Author Topic: Who really wants promotion?  (Read 20479 times)

Paulsammax

• WBA Newbie

Who really wants promotion?
« on: January 13, 2019, 08:52:34 PM »
Don't post on here much but just driving down the M40 listening to 606 it reminds me of how much I disliked being in the Premier league. Yes there were a few great days but we would start out each season hoping to reach 40 points. We lost more than we won and we ended up sacrificing entertainment for results - basically working towards being 17th. Mid table was a success and that was about it. This year we start every game with an expectation of winning - and more often than not we do. We score bucket fulls of goals in the process and there is proper entertainment again. Sadly we need to go up for the money and endure the misery of at least 1 season for the Sky money. What has the game become?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Who really wants promotion?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 08:57:39 PM »
Its a difficult one for me as on the one hand you want to see your club facing the best and beating them but on the other the way the Prem is going is not enjoyable. I've been losing interest over the past couple of years which I put down to the club just being happy to survive each year, its not down to the boring poor football as I along with many others have seen it before over the years, thats part and parcel, its the whole Premier League that bores me.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:02:19 PM »
I do.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 09:06:16 PM »
In an ideal world you'd win the Championship, get the Premier League money then stay where you are.

Sadly if we don't go up, seasons won't be as enjoyable as this year, we'll be stripped of assets and have the feeling you described except in the lower reaches of the 2nd tier. I don't want to go back to that. The 90s were s**t despite the rose tinted specs of nostalgia.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

walter baggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 09:13:21 PM »
£100 million reasons

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 09:33:25 PM »
£100 million reasons

Genuine question now. How much of this do you think would go back into the team?

It just seems as though over the past several years we've made hundreds of millions, but look at the sqaud we have. It's not like we offloaded dozens of top players when we got relegated.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 09:40:30 PM »
The simple answer to the thread title is Mr Lai ;D
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 09:47:40 PM »
Genuine question now. How much of this do you think would go back into the team?

It just seems as though over the past several years we've made hundreds of millions, but look at the sqaud we have. It's not like we offloaded dozens of top players when we got relegated.

It all goes on player wages.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 10:13:38 PM »
Really simple answer from me - Yes!

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 10:23:37 PM »
I've thoroughly enjoyed this season. Been going home and away for the first time for years. I genuinely can't answer the question.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 10:39:51 PM »
Hard one this. I ain't Albion losing and want to win every game, but I am enjoying this season far more than I did the last 3 in the greed league. So i would prefer to stay down, but that means losing a few games. I'm more confused now than when I started to answer this question!!

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 10:52:50 PM »
Every season we fail to get promoted, the following season will get worse, it's not going to be like this every season. Look at our squad age and reliance upon loanees, it's imperative that we get promoted this season.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 11:12:44 PM »
Yes and no. I would like us to do well but the prize is going back into the bottom 14 of the Premier League and well that is not fun.

The money is totally irrelevent to me. I get to watch better paid footballers but in terms of competition there is no point in the mismatch between the top 6 and the rest.

The only footballing benefit we have as fans is that our squad would be stronger than none Premier League teams in the Cups. That gives us an opportunity of a final but realistically when you look at the line up for the League cup semi's with Chelsea Spurs Man City and in this case Burton. Most Premier League teams would have not much more of a chance of getting past two top 6 sides to actually win the cup than Burton did particularly when the semi's are over two legs.

Above all else if we are promoted there is no point trying to hang onto Premier League status by playing the utter sh*t football peddled by Pulis and the like (looking at you too Benetiz) it is so utterly joyless I would rather lose every single game and be relegated with a minus 100 goal difference than do that.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 11:17:20 PM »
Absolutely want us to go back.

It may not be as entertaining for us as fans but it's better for the club long term. As someone else mentioned the dark days of the  early 90's were absolutely awful.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 12:14:34 AM »
yes, but only if the club wants more than just survival and the money.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 12:23:59 AM »
I'd love to celebrate another promotion. If we were later relegated following a miserable season of defeats I'd then look forward to celebrating promotion and the feel good factor of victories again at some later date.

Get up and let the rest take care of itself or stay down and watch us become gradually less competitive as our finances gradually dry up? Or put another way enjoy myself as we win and actually get something for my gate money or stare nervously into my navel at the thought of losing games the following season?

Of course I want us to get promoted. The most excellent of celebratory urine ups bring additional joy to life and may play some part in my thinking, but it's absolutely a yes from me.

COYB  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 01:16:48 AM »
Promotion? ....... absolutely a Big yes

to me, it not so bad in the Premier League as long as the attitude is right..

OK park the bus against the super rich... just to irritate them

BUT play to win against other 13 :)
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 01:23:08 AM »
 ;D I am happy in Chumps...but as mentioned 100 mill to go up,would be nice....but will the club see this or Mr Lai ???? >:(

Realistically he would take a big "chunk" of this money...and if we didn't strengthen the team "substantially" we would come straight back down with "parachute" payments,as Jeremy Peace,would have used, and did so, as we Yo-Yode up and down. Not a bad way to make money.

After watching the Sunderland documentary series...not sure if the Owners give a "toss" about fans,players,history and people connected to the club....a pretty ruthless industry.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:42:27 AM by chipperclark »

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 03:43:17 AM »
trouble is that you cant stay in the 'sweet spot ' we are in now - if you dont bounce back after 1 season (2 max) you lose all your good players and you lose the money needed to find more - so you end up as a team that doesnt expect to win their games in the championship and doesnt score that many goals

And equally, as noted, if we go up, what does the prem offer us ?

