Author Topic: Seals watch - Anything Villa  (Read 2260263 times)

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Seals watch - Anything Villa
« Reply #8850 on: August 08, 2020, 11:54:42 AM »
Sadly the last few seasons Villa have had a lot of luck go their way and i think avoiding the drop as they did will be the springboard for them to kick on.

A couple of years ago they were on the verge of being on their knees and having to sell Grealish, then at the last minute they were bailed out by a couple of billionaires.

When they went up they went on a freak run of form which only happens once every 100 years and got in the playoffs and went up, they had the momentum, thats what the play offs is all about.

Last season, the goal that never was played a big part in keeping them up, yes they may of been unlucky with some decisions in other parts of the season, yes had that goal gone in it may of changed how they approached the game, but the fact remains that i think for the first time in its history in this country, goal line technology failed and the only team that benefitted were Villa.

If they were to of gone down they would of been in a right mess and having to sell players, however they survived and they seem to of learnt there lesson.

Their owners are not billionaires by luck, they are astute business people who are top of their game and learn from their mistakes, they dont seem reckless either, they have Bruce a chance when they took over and they stuck with Smith last season when the locals had started to turn in numbers.

They have now got what seems a good recruitment team in place, got experience in with the coaching (whether Smith sees the season to benefit we will see) but i expect them to make some steady signings and build and move up the table, in the years to come they certainly have the owners with big pockets who can break into the top 6 but thats a long way down the line, i imagine their aim will be top 8 over the next few seasons with a couple of good cup runs and then reassess.

The time for them to be in the **** has now been and gone i think.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 12:23:57 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8851 on: August 08, 2020, 12:07:48 PM »
Disappointing seeing Shakespeare heading for Villa Park. I know he comes from the Birmingham area, but he has an Albion pedigree. I wonder if Billic considered him for some role.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8852 on: August 08, 2020, 12:52:24 PM »
Boyhood Viler apparently. He's good mates with a former colleague of mine. Met him once, seemed ok I suppose. Bloke's completely dead to my eyes now he's signed as a fully paid up member of the Seal Sanctuary. I absolutely despise that club. And as mentioned earlier, Lange is very good at what he does. Sadly.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8853 on: August 08, 2020, 01:17:08 PM »
Shakespeare has aid at various points he supports Albion or Villa. But odd but apart from that I like the guy

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8854 on: August 08, 2020, 01:23:01 PM »
I don't care who it is, any grown man who can't make his mind up over who they support isn't to be trusted. On any level. I wonder how long it'll be before Smith's out and Pearson rocks up.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8855 on: August 08, 2020, 01:25:09 PM »
Hope they don't get Pearson. He would get them secure and on the right path.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8856 on: August 08, 2020, 01:26:52 PM »
https://www.watfordfc.com/magazine/features/my-best-craig-shakespeare

Yes, he confirms he was a Villa fan in his youth, so I'd be more harsh on someone who so-to-speak, 'changed sides'.
I can also see that he probably has a wife and kids to feed, and can't be too choosy about waiting for the right club to come along with an offer.  Its just I thought he had more of an Albion background. Indeed I remember he was in the team when I first started watching them.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8857 on: August 08, 2020, 01:30:08 PM »
https://www.watfordfc.com/magazine/features/my-best-craig-shakespeare

Yes, he confirms he was a Villa fan in his youth, so I'd be more harsh on someone who so-to-speak, 'changed sides'.
I can also see that he probably has a wife and kids to feed, and can't be too choosy about waiting for the right club to come along with an offer.  Its just I thought he had more of an Albion backround. Indeed I remember he was in the team when I first started watching them.

He's not exactly skint. Even if he is, now he's signed for the Seals there'll be a few buckets of fish to be had. Viler.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8858 on: August 08, 2020, 11:04:05 PM »
im not so sure, Copenhagen are a large team in their league to attract talent while also being small enough to have a good market to sell for profits and to act in a positive loop. Villa are basically the opposite, too small to collect the best players and in too big a league to get cheap players and sell for profit consistently.

