Author Topic: FORMULA ONE THREAD  (Read 46013 times)

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

Re: FORMULA ONE THREAD
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2021, 07:11:55 PM »
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2021, 07:15:55 PM »
Even the Hamilton fan club, aka Sky commentators, said Hamilton did't leave Max enough room

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2021, 08:07:33 PM »
Verstappen gets a grid penalty for next race
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2021, 08:20:58 PM »
max gets 3 place grid penalty Lewis got nothing for Silverstone. stinks

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2021, 09:15:18 PM »
They are determined to give their darling Hamilton the best possible chance of winning the title

It stinks the preferential treatment he gets

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2021, 09:24:07 PM »
Perhaps if Verstappen had stayed on the track instead of bouncing off the kerb it would have had a different outcome !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

buzzingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2021, 09:52:29 PM »
Clearly Max's  fault, he was he was never making that corner, he was perpendicular to the corner, no intention to make it.

He should of backed out

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2021, 09:57:37 PM »
Verstappen to blame
Hes always been a reckless and dangerous driver
Desperate to become World champion
I hope Hamilton wins the championship again, he's the greatest ever in my opinion

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2021, 10:17:11 PM »
Even the Hamilton fan club, aka Sky commentators, said Hamilton did't leave Max enough room

Genuine question from someone who doesn't pay much attention to Formula One or any other type of car racing.

Could you explain to me in simple terms why a driver who wants to win a race would leave room sufficient for a fellow competitor to pass them please?

For the avoidance of doubt I'm not being remotely sarcastic or smart arsey......... (honestly  ;D ).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2021, 10:37:14 PM »
I'm surprised there has been a grid penalty.  Like Dan I know very little about motor racing, albeit have lots of mates and family who love it, but when my old man had it on when I visited this afternoon the general concensus everywhere I looked seemed to be that it was just a "racing incident" rather than someone to blame.
Boing Boing

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2021, 11:17:56 PM »
Verstappen to blame
I hope Hamilton wins the championship again, he's the greatest ever in my opinion

Never in a million years is Hamilton the greatest. Formula 1 is a shadow of what it used to be, a glorified Formula Ford and calling it Grand Prix racing is an insult to the real Grand Prix drivers. The greatest driver I have ever seen was Jim Clark, drove all sorts of cars and won in all of them; in comparison, Lewis Hamilton would qualify as a car cleaner. Most, if not all, previous world champions have been better drivers than Hamilton, it’s just that for most of his F1 career he has had the best car by far and the opposition has been poor. If you really think that Hamilton is the ‘Greatest’, read some motor racing history, it would almost certainly change your mind.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2021, 07:24:35 AM »
Never in a million years is Hamilton the greatest. Formula 1 is a shadow of what it used to be, a glorified Formula Ford and calling it Grand Prix racing is an insult to the real Grand Prix drivers. The greatest driver I have ever seen was Jim Clark, drove all sorts of cars and won in all of them; in comparison, Lewis Hamilton would qualify as a car cleaner. Most, if not all, previous world champions have been better drivers than Hamilton, it’s just that for most of his F1 career he has had the best car by far and the opposition has been poor. If you really think that Hamilton is the ‘Greatest’, read some motor racing history, it would almost certainly change your mind.
100% - He's a good driver but not the greatest. As you rightly say for all his career he has had the best car
He has never dragged a team out of the doldrums like Schumacher did with Ferrari

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2021, 07:27:02 AM »
It's my opinion lads

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2021, 11:44:47 AM »
It's my opinion lads

And people are allowed to disagree and say why they disagree.

You can't just say "it's my opinion" as if that somehow exempts your opinion from being critiqued
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2021, 12:08:38 PM »
Hey mate I'm not complaining about anyone
You can say what you want and so can i
I can't stop you saying whatever you want within reason
Debate is good I don't take offence, do you?

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2021, 12:15:58 PM »
Verstappen to blame

The Greatest?? I wouldn't say the greatest but he is up there with the best.

I think he is an excellent driver and his ability in the wet shows how good he is too.

On the subject of 'its not as competitive a sport as it used to be', I dont agree he has raced in an era with many good F1 drivers like Alonso, Vettel, Rosberg and quite a few more since 2007/8.

I think its harsh to put Hamilton down like that, the history books will show he was the best of his generation, he is not trying to be the best of anyone elses! But if he breaks their records along the way then he is making the right noises for me.

Yes it's vastly different to pre-2005 Grand Prix motor racing but Hamilton's achievements, driving style, ability in the wet, one tracked mind wining mentality is undeniable in my honest.

He is a great driver.

