Author Topic: Who really wants promotion?  (Read 20430 times)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Who really wants promotion?
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 09:55:59 AM »
Yo-Yoing is the best for the fans (as long as during the prem years we go for it of course), Promotion and survival football is the best for the club.

Its hard to see how this difference in expectations is resolved.

I agree that the leagues need restructuring to
a) take out the biggest clubs (Euro-league? This would unfortunately take all the cash with it though)
b) re-introduce a competitive second team league

This is exactly the problem I have in answering the original question. Do I really want to watch us make up the numbers in the premier league? While it's great when we beat some of the top 6 sides, we usually have nothing to play for come April as we are mid table and safe with no chance of breaking into the Top 7.

Perhaps extending the Europa League to have sides that finish 5-10th and reinstating the Cup Winners Cup for the teams that win the FA Cup? Maybe do away with the league Cup or have it just for EFL teams and get rid of the other cup competitions. I'd have said include the League cup winners in the Cup Winners Cup but I don't know if any continental countries have an equivalent competition.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 10:12:04 AM »
Nice to see some well balanced answers on this thread - most are very realistic.

I definately want the club to be promoted but I know how incredibly difficult it would be next year and it all likelyhood, we will be served up with the weekly battering and in the relegation fight from day 1. For me we need to know what the intentions are of the owner and the board. I would love to see us buy quality players and actually put a team together that can more than holds its own, but under this present regime I fear [because I don't know] that its all about balancing the books and surviving. Now I don't mind that providing we 'have a go' on the pitch, but having to go back to watching the dross we have recently been served will not be acceptable.
There are many variables to the question really for me. I am loving the way we play at the moment, and if we can take this into the Premier League [with the right calibre of player] then I am all for it, but if we are going to park the bus every game, then I am not so sure. All of this depends on our beloved owner and board. At this moment the evidence seems to suggest that it will be the latter.   
MAGA!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 10:12:55 AM »
Stats show we are 11th or 12th in English football but our owners haven't had the financial muscle or forward thinking since our last hayday of 70s and early 80s.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 10:55:04 AM »
Stats show we are 11th or 12th in English football but our owners haven't had the financial muscle or forward thinking since our last hayday of 70s and early 80s.

Even during this last golden period we weren't exactly forward thinking or financially strong, hence why we lost players like Cunningham, Cantello, Robson, Moses etc. Football was more even back then that's why we were competitive.

Without being taken over by a rich individual/consortium who is able and prepared to spend £100M+ we will always be a mid-table prem side at best.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 11:14:19 AM »
If your reason in football is not to move forward then you will end up going backwards...

I want to go back up, if we come down again then so be it, but you always have to look towards promotion or there is no point in being in any league

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 11:18:27 AM »
For the reasons highlighted by jacko and the fear of having no money and returning to the dark days of the 90's - the answer is yes. What needs to happen when you get to the Premier league is to understand the best you can be and try to achieve that. For me, that would be mid-table (as unambitious as that sounds) but crucially as discussed in other topics down the years, become a cup team. Being a mid-table team gives you a good enough squad to give the best clubs a bloody nose in a one-off game and that's what we should be looking to do in my opinion, whilst also having a more positive style of football than we've witnessed under Pulis. Don't get me wrong, I'm under no illusions how difficult it is to win a cup but to really attack them would make mid-table seasons in the PL where we do get the odd result against good teams, at least a more exciting season, even without ending up winning a cup.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 11:37:22 AM »
A couple of points in relation to posts above

@Hull, to maintain a mid table prem club £100m is no longer enough (see fulham), it can be that much a season, there are clearly exceptions but only one which springs to mind is Watford, Soton were generating their cash via sales but still investing it all back in plus money from Billionaire owners

@Baggiebof, the cup idea is ok and a laudable objective, but if you draw one of the big uns in an early round you can be back to a "dead season" by January.

No-one sensible would try to enter a Mondeo in the F1 championship but that is what the Premier league have allowed Sky to turn the game into sadly. There are a few mondeos competing at the bottom end and its not fun watching them getting lapped year after year after year, after.........

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 12:07:16 PM »
I despise the premier league and what it has become....but I'd dearly love us to go back up even if its just to re-establish the respect opposition fans used to have of our approach to football before Pulis came along. Everyone hated us under Pulis the last couple of seasons and it still hurts me when I think of that. We at least need to put that right, surely?

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 12:15:41 PM »
I despise the premier league and what it has become....but I'd dearly love us to go back up even if its just to re-establish the respect opposition fans used to have of our approach to football before Pulis came along. Everyone hated us under Pulis the last couple of seasons and it still hurts me when I think of that. We at least need to put that right, surely?

Yep, we were always regarded as a team most people liked and Pulis well and truly put pay to that. DM in the PL may be able to change that.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 12:15:57 PM »
A couple of points in relation to posts above

@Baggiebof, the cup idea is ok and a laudable objective, but if you draw one of the big uns in an early round you can be back to a "dead season" by January.

Yeah, I accept that but for the reasons listed by Jacko and others re the loss of funding and the fear of returning to the days of the 90s, I still think we do want promotion; I am just trying to put a more positive spin on how seasons could be more exciting in the Premier league and for me, what we should be trying to achieve.

