Author Topic: Karlan Grant  (Read 290356 times)

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Karlan Grant
« Reply #775 on: October 15, 2020, 02:47:00 PM »
I wonder if we will get him signed up by midday tomorrow, else he cannot play against Burnley.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #776 on: October 15, 2020, 02:57:24 PM »
I wonder if we will get him signed up by midday tomorrow, else he cannot play against Burnley.
He hasn't had a preseason or played as yet this season. My guess is that we won't see him in the first team for a few weeks regardless of when he signs.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #777 on: October 15, 2020, 03:00:48 PM »
I agree but unless we tighten up at the back then we aren't going to win many games. We conceded far too many last season with the same personnel. Our hopes rest on Ivanovic but there is only so much he can do.

We are desperate for a new striker as none of the ones we have are capable of playing at this level IMO. I'm thinking of overall play and not just necessarily goals scored. I'd take Deeney for example who doesn't score many but would benefit others playing around him. If as expected we do go down it won't be through lack of goals scored.

I think we are both sort of saying the same thing. We need to tighten up at the back (going to a back 4 would help this along with a 3 man midfield) and we need a striker.

Just because we scored loads in the EFl doesn't mean we will in the EPL though. Teams tend to score 50% or so less goals in the EPL than they did in the Championship.

I just hope the goals continue to be spread about the team with Grant contributing about 10 or so.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #778 on: October 15, 2020, 03:09:47 PM »
I think we are both sort of saying the same thing. We need to tighten up at the back (going to a back 4 would help this along with a 3 man midfield) and we need a striker.

Just because we scored loads in the EFl doesn't mean we will in the EPL though. Teams tend to score 50% or so less goals in the EPL than they did in the Championship.

I just hope the goals continue to be spread about the team with Grant contributing about 10 or so.

That's quite concerning actually. We scored 77 last season so that equates to 38.5 goals by that logic. That said 4 teams survived with 39 goals and under last season.

Back to Grant I think there is going to be enormous pressure on him to deliver. A little unfair considering his lack of experience at this level which is why I hope we can bring in someone alongside of him.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #779 on: October 15, 2020, 03:37:31 PM »
That's quite concerning actually. We scored 77 last season so that equates to 38.5 goals by that logic. That said 4 teams survived with 39 goals and under last season.

Back to Grant I think there is going to be enormous pressure on him to deliver. A little unfair considering his lack of experience at this level which is why I hope we can bring in someone alongside of him.

I'm not sure there will be massive pressure on him to deliver this year.  I think that there is a general acceptance that a) he is not the missing piece to the jigsaw, there are many areas of weakness within the squad that signing Grant does not effect and b) this is a long term investment as he is still only 23 and has only 150 appearances and 40 + goals behind him.    His price is a reflection on where the market is, rather than him being a guarantee of goals in this league.   He has just been the best option available within our budget (or lack of it, which is why it's taken so long to get over the line).

I'm sure that the club would like to bring another in but i just can't see it whilst we still have CA, HRK and KZ on the payroll.   Not financially viable.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 03:40:41 PM by Oldbury24 »

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #780 on: October 15, 2020, 03:43:43 PM »
He hasn't had a preseason or played as yet this season. My guess is that we won't see him in the first team for a few weeks regardless of when he signs.

Always find this bizarre. In this day and age you should be able to keep fit on your own as a professional athlete. With nothing but a Fitbit I can go an train in certain heart rate zones and intensities. Nevermind with £20k per week and the facilities of a professional football club.  If he hasn’t, that’s an issue with professionalism that’s not acceptable. This is why Gallagher total omission from the last game was bizarre because it surely wasn’t Fitness related.

Match sharpness might be missing but he certainly should be able to come here and play a part straight away, 

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #781 on: October 15, 2020, 03:58:51 PM »
I think he been keeping fit, training everyday or something but being razor sharp match fit is a different matter. I would expect him to play some part.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #782 on: October 15, 2020, 04:00:24 PM »
Always find this bizarre. In this day and age you should be able to keep fit on your own as a professional athlete. With nothing but a Fitbit I can go an train in certain heart rate zones and intensities. Nevermind with £20k per week and the facilities of a professional football club.  If he hasn’t, that’s an issue with professionalism that’s not acceptable. This is why Gallagher total omission from the last game was bizarre because it surely wasn’t Fitness related.

Match sharpness might be missing but he certainly should be able to come here and play a part straight away,

Totally agree. How old is he? 22, 23? He should be sent out straight away and told to make his mark and set out his intentions! The Burnley game is already a six-pointer for goodness sake!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #783 on: October 15, 2020, 04:02:31 PM »
Regards cost if he gets half as many goals as Watkins, plus 1 goal, the fee is about right in the market.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #784 on: October 15, 2020, 04:03:30 PM »
Assuming that Robinson is unavailable, if Grant doesn't play at all then Austin and/or Zohore will have to play. Austin's appearances so far have amounted to 73 minutes v Harrogate and 4 minutes v Brentford. Zohore hasn't played at all yet, having supposedly been injured since pre-season. On that basis, we won't have much choice but to play Grant.

Apparently the Daily Mail is reporting that Zohore's potential move to Sheff Wed is now "dead in the water", so we can only hope that the Grant signing isn't dependent on Zohore and/or Austin leaving....

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #785 on: October 15, 2020, 05:15:18 PM »
Think I’d rather see Grosicki in the middle rather than Austin or Zohore.
I used to own an Austin 1100 a long time ago and that was also very slow!
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #786 on: October 15, 2020, 06:53:14 PM »
Any sign of the scarf being held aloft yet?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #787 on: October 15, 2020, 06:57:32 PM »
Any sign of the scarf being held aloft yet?
Nah, medical been going on all day apparently

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #788 on: October 15, 2020, 07:09:21 PM »
Nah, medical been going on all day apparently

Wasn't Diangana announced around 8pm?

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #789 on: October 15, 2020, 07:11:24 PM »
Can’t get to see a doctor in these Covid days. Don’t expect the medical to be completed before the end of the month. Oh dear, that would miss the transfer deadline; never mind saves Lai a bit of cash!

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #790 on: October 15, 2020, 07:22:47 PM »

When we took on Odemwinge he went straight in I believe.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #791 on: October 15, 2020, 07:35:08 PM »
 Deal being reported on SSN so I think that there is a faint chance we could be signing him....
MAGA!

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #792 on: October 15, 2020, 08:41:42 PM »
By the time it is sorted he will be a tad elderly and his legs will have gone. Right up our street ..... :P
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #793 on: October 15, 2020, 09:09:43 PM »
There's probably some media influence on this, Benrahma to West Ham and hopefully Grant to us is enough for Sky to anchor their transfer deadline day 2 coverage around.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bakeyaface

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #794 on: October 15, 2020, 09:09:53 PM »
As per previous posts I have it on the reliable Grant will be announced shortly, Officially by club at 9.15pm

AbbeymeadBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #795 on: October 15, 2020, 09:17:46 PM »
COYB

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #796 on: October 15, 2020, 09:18:13 PM »
Done Deal
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #797 on: October 15, 2020, 09:18:43 PM »

Bakeyaface

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #798 on: October 15, 2020, 09:19:04 PM »
Told you ha

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #799 on: October 15, 2020, 09:20:14 PM »
Now go get  a decent amount of kip you going to have to work yeah nuts off Monday !! Good evening and welcome Karlan  ;D ;D
Baggie for life not just for Xmas