My favourite was Senna. Schumacher was outstanding and possibly the best of the lot
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2021, 12:17:43 PM »
I see parallels with tennis

Sampras best by a margin in his era

Djokovic / Nadal / Federer, competitive trio
Connors / McEnroe, competitive pair

Best of all time ?? I'd argue Federer or Sampras?

F1
Hamilton = Sampras

Schumacher = Federer

Hunt / Senna / Prost = competitive trio
Stewart / Jim Clarke / Graham Hill

Impossible to say who is the best ever IMO. (personally its Schumacher with Hamilton getting very close)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2021, 07:37:16 AM »
Can't see Federer cutting his granny off at the knees to win a game of tennis. When it comes to motor racing and Schumacher on the other hand you're talking Death Race 2000  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2021, 08:29:32 PM »
Schumaker, Senna, passable drivers, Top echelon of their era but not alone. However they are not Great drivers. Both are/were aggressive drivers who others with more sense would often give way to. They only got away with some of the stuff they did on the track because of the vastly improved safety at tracks and in cars. For them it was virtually no risk scalextric racing,  and still is. Previous championships required trust in each others skills and fair play to race closely and not kill yourself or your opponents. Neither they nor Verstappen would have made any impression through their bullying tactics because they simply would not have taken the real risks involved rather than merely running off the road relatively safely, or just losing the race.
For a long time we have feted F1, largely due to the hype of its publicists, and nothing to do with the turgid processions served up by drivers who drive nothing but F1 machinery. Back in the day you could watch top drivers racing sports cars or saloons at the same meet as a Grand Prix. These were true Drivers not the diminutive little car steerers of today, where most of the crucial stuff can be done remotely from the pit lane. Soon be time to leave the 'drivers' out of the equation altogether and turn it all into an arcade game.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2021, 09:40:20 PM »
Schumaker, Senna, passable drivers, Top echelon of their era but not alone. However they are not Great drivers. Both are/were aggressive drivers who others with more sense would often give way to. They only got away with some of the stuff they did on the track because of the vastly improved safety at tracks and in cars. For them it was virtually no risk scalextric racing,  and still is. Previous championships required trust in each others skills and fair play to race closely and not kill yourself or your opponents. Neither they nor Verstappen would have made any impression through their bullying tactics because they simply would not have taken the real risks involved rather than merely running off the road relatively safely, or just losing the race.
For a long time we have feted F1, largely due to the hype of its publicists, and nothing to do with the turgid processions served up by drivers who drive nothing but F1 machinery. Back in the day you could watch top drivers racing sports cars or saloons at the same meet as a Grand Prix. These were true Drivers not the diminutive little car steerers of today, where most of the crucial stuff can be done remotely from the pit lane. Soon be time to leave the 'drivers' out of the equation altogether and turn it all into an arcade game.

Not a fan then ?
Albion Family !!!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2021, 10:52:39 PM »

Senna - passable???!!!😂

I am still laughing. Best ever and would romp over today’s lot. No namby pamby rules , just got out there and drove, and he had some fantastic competition. My opinion of course 😉
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 11:41:11 AM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2021, 11:07:42 PM »
Senna - passable???!!!😂

I am still laughing. Best ever and would romp over today’s lot. No nanny pamby rules , just got out there and drove, and he had some fantastic competition. My opinion of course 😉

Funny I was just talking about senna and a signed book I got of his and the value it may be now, probably not that much considering the amount of things he’d of signed. Back to your point and even though I love f1 I’d love to know senna thoughts on to be able to make a pass you have to have part of the rear wing open up, I’m sure he’d be spinning in his grave with that one. I know it’s necessary as modern cars cannot pass follow very well but I’m sure he’d not agree with it.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2021, 11:17:50 AM »
Schui wasn't passable either, (literally) he would have no qualms in running you off the road !

& championships suggests he was a bit more than "passable" as well.
Albion Family !!!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2021, 11:44:25 AM »
I think they were all up for a bit of ram raiding when it suited them. Senna and co was an absolute golden age . Schumacher took over and with the changes of modifications it has become very boring all round.

Senna wasn’t passable either! He had a very wide car when it suited him
MAGA!

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2021, 12:25:51 PM »
Not a fan then ?

Been going to major national and international motor racing events, F1 and sports prototype, endurance since the early sixties, but was a fan even before I went to see me beloved Baggies, in the middle fifties. Mother used to have the Britsh GP and the Isle of Man tt races on the radio even before I was school age.

So Yes I am a fan but cannot stand the present day scalextric racing with minimal driver input and cars that stick to the track like superglue. Believe me as a spectator the top speeds mean far less than the actual racing skills in controlling the cars - the driving if you like. 200mph+ don't look that much different to 150mph, to the naked eye anyway. Would not want a return to the 2 or 3 deaths every year but something that puts more emphasis on the driver rather than the technology would make it far more enjoyable for me.