Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 668217 times)

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #1275 on: February 14, 2020, 01:42:32 AM »
:( Could be worse we could have the Leeds keeper Casilles Kickarse!!!!
 He cannot do anything right and is a real "downer" for their chances of going up. ;D

Sods law that the racist scumbag had his best game against us recently when unfortunately his handling was very good.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1276 on: February 15, 2020, 03:08:16 PM »
Forests latex equaliser was a good strike but I do feel a top keeper should be getting a hand on it

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1277 on: February 15, 2020, 03:09:41 PM »
Forests latex equaliser was a good strike but I do feel a top keeper should be getting a hand on it

Have you seen it back on TV? No keeper was getting that.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1278 on: February 15, 2020, 03:10:30 PM »

I know what you mean SJ barely gets off the ground.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1279 on: February 15, 2020, 03:17:46 PM »
He had no chance with their equaliser.

Thought he could have claimed the first one. It’s all down to anticipation and game awareness. There’s plenty of space around as it’s only Grbban and Bartley around in the six yard box. Your centre half is not positioned correctly. Forest, a side who like to get crosses into the box, it’s in your six yard box..

For me the keeper needs to come and claim that. He’s far too flat footed.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1280 on: February 15, 2020, 03:21:32 PM »
He had no chance with their equaliser.

Thought he could have claimed the first one. It’s all down to anticipation and game awareness. There’s plenty of space around as it’s only Grbban and Bartley around in the six yard box. Your centre half is not positioned correctly. Forest, a side who like to get crosses into the box, it’s in your six yard box..

For me the keeper needs to come and claim that. He’s far too flat footed.

Agree entirely with that analysis Liam.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1281 on: February 15, 2020, 03:23:13 PM »
Absolutely no blame on him at all for the late Forest equaliser. More of a case for the first one I agree.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1282 on: February 15, 2020, 03:25:38 PM »
Same, 1st one he should have come and gobbled  up but i've given up all hope of that ever happening. 2nd one was a good strike.

yorkshire baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1283 on: February 15, 2020, 03:26:51 PM »
That's enough now. Time and time again he fails to command his area. Defenders have no confidence in him and as a result any ball in to the area is a potential goal.
This man could cost us promotion.
We have two other options. They can not be any worse. 8

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1284 on: February 15, 2020, 03:37:15 PM »
Seems undroppable for some reason. I am baffled as to why Bilic picks him.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1285 on: February 15, 2020, 05:47:38 PM »
We have to replace this liabilty, whether we get to the Prem or not.
It may cost a few bob, but it would be an investment.

He won't command his own box, never mind the penalty area.
It is only 6 yards out from his goal line (y'know the one which he remains on).
He is more fearful about crosses than Dracular.

Perhaps Slaven doesn't rate Bond for some reason.
How about bringing Alex Palmer back, now that he has been out on loan? Or even at a push...  Josh Griffiths.
Both have come through our academy.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1286 on: February 15, 2020, 08:46:28 PM »
What about Mr.Butland?
Always rated him,he wouldn't have to move house.
I thought he would leave Stoke in the summer.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1287 on: February 15, 2020, 08:53:06 PM »
What about Mr.Butland?
Always rated him,he wouldn't have to move house.
I thought he would leave Stoke in the summer.

Not a bad shout, still only 26. 1 year left on contract at end of season. How much would it cost though?

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1288 on: February 15, 2020, 08:54:34 PM »
Butland has been absolutely terrible most of this season

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1289 on: February 15, 2020, 08:59:40 PM »
Far better than Johnstone though.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1290 on: February 15, 2020, 09:07:37 PM »

I can only imagine the abuse SJ would receive if he'd have made the clangers Butland has this season.

We need an upgrade and identifying that man will be huge decision irrespective of what decision we're in

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1291 on: February 15, 2020, 09:13:39 PM »
It must be a goalkeeper thing...
Stoke fans blame Butland for a good proportion of SCFC's woes.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1292 on: February 15, 2020, 09:28:04 PM »
He obviously wants to leave for pastures new,who can blame him?
He's better than Stoke.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1293 on: February 15, 2020, 09:52:52 PM »
I just do not get it
There has been much on here over recent times, wether or not people should question the manager (and apparently some saying his position should be under threat) and it remains mostly sensible thoughts of the people and their own opinions.

