Author Topic: Non League Football Thread  (Read 6626 times)

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Non League Football Thread
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2023, 11:42:08 AM »
Through to the next round of the FA Cup are Halesowen, Stourbridge, Rushall Olympic and Tamworth with Redditch still in the Hat but needing a Replay to Peterborough Sports. Sporting Khalsa who beat Darlaston, Stafford Rangers and Worcester are all out
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2023, 02:22:23 PM »
And something of a weird one for me. Darlaston after beating Rugby Borough 3-10 in the Birmingham Senior Cup have got....Albion albeit probably the kids things I never thought I would see. So I will be watching Albion and Darlo on the same day at the same ground. Date is not yet known but Darlaston are at home. This Season is certainly memorable and also weird being on TV and now facing Albion's Kids

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2023, 09:48:13 AM »
Potentially another large crowd for Darlaston tonight facing Albion's kids Darlaston have only list once all season and are 4 games behind and a few Points of the top we are 5th. This Season the top two go up automatically with 3, 4 5 and 6th in the play offs the way I remember it last Season first went up with 2nd and 3rd In the play off. So last Season Walsall Wood and Lye went up. Also Darlaston face Northwich Victoria away this Saturday who I think were bigger a few seasons ago and Bruce Groblar the ex Liverpool keeper played a single game for them.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2023, 10:19:33 AM »
And No Neutrality From me last night as Darlaston played Wolves and won 3-1 on Penalties with Darlo not needing to take the 5th. It was 1-1 after 90 minutes and we played in front of a crowd 430, there was a Burger Van and Bar and it felt massive. If it helps Wolves U18's looked awful Albion's team was better and played wonderful. Wolves went long ball, Darlo are now in the Quarter Final of the Birmingham Senior Cup can we get Villa. What a night, what a result, what a season so far. Villa have to face Worcester I think

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2023, 05:50:56 PM »
Went to my first non-league game today.

Going to visit all the footy teams in London while I'm here so started with Barnet Vs Southend. Would love to say it's been a great experience but the game was really poor. Little quality on display from either side although the Barnet header for their goal was nice.

Was a nice little ground. All seated. Only 3 stands. Behind the one set of goals is the club car park.

Barnet fans very muted but to be fair little to cheer even though they were 3rd before kick off.

Southend were a right noisy bunch in the ground and even louder out of it. Accidentally caught the tube that hundreds of them got on at.

Glad to have ticked 'The Hive' off my list of grounds but no rush to go back.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2023, 11:10:40 AM »
You will be spoilt Gazberg, there's a goldmine of grounds to visit, plus a few big, noisy fan bases.

Dulwich Hamlet are well known in non league for big attendances and loud crowds, I'd be tempted to make that your next visit. Clapton also do the same at a lower level, they are a bit of an English St Pauli, loud ultras section.

Wealdstone and Bromley are meant to be decent teams/grounds to see, Dartford also being quite state of the art.

A bit lower down, I've always wanted to see Canvey Island's ground, an exposed, old fashioned terrace, while Tooting and Mitcham are a target for ground hoppers (again, old fashioned terraces).
Boing Boing

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2023, 11:52:45 AM »
Went to quite games a few years ago, Bromsgrove, Alvechurch, Moor Green, Halesowen mainly, and the Newport when they were non-league at Spytty Park.
Can honestly say I enjoyed everything about it from the football, beers and cameraderie!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2023, 12:11:54 PM »
You will be spoilt Gazberg, there's a goldmine of grounds to visit, plus a few big, noisy fan bases.

Dulwich Hamlet are well known in non league for big attendances and loud crowds, I'd be tempted to make that your next visit. Clapton also do the same at a lower level, they are a bit of an English St Pauli, loud ultras section.

Wealdstone and Bromley are meant to be decent teams/grounds to see, Dartford also being quite state of the art.

A bit lower down, I've always wanted to see Canvey Island's ground, an exposed, old fashioned terrace, while Tooting and Mitcham are a target for ground hoppers (again, old fashioned terraces).

Thanks for that Baggies. Some good info there.

