Author Topic: Why did we play in yellow and green yesterday?  (Read 16097 times)

divinewind

• WBA Coach

Why did we play in yellow and green yesterday?
« on: August 18, 2019, 09:43:59 AM »
Our colours are navy blue and white stripes, no other club plays in those colours.
What is this obsession with yellow and green?
I was following  home andaway when we adopted the yellow and green,(and i fort it looked vewwy pwetty), but we are West Bromwich Albion, not Norwich City.
It's got to the point now that our fans are more interested at the start of the season if we will play in yellow and green, rather than who we will sign.

For god's sake, pull yourselves together you lot.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Why did we play in yellow and green yesterday?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 09:52:13 AM »
Our colours are navy blue and white stripes, no other club plays in those colours.
What is this obsession with yellow and green?
I was following  home andaway when we adopted the yellow and green,(and i fort it looked vewwy pwetty), but we are West Bromwich Albion, not Norwich City.
It's got to the point now that our fans are more interested at the start of the season if we will play in yellow and green, rather than who we will sign.

For god's sake, pull yourselves together you lot.

I agree 100% with what you say , I've never personally like these colours , I'd much rather the all white kit with red socks,  same as 68 cup final,  if that clashes then the all black one from a few years ago ,

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 09:53:38 AM »
I love the new yellow and green kit. Can we not just be happy we have a team capable of auto promotion though???

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 09:56:06 AM »
I love the new yellow and green kit. Can we not just be happy we have a team capable of auto promotion though???
Can we not have a opinion on the kit ? It is a forum after all , I'm just airing my view
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 10:45:39 AM by OldburyWBA »

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 10:08:01 AM »
I think if you’re going to sell shirts to supporters you really ought to play in the shirt regularly rather than just the one or two times there is a potential clash. I’ve no problem with them playing in the away shirt/s every away game. It certainly appears that the green and yellow has been lucky for us this season, long may that continue. Granted Albion are navy blue and white, but we’ve had numerous iconic moments where we haven’t been in that colour shirt.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »
Can we not have a opinion on the kit ? It is a forum after all , I'm just airing my view

This is an against thread
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 10:45:54 AM by OldburyWBA »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 10:14:35 AM »
The yellow and green is an iconic kit. Anyone that see's that kit thinks of Albion. There are very, very few clubs who are instantly recognisable by both their home and away kits. We should be proud of this.

It's a great kit and is our away kit so why not wear it when we play away?

Navy / white at home, green / yellow away. Perfect. I don't know why anyone has a problem with that.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 10:15:21 AM »
This is an against thread
No, it’s a discussion thread with people of differing views. Are you suggesting only those that agree with the original post can get involved? That’s not how a forum works.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 11:00:13 AM »
The yellow and green is an iconic kit. Anyone that see's that kit thinks of Albion. There are very, very few clubs who are instantly recognisable by both their home and away kits. We should be proud of this.

It's a great kit and is our away kit so why not wear it when we play away?

Navy / white at home, green / yellow away. Perfect. I don't know why anyone has a problem with that.

No offence but you're miles off the mark here.  Half the oppo fans I speak to don't even realise we're navy blue and white stripes, a lot think it's black.  Let alone have any idea what our away strips traditionally look like.  Show a random fan our away strip and most will conclude Norwich.

I like the green and yellow, but it's just a set of colours that change frequently

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 11:13:26 AM »
No offence but you're miles off the mark here.  Half the oppo fans I speak to don't even realise we're navy blue and white stripes, a lot think it's black.  Let alone have any idea what our away strips traditionally look like.  Show a random fan our away strip and most will conclude Norwich.

What the hell ....... lol. Any real football fan knows we play in blue and white. If they seriously think our stripes are black a) they know very little about football and b) they need to go to and buy some glasses. You must speak to some pretty odd opposition fans.