Then we get to the keeper and this seems to split the fan base in 3
1) he’s not good enough for where we are/where we are going (hopefully)
2) he’s actually very good, look at his penalty record and some recent clean sheets
3) don’t really get involved , he is the keeper so let’s get on with it

For clarity I am definitely in number 1, I have been for most of the time he’s been in goal.
I’ve never met him, don’t care that he came from villa (super Kev was ok?) and gain nothing from wishing him to be replaced...other than the hope that the replacement is better..
But ......I’m definitely not a lone voice, there seemed a few that agreed and over time this has snowballed and now feels like the majority (certainly from the posts I read) are in 1 with many stating things like “I thought he was ok but he seems to be getting worse”
Now....we can’t blame the player for being picked....so How come the manager/coaching staff haven’t done anything about it ?
Does Slav really have the balls to drop someone on form?
To me it feels like most changes this season have been enforced due to injuries/suspension with the exclusion of Phillips (although possibly exhausted) and furlong (which is a head scratcher) I can’t remember anyone being dropped for being poor?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1294 on: February 15, 2020, 10:01:02 PM »
I think the goalkeeper decision must be a very tricky one for any manager. I think most managers pray they already have a good keeper when they join a club and never want to think about that position again. I honestly don't think we can drop now, we need to hope he improves and then upgrade in the summer.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1295 on: February 15, 2020, 10:02:55 PM »
I just do not get it
There has been much on here over recent times, wether or not people should question the manager (and apparently some saying his position should be under threat) and it remains mostly sensible thoughts of the people and their own opinions.

2) he’s actually very good, look at his penalty record and some recent clean sheets

For clarity I am definitely in number 1, I have been for most of the time he’s been in goal.
I’ve never met him, don’t care that he came from villa (super Kev was ok?) and gain nothing from wishing him to be replaced...other than the hope that the replacement is better..
But ......I’m definitely not a lone voice, there seemed a few that agreed and over time this has snowballed and now feels like the majority (certainly from the posts I read) are in 1 with many stating things like “I thought he was ok but he seems to be getting worse”
Now....we can’t blame the player for being picked....so How come the manager/coaching staff haven’t done anything about it ?
To me it feels like most changes this season have been enforced due to injuries/suspension with the exclusion of Phillips (although possibly exhausted) and furlong (which is a head scratcher) I can’t remember anyone being dropped for being poor?

Hegazi ?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1296 on: February 15, 2020, 10:23:14 PM »
Hegazi ?
Should never have come in after O’Shea played so well...so (after the training ground fight) it was easy to pull him after a few games .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1297 on: February 16, 2020, 11:12:26 AM »
Only if he could have stretched out a very elastic arm...

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1298 on: February 16, 2020, 12:16:51 PM »
I just do not get it

I think your post sums things up quite nicely.

I thought it would be worth a look to see how the fish sniffers at seal park felt about SJ & was not surprised to see practically identical posts to many on our own forum.
It was all ‘welcome Sam, a great signing’ in the beginning, followed by the same reservations, to plenty of comments about not commanding his area & poor distribution, but a good shot stopper, to finally not good enough & £6.5m fee way to much.

I have seen nothing yet to change my mind about SJ being not good enough & if we were promoted, the thought of SJ in goal fills me with little confidence.
I would LOVE to be proved wrong about SJ, but I will not be holding my breath.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 12:18:22 PM by Manc Baggie »

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1299 on: February 16, 2020, 01:35:34 PM »
I'm not a great fan of SJ's, but we'll have to stick with him for this season and hope he's got enough in his locker to help us to promotion. If we make it to the Prem, I'd like to see a keeper who commands his box, comes for crosses and has the authority to help organise his defence.
One obvious candidate who ticks all those boxes is Foster. If Watford get relegated, then we should make him an offer which I think he might accept. Back in the Midlands, kids are West Brom fans etc. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure