Author Topic: Director of Football  (Read 77188 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Director of Football
« Reply #250 on: August 03, 2019, 07:25:23 AM »
Come on Dowling get your finger out, Slav wants a minimum of three players in the door this week.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #251 on: August 03, 2019, 07:46:46 AM »
Unfortunately its not a simple as just changing the rules. Although the FA / Premier league / EPL can govern themselves to some extent, and the clubs could agree a higher limit, it now seems an international problem and would need Fifa to do it. Fifa are never going to set such high limits universally as there are still many leagues where those numbers would be idiotic. Its likely the bigger european clubs would resent it too, and are more likely to have big sway to lobby with Fifa.

Beyond what the football bodies can do, there also wider law. If the FA set it at £10m, i think it would be overturned by a higher power.

A young 15 year old who has never signed a contract would certainly have a strong case at law for a 10m amount placing too high a barrier to their ability to make their own choices about who they sign a contract with.

It does need to be higher than it is though, and they should set mandatory sell on percentages.
Yes, decent rules requiring sell on percentages would sort it.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #252 on: August 08, 2019, 05:51:00 PM »
Very well done, Mr Dowling and team. Given the financial constraints imposed by Messrs Lai, and Jenkins, you have done a very good job of overhauling our squad, and I look forward very much to seeing Albion play a completely new brand of football to that which we have seen in recent seasons.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #253 on: August 08, 2019, 05:52:39 PM »
Very well done, Mr Dowling and team. Given the financial constraints imposed by Messrs Lai, and Jenkins, you have done a very good job of overhauling our squad, and I look forward very much to seeing Albion play a completely new brand of football to that which we have seen in recent seasons.

Here here, looks like the best window for a VERY  long time
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2019, 05:53:56 PM »
Yes '68 gotta agree, plenty to be positive about for sure. It's been a good window for us, all down to Slav to get the boys delivering now!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #255 on: August 08, 2019, 05:56:27 PM »
Yep credit where it is due, a good window overall. I fancy us for te automatics possibly.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #256 on: August 08, 2019, 05:56:50 PM »
I'll second that. At face value looks a very competitive squad with no outrageous expense. I think Dowling was honest about Gayle, and did actually try to secure him a second time, but hopefully with Austin he has found another regular goalscorer.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #257 on: August 08, 2019, 05:59:10 PM »
Tip of the hat to Dowling there, very well done.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #258 on: August 08, 2019, 05:59:57 PM »
Was always going to be a very difficult job replacing all the players who have left, getting some pace into the squad, and getting in a group of much younger players. I was settled in my head that doing all this would take 2 or 3 transfer windows, and was settling down for a mid table performance this season. But fair play, we have made an extremely good job at trying to do it all in one go, and Dowling needs to be given a large chunk of the credit (remembering bringing in Bilic as well).

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #259 on: August 08, 2019, 06:00:10 PM »
Plenty of humble pie here if anyone wants a slice  ;D

Well done to Jenkins, Dowling and all concerned. That is showing real intend.

Cannot wait for Saturday now!!!

COYB!!!
MAGA!

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #260 on: August 08, 2019, 06:02:00 PM »

Spot on! I cant wait to spend more time standing up than sitting down....come on you baggies!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #261 on: August 08, 2019, 06:02:10 PM »
I was worried knowing the team rebuilding required this summer but fair play to those who have put this squad together cracking job now let's rip into this league!

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #262 on: August 08, 2019, 06:08:24 PM »
They've done a lot better business than I thought they would this window. Fair play. Particularly happy with Charlie Austin and Sawyers. Well done.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #263 on: August 08, 2019, 06:22:11 PM »
We as fans are quick enough to slate them when it goes wrong, so only fair we praise them when they do a good job.

Solid window, reduced the age of the squad, brought in some much needed athletes, pace, quality all across the pitch.

Good job Dowling.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #264 on: August 08, 2019, 06:28:14 PM »
think we've been very shrewd this summer, to transform the squad with young exciting players and do it on budget is a job well done. well done to all involved in making this happen, it has the potential to be a very exciting season.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #265 on: August 08, 2019, 06:31:40 PM »
Time to rebuild the academy coaches now.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #266 on: August 08, 2019, 06:33:47 PM »
I said in an earlier post it was to early to judge Dowling, but I think we all have to agree, he has hit the button this window.
the most exciting thing is the ages of most of the signing, we want legs ,well we certainly have those.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

sandbachbaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #267 on: August 08, 2019, 06:34:58 PM »
Absolutely buzzing. Work with a load of stokies and envious isnt the word. Great job by Dowling. Starting with Slaven. Cannot wait for the weekend.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #268 on: August 08, 2019, 06:41:28 PM »
Well done Dowling and Pearce!

Ps. I think the fact that Slaven is our Head Coach should not be overlooked in getting some, if not all our deals over the line
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:05:34 PM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #269 on: August 08, 2019, 07:10:18 PM »
Credit where it’s due, we do seem to have made some quality signings. Shows what happens when you move away from the director of football model and give the power to the manager. It’s taken years to shift the type of players Pulis brought in and shift the policy back to longer term signings.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #270 on: August 08, 2019, 07:12:51 PM »
Knives away for Jenkins and Lai also - at least for a while. At least Lai seems to be following the 'self sustaining' model he mentioned i.e. he's not asset stripping. 

On the evidence so far, we could have far worse owners.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #271 on: August 08, 2019, 07:21:12 PM »
Hat's off to all concerned. Bringing in an experienced coach and a different mindset on players brought in.

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #272 on: August 08, 2019, 07:27:26 PM »
Excellent window. Probably one of the best for some time

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #273 on: August 08, 2019, 07:39:00 PM »
Great window on paper, but we said that 3 seasons ago. I'm waiting to see these lads play before lavishing praise. We also need an explanation re the goings on at the training ground.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #274 on: August 08, 2019, 07:40:09 PM »
I've made no secret of the fact that i'm not a Dowling fan. That's why I get that people on here will take it with a pinch of salt what i'm going to say next, but i'm going to reserve my praise at this stage.

If your only measure is "by the close of the window, have we built a side that looks like it could get promotion this season" , then on the face of it we seem to have done that. We have bought players in every position needed, we seem to have some highly rated youngsters and fans of other clubs will fear us looking in from the outside.

Of course, our 3 wingers today might all be Jacob Murphy level - we won't know until we see them, but in the face of it that is right.

I've not been convinced by the process though. 1 player signed 3 weeks out from deadline day, then a glut of signings from other championship clubs, and then a deadline day supermarket sweep style rush. We needed a goalscorer and a winger all summer but waited till deadline day to do the business. People might make excuses, but the best operators get their business done more efficiently than that.

The glut on wingers we have bought also feels like overkill, blocking the youth prospects. 1 winger felt like enough, 2 at a push, but 3 seems a touch ott for where we are at the moment.

I also have doubts about our scouting still, especially abroad. Majority of signings were players we have faced in the last 2 years, and of the 3 signings from abroad, 1 is an England youth international everyone knows about, Krov was 100% a Bilic led signing and the rumours are that Pereira was also Bilic led (if that isn't the case I do apologise and it would put my mind at ease).

I could be being very unfair on Dowling, but i've still got reservations that today's activity has not removed. I've got lingering doubts that our comparitive financial muscle has possibly got Dowling out of a tight spot, and next summer he might not be so lucky.
Boing Boing