Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 656604 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #1675 on: September 21, 2020, 07:43:29 PM »
Wasn't Windsor already smashing them in at non league standard at 16?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1676 on: September 21, 2020, 07:48:09 PM »
how old is the full back at brighton Lamptey, 17. If they are good enough ...................

Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1677 on: September 21, 2020, 07:49:17 PM »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1678 on: September 23, 2020, 10:30:39 AM »
A chance to watch Appy's Baggies (Lincoln City) v Liverpool tomorrow.  For for those who can to have a look at Alex  Palmer and hopefully report back
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1679 on: September 24, 2020, 09:50:39 PM »
Hope this hammering lincoln have recieved doesnt damage palmer's confidence.
No Morton wasn't he fit? Or is he just in line to play at weekend?
O Albion we love you

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1680 on: September 24, 2020, 09:54:32 PM »
Hope this hammering lincoln have recieved doesnt damage palmer's confidence.
No Morton wasn't he fit? Or is he just in line to play at weekend?

He had no chance for the 1st 4, made a good save in the build up to the 5th.

Weak low down to his right for the 6th and 7th unfortunately.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1681 on: September 25, 2020, 08:35:47 AM »
Callum Morton has suffered a potentially long term injury. Unsure on the nature or the duration, but seems it isn’t something picked up on the training field, which is odd.
Boing Boing

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1682 on: September 25, 2020, 11:07:47 AM »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1683 on: September 27, 2020, 08:24:42 PM »
Windsor seems to have come on really well in a short space of time, probably a loan in January would be good.
Gera, Gera, Gera

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1684 on: October 02, 2020, 04:26:31 PM »
Just ended. 1-1 against Reading. T Fellows scorer.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1685 on: October 02, 2020, 04:39:59 PM »
Official WBA twitter gave the goal to Windsor.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1686 on: October 02, 2020, 06:23:00 PM »
Yeah I think live scores had it wrong - they also had us winning 1-0. Windsor starting to score on a regular basis now. A loan move for him in January perhaps?

In other news, Finn Azaz has been voted Cheltenham Town’s player of the month by their fans, which is great news.

Surprisingly, Saul Shotton has also gone out on loan to Woking. Not sure what to think about that. On the one hand, he was a player who at his age needed a loan move, but with him turning 20 in a few months time and having been a part of the first team pre season, I didn’t quite expect him to go down to the fifth tier and on the fringe of part time football. I hope it is only a short term arrangement and he ends up in league 2 for the second half of the season.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1687 on: October 02, 2020, 06:34:06 PM »
Shottons back in Jan 1st. Half season loan.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1688 on: October 03, 2020, 04:00:37 PM »
Finn Azaz has scored again for Cheltenham, who are 2-0 up at half time.
Boing Boing

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1689 on: October 03, 2020, 04:53:13 PM »
Finn Azaz has scored again for Cheltenham, who are 2-0 up at half time.
We seem to have some very decent and promising young goal scorers and goalkeepers on our books - 2 areas that we currently need improvement in. Wonder when/if we can expect to see any of them in the first team. Next season maybe?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1690 on: October 03, 2020, 05:01:15 PM »
I suppose it depends if we go down to the championship or not.

Cheltenham won 2-0 with Griffiths getting another clean sheet. Azaz was once again subbed off just after the hour mark which is a bit of a shame.

Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1691 on: October 03, 2020, 05:25:49 PM »
I suppose it depends if we go down to the championship or not.

Cheltenham won 2-0 with Griffiths getting another clean sheet. Azaz was once again subbed off just after the hour mark which is a bit of a shame.

Why is it a shame? It's some schedule down there so if it keeps him fresh and fit to start regularly I'm all for it.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1692 on: October 03, 2020, 11:31:55 PM »
Why is it a shame? It's some schedule down there so if it keeps him fresh and fit to start regularly I'm all for it.

It's more assumption about what it hints at.

If Azaz is going to have an impact here in the next season or two, he ideally needs to be the best player this season at a league 2 side.  Would it be normal to take your best player off every single game with half an hour still to play and the game still hanging in the balance? That is where Azaz is at the moment. 

