Author Topic: Claudio Yacob (Left, now at Nottm Forest)  (Read 325616 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Claudio Yacob
« Reply #1250 on: July 14, 2018, 05:33:27 PM »
Probably the worst post I've ever read. He was immense for us and our decline started when he was dropped.

Completely agree with you. Worse that we still have Barry on the books as well, I would swap them in a heart beat.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1251 on: July 14, 2018, 06:30:33 PM »
Yacob is a very limited footballer, can’t pass, can’t shoot and can’t play in a 442. Also a sending off waiting to happen. Club made the right decision for me

I’m sorry I’m not having that. For all his apparent limitations the squad is far weaker without him in it and will be until we have a suitable replacement. When we had mulumbu and Yacob in a 442 they bossed the midfield. As much as field has shown promise he’s not the same type of player.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1252 on: July 14, 2018, 06:40:21 PM »
Got a feeling this is going to run and run. When we had Yacob and Mulumbu there, we also had the advantage of Lakaku, Odemwingie, Long to offer threat...and younger versions of Morrison, Brunt, Dorrans. The balance of the team was just totally different. We have to think of our team now moving forward. It was time to let Yacob go and time to move on. Field is a different type of player but he can pass, he can move. We've needed a less static midfield for a couple of years now.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1253 on: July 14, 2018, 06:42:26 PM »
Got a feeling this is going to run and run. When we had Yacob and Mulumbu there, we also had the advantage of Lakaku, Odemwingie, Long to offer threat...and younger versions of Morrison, Brunt, Dorrans. The balance of the team was just totally different. We have to think of our team now moving forward. It was time to let Yacob go and time to move on. Field is a different type of player but he can pass, he can move. We've needed a less static midfield for a couple of years now.

Bang on.

I loved Yacob.

But we could have ended up with a midfield of Brunt, Mozza, Barry & Yacob at times this season; imagine the energy levels from that lot!!

Loved him, but time to move on and allow Field a proper chance to shine.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1254 on: July 14, 2018, 06:43:49 PM »
If field shines then fair enough, however I feel we still need an enforcer type in the midfield and until we get a replacement the squad is weaker in my opinion

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1255 on: July 14, 2018, 09:32:34 PM »
Yacob is a very limited footballer, can’t pass, can’t shoot and can’t play in a 442. Also a sending off waiting to happen. Club made the right decision for me

If we had signed him to do any of the above then i agree it was a poor signing on our part but he wasn't he was signed has a stopper someone to break up player & at doing that he was very very successful & could still do a job for us, wrong decision by the club for me. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:52:10 AM by geoff »

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1256 on: July 14, 2018, 09:45:06 PM »
Huge mistake by the club for me letting him go

A travesty infact

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1257 on: July 14, 2018, 09:50:06 PM »
We loose the Yac and keep Barry.
I know we are contractually obliged to Barry but we should have bit the bullet and did all we could to shift Barry out of the door
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1258 on: July 14, 2018, 10:25:02 PM »
Understatement to say Barry is not flavour of the month and it would have been best to move on without both him and Yacob.

I'll prepare for flak but Barry was consistently picked ahead of Yacob last year because he's a better footballer - his passing range is way superior...his career record sort of points to something. Yes he's getting on but he's definitely no slower than Yacob.

Yacob is an out and out stopper and nothing else. Now if DM doesn't want to play with an out and out stopper what is the point of keeping him ?

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1259 on: July 14, 2018, 10:59:53 PM »
Yacob is excellent at what he does but modern day players in that position need to do more than what Yacob can do.

He is a brilliant stopper, tackles well, reads the game and hustles and harries. Great, but clubs who are successful need to have a player that does that AND can pick a pass. Yacob couldn’t do that.

So we had to play someone alongside him who can pass. 2 players doing the job that we may be able to get 1 player to do.

Look at all the top teams. Their midfield stoppers can pass too. Not saying we are a top team but be should be trying to sign a player of similar ilk.

Plus Yacob will be on big wages and is now 32.

Love the bloke but correct decision to release.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1260 on: July 14, 2018, 11:04:51 PM »
Yacob is excellent at what he does but modern day players in that position need to do more than what Yacob can do.

He is a brilliant stopper, tackles well, reads the game and hustles and harries. Great, but clubs who are successful need to have a player that does that AND can pick a pass. Yacob couldn’t do that.

So we had to play someone alongside him who can pass. 2 players doing the job that we may be able to get 1 player to do.

Look at all the top teams. Their midfield stoppers can pass too. Not saying we are a top team but be should be trying to sign a player of similar ilk.

