Author Topic: Our Legends who are they  (Read 24102 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Our Legends who are they
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2016, 05:01:41 PM »
I'd disagree with the fact odemwingie will never be remembered apart from that hat trick, like you say never a legend or hero however I thoroughly enjoyable player to pay money to go and see, joy to watch.

I didn't say he'd never be remembered, just that after the hat-trick he will be remembered for driving to London.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2016, 05:04:52 PM »
I didn't say he'd never be remembered, just that after the hat-trick he will be remembered for driving to London.

Life goes on he obviously had problems at Albion hence why he said to berahino to leave.

On the London fiasco rednapp was probably mostly at fault for that.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2016, 05:15:10 PM »
We all have problems in life, its how you choose to deal with with them.

I think too much time and too many words have been wasted on him to be honest, had it all and ruined it here, like so many its downhill once you leave and so it seems thats how its gone for him.

Baggieman1805

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2016, 05:25:23 PM »
Derek Statham
If it wasn't for preferred Gooner Kenny Sansom he would have been an England regular for many years

BRIAN

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2016, 05:56:53 PM »
I had the pleasure of meeting Jess Pennington in 1968, but my biggest moment was meeting King Astle. He was the greatest legend I had since first seeing WBA in1949.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »
I don't subscribe to the theory that Odemwingie can't be a legend because of the way he left. If you view only his time with us he was absolutely fantastic, on a different level to anything any of the under 40 odds would have seen. He played a similar number of games for us as Cunningham. Left under different circumstances clearly, but both left ultimately.
I would have thought bob taylor  or kevin phillips were  an equal or more deserving of hero/legend status than odemwingie to anyone under 40. not sure if you ever saw Cunningham live but odemwingie really wasn't anywhere near his level. 

Albionwarrior

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2016, 08:24:45 PM »
I agree with virtually all the above,

But for me who started supporting in 1971 see the Watney Cup final against Colchester and the next four years of decline. Nice bloke but poor football under Don Howe, arrival of Willie Johnston was the highlight, but for a bloke who started the journey of having a group of who appeared to be lower to mid table players and after an initial shakey start saw The Baggies play from 1975 to 1980 a brand of football that was simply mind blowing, the Leicester City of the 1970's, where we went to virtually every game expected to win, the catalyst has to be .......

Johnny Giles

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2016, 08:44:55 PM »
I agree with virtually all the above,

But for me who started supporting in 1971 see the Watney Cup final against Colchester and the next four years of decline. Nice bloke but poor football under Don Howe, arrival of Willie Johnston was the highlight, but for a bloke who started the journey of having a group of who appeared to be lower to mid table players and after an initial shakey start saw The Baggies play from 1975 to 1980 a brand of football that was simply mind blowing, the Leicester City of the 1970's, where we went to virtually every game expected to win, the catalyst has to be .......

Johnny Giles
Spot on
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »
I would have thought bob taylor  or kevin phillips were  an equal or more deserving of hero/legend status than odemwingie to anyone under 40. not sure if you ever saw Cunningham live but odemwingie really wasn't anywhere near his level.
I wasn't suggesting he was, just suggesting that simply ruling him out because he left was a bit short sighted. Just used Cunningham as an example because as good as he was his time with us was equally short lived.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2016, 09:25:40 PM »
Tony 'Bomber' Brown.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2016, 12:28:25 AM »
Odemwinge and for that matter Berahino shoud never be mentioned in an Albion legends topic, because neither will ever come close to real legends Astle, bomber, cunningham, Statham ,wile ,robertson,Robson, Allen, Barlow and many many others!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2016, 09:07:39 PM »
Odemwinge and for that matter Berahino shoud never be mentioned in an Albion legends topic, because neither will ever come close to real legends Astle, bomber, cunningham, Statham ,wile ,robertson,Robson, Allen, Barlow and many many others!
In your opinion
It's a bit like saying the Beatles are much better than one direction,some would agree although they sang about a yellow submarine, then some would point to the popularity of Harry styles and how quickly they sell out venues. it's all opinions
So
If someone asks who I think is a legend, in my time , it is Peter Odemwingie
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2016, 11:09:37 PM »
Super Bob. At 31 years old he's one of few options. I'd consider anybody else a bit of a cult here *Cough* Big Dave!

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2016, 12:35:39 PM »
From my lifetime it has to be Super Bob.

he was hero during his first stint with us. then he returned and was part of the survival of the club and then the catalyst to promotion.

a shame the way it ended

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2016, 03:23:37 PM »
talking about Laurie Cunningham on talk sport now
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2016, 04:57:32 PM »
Super Bob is a legend...

I would go as far as saying Kevin Phillips is, but thats just purely because I liked him as a striker full stop throughout his career.

Best striker ive seen down the Albion in my time Phillips is.....

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2016, 07:47:13 PM »
Super Bob is a legend...

I would go as far as saying Kevin Phillips is, but thats just purely because I liked him as a striker full stop throughout his career.

Best striker ive seen down the Albion in my time Phillips is.....
Phillips was a brilliant all round striker, for such a small bloke he scored some fantastic headed goals. bizarre that he only got 8 caps.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2016, 04:49:42 AM »
Perhaps the title of this thread needs changing to the past tense?
"Our legends who were they?"
Sadly I fail to see any potential legends in the current, or most recent, crop of players  :(
I'd hope to see Rondon promoted to hero status next season but that's about it
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2016, 01:25:28 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XTAMsgAdsII

Leicester have this on their forum in their we love Albion thread.......Legends!!

Xpresso

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2016, 07:25:12 PM »
There's only one… Ronnie Allen

Paulsammax

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2016, 07:20:06 PM »
It's harder to classify anyone as a legend in the modern era as players move around so much. Also it's often not til the player has gone that we think of them in that way. I'd have to pick Cunningham. Best player in an Albion shirt.
From today's lot, I think that in time we may consider Yacob as a legend

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2016, 07:22:19 PM »
It's harder to classify anyone as a legend in the modern era as players move around so much. Also it's often not til the player has gone that we think of them in that way. I'd have to pick Cunningham. Best player in an Albion shirt.
From today's lot, I think that in time we may consider Yacob as a legend

I would say a good indecation are they part of the 300 club
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2016, 11:55:55 AM »
Anyone remember Alex Jackson, my favorite growing up, came from Tipton, first player I saw nutmeg an opponent and also flick the ball over a defender run round him and carry on the attack, leaving the defender flat footed - skills in abundance before his time 8)

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2016, 03:13:22 PM »
What about on a purely footballing level, Lee Hughes?
Baggie Terra

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2016, 01:50:28 PM »
In my Albion watching lifetime (since mid eighties) I think only Super Bob could reasonably be considered a 'Legend'. From what I've seen of our history since the 50s, then I'd consider Ronnie Allen, Derek Kevan, Jeff Astle, Bomber, Laurie Cunningham, Cyrille Regis and Bryan Robson to be Legends.  I wonder whether we'll ever have another considering how the modern game works ?