Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 658281 times)

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #3300 on: April 17, 2023, 08:43:58 PM »
Played first half I think
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3301 on: April 26, 2023, 06:29:25 PM »
Ashworth seems to be getting nice reviews from his loan out  on Burton which is nice to see.

If as is almost certain we stay down we're desperate for the academy to fill holes in the squad to make us competitive - so if Ashworth can become solid competition for Townsend, along with Taylor who's had excellent reviews and seems ready to step up that goes someway to plugging the need for "defensive" signings outside of a new right back for next season.

If one of the forward players Clearly/Faal could make the step up to first team squad member, that'd be a good haul and set us up well for next season and leave what precious funds we will have for more targeted improvements.

Of course, we've generally been reluctant to rely too much on the academy in favour of hoping ageing frees do the job instead, but we're at the stage of getting forced into it.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3302 on: April 27, 2023, 07:18:20 AM »
Where are we with Faal and his contract ? It looks to me as though his contract is up at the end of the season ?
Cleary and Malcolm have 1 year left on their deals. Cleary certainly looks to have something and knows where the back of the net is. I'd hope he would be featuring in the 1st team squad next year.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3303 on: April 29, 2023, 11:05:21 AM »
Sule scored a screamer yesterday for the PL2 team. Not afraid to have a go.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3304 on: April 29, 2023, 04:00:17 PM »
Anyone have any idea how Fellows has done?!

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3305 on: April 29, 2023, 05:52:20 PM »
In and out the team at Crawley who finished 90th
Doesn’t bode well for him having a future with us

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3306 on: April 29, 2023, 06:24:07 PM »
33 games , played a few different positions.
Wouldn't rule him out just yet.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3307 on: April 29, 2023, 09:26:36 PM »

Same division that we recruited 25 year old Thomas-Asante from…

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3308 on: April 29, 2023, 10:03:36 PM »
Being top scorer and a regular for a team vying for promotion is a bit different to not much game time at the team who finished 90th
I’m not saying he won’t make it, I just doubt it will be at championship level

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3309 on: April 29, 2023, 10:19:48 PM »
Victory over Leeds yesterday means we're in a po with forest and could meet the vile scum in the final.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3310 on: April 29, 2023, 11:19:22 PM »

He’s 24.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3311 on: April 30, 2023, 05:07:05 AM »

Fellows is very young, one of two teenagers to have played over 2000 minutes in league 2 this season (in general only 8 teenagers in the football league have played over 2000 minutes this season)

At his age just getting out there and getting regular game time in pro football puts him ahead of most his peers. Doubtful he's ready for us, but shouldn't be written off for not pulling up trees either given his age and the fact it's his first loan.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3312 on: April 30, 2023, 04:50:54 PM »
Fellows is very young, one of two teenagers to have played over 2000 minutes in league 2 this season (in general only 8 teenagers in the football league have played over 2000 minutes this season)

At his age just getting out there and getting regular game time in pro football puts him ahead of most his peers. Doubtful he's ready for us, but shouldn't be written off for not pulling up trees either given his age and the fact it's his first loan.

Thanks for the research Dan. My first instinct was to agree with Graka, but then I forget he's just 19. If he is still not managing much next season then that's a bit different, but there's time yet.
Boing Boing

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3313 on: May 05, 2023, 12:51:57 PM »
Whitwell academy player of the season. Really think this guy has a chance of becoming a regular in the first-team squad next season along with Taylor.

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3314 on: May 05, 2023, 12:55:43 PM »
Really think this guy has a chance of becoming a regular in the first-team squad next season
Really? Is he that good? He's only 17 according to the OS.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3315 on: May 05, 2023, 12:56:47 PM »
Really? Is he that good? He's only 17 according to the OS.

17 but regular stand out in our 23s team. Might need another year in the 23s but can’t be far away now. We’ll see what happens.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3316 on: May 05, 2023, 01:48:46 PM »
Whitwell academy player of the season. Really think this guy has a chance of becoming a regular in the first-team squad next season along with Taylor.

On the Summer/Next Season thread it was loosely rumoured (yet not substantiated) that the Vile had bought an unnamed member of our academy for £1M.

When I read the name Whitwell in the opening line of your post I thought you were going to tell us it was Harry Whitwell. I was about to disappear in a cloud of flames and smoke accompanied by a bang.

Chuffed more than you know that you're breaking different news. This lad's got a very good reputation, I really hope we can keep hold of him and see him develop to his full potential with Albion.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3317 on: May 05, 2023, 01:54:16 PM »
On the Summer/Next Season thread it was loosely rumoured (yet not substantiated) that the Vile had bought an unnamed member of our academy for £1M.

When I read the name Whitwell in the opening line of your post I thought you were going to tell us it was Harry Whitwell. I was about to disappear in a cloud of flames and smoke accompanied by a bang.

Chuffed more than you know that you're breaking different news. This lad's got a very good reputation, I really hope we can keep hold of him and see him develop to his full potential with Albion.

No, don’t think it’s Whitwell. I’ll try and find out who, if anyone at all, it is that’s gone to Villa for 1 million. I don’t referee as many games at the academy anymore but when I’m next there I’ll see if I can find out.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3318 on: May 05, 2023, 04:45:52 PM »
No, don’t think it’s Whitwell. I’ll try and find out who, if anyone at all, it is that’s gone to Villa for 1 million. I don’t referee as many games at the academy anymore but when I’m next there I’ll see if I can find out.
Whether he still classes as academy I'm not sure but I was wondering about Cleary given that he's only got one year left on his deal - we may not turn down that sort of offer. Would much prefer to see him stay though.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3319 on: May 05, 2023, 05:16:31 PM »

Very little chance. What I've seen of Whitwell he has obvious promise but he's not Championship ready yet. Perhaps the season after, but I'd be amazed if he's a regular squad member next season.

Albionfan1983

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3320 on: May 11, 2023, 09:48:38 AM »
Looks like we are listening to offers for Cleary. Cutbacks are likely too

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3321 on: May 11, 2023, 09:55:11 AM »
Cleary should be given a proper chance next season. He has earnt it. It also only takes a relatively small degree of success as a striker at his age for his price to skyrocket.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3322 on: May 11, 2023, 10:15:45 AM »
Looks like we are listening to offers for Cleary. Cutbacks are likely too

I think everyone and their dog knows the club's facing cutbacks. Any links to suggest we're listening to offers for an academy player who's rarely featured in first team squads? Or are you speculating/fishing through an ice hole in the hope of a general meltdown on the academy thread?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3323 on: May 11, 2023, 10:18:40 AM »
I think everyone and their dog knows the club's facing cutbacks. Any links to suggest we're listening to offers for an academy player who's rarely featured in first team squads? Or are you speculating/fishing through an ice hole in the hope of a general meltdown on the academy thread?
judging by post history, probably the latter.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3324 on: May 11, 2023, 10:24:27 AM »
No one bothered to sign Cleary last summer when he was on a free so i'd be surprised if he was attracting much interest now.