Plus Yacob will be on big wages and is now 32.

Love the bloke but correct decision to release.
Good incisive post.
As you have proabably noticed, I also rue the time that Yacob was released.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1261 on: July 14, 2018, 11:32:33 PM »
so we need a cheap N'golo Kante.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1262 on: July 15, 2018, 04:04:03 AM »
so we need a cheap N'golo Kante.

Yeah, his name was Claudio, his blood ran white and blue and we released him on a bosman. I’m heartened by how much love there is on here for Yacob, richly deserved. A legend who should never have been released.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1263 on: July 15, 2018, 08:53:15 AM »
Like most posters in this thread, I am a fan of Yacob’s.

My heart wanted him to be the same player he was when he arrived, but “time and tide wait for no man”. As a consequence, my head tells me it was the right time for him to go.

Their are many attributes that a good Manager / Head Coach should posses, a winner, tactical awareness, man management, spotting talent, the list goes on. But I suspect one attribute that many may overlook is the ability to know when to let a player go and that is, IMO, the hallmark of SAF tenure at United, which set him above the rest.

Just think back to some of the great players he let go, for various reasons agreed, but he also knew when “Father Time” was creeping up on a player,  players he had nurtured as kids and who he was very fond of.

So, I think the decision to part with Yacob, painful though it is, is the right one.

Thank you Claudio for everything you gave to our club, you will always be remembered and held in the highest esteem and good luck in the future, wherever life takes you.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1264 on: July 15, 2018, 09:12:09 AM »
Loved Yacob but it was time for him to go. He was never the quickest, he's 32 and fitness tends to tail off dramatically at that age.  And it would have meant offering him a new contract so for what? 2, 3 years?

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1265 on: July 15, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »
In 3 months we will know for sure if the decision was good or bad. Tough call but having to keep Barry left us with little choice in my opinion.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1266 on: July 15, 2018, 09:35:16 AM »
Like most posters in this thread, I am a fan of Yacob’s.

My heart wanted him to be the same player he was when he arrived, but “time and tide wait for no man”. As a consequence, my head tells me it was the right time for him to go.

Their are many attributes that a good Manager / Head Coach should posses, a winner, tactical awareness, man management, spotting talent, the list goes on. But I suspect one attribute that many may overlook is the ability to know when to let a player go and that is, IMO, the hallmark of SAF tenure at United, which set him above the rest.

Just think back to some of the great players he let go, for various reasons agreed, but he also knew when “Father Time” was creeping up on a player,  players he had nurtured as kids and who he was very fond of.

So, I think the decision to part with Yacob, painful though it is, is the right one.

Thank you Claudio for everything you gave to our club, you will always be remembered and held in the highest esteem and good luck in the future, wherever life takes you.
This post painfully sums it up for me although I most likely would have kept Yacob for 2 more seasons , as above you hope for the player of his first 3 season's but in your head you know its not going to be like that.
I hope we get the chance to say a proper goodbye.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1267 on: July 15, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »
Part of the reason our squad has got old slow and imbalanced is because we have not let the veterans go. If we have made an error we have held onto to players a year or two too long. Yacob is the first player we might have released maybe a year too soon but I still think overall it was the right thing to do.

As I have said on numerous occasions Yacob is very good at being a screening midfielder in front of a back 4 he cannot be deployed as anything else therefore we either set up that way or he doesn't play. He isn't flexible enough to be a good squad player he covers one position and maybe Centre Half in an emergency. You absolutely cannot play him in a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 nor any set up with a back 3.

His best seasons with us and maybe our best seasons as a team were when he was partnered with Mulumbu in a 4-2-3-1. After Mulumbu left we either haven't played him or partnered him with the wrong type of central midfielder generally either someone who is most comfortable as being the most deep sitting midfielder or hasn't got the legs to cover the ground that Mulumbu did.

Last season we ended up with 5 players who are most comfortable being the most deep sitting midfielder and finished the season playing a 4-4-1-1 with Brunt in a strange quarter back role alongside Livermore. We have been saddled with Barry for this coming season still have Field Livermore and maybe Brunt to play in Central Midfield to my mind this still isn't right but Yacob doesn't make it better.

The World Cup is interesting because it gives us a snapshot of where football is tactically very few teams deployed an absolute screening player even Argentina didn't deploy Mascherano in that role and it is telling that the classic Argentine number 5 played nearly all his Barca career as a Centre Back.