As for the away kit, everyone knows Norwich don't play in stripes, well possibly except the fans you speak to.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 11:48:39 AM by Atomic »

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 11:42:00 AM »
I love to see it when we have a big away following in nice weather and everyone's wearing a right mish-mash of home or away kits from all manner of era's. My favourite shirt for matches is my 1954 replica! (Nice and warm). Think it makes us unique and something we should be proud of.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 12:45:43 PM by miggybaggy »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 12:02:31 PM »

I like the green and yellow, but it's just a set of colours that change frequently

You must talk to some absolute fkn neeks on away days chap. That or they're David Brent types on the wind up. Whichever it is simply educate the cretins and move on.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 01:30:07 PM »
I've got a feeling the Commercial/Marketing Dept. have had a significant say in this. It may sell them a few more shirts, but I imagine all potential customers are aware of the green yellow stripes by now. Anyway, I won't be buying one. For me Albion is blue and white. 

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 01:41:00 PM »
I think the league has a minimum requirement on amount of times you must wear the away shirt. I’ve definitely read it at some point, although it may have been a premier league rule. I think it’s at least 8 times. I’ve a feeling the third shirt has to be worn a few times too.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 01:46:54 PM »
I think the league has a minimum requirement on amount of times you must wear the away shirt. I’ve definitely read it at some point, although it may have been a premier league rule. I think it’s at least 8 times. I’ve a feeling the third shirt has to be worn a few times too.
Can't think why they would be bothered, unless they get a cut on the shirts sold.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 02:03:48 PM »
Can't think why they would be bothered, unless they get a cut on the shirts sold.

I think it’s more an attempt to stop fans getting ripped off for a shirt that’s never worn.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 02:12:56 PM »

What the hell ....... lol. Any real football fan knows we play in blue and white. If they seriously think our stripes are black a) they know very little about football and b) they need to go to and buy some glasses. You must speak to some pretty odd opposition fans.

As for the away kit, everyone knows Norwich don't play in stripes, well possibly except the fans you speak to.  ;)

I don't mean they get our kit confused with norwich but ask someone which team a greens and yellow kit reminds you of then the answer will be Norwich.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 02:37:26 PM »
I just love the yellow and green, that's all.

On the dark navy blue and and white issue, people think Juventus copied Notts County, but they actually copied us, they just got the colour wrong.  Or so I have heard.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 03:00:15 PM »
We also wore the away strip against forest who wore red. Seems these days the away shirt is worn regardless of clash of colours. Arsenal wore their away shirt last week against Newcastle when their red wouldn't have clashed with black and white stripes

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 03:05:38 PM »
I just love the yellow and green, that's all.

On the dark navy blue and and white issue, people think Juventus copied Notts County, but they actually copied us, they just got the colour wrong.  Or so I have heard.
juventus were sent old notts county shirts when starting out so yes Juventus copied notts county.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 03:51:24 PM »

Of course you can, I didn't mean to sound like I was digging at you. I was just pointing out that we have had some real rubbish to deal with and sit through over the last few years and after the encouraging signs I have seen so far this season. Just want everyone to stay positive!

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 03:56:35 PM »
I think the yellow and green stripes are garish but coupled with the yellow shorts we look like clowns.
We shouldn't wear an away shirt unless there's an obvious clash.
Are they really traditional?  They weren't worn when I started to watch the Albion.  Blue and white is the more traditional.  The away kit I liked was white with two half inch stripes to the left side.  I saw it when we played Southampton at St Mary's.  Understated, classy and with the proper colours.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 03:57:07 PM »
I can't wait to see who we are playing for the purple strip to make an appearance. Worlds gone mad.

At the start of the cup run in 1968 we had a 3rd round replay against Colchester, and because Colchester didn't have an away strip we played in all red. We won 4-0. All red was our traditional strip and i think a blue and white scarf with a band of red would be class.
Hey there were 38,000 at the Hawthorns for that 3rd round replay, i was one of them. How times have changed.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 04:42:13 PM »
The green/yellow away kit oozes Albion tradition just like the navy/white does at home.  Its eye catching, loved by the fans, very recognisable (and will continue to be the longer we wear it), historic and above all, looks great. The fact that this is the biggest talking point on the forum today shows that the clubs done a lot of things right recently 🔵⚪

Boing boing!!
Oozes what tradition? We're Blue and White the wol5es are Sh!te.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 04:51:23 PM »
Said in the exact same thread that appeared after Forest, the clue is in the name, it is an AWAY kit not a CHANGE kit. Worn away NOT when there is a clash.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.