I think this will require a different set of skills than Lange’s used to.

Sound logic and I hope you are proved right, but they have basically hired the most respected tech director outside the “big leagues”. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a bloke like that translate his strengths with even more money to spend.
Boing Boing

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8859 on: August 08, 2020, 11:15:45 PM »
Shakespeare isn’t a good appointment to add to the staff but it does question the future of Terry.

That makes Shakespeare, Terry and o’Kelly all assistants, not to mention Cutler being there aswell who has a bit involvement.

Too many chefs?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8860 on: August 09, 2020, 12:43:35 AM »
Shakespeare isn’t a good appointment to add to the staff but it does question the future of Terry.

That makes Shakespeare, Terry and o’Kelly all assistants, not to mention Cutler being there aswell who has a bit involvement.

Too many chefs?

Terry on the move?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8861 on: August 09, 2020, 10:58:56 AM »

Too many chefs?

I'd say it's more likely that Smith wants more of "his men" around him. From what I remember, Smith didn't bring Terry in - the club did. Smith just inherited him.

Shakespeare however will be a friend of Smith's who has a lot of experience, starting with us years ago.

I like Shakey, shame he has ended up there.
Boing Boing

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8862 on: August 09, 2020, 11:25:53 AM »
I'd say it's more likely that Smith wants more of "his men" around him. From what I remember, Smith didn't bring Terry in - the club did. Smith just inherited him....

John Terry signed a contract extension during Smith's tenure, he seemed pretty chipper about working with him at the time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.avfc.co.uk/News/2019/06/19/john-terry-signs-new-contract%3fview=amp

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8863 on: August 12, 2020, 05:10:55 PM »
"Jack Grealish is set to hold crunch talks with the Aston Villa hierarchy.

The midfielder will seek wages in the region of £200k-a-week, either at a new club or if he signs a new contract to remain at Villa."

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8864 on: August 12, 2020, 08:28:12 PM »

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8865 on: August 12, 2020, 08:31:08 PM »
Terry on the move?

Terry might have said he’ll be looking for a leading role this season, so yeah could be some succession planning

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8866 on: August 13, 2020, 08:51:44 AM »
Supposed to be closing in on Milot Rashica for around £20m-£30m from Werder Bremen. RB Leipzig were in talks to sign him as Timo Werner’s replacement which is always an ominous sign. Wolves and Monaco were also looking. Werder seem to have confirmed that a transfer somewhere is very close.
Boing Boing

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8867 on: August 13, 2020, 08:54:33 AM »
Terry on the move?

Just seen this, who has left their wife at home???
MAGA!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8868 on: September 04, 2020, 02:01:28 PM »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8869 on: September 04, 2020, 02:05:21 PM »
https://www.villatalk.com/topic/7662-west-bromwich-albion/?do=getNewComment.

have yourselves a laugh

I like the quote about us "riding the crest of a wave", when they've been "riding the crest of a slump" for decades  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8870 on: September 04, 2020, 02:07:42 PM »
well thats bookmarked for later in the season, should be a plentiful supply of useful baiting material in there, thank you !

Oh, I do hope Greasy ups and goes
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8871 on: September 04, 2020, 02:30:38 PM »
God I hope they go down ! Luckily i don't have to put up with them , apart from the odd one i meet on holiday and they get short sharp ,same as any dog eads

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8872 on: September 04, 2020, 03:25:18 PM »
I have had roofers in the last 3 days and one is a Viler (from Norwich  :-X) I thought I was being clever making him drink out of a baggies mug, until I realised i now have to get it steralised or smash it. The missus is complaining it smells of sardines  >:(  Dirty f3ck3rs
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8873 on: September 04, 2020, 03:29:44 PM »
I have had roofers in the last 3 days and one is a Viler (from Norwich  :-X) I thought I was being clever making him drink out of a baggies mug, until I realised i now have to get it steralised or smash it. The missus is complaining it smells of sardines  >:(  Dirty f3ck3rs

Love it. ;D
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8874 on: September 04, 2020, 03:32:32 PM »
are they signing Callum Wilson
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties