Author Topic: Albion in Europe  (Read 3421 times)

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Albion in Europe
« on: March 18, 2020, 10:33:34 PM »
We've played some major clubs over the years so has anyone who posts on here been to any of these matches?

Brugge  68/9
Dynamo Bucharest. 68/9
Roma 1970
Inter Milan  1971
Galatasaray  1978
Braga.  1978
Valencia.  1978
Red Star Belgrade.  1978
Carl Zeiss Jena.  79/80
Grasshoppers.  81/82
Fiorentina.   93/94

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Albion in Europe
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 01:19:30 AM »
All the 78 home games. The only away I’ve been to is Villareal last summer. 🤪
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 05:34:19 AM »
We've played some major clubs over the years so has anyone who posts on here been to any of these matches?

Brugge  68/9
Dynamo Bucharest. 68/9
Roma 1970
Inter Milan  1971
Galatasaray  1978
Braga.  1978
Valencia.  1978
Red Star Belgrade.  1978
Carl Zeiss Jena.  79/80
Grasshoppers.  81/82
Fiorentina.   93/94
Every home game, sadly none away. Red Star Belgrade, the heartbreaker - 41 years ago this coming Saturday.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 06:31:15 AM »
All the late 70's and early 80's home ties Valencia was maybe the best ever performance I have witnessed by an Albion team.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 07:19:11 AM »
This was edition #2 of a trip down memory lane  :D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 08:04:58 AM »
This was edition #2 of a trip down memory lane  :D
😀 it's for the more knowledgeable and discerning supporters and sadly much older ones😇. Did Red Star and Valencia at home but never met anyone who did any away ties, Valencia away is the only one I've seen TV clips from but looks like I may have drawn a blank on people who experienced the away games. Was banking on Iwastherein68 to share his experience.
Would love to see more TV clips of those European games particularly the away games now my memory is starting to fade .
Was there some talk about a virus yesturday😄

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 08:46:00 AM »
All the late 70's and early 80's home ties Valencia was maybe the best ever performance I have witnessed by an Albion team.
Yes, they were brilliant that night, and could have won by more. At the time I really thought we could go on and win it, but in the next round Mr Sestic thought otherwise.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

throstle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 11:18:56 AM »
Footage of Grasshoppers, the last time we played in a major European tournament

https://youtu.be/wIfUPv31zqI

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 12:33:30 PM »
28 so never got to see us play in actual European competition but went to Malmo in 2012 and Arnhem in 2016. Although I never got to see us play in Arnhem as I went for the second game which was postponed due to the mayor worrying about PSV and  vitesse fans having a tear up.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:37:16 PM by leeiswba »

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 12:40:28 PM »
Does the trip to Dunfermline qualify me?
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 01:42:48 PM »
I was at all home legs of European competitions we have played in, but never away, sadly.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 03:05:36 PM »
Went to these ones at home but only away i've done is the friendly in Malmo

Galatasaray  1978
Braga.  1978
Valencia.  1978
Red Star Belgrade.  1978
Carl Zeiss Jena.  79/80
Grasshoppers.  81/82
Fiorentina.   93/94
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Alangordon

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 09:04:57 AM »
I've never posted before but due to the dearth of people who've had the pleasure of seeing us play away in Europe, I thought I'd add my memories of my trip to Valencia in '78 as an 18 year-old. Some of my memories are a bit foggy so forgive me for any inaccuracies.
I'm pretty sure the flight was a "special" laid on for Baggies supporters. I guess there were about 50 of us. From the airport there was a coach to take us from the airport straight to the ground. I recall it taking ages and we finally got in to a packed stadium quite late only to find all our seats already taken by Spaniards who obviously weren't going to move for us. There were no stewards and no segregation so we spent the match sitting on the steps in the aisle.
My main memories of the match apart from the tremendous performance of the whole team were firstly, how Wile and Robertson kept the world class Mario Kempes in their pockets. And secondly the performance of Laurie Cunningham. He was majestic. So much so that coming out of the ground, Valencia supporters were coming up to us, shaking our hands and saying, "Cunningham... Fantastique!!" I felt so proud to be a Baggie.
Back at the airport waiting to check in we were told that the team bus was just pulling up outside so we went to greet the players off the coach and they chatted to us. I remember Dekka Statham asking me about our trip and if I'd enjoyed the match.
Then there was the home leg which was another fantastic performance and what an atmosphere. Funnily enough one of my main memories of that match was the chant, "You're just a bunch of waiters."
Great memories but then followed by the heartbreak against Red Star Belgrade. Wasn't it a very late goal that did us in that match?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 09:19:46 AM »
I've never posted before but due to the dearth of people who've had the pleasure of seeing us play away in Europe, I thought I'd add my memories of my trip to Valencia in '78 as an 18 year-old. Some of my memories are a bit foggy so forgive me for any inaccuracies.
I'm pretty sure the flight was a "special" laid on for Baggies supporters. I guess there were about 50 of us. From the airport there was a coach to take us from the airport straight to the ground. I recall it taking ages and we finally got in to a packed stadium quite late only to find all our seats already taken by Spaniards who obviously weren't going to move for us. There were no stewards and no segregation so we spent the match sitting on the steps in the aisle.
My main memories of the match apart from the tremendous performance of the whole team were firstly, how Wile and Robertson kept the world class Mario Kempes in their pockets. And secondly the performance of Laurie Cunningham. He was majestic. So much so that coming out of the ground, Valencia supporters were coming up to us, shaking our hands and saying, "Cunningham... Fantastique!!" I felt so proud to be a Baggie.
Back at the airport waiting to check in we were told that the team bus was just pulling up outside so we went to greet the players off the coach and they chatted to us. I remember Dekka Statham asking me about our trip and if I'd enjoyed the match.

Firstly, welcome to "posting land" and what a great first post to start with.

Great memories for you and well articulated for the rest of us. Keep em coming  :)
Then there was the home leg which was another fantastic performance and what an atmosphere. Funnily enough one of my main memories of that match was the chant, "You're just a bunch of waiters."
Great memories but then followed by the heartbreak against Red Star Belgrade. Wasn't it a very late goal that did us in that match?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 10:41:38 AM »
Does the trip to Dunfermline qualify me?

Probably not, but if it does then I'm definitely claiming the Aberdeen pre season fixture  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 11:57:48 AM »
Done Swansea and Cardiff away...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 12:33:23 PM »
Done Swansea and Cardiff away...

Me too, and Rhyll for the U23s in pre season  ;D .

throstle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 02:32:49 PM »
I'm claiming the game at Dumbarton in 1988 for the Championship of the World.

http://www.scottishsporthistory.com/uploads/3/3/6/0/3360867/the_championship_of_the_world_final_24-07-2018.pdf

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 03:03:06 PM »
I'm claiming the game at Dumbarton in 1988 for the Championship of the World.

http://www.scottishsporthistory.com/uploads/3/3/6/0/3360867/the_championship_of_the_world_final_24-07-2018.pdf

Blimey and that was only thirty two years ago?

Time simply flies by  ;D .