Author Topic: Karlan Grant  (Read 287534 times)

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Karlan Grant
« Reply #750 on: October 14, 2020, 11:49:18 PM »
Is Peltier in the nominal 25 ATM?

I did a quick calculation and had 25 over 21's before Grant but including Peltier so either I've miscalculated (probably) or someone needs to drop out to accommodate Grant (Peltier maybe) and then it's a one out, one in for any loans.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #751 on: October 14, 2020, 11:55:15 PM »
Gallagher, O'Shea and Harper don't count toward the 25 man squad although with addition of Grant we are at 29 so we are one over the 25. To get an additional signing either as a loan or a free agent we would need to unload two or have players that we are paying but we can't play in the Premier League.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #752 on: October 15, 2020, 01:37:04 AM »
If we could find and sign 2 loaners, who drops out of the 25 man squad?

Kipre and Edwards?

Only 1 loan available.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #753 on: October 15, 2020, 03:50:11 AM »
I'm glad we finally have our man, by the looks of it anyway. I can't see him transforming us into a functional premier league side, but he does give us more chance of scoring a fair few and having a go.

I don't love the reports that he left Charlton and now Huddersfield under a bit of a cloud and I think he is more of a wide forward than a centre forward, but atleast if he scores goals we can make a potential profit on him in a few years.
Boing Boing

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #754 on: October 15, 2020, 08:01:57 AM »
I'm glad we finally have our man, by the looks of it anyway. I can't see him transforming us into a functional premier league side, but he does give us more chance of scoring a fair few and having a go.

I don't love the reports that he left Charlton and now Huddersfield under a bit of a cloud and I think he is more of a wide forward than a centre forward, but atleast if he scores goals we can make a potential profit on him in a few years.

Left under a cloud?

Think you are being unfair. He appears to have been the model professional. Huddersfield fans are sorry he is going, which is a good sign.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #755 on: October 15, 2020, 08:58:18 AM »
Gallagher, O'Shea and Harper don't count toward the 25 man squad although with addition of Grant we are at 29 so we are one over the 25. To get an additional signing either as a loan or a free agent we would need to unload two or have players that we are paying but we can't play in the Premier League.

Zohore will be out

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #756 on: October 15, 2020, 09:03:57 AM »
I got duped  >:(

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #757 on: October 15, 2020, 09:16:18 AM »
I got duped  >:(

Had to check it wasnt April 1st...... ;)
MAGA!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #758 on: October 15, 2020, 09:17:30 AM »
Had to check it wasnt April 1st...... ;)

what have i missed?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #759 on: October 15, 2020, 09:32:34 AM »
what have i missed?

Post now removed but gazberg saw a post saying the Grant had failed his medical - probably our six fingered witton friends having a jape.....
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 09:41:16 AM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #760 on: October 15, 2020, 09:45:00 AM »
Post now removed but gazberg saw a post saying the Grant had failed his medical - probably our six fingered witton friends having a jape.....

phew, good job I didn't see that, my current rosy disposition would have evaporated very quick smartish!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #761 on: October 15, 2020, 09:45:35 AM »
Some guy ripped off JPercy on Twitter and said Grant failed his medical. Was literally the first thing I saw when i woke up and opened phone Twitter was already open. False alarm thankfully  ;D

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #762 on: October 15, 2020, 09:52:22 AM »
Some guy ripped off JPercy on Twitter and said Grant failed his medical. Was literally the first thing I saw when i woke up and opened phone Twitter was already open. False alarm thankfully  ;D

Haha, oh man, just imagine.

Few people inferring that it being permanent may mean we sign someone else with our loan - well it wouldn't be the first time we haven't used both our loans sadly.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #763 on: October 15, 2020, 10:21:50 AM »
Left under a cloud?

Think you are being unfair. He appears to have been the model professional. Huddersfield fans are sorry he is going, which is a good sign.

If (when?) we go down at the end of the season he's sure to agitate for a move.  Always thought we should try for someone overseas or better still spend the £15M on a defensive midfielder and a left back.  Instead we seem to have acquired a converted winger.  Not convinced.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #764 on: October 15, 2020, 11:28:45 AM »
If (when?) we go down at the end of the season he's sure to agitate for a move.  Always thought we should try for someone overseas or better still spend the £15M on a defensive midfielder and a left back.  Instead we seem to have acquired a converted winger.  Not convinced.

so in a team crying out for goals you'd have spent the money on a left back and defensive midfielder?