It's not a major thing and he is clearly heading in the right direction, but it would be nice to see him start to get a few more 90 minutes under his belt as it would indicate that he is becoming their key player, rather than being just the handy creative player.

It's a small thing.
Boing Boing

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1693 on: October 03, 2020, 11:43:49 PM »
It's more assumption about what it hints at.

If Azaz is going to have an impact here in the next season or two, he ideally needs to be the best player this season at a league 2 side.  Would it be normal to take your best player off every single game with half an hour still to play and the game still hanging in the balance? That is where Azaz is at the moment. 

It's not a major thing and he is clearly heading in the right direction, but it would be nice to see him start to get a few more 90 minutes under his belt as it would indicate that he is becoming their key player, rather than being just the handy creative player.

It's a small thing.
to be fair, they’ve only played 3 games and he’s been taken off twice when they’ve been 2/3 goals ahead. The only game they weren’t Ahead (the first game against Morcambe) he played the whole match.

I don’t see it as being an indicator of anything, more he’s been taken off and kept fresh because they can.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1694 on: October 04, 2020, 02:53:34 AM »
to be fair, they’ve only played 3 games and he’s been taken off twice when they’ve been 2/3 goals ahead. The only game they weren’t Ahead (the first game against Morcambe) he played the whole match.

I don’t see it as being an indicator of anything, more he’s been taken off and kept fresh because they can.

6th game of the season in all comps, two sub appearances, twice taken off as a sub around the hour mark. Pre season I followed the Gloucestershire live journalist who also commented he was one of two players going into their final pre season game who hadn’t yet been given a full 90.

It isn’t a major thing, maybe they are just keeping him fresh. I just hope it isn’t a trend. I did only say it was a “bit of a shame”.
Boing Boing

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1695 on: October 04, 2020, 04:06:03 AM »
Player of the Month - keep it up lad, well done
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1696 on: October 04, 2020, 08:43:24 AM »
Player of the Month - keep it up lad, well done
That would suggest protection rather than being taken off to improve the team
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1697 on: October 04, 2020, 08:47:06 AM »
6th game of the season in all comps, two sub appearances, twice taken off as a sub around the hour mark. Pre season I followed the Gloucestershire live journalist who also commented he was one of two players going into their final pre season game who hadn’t yet been given a full 90.

It isn’t a major thing, maybe they are just keeping him fresh. I just hope it isn’t a trend. I did only say it was a “bit of a shame”.

I understand where you are going, but I imagine as a young lad who hasn’t played first team football before it takes a while to  get  used to the pace and intensity of the senior game, but also how to pace himself.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1698 on: October 05, 2020, 04:50:54 PM »
Bad news - Callum Morton likely out for 2 months and may need surgery on his shoulder so don't expect to see much of him this side of Christmas. A huge blow as if he had a good campaign this year he could have been in with an outside chance of being one of our rotation strikers next season. Will be a bit tougher for him now.

On a brighter note, Lincoln will replace him by taking Jamie Soule on loan. Surprised Soule has gone to league 1 after only being judged good enough for a national league loan back in Jan, but a chance for him to work with a coach who knows him in Appleton.

That leaves just Rakeem Harper now who we desperately need to go out on loan. If we do get Harper out on loan in the next 2 weeks, it will have been a very good development window for the academy. A rare positive.
Boing Boing

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1699 on: October 05, 2020, 05:42:33 PM »
Bad news - Callum Morton likely out for 2 months and may need surgery on his shoulder so don't expect to see much of him this side of Christmas. A huge blow as if he had a good campaign this year he could have been in with an outside chance of being one of our rotation strikers next season. Will be a bit tougher for him now.

On a brighter note, Lincoln will replace him by taking Jamie Soule on loan. Surprised Soule has gone to league 1 after only being judged good enough for a national league loan back in Jan, but a chance for him to work with a coach who knows him in Appleton.

That leaves just Rakeem Harper now who we desperately need to go out on loan. If we do get Harper out on loan in the next 2 weeks, it will have been a very good development window for the academy. A rare positive.

Is there a limit on number of outgoing loans now? I want to say it's eight? Might have dreamt it though
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him