Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 408993 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #700 on: October 23, 2016, 09:15:52 PM »
To date  I'm not overly impressed maybe under a more progressive coach he would flourish but right now I'd prefer to see Leko given his place in the starting XI
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #701 on: October 23, 2016, 10:59:31 PM »
With Phillips the jury is still out for me. He reminds me of McClean last season, albeit for more money. For every bit of quality he can equally look poor, and for every good game he can look bad.
For instance, against Palace, West Ham and Spurs I was impressed. Then against Everton and Liverpool he's looked pretty poor, but then again they do say wingers are inconsistent.

As it stands I will judge him more so at Christmas when he's played a few more games, so far it's been hit and miss.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #702 on: October 24, 2016, 10:39:14 AM »
Thought I'd revisit this.

I'd still like to know why we chased this bloke so long, and what he's adding to the side. Couldn't beat an egg and delivery is poor. Defensively tracking back doesn't add much and leaves Dawson (also poor) exposed.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #703 on: October 24, 2016, 11:43:05 AM »
So far he's looked like a less hard working version of James Mcclean. Hopefully he can turn it around but have been very underwhelmed so far.

Would like to see Leko given a couple of starts if there is no improvement in the next 3/4 games.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #704 on: October 24, 2016, 09:22:30 PM »
All a bit gutting really when you arguably have a more talented player in Mcmanaman sitting on the bench.  The supporters are the ones cheated.  I don't really agree with freezing out players.  The art of management is managing different personalities.  This is what SAF was so good at.  With Pulis this is not an isolated case.

Talented football players win you matches.  I wonder if he's thinking of resigning Dean Whitehead and Glenn Whelan?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #705 on: October 24, 2016, 09:35:54 PM »
Phillips needs to keep his belief and needs something to break for him. It might have been Delhi Dynamos but interesting that the young lad Smith was on the end of his cross ....he has put in some decent balls in the prem but we don't get people in the box.
He needs to show more determination and confidence than he's shown in the last two games though. Certainly doesn't deserve to become a whipping boy on what we've seen so far and hope he gets that confidence booster soon.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #706 on: October 24, 2016, 09:37:35 PM »
Cannot say I have seen him do anything out of the ordinary really. Gets mugged easily and there are not too many crosses. I don't get excited about him at all, like I did when Leko started to come on last year. There was an element of unpredictability about Leko and I loved that.........
MAGA!

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #707 on: November 06, 2016, 10:05:47 PM »
Thought he was immense today. Probably his best performance for us so far. Totally left Morgan in the race before scoring too. Looked as though he enjoyed the goal and ran straight over to the fans

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #708 on: November 06, 2016, 10:24:46 PM »
Yes he had a very good game and certainly showed the benefit of having several players with a bit of pace in the squad.....Chadli and McLean were out but we could bring Phillips back in and Leko on the bench if needed. There was a pretty good balance about the side today.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #709 on: November 07, 2016, 12:09:56 AM »
Today was his best performance by a mile both him and the team needed it.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #710 on: November 07, 2016, 07:31:50 AM »
A different player to the one we have been seeing - really good yesterday and rightfully MOTM.
MAGA!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #711 on: November 07, 2016, 08:07:21 AM »
His best game for us, also the first time we have seen him further up the field.

Good performance, good assist and great finish.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #712 on: November 07, 2016, 09:23:19 AM »
I think he has 3 assists now, not too bad. Out of interest, how many did Sess get last season?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #713 on: November 07, 2016, 09:27:41 AM »
Today was his best performance by a mile both him and the team needed it.

I agree, lets hope its his kickstart
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #714 on: November 07, 2016, 10:00:52 AM »
I've been his biggest critic, but credit where its due, he was very good yesterday
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #715 on: November 07, 2016, 10:10:20 AM »
That is the kind of performance we have been waiting for since he arrived, he looks like he has all the attributes needed he just needs to get near to that level consistently.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #716 on: November 07, 2016, 10:17:59 AM »
Interesting to hear Pulis say how it's a belief thing and that he's telling Phillips that he's a good player and has got everything he needs. 

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #717 on: November 07, 2016, 10:21:52 AM »
like most wingers you need to keep them in the game by giving them the ball, we fed him constantly yesterday and looked a different player, almost scored within 10 mins but for a good save, supplied the cross for our opener and got the winner. he looked like the player who impressed when at blackpool. lets hope he kicks on.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #718 on: November 07, 2016, 04:56:15 PM »
Interesting to hear Pulis say how it's a belief thing and that he's telling Phillips that he's a good player and has got everything he needs.
I can quite believe TP's comments. By all accounts he is a quiet lad, not brimming in self belief. Probably one of those players who needs an arm round the shoulder and plenty of praise to get the best out of him, which TP seems to have sussed.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #719 on: November 08, 2016, 07:02:58 PM »
Felt that he grew into the game because of his lively start to it which helped his confidence. He was constantly asking for the ball and putting his hand up for it which I've not noticed a lot before, so hopefully he keeps that confidence for the next game

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #720 on: November 08, 2016, 07:18:10 PM »
I thought he did pretty well against West Ham and Sunderland but then seemed off the pace/ didn't figure much in the Spurs + Liverpool games....obviously totally different style games anyway. He needed something to happen and hopefully he can kick on a bit from this.

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #721 on: November 21, 2016, 09:55:06 PM »
Another good performance from Phillips. Has a couple more weeks to prove he should be a clear starter on the team.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #722 on: November 21, 2016, 11:58:58 PM »
Has played himself into abit of form. Looks better coming in off the left
O Albion we love you

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #723 on: November 22, 2016, 12:22:27 AM »
Goal and assist to add to the same at Leicester. Already a better output than Sessegnon who he has replaced managed.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #724 on: November 22, 2016, 06:38:23 AM »
Starting to look like the player we hoped we had bought.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'