I'm trying to get round the PL clubs too but paying £50 for membership just to be able to buy a ticket to a game for another 50 quid is something I'm not on board with yet.

I'll make Dulwich Hamlet my next stop, thanks!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2023, 01:26:40 PM »
Went to quite games a few years ago, Bromsgrove, Alvechurch, Moor Green, Halesowen mainly, and the Newport when they were non-league at Spytty Park.
Can honestly say I enjoyed everything about it from the football, beers and cameraderie!

I didn't mean it sound like i had an awful day just the game was poor. I enjoyed the trip as Barnet is north London and i'm south so went to places i've not yet been. It took 80 mins to get there and was £22 to get in! Another 40 mins and a fiver more and i could have gone to The Hawthorns!

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2023, 08:05:13 PM »
I didn't mean it sound like i had an awful day just the game was poor. I enjoyed the trip as Barnet is north London and i'm south so went to places i've not yet been. It took 80 mins to get there and was £22 to get in! Another 40 mins and a fiver more and i could have gone to The Hawthorns!
I know, sorry you thought that!  :D I was elaborating on the good value days out to be had watching lower league footy!
Happy new year to you up the baggies!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2024, 02:34:57 PM »
Went to my first non-league game today.

Going to visit all the footy teams in London while I'm here so started with Barnet Vs Southend. Would love to say it's been a great experience but the game was really poor. Little quality on display from either side although the Barnet header for their goal was nice.

Was a nice little ground. All seated. Only 3 stands. Behind the one set of goals is the club car park.

Barnet fans very muted but to be fair little to cheer even though they were 3rd before kick off.

Southend were a right noisy bunch in the ground and even louder out of it. Accidentally caught the tube that hundreds of them got on at.

Glad to have ticked 'The Hive' off my list of grounds but no rush to go back.
Next time you should visit Dorking Wanderers Marc White founded them as a Sunday League side and they have gone up through the years to the National League. He is the chairman and gaffer. Wrexham touched on them in there documentary. There is now a documentary focusing on them on YouTube you have to pay for the full episodes but you can watch twenty minute clips for free. It's on the Channel Bunch Of Amatuers.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2024, 03:17:19 PM »
Darlaston beat Uttoxeter 1-0 thanks to an 87th minute screamer in a game that was a good defensive display from  both sides, Darlaston edged it and deserved to win as during the first 10 minutes and most of the first half Darlaston played on the front foot. It looked like it would end 0-0 with people saying it didn't look like we would score I was still optimistic and said 1 goal wins. When the goal went in not for the first time this season there was limbs. The Referee was awful ruined the flow and was trying to get Uttoxeter to draw. As he walked off one of our fans said bet your sad your team lost Ref. And then a Uttoxeter fan walked over stuck his head into the players walking area and said Useless Ref you were useless.  Everyone was in agreement, even the Club Secretary was saying to some Uttoxeter fans that he was awful. I said that a Golden Retriever which two Uttoxeter fans had brought to the game she could have done a better job. As I joked just reward her for giving desicions your way. Interestingly in the Midland Premier Divison they ay got the refs wearing Cameras yet. Darlaston were 6th going into the game. They have a fixtures to catch up on due to Weather and the Cups. As this season like it was when I first started watching them the Play Offs are now 2nd to 5th rather than 2nd Facing the 2nd bottom team from the Divison above. Rushall Olympic beat Stalybridge 3-2 to remain 14th in the National League North. Tamworth are top, Solihull are 4th in the National League and Ik Kidderminster Harriers now have a new manager and are fighting relegation.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2024, 03:36:09 PM »
Darlaston beat Uttoxeter 1-0 thanks to an 87th minute screamer in a game that was a good defensive display from  both sides, Darlaston edged it and deserved to win as during the first 10 minutes and most of the first half Darlaston played on the front foot. It looked like it would end 0-0 with people saying it didn't look like we would score I was still optimistic and said 1 goal wins. When the goal went in not for the first time this season there was limbs. The Referee was awful ruined the flow and was trying to get Uttoxeter to draw. As he walked off one of our fans said bet your sad your team lost Ref. And then a Uttoxeter fan walked over stuck his head into the players walking area and said Useless Ref you were useless.  Everyone was in agreement, even the Club Secretary was saying to some Uttoxeter fans that he was awful. I said that a Golden Retriever which two Uttoxeter fans had brought to the game she could have done a better job. As I joked just reward her for giving desicions your way. Interestingly in the Midland Premier Divison they ay got the refs wearing Cameras yet. Darlaston were 6th going into the game. They have a fixtures to catch up on due to Weather and the Cups. As this season like it was when I first started watching them the Play Offs are now 2nd to 5th rather than 2nd Facing the 2nd bottom team from the Divison above. Rushall Olympic beat Stalybridge 3-2 to remain 14th in the National League North. Tamworth are top, Solihull are 4th in the National League and Ik Kidderminster Harriers now have a new manager and are fighting relegation.
Surprised to read that Kiddy are struggling, they have been really up and down over recent years
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2024, 03:46:33 PM »
Surprised to read that Kiddy are struggling, they have been really up and down over recent years

Appointed Phil Brown as manager during the week
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2024, 04:19:31 PM »
Been to see the. A few times this season….certainly not awful…but just a touch unlucky .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2024, 09:08:38 AM »
Appointed Phil Brown as manager during the week

Rushes off to buy shares in the tanning salons of Kidderminster.........
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2024, 09:30:02 AM »
The only problem with non league football since covid (and it's fully understandable) is that the ticket prices are getting closer and closer to £20 a ticket to see Conference-Conference South/North games

Solihull Moors for example charge £18 a ticket, for £10 more you could go and watch Championship football
Baggie Terra

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2024, 09:42:50 AM »
The only problem with non league football since covid (and it's fully understandable) is that the ticket prices are getting closer and closer to £20 a ticket to see Conference-Conference South/North games

Solihull Moors for example charge £18 a ticket, for £10 more you could go and watch Championship football

£22 to watch Barnet a few weeks ago was a real shocker i cannot lie. I'd say the home ends were only 2/3rds full.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2024, 09:49:11 AM »
£22 to watch Barnet a few weeks ago was a real shocker i cannot lie. I'd say the home ends were only 2/3rds full.

My lad's going through a ground ticking phase and he's had a few eye openers about none league admission prices. Sometimes it's almost as though he didn't believe me  ;D .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2024, 10:01:57 AM »
My lad's going through a ground ticking phase and he's had a few eye openers about none league admission prices. Sometimes it's almost as though he didn't believe me  ;D .

An expensive lesson for him to learn then! Even allowing for the divison they are in the footballs not very good.

I'm off to Dulwich Hamlet soon and they are about £12 which is more like it.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2024, 02:31:08 PM »
WM are doing a Non League special on Tuesday Rushall will be live on Freeview, they are also covering Tamworth (Shouldn't that be Coventry and Warwickshires Patch), Stourbridge, Solihull Moors not sure if they have Halesowen. But credit to them. Maybe Darlaston could feature when we have our next fixture in the Birmingham Senior Cup. Or when the International Break is on. They have interviewed our Chairman before and covered our games  briefly. But This is what Local Radio should do Is focus on the Non League Scene might encourage more people to support the grassroots of the game. Especially as the top divisions seem to be even more alienated.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2024, 09:59:37 AM »
Well I've seen it all this season with Darlaston apart from many bad results we are Doing queit well. I've seen us on TV, have a crowd of 1,200 for our replay against Sporting Khalsa, Seen us beat Albion with some now Sqaud players in the team, seen us beat Wolves, Score last minute winners and get beaten once or twice, but I haven't seen us thrash anyone until last Saturday against Bwedley who are bottom of the league who we beat 9-0 we were 3 up within 4 Minutes. We were 4 up at Half Time. Bewdley didn't give up but it was the first time I had seen us thrash anyone. Honestly what a season, though with us being taken over (Albion) this now makes my football lire interesting

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2024, 02:28:14 PM »
Darlaston are a form of absolute madness at the minute we have 7 games to play in 14 games from last week I think we played Saturday before last, Wednesday, Saturday, Monday, Yesterday, Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Out of the last 3 Darlaston have 9 points against 6 against the same team who are play off rival and have scored 10 goals with 2 players scoring a hattrick, on Saturday just gone we played at Home against Stourport one of the league's form sides and trashed them 4 nil Aaron Bishop scored a hattrick with our player of the Season James Rowland scoring a Penalty.

We then played AFC Wulfrianians and beat them four nil this time Kerian Cook in his second game since returning to us scored a hattrick with Rivel Mardenborogh scoring the other and Yesterday we played Stourport again and beat them 0-2 with goals from Jack Downing and Mardenborogh again.

This Saturday we have Lichfield City who I believe are now top of the league. But we look formidable at home.

I will always support the Albion, but I love Non League, to me the fact these lads who have jobs like everyone else are playing 7 times in 14 days and aren't moaning is why I love it. To be fair Albion don't moan either, but Sky can mess with our kick off times, but when the weather is good you know Saturday 3PM or Midweek you have a game to go to and you can walk there not spend money on Public Transport that is currently delayed or not running. And it just feels more real. I must admit I am quite sad the season ends on Saturday 13th April only 18 teams. I think maybe next Season it is 20 so if we don't go up we get more games. But these year at least we have the Euros and Albion possibly getting the Playoffs. Darlo themselves are trying to secure the Playoffs. I am not sure how it works if we will be home or away for both I think it might be away or when they are. But I have loved this season and I am sad it is almost over.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2024, 11:18:18 AM »
Well yesterday I finally have found out one bloke doesn't like me. It was a friendly game I wasn't chanting. I did swear but only as a firefly wouldn't leave me alone and this old bloke just stared at me. Anyway his grandson came onto to play and he is 16. I stated I was 16 4 years ago and he said although I barely heard him that I didn't act like I was 16 4 years ago. Initially no idea what that meant, I thought he may have been saying I was mature. A bloke who I was stood by told me no he is saying that for someone is 20 a lot of the things or Expressions you say are rubbish. I told the bloke I ay offended I was bullied at school, I've had lots of abuse given to me. I don't offend players as the bloke whose grandson it was said If you abuse him I'll Deck ya. I have never abused players, maybe given some stick to opposition for there antics. If anything I have had good interactions with ours and opposition players shared some banter with one player after some early confusion. So Anyway I said I was allowed to Express an opinion and if he didn't like it tough. I've since figured out he probably doesn't like me swearing. In fact because they all know me down the club they moan at me and another lad in his late twenties about 26 but he doesn't care he is autistic to. Now I know he has abused our captain and I thought he wasn't much older as he acted immature. But I always get moaned at for swearing. To me there is Beer, it is a bar would I swear in a Pub yes, would It be fine yes. There are never any kids stood around us apart from the blokes I know but there not paying attention and the Blokes don't care they expect it. There was no kids by us at all yesterday. But I think he thinks I am a yob. Now I don't really care but I think it comes down from me giving stick to a ref and telling the lad who is autistic to Deck someone who had offended him. He didn't do anything as said not to by the blokes wife, but he still wanted to do something and being autistic I know this.

Now whenever this is said it makes me question why do I continue to come I should just go down the other Darlo. But then I think actually I'll be here a lot longer than this bloke so I can do what I want within reason. Should I have sworn no but I had had 1 pint and after a pint it loosens you up. And yes it was friendly, but other blokes swear, difference they aren't known. I can now see why this might put people off coming to games at all levels and no atmosphere being created as they want people to come and support the Albion or Darlo.

But to me to quote Enienm Leave me to be me I think from the song Rap God or Slim Shady I know he says it. And focus on your grandson playing

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2024, 12:35:42 PM »
With the greatest of respect if you get loosened up after only one pint of regular beer or cider it's probably best you stand further away from the glass. Cue 04's attempts to suck regular beer or cider through the longest straw available rather than leaving it well alone........ probably  ;D .