Another reason is the possibility of a European super league. Take out the bigger teams and we want to be in the level just below them to capitalise, should it ever happen of course.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 12:35:29 PM »
Like it or not football is a business nowadays so promotion this season is imperative. Whether we as fans enjoy it is another matter. Our lack of ambition over the last few years in the Prem made it a grind for me.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 12:40:14 PM »
I hate the Premier League but, if we don't go up, we just become also rans in the Championship, which is equally depressing.
Ideally, get promoted, have a real go at it, playing a decent style of football, and sticking with the manager, even if the going gets tough. If we did that and came back down, I wouldn't be too disappointed. It would certainly help restore some post Pulis pride.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »
The basic fact is we need to be a Premier League team now. The gap is huge - maybe not quality wise, but financially. If we don't go up this season, we could get progressively worse while chasing the same goal. The worst case scenario is ending up like Ipswich, whereby you've chased getting promoted again and end up millions in debt while dropping down the table.

Another fact is that the coming summer could (should) see our highest squad turnover in several years, with players leaving on frees, their loans ending, etc. That becomes an easier prospect if you're in the Premier League; players are more likely to sign, and you can afford much better wages and bonuses. If we're still in the Championship, not only will we struggle to attract players while having to reduce the wage bill, but we'll lose more players because people like Dawson, Rodriguez, Hegazi, etc still think they're Premier League players.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 12:48:30 PM »
agree that one of the most depressing things about modern football is the speed at which people (fans and directors) forget what managers have achieved.

There have apparently been mutterings about both Sean Dyche and Wagner at Huddersfield, 2 clubs who have massively over achieved due in no small part to the managers. As I say depressing, it would be good to be a club that buck that particular trend IMO.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 12:56:01 PM »
I definitely want us to get promoted. It is fascinating reading the views of others on this forum, many of which I fully appreciate having been a very regular viewer for some 50 years now. You do not have to play attritional football in the premier league as we did under you know who. There are many teams who have survived comfortably whilst playing an attacking brand of football. You risk a bloody nose when playing the top dogs for sure but there are plenty of other games.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2019, 01:12:52 PM »
The novelty of this division, winning games and playing good football is enjoyable - it has made a pleasant change and I am sure most have been happy with the season so far. I know playing in the Premier League is often boring, but the Championship after of few seasons, with dwindling home crowds and defeats away in Northern ****holes on a Tuesday night is hardly enjoyable either.

What has to be happen is that if we are promoted, the club do not accept to be just there. I am not so much calling for us to spend ridiculous amounts to finish 15th, I just want us to be there and at least try to be entertaining. I would hate to return to those Pulis years.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 02:44:29 PM »
I became really disinterested in the Premier League when we were in it and have remained so as we're not in it.
However on a personal level I have no interest in us returning to that awful land where the rich get richer and continue to exploit the poor. Sky TV and Premier League fit very nicely together as far as I am concerned and are welcome to each other.
I also know only too well that continual membership of the Championship is not what the club would want as that has a knock on effect on income and the cash the 'business' makes. That's not to say that I want to back in the PL as the Championship has 'proper' teams that to me represent what football is all about and lets be fair, football actually began a long, long time before 1992. In my opinion it was also a lot better then as well.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2019, 03:37:12 PM »
I will happily admit I haven't watched a single PL game all season either on TV or, god forbid, live and have probably only watched 20 mins of MOTD all season too
Don't miss it in the least
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2019, 03:40:36 PM »
Wouldn't look forward to City and the likes but as long we could hold our own against the also rans I'd be happy enough .
Frankly I just don't want to go backwards into the bad days again .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2019, 04:03:34 PM »
Wouldn't look forward to City and the likes but as long we could hold our own against the also rans I'd be happy enough .
Frankly I just don't want to go backwards into the bad days again .

Loved watching City show us how its done - proper football. However, I do agree with your thoughts on the matter.

In reply to Big Frank, I watched the Spurs/Man Utd game yesterday and thought it was a superb game. Was it my imagination or had Lukaku put a few pounds on???
MAGA!

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2019, 07:31:55 PM »
Thing is,we might just hit on our quality youngsters coming through having played in the championship with our experienced players,they might blend into a team like the Stathams Regis Robson's team.
You never know it might click and surprise everyone.
It's the hope that kills you.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2019, 08:05:35 PM »
So to sum up the discussion so far

1 Most of us hate the Premier League

2 Most of us want to be in it.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2019, 08:54:22 PM »
All in all we are just a load of women " we dont know what we want!"

mr multivac

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2019, 09:07:58 PM »
I know what I want I want us to be  able to produce ,discover our own players with out having to spend a fortune and have them competing with the likes of Manchester City in the premier League those players are out there they just need finding, we also need somebody to mould them into that team . I’d love it to be big Dave

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2019, 09:46:54 PM »
I hate the Premier League and have absolutely no desire to be in it until the "top six" bugger off to some sort of Euro League. Better still they all go bust. It's is non-competitive, non-sporting, dull and hopeless for everyone other than the few. That gap between that few and everyone else has also all but killed the FA Cup and as for the Carabao Cup - meh!

That said I do understand the clubs need to be in the Premier League.