Croatia's Brozovic on paper looks the closest but it is easy to overlook just how good he is on the ball given that he shares the midfield space with Rakitic and Modric. Other than that Eric Dier and well we just proved you don't play a screening midfielder with a back 3. William Carvalho for Portugal also springs to mind I seem to remember him as a much more dynamic player in the Euros of 2 years ago but was most definitely operating as a screening mid in this tournament. 

Unfortunately for Yacob maybe time is up on the screening midfielder. It will be interesting to see where he fetches up.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:32:49 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1268 on: July 15, 2018, 10:26:56 PM »
Part of the reason our squad has got old slow and imbalanced is because we have not let the veterans go. If we have made an error we have held onto to players a year or two too long. Yacob is the first player we might have released maybe a year too soon but I still think overall it was the right thing to do.

As I have said on numerous occasions Yacob is very good at being a screening midfielder in front of a back 4 he cannot be deployed as anything else therefore we either set up that way or he doesn't play. He isn't flexible enough to be a good squad player he covers one position and maybe Centre Half in an emergency. You absolutely cannot play him in a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 nor any set up with a back 3.

His best seasons with us and maybe our best seasons as a team were when he was partnered with Mulumbu in a 4-2-3-1. After Mulumbu left we either haven't played him or partnered him with the wrong type of central midfielder generally either someone who is most comfortable as being the most deep sitting midfielder or hasn't got the legs to cover the ground that Mulumbu did.

Last season we ended up with 5 players who are most comfortable being the most deep sitting midfielder and finished the season playing a 4-4-1-1 with Brunt in a strange quarter back role alongside Livermore. We have been saddled with Barry for this coming season still have Field Livermore and maybe Brunt to play in Central Midfield to my mind this still isn't right but Yacob doesn't make it better.

The World Cup is interesting because it gives us a snapshot of where football is tactically very few teams deployed an absolute screening player even Argentina didn't deploy Mascherano in that role and it is telling that the classic Argentine number 5 played nearly all his Barca career as a Centre Back.

Croatia's Brozovic on paper looks the closest but it is easy to overlook just how good he is on the ball given that he shares the midfield space with Rakitic and Modric. Other than that Eric Dier and well we just proved you don't play a screening midfielder with a back 3. William Carvalho for Portugal also springs to mind I seem to remember him as a much more dynamic player in the Euros of 2 years ago but was most definitely operating as a screening mid in this tournament. 

Unfortunately for Yacob maybe time is up on the screening midfielder. It will be interesting to see where he fetches up.

Great post, Stan. Especially the bold bit.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1269 on: July 15, 2018, 11:35:13 PM »
Stan has summed it up perfectly

If we're going to have Yacob we need the right players around him - we have not really had that since Clarke departed

Moore seemingly prefers a four man midfield - Yacob cannot play in that system. He is far too limited and not mobile enough to cover the pitch

He has been a good player, a good servant but players should not be retained out of sentiment.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1270 on: July 16, 2018, 01:13:46 PM »
He's 32, we can't complain about having an aging squad while also crying out that we've not offered an, already slow, 32 year old a new contract.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1271 on: July 17, 2018, 04:02:44 AM »
 :D The Yac was "magic" in the 4 part behind the scenes at Albion.

He was hilarious with his co-players and staff...taking the "mickey".He was a great bloke to have in the squad and will be sorely missed around the place.
Still think we should have given him another year and he would have done a job for us.

Best of luck Claudio....we will miss you. ;D

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1272 on: July 18, 2018, 01:30:23 AM »
I think the worst part is not being able to give him a proper send off or goodbye. Hopefully he comes back in a similar vein to Olson to get a proper appreciative send off

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1273 on: July 18, 2018, 09:10:05 AM »
I have been an advocate for Claudio for a considerable time and still believe he would have done a job for us in the Championship. Sadly that's not to be and I fully respect other's views about the rights or wrongs with that.
Personally I hope that come a cold, wet, windy night at Millwall or similar we're not thinking " I wish Claudio was here, he would have gripped this and kept us on track"
My other thoughts around him are that lots of people, pundits etc are raving about certain players who just seem to pass the ball about 10 yards, both backwards and sideways. Claudio has been under criticism for this (or it is highlighted as a 'deficiency') whereas in the World Cup there was loads of this sort of football and they are supposed to be at the top of the game. Sad that we couldn't find a way to fit him in. I also realise our limitations with playing staff make this difficult.

Good luck and best wishes Claudio. - I would hate to see you playing against us.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1274 on: July 18, 2018, 09:31:01 AM »
Happy Birthday Claudio
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties