had a good night....Abdulai Bell-Baggie scored for Weymouth away at Slough!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2019, 12:28:08 AM »
Being unable to beat a limited but well organised Millwall team at home is not a good look. Yet I wouldn't read too much into it at this stage. We need more penetration but I think that will come as the team gels and the 3 players behind the striker start to move and interchange better.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.