Odemwingie was a converted winger too. (not comparing them, just saying)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #765 on: October 15, 2020, 11:37:03 AM »
I’d take a converted winger who scored 19 goals in a poor championship side all day long. He scored more than any of our strikers did last season.

Slav wants him and that is good enough for me

convinced
MAGA!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #766 on: October 15, 2020, 11:49:40 AM »
I’d take a converted winger who scored 19 goals in a poor championship side all day long. He scored more than any of our strikers did last season.

Slav wants him and that is good enough for me

convinced

He scored the same as Austin and Kanu combined I believe.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #767 on: October 15, 2020, 12:10:27 PM »
This about him being a wide man that likes to cut in rather than a more traditional CF in the modern game is irrelevant. After all Odemwingie ,Henry would have been in the same group as would Martial, Van Persie and possibly Rashford , would we mind any of them ?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #768 on: October 15, 2020, 12:24:37 PM »
He scored the same as Austin and Kanu combined I believe.

He did indeed Jacko, two striker who were both worse than a converted winger.....And they were in a far better team (no disrespect to Huddersfield meant)
MAGA!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #769 on: October 15, 2020, 12:45:16 PM »
Harper and Austin or HRK i'd imagine.

Wishful thinking on HRK.....

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #770 on: October 15, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »
so in a team crying out for goals you'd have spent the money on a left back and defensive midfielder?

Odemwingie was a converted winger too. (not comparing them, just saying)

We desperately need a striker but we are hardly crying out for goals. Our main problems are further back especially in goal IMO.

Incidentally we are currently on 1.25 goals per game. This is better than 11 other sides managed in the Prem last season.

Goals against however is 3.25 per game. Norwich had the worst record last season at just I under 2!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #771 on: October 15, 2020, 01:32:00 PM »
We desperately need a striker but we are hardly crying out for goals. Our main problems are further back especially in goal IMO.

Incidentally we are currently on 1.25 goals per game. This is better than 11 other sides managed in the Prem last season.

Goals against however is 3.25 per game. Norwich had the worst record last season at just I under 2!

If we are going to stay up, it won't be because we shut up shop and concede less than one a game. Our best players are attackers, and we will have to outscore the teams around us in what is becoming a smaller and smaller mini league at the bottom.  I also genuinely think we would have been promoted before lock down if we'd had a genuine goal scorer in the team (CA came two years to late) who could have nicked a few to turn the draws into wins.   Grant is a proven striker in the Championship and if we go down with him in the team it gives us a real advantage in coming back up again.   If he does score some goals but our defense sends us down we can make some serious bunce on him and re-invest.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #772 on: October 15, 2020, 01:40:51 PM »

It's a tad too soon to be quoting scoring percentages and especially when you compare ours over 4 games (2 in which we haven't scored) against 11 other sides after a full season.

I'm not sure why you would say we desperately need a striker yet that we are not crying out for goals? I'd have thought the two things are linked surely?

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #773 on: October 15, 2020, 02:05:03 PM »
It's a tad too soon to be quoting scoring percentages and especially when you compare ours over 4 games (2 in which we haven't scored) against 11 other sides after a full season.

I'm not sure why you would say we desperately need a striker yet that we are not crying out for goals? I'd have thought the two things are linked surely?

Last season we scored goals throughout the team when things were purring along, and got a few specials from Grady and Perreira but we didn't have a goalscorer to nick a few wins when things went a bit stale or we struggled.  Not saying that Grant will be that player but it was something we missed. 

It's also that football fans simply love a goalscorer! How much fun was it to watch Dwight Gayle play? and how much did we hope he might come back? We need a striker for the morale within the club as well as for what he will offer on the pitch, going into the season with HRK and Austin as first change would be pretty sad as we know they are so far off the quality required/past their best days.   Lets hope we get this done as it will really lift the club before he even plays. 

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #774 on: October 15, 2020, 02:42:49 PM »

I agree but unless we tighten up at the back then we aren't going to win many games. We conceded far too many last season with the same personnel. Our hopes rest on Ivanovic but there is only so much he can do.

We are desperate for a new striker as none of the ones we have are capable of playing at this level IMO. I'm thinking of overall play and not just necessarily goals scored. I'd take Deeney for example who doesn't score many but would benefit others playing around him. If as expected we do go down it won't be through lack of goals scored.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club