Author Topic: Harvey Barnes (recalled to Leicester)  (Read 163323 times)

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

Re: Harvey Barnes (on loan from Leicester)
« Reply #475 on: January 11, 2019, 06:11:29 PM »
I would say he's the difference between automatic and play-off spots and can't be replaced  :'(
Why not? Plenty of good wingers out there, just have to go and find them!

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #476 on: January 11, 2019, 06:12:57 PM »
Love it. An uplifting post on this form. Love it.
A rarity i'll be honest. A lot of 'end of the world' style posts today (I'm not saying it's good news but i think we should see how we perform in our next few)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #477 on: January 11, 2019, 06:14:00 PM »
Why not? Plenty of good wingers out there, just have to go and find them!

I'm sure we can find them...but we won't be paying for them.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #478 on: January 11, 2019, 06:22:34 PM »
I honestly believe we are in a better position now than at the start of the season, the club ownership and management did not know how the team and Big Dave and staff would perform and would therefor not take any risks.

We are now in the promotion playoffs positions and have the experience of how our opponents play, their strengths and weaknesses, we know what we need and based on the first half of the year also know what players will fit the bill to strengthen our squad.

So we have lost a loan player, an unknown who probably exceeded expectations,  yes we need to replace him, I believe that as a well run club (the Baggies are) we would have planned for losing Barnes and will have already approached clubs to sound out a possible replacement.

Panic not  8)

Excellent post. I'm not going to try and pretend that losing Barnes isn't a big disappointment, but I believe he is replaceable. It would be harder to find a replacement for Philips (our true player of the season) or Gayle (the best striker in the division). Even Rodriguez offers more to the team overall than Barnes in my view and is a more complete all round player.

The team is in a strong position and it is all to play for. Even without Barnes we have one of the best starting XI's in the division and there is still close to three weeks left of this window to bring in a player or two and as you rightly say our position may induce those in charge of the purse-strings to now be a little less risk averse. DM has also intimated that the young players have a chance to stake a place in the side, so things could get interesting on that score.

Today has been a bummer for sure, but there's far from a need to panic.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #479 on: January 11, 2019, 06:39:01 PM »
No major domiciled but a massive blow until we get a replacement as I don’t think we have anyone who can step into the first team with pace and skill to frighten defenders and make such an impact on games.
Really enjoyed his spell with us and very disrespectful from Leicester recalling him on the eve of such s big game.
Still, over to the Board now to get a replacement in as remember that we have already shipped out our other young pacey forward Burke.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #480 on: January 11, 2019, 06:47:41 PM »
Him and Dorrans.

Koumas far better than both. Maresca too.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #481 on: January 11, 2019, 07:11:23 PM »
It's a real, real blow but come on, we all expected it didn't we?

So, the real question is... have Dowling and the board prepared for this eventuality? You just know that the board have had no plan in place other than a cheap, shoddy loan to cover central midfield and leave Phillips and Sako to cover the wings.

Time to find out...

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #482 on: January 11, 2019, 07:17:30 PM »
I have a feeling he will be back soon enough.

As much as he is good at this level hes not at the level in my view Leicester would require for him to be a starter at this level.

He may have to return to Leicester but he wont be happy if hes not going to feature and may request a move before the end of the window.
I don't think he's the sort of lad who would have a strop within 3 weeks of going back - suspect he's also not dull and won't expect to start every game. He obviously wouldn't be happy if he didn't have decent game time over the 2nd half of the season but the window will be shut by the time that point arrives.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Cullompton baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #483 on: January 11, 2019, 07:39:06 PM »
We need to get over the loss of Barnes, he was never ours to keep! always a chance with any loan player- that if they are good! parent club would recall them!
From Tividale to the Hawthorns

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #484 on: January 11, 2019, 07:43:56 PM »
I'd expect Giles Barnes to sign just so the club don't have to get rid of Harvey's top

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #485 on: January 11, 2019, 08:02:27 PM »
Losing Barnes doesn't have to be so painful.

Phillips stepping up into Barnes position isn't so bad I think, he's easily one of the best wingers in the league. More than capable of getting goals and assists.

For now I'd give Harper an audition in central midfield in place of Phillips for the next 3 games. Who knows, maybe we'll be rewarded like Leeds and Norwich have with their academy players who've been given chances this season. If not, there's time in the transfer window to shop around. It's a shame we didn't go for Kieran Dowell when he was available, he was doing extremely well at Forest last year till Karanka came in.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #486 on: January 11, 2019, 08:42:49 PM »
Disasterous. I can't see us replacing what he brought to the team. Gutted is not the word.

Ditto . Live in Leicester and they ( the fans) don’t think he’ll get in the team. If not will be gutted

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #487 on: January 11, 2019, 08:51:18 PM »
Leicester play the Dingles on the 19th..would be nice if he came on at some stage and scored the winner...pulled his shirt up to reveal 1-5......

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #488 on: January 11, 2019, 08:59:17 PM »
I find his recall strange considering Leicester are apparently after Jarrod Bowen from Hull

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #489 on: January 11, 2019, 09:32:29 PM »

Not at all, Barnes is Koumas with a brain.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #490 on: January 11, 2019, 09:53:24 PM »
Gutted by this,as soon as Leicester lost to Newport in the cup,this was a certainty to happen,i really hope I am wrong but this kid was the difference between a play off place and mid table and was a joy to watch too.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #491 on: January 11, 2019, 10:28:36 PM »
Not at all, Barnes is Koumas with a brain.

Can't agree with that. Koumas was all footballing 'brain' carrying a lack of athleticism, speed and physicality. Barnes is naturally athletic with great acceleration and produces brief moments of class when acting on instinct, but when he has time to 'think' he quite often exhibits poor decision making. In this respect Koumas at his best was much better than Barnes.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #492 on: January 11, 2019, 10:31:30 PM »
Agreed, I can see him back here before the end of the window.
Is it true if he makes an appearance for Leicester the only team he could go back out on loan to would be us(because you can't play for more than two clubs in one season) wouldn't want him to go out on loan to one of our rivals.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #493 on: January 11, 2019, 10:50:19 PM »
Can't agree with that. Koumas was all footballing 'brain' carrying a lack of athleticism, speed and physicality. Barnes is naturally athletic with great acceleration and produces brief moments of class when acting on instinct, but when he has time to 'think' he quite often exhibits poor decision making. In this respect Koumas at his best was much better than Barnes.
You've said it there 'Koumas at his best' - did he feature so strongly game in game out for half a season ? Barnes attacking game is all at high pace which it needs to be in the modern game. He wouldn't have had that many goals and assists if his decision making was poor.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #494 on: January 11, 2019, 10:53:51 PM »

Thought you might bite  :) Koumas was very talented but erratic; Dorrans was more consistent, more of a team player, and scored more goals. Maresca was pre Championship wasn't he?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:55:32 PM by timdon »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #495 on: January 11, 2019, 11:00:30 PM »
Thought you might bite  :) Koumas was very talented but erratic; Dorrans was more consistent, more of a team player, and scored more goals. Maresca was pre Championship wasn't he?

Brunt was actually the top scorer in the Championship for us in Dorrans season. And he wasn't on penalties, Dorrans was a flat track bully who hid in the big games. Barnes isn't our best player this season never mind ever in the division.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #496 on: January 11, 2019, 11:13:08 PM »
Agreed, I can see him back here before the end of the window.

I love the optimism here but don’t buy it. He returns to Leicester on 11 January but returns to us within 3 weeks. Why??? We must accept that he’s gone and won’t be back. Thanks for your efforts Harvey.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #497 on: January 11, 2019, 11:23:29 PM »

Brunt was actually the top scorer in the Championship for us in Dorrans season. And he wasn't on penalties, Dorrans was a flat track bully who hid in the big games. Barnes isn't our best player this season never mind ever in the division.
I didn't actually claim that he was the top scorer that season, though he was (equal with Brunt). Harvey Barnes has a better record than both of them though.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #498 on: January 11, 2019, 11:40:52 PM »
The main thing that annoys me is the timing of all this. He's not going to play for Leicester this weekend so couldn't it have waited until after the Norwich game? Don't understand it at all.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #499 on: January 11, 2019, 11:44:50 PM »
You've said it there 'Koumas at his best' - did he feature so strongly game in game out for half a season ? Barnes attacking game is all at high pace which it needs to be in the modern game. He wouldn't have had that many goals and assists if his decision making was poor.

By Koumas at his best I didn't just mean the odd performance, but during his peak years. You think that Koumas didn't feature strongly game in game out for half a season? Perhaps you're joking. Koumas was the Championship player of the 2006-2007 season, and was in the Championship team of the season on at least one other occasion.

You mention pace in the modern game. Read my post. I say that Barnes is athletic and has pace but his decision making is lacking, which in my opinion it is. Koumas was more the opposite, a highly intelligent footballer who lacked natural athleticism.

As to Barnes' decision making, I am talking about this attribute as it is applied throughout a match on every aspect of a players performance. I've seen enough of Barnes to see that he needs to improve massively in this area. In fact it's probably at least partly why he was loaned out in the first place. This improvement might come with time and experience but these things aren't guaranteed.

Barnes is not only not the best Championship player Albion have had, he's not even the best player we have this season. I'm not saying he's not going to be missed, but I don't think he's anywhere near as good as what people seem to believe.