Author Topic: Albion/ Notts Forest 1978 on TV tomorrow....  (Read 13005 times)

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

throstle

• Youth Baggie

Re: Albion/ Notts Forest 1978 on TV tomorrow....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 07:09:35 PM »
Available now if you can't wait.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0736hkr

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 07:12:55 PM »
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 08:11:17 PM »
just checked it's actually on at 15:00.  Remember that game I went to it.  It was the year Forest won the title and the league cup in the same season and if I remember right they hadn't lost in the league since the previous November and never lost again that season.  we feared no one in those days !!

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 10:00:55 AM »
Also, if you haven't cancelled Sky sports football channel yet, you can get another 'fix' of Albion, from 12pm through to 5pm, with 15 minutes highlights shows, of all (or certainly most of) our league games so far this season. We have Virgin, so it's channel 513 on that, but as i say, it's on the Sky sports football channel.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 10:07:48 AM »
Also, if you haven't cancelled Sky sports football channel yet, you can get another 'fix' of Albion, from 12pm through to 5pm, with 15 minutes highlights shows, of all (or certainly most of) our league games so far this season. We have Virgin, so it's channel 513 on that, but as i say, it's on the Sky sports football channel.

The strange thing about this Sky Sports Pause is that it says all 11 channels and recordings will remain available but people are saying Sky Sports shuts off completely after pausing.

I paused it this morning as it wouldnt do it yesterday as the demand was high online. But if they shut off Sky Sports completely then they are going against what they have said they are doing
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 02:41:38 PM »
Loving this but if one thing stands out by watching game after game again it’s how much of a liability Calamity Kyle is  : :o

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 03:15:06 PM »
just checked it's actually on at 15:00.  Remember that game I went to it.  It was the year Forest won the title and the league cup in the same season and if I remember right they hadn't lost in the league since the previous November and never lost again that season.  we feared no one in those days !!

After all that I can't find it! It's still The Corona Show....

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 03:17:10 PM »
Loving this but if one thing stands out by watching game after game again it’s how much of a liability Calamity Kyle is 

Totally agree, hopefully some of his apologists were tuned in.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 05:08:33 PM »
I'd forgotten just how brilliant Tony Godden was.

Trophies or not, we were the best team going back then.

If you could have your own Heaven, it would be to watch that squad play over and over again.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 05:12:02 PM »
I'm too young to remember him properly but i assume it was only because he was around the same time as Shilton that he didn't play for England once?

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 06:49:20 PM »
Enjoyed watching that. It certainly took me back. I was there on the day, fantastic win and 38000 fans. Loved seeing Willie Johnston, what a player. The game was slower then that’s for sure

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 08:00:18 PM »
It was a great day.

I remember being so worried about the motivational powers of Clough that I thought our best chance was to stay 0-0 and then nick it late on before he could do anything to change it. When Mick Martin had us one up at Half Time, I feared Cloughie was such a magician he’d definitely turn it around!

But when Cyrille scored the second I started to believe it was our day.

Great to see a few cameos from Willie Johnston too - he was such an exciting player at his best, and could take any full back to the cleaners.

And you can see why Tony Brown scored so many - always in the box, looking to score.

It says it all that Laurie Cunningham couldn’t even get into the starting XI - it was a wonderful team.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 09:08:46 PM »
One massive difference from todays football ( apart from the state of the pitches), there was no diving.  There was one situation when Ally Brown took it past Shilton, if he dived it was probably a penalty, but that was a thought that never came into his head.  That's why the footballers of today are not man enough to fill the boots of the players then.  Today they are nothing but cheats !!!

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 09:45:22 PM »
It was a great day.

I remember being so worried about the motivational powers of Clough that I thought our best chance was to stay 0-0 and then nick it late on before he could do anything to change it. When Mick Martin had us one up at Half Time, I feared Cloughie was such a magician he’d definitely turn it around!

But when Cyrille scored the second I started to believe it was our day.

Great to see a few cameos from Willie Johnston too - he was such an exciting player at his best, and could take any full back to the cleaners.

And you can see why Tony Brown scored so many - always in the box, looking to score.

It says it all that Laurie Cunningham couldn’t even get into the starting XI - it was a wonderful team.

Absolutely that. I want Slaven to take us back to the 'place' we all watched today. How about it Mr. Bilic?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 10:11:04 PM »
Based solely on that game, I would not have been a big fan of Ally Brown.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 10:12:24 PM »
Straight off the pitch at full time too, something I've never really had a problem with in the modern game.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 10:20:38 PM »
I think you would. Very good player lot of clever movement he was the fall guy for Cyrille but also scored some crackers himself. Also a very nice humble man.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 10:26:47 PM »

Ally was IMO a honest pro not at the highest level but a very very solid top championship / lower prem player in modern terms. Not afraid to do the dirty stuff and a good foil for more gifted players
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 10:27:20 PM »
I think you would. Very good player lot of clever movement he was the fall guy for Cyrille but also scored some crackers himself. Also a very nice humble man.

Cheers mate! Bomber would have got a couple in this game if AB had passed! That said I'd never judge a player on just 1 game, 4 or 5 maybe but not 1 haha.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 10:32:18 PM »

Cheers mate! Bomber would have got a couple in this game if AB had passed! That said I'd never judge a player on just 1 game, 4 or 5 maybe but not 1 haha.

i've been trying to think of a recent comparison and the nearest I can get is JRod,
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2020, 12:10:28 AM »
This was against a very good Forest who dominated both domestic and foreign competition at the time, remember how they ripped us apart the season after up the Albion with a 1-5 thrashing, think Trevor Francis played against us that day.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2020, 12:19:59 AM »
i've been trying to think of a recent comparison and the nearest I can get is JRod,

***** then? Haha just kidding.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2020, 07:20:30 AM »
Ally Brown scored some, missed a lot, but he was always there, hard to think of a modern day comparison, but he was a very good player for us and excellent on his day.
Baggie in Southampton

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2020, 08:47:49 AM »

I can understand that statement based on this match. He was poor on the day but did play very well on occasions and could finish. I think his best season was the following one, 78 to 79.