There is a structural problem with English football (and the other main european leagues) - and the solution is the big 6 move to a european super league and leave us proper clubs to resurrect proper football.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 04:13:19 AM »
Look at our squad age and reliance upon loanees
And how well is that going to work out in the prem?
Might be an idea to ask a few Huddersfield supports how they are enjoying their season in the prem?
Took my own advice http://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/111367/epitaph-rip
This one is called Epitaph-RIP and has comments like "Huddersfield Town.. we came, we saw, we tried" and "we didn't come to make up the numbers because if we had we would have made better ones than these" 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:28:10 AM by BigFrank20 »
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 04:17:28 AM »
There is a structural problem with English football (and the other main european leagues) - and the solution is the big 6 move to a european super league and leave us proper clubs to resurrect proper football.

I'd vote for this option in any peoples vote  :)
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 04:22:01 AM »
The best of all worlds is to be a yo-yo club again, but only if we give it a real go when we get up, rather than being paralysed by a fear of losing, because being relegated with a decent squad and with parachute money actually isn’t so bad, as we are seeing now.

We used to be viewed as a model medium sized club in the Premier League, as were Charlton before us.  I guess Southampton, and now Watford and Bournemouth, have that title now, possibly Burnley as well.

But for probably 11 or 12 of the 14 “other” clubs in the PL (Everton, West Ham and arguably Leicester) there is negligible chance of getting into Europe and, as Burnley showed (and Stoke before them), qualifying for Europe is actually a poisoned chalice as it increases the chances of relegation. So it’s all about survival, playing low-risk football, and hoping to scrape 40 points. That’s as good as it gets, which is what I said 2 seasons ago when we nearly got into Europe.

Yes, a return to the yo-yo years would be fine with me. Survive one or two seasons in that PL but run a sensible budget.   Little point in gambling recklessly just to finish 7th or 8th as that’s quickly unsustainable if there’s a downturn.

People talk about losing £100m. But think about it.  That money goes on transfer fees, on wages and in transfer fees.  If there’s anything left over, the owner might make some money. The money makes no difference to the fans. We get to see the so-called big 6 in the flesh but so what - it’s vastly overrated especially when our goal is to scrape a 0-0 or try to keep the scoreline respectable.

We had 5 great months under Steve Clarke, a similar period under Roy Hodgson and another 4 great months under Pulis.  The rest of our time in the PL was pretty dire and unenjoyable.

A league made up of the other 14 plus 6 from the Championship would be a fantastic league and would still be one of the top 4 of 5 watched leagues in the world. I can’t wait for the big 6 to sod off to join their peers in a Super League.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 04:31:20 AM »
I really like the championship its competitive and tight and for the most part it's good traditional clubs in there. I couldn't Stand seeing groups of people take their phones out and start recording the likes of pogba and aguero line up a free kick at our goal to show to their mates in the pubs or in school. That said I don't want to just sit in this league for years stagnating like Forest and Leeds have. It's a very good question but a tough one to answer.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 08:30:46 AM »
In an ideal world you'd win the Championship, get the Premier League money then stay where you are.

Sadly if we don't go up, seasons won't be as enjoyable as this year, we'll be stripped of assets and have the feeling you described except in the lower reaches of the 2nd tier. I don't want to go back to that. The 90s were s**t despite the rose tinted specs of nostalgia.

Agreed. We saw some awful football during the 90's. I look back on the time fondly, but that is with those rose tinted specs of nostalgia, living it at the time was pretty unbearable.

We have to get promoted this season, even if just to get the money, our squad won't be this good next season were we to not get promoted.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »
The best of all worlds is to be a yo-yo club again, but only if we give it a real go when we get up, rather than being paralysed by a fear of losing, because being relegated with a decent squad and with parachute money actually isn’t so bad, as we are seeing now.

We used to be viewed as a model medium sized club in the Premier League, as were Charlton before us.  I guess Southampton, and now Watford and Bournemouth, have that title now, possibly Burnley as well.

But for probably 11 or 12 of the 14 “other” clubs in the PL (Everton, West Ham and arguably Leicester) there is negligible chance of getting into Europe and, as Burnley showed (and Stoke before them), qualifying for Europe is actually a poisoned chalice as it increases the chances of relegation. So it’s all about survival, playing low-risk football, and hoping to scrape 40 points. That’s as good as it gets, which is what I said 2 seasons ago when we nearly got into Europe.

Yes, a return to the yo-yo years would be fine with me. Survive one or two seasons in that PL but run a sensible budget.   Little point in gambling recklessly just to finish 7th or 8th as that’s quickly unsustainable if there’s a downturn.

People talk about losing £100m. But think about it.  That money goes on transfer fees, on wages and in transfer fees.  If there’s anything left over, the owner might make some money. The money makes no difference to the fans. We get to see the so-called big 6 in the flesh but so what - it’s vastly overrated especially when our goal is to scrape a 0-0 or try to keep the scoreline respectable.

We had 5 great months under Steve Clarke, a similar period under Roy Hodgson and another 4 great months under Pulis.  The rest of our time in the PL was pretty dire and unenjoyable.

A league made up of the other 14 plus 6 from the Championship would be a fantastic league and would still be one of the top 4 of 5 watched leagues in the world. I can’t wait for the big 6 to sod off to join their peers in a Super League.

Yo-Yoing is the best for the fans (as long as during the prem years we go for it of course), Promotion and survival football is the best for the club.

Its hard to see how this difference in expectations is resolved.

I agree that the leagues need restructuring to
a) take out the biggest clubs (Euro-league? This would unfortunately take all the cash with it though)
b) re-introduce a competitive second team league
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!