Author Topic: Gareth Barry retires  (Read 188119 times)

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

Re: Gareth Barry
« Reply #775 on: October 31, 2019, 12:16:59 PM »
Signing later today according to E&S (Masi on Twitter)....

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #776 on: October 31, 2019, 12:32:43 PM »
Not overly keen on this , everything we have done well this season has been built on young , fresh players .
Certainly short term and against what we have been building but I suppose Bilic has done enough to get another player he wants .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #777 on: October 31, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »
I welcome this news. I don't expect him to be a regular starter ever again. But I still feel he can help us to see out games and can be a real influence in the dressing room too.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #778 on: October 31, 2019, 12:48:44 PM »
Not overly keen on this , everything we have done well this season has been built on young , fresh players .
Certainly short term and against what we have been building but I suppose Bilic has done enough to get another player he wants .

I don't think he'll be a regular, but he still has a use being bought on later on to keep us throwing games away.

We need to improve our game management, something Barry is good at and can pass on to others.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #779 on: October 31, 2019, 12:54:14 PM »
Happy enough with this.

He won't be a regular, I expect he'll replace Brunt on the bench and we may see him in the thick of it for the heavy christmas/new year fixture list but beyond that ideally we'll only want him around the dressing room as the "old head" for the younger players to learn from and calm things down a bit when needed.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #780 on: October 31, 2019, 03:19:44 PM »
If I was Romaine Sawyers I'd be clapping my hands at the thought of having such a seasoned pro in the camp and i think that's what his main influence will be, along with stepping in as and when required to see a game out or to cope with injuries etc. Probably has one eye on a coaching role.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #781 on: October 31, 2019, 03:51:15 PM »
Cover for Livermore over a long winter as far as I can see, or if we get a really bad run of injuries we could reorganise around him for a couple of games I suppose

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #782 on: October 31, 2019, 03:52:22 PM »
If we're bothering doing this it's straight into the team in place of Livermore for me.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #783 on: October 31, 2019, 04:12:35 PM »
If we're bothering doing this it's straight into the team in place of Livermore for me.

Jacko the guy is 38 years old and had no football for months, he's going to need a few PL2 games before he gets anywhere near the first team. Even then he will be used sparingly.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #784 on: October 31, 2019, 08:54:05 PM »

...to immediately weaken the starting 11.

Although Brunt must surely be toast if Bilic still wants Barry.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #785 on: October 31, 2019, 10:56:56 PM »

I just do not understand this unconditional loathing of Livermore.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #786 on: November 01, 2019, 01:11:06 AM »
We are 2 -1 up against Charlton, down to 10 meb . Do I want to bring on CB or GB to see the game out?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #787 on: November 01, 2019, 09:29:51 AM »
I just do not understand this unconditional loathing of Livermore.

The bloke loves to whinge about all things Albion mate, you'll get used to it eventually.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #788 on: November 01, 2019, 10:08:04 AM »
The bloke loves to whinge about all things Albion mate, you'll get used to it eventually.

to be fair to Jacko he only really whinges about Livermore, Bartley and Johnstone.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #789 on: November 01, 2019, 10:23:33 AM »
I would personally welcome him back with open arms. People are too quick to forget that for about two months last season, he ran the show for us in the midfield and looked absolutely superb, sadly for him the tactics were all wrong.

At the minute, should Sawyers or Livermore miss a game we have eithr Chris Brunt or Rekeem Harper to come in, one is not a central midfielder and is past it in any event and the other is not trusted by Bilic in the slightest. We need Gaz Baz.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #790 on: November 01, 2019, 01:28:28 PM »

I think it can be easy to overlook that, because of his style, Jacko can be misinterpreted at times.

I have no doubt he has Albion’s best interests at heart and wants to see us be as best that we can be.

He has forthright views and opinions, which do challenge.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

WBAlbion123

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #791 on: November 01, 2019, 04:15:43 PM »
I think it can be easy to overlook that, because of his style, Jacko can be misinterpreted at times.

I have no doubt he has Albion’s best interests at heart and wants to see us be as best that we can be.

He has forthright views and opinions, which do challenge.

Very diplomatic of you however unfortunately some people come onto a forum with such certainty of view you wonder why they entered into a discussion in the first place. Feel sorry for the chap.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #792 on: November 01, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »
Very diplomatic of you however unfortunately some people come onto a forum with such certainty of view you wonder why they entered into a discussion in the first place. Feel sorry for the chap.

Haha, don't worry about me. Simple guideline to my posting style, I like footballers not plodders, make no apologies for it. If an Albion player costs us regularly (Johnstone, Bartley) or I perceive the team is weaker compared to alternative players (Livermore) then I will say so, with certainty, no problem with differing opinions but why say anything uncertainly?

Cheers.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #793 on: November 01, 2019, 05:51:23 PM »

Haha, don't worry about me. Simple guideline to my posting style, I like footballers not plodders, make no apologies for it. If an Albion player costs us regularly (Johnstone, Bartley) or I perceive the team is weaker compared to alternative players (Livermore) then I will say so, with certainty, no problem with differing opinions but why say anything uncertainly?
Cheers.
Because most posters recognise (sensibly) that they do not have an innate ability to be 100% correct?
In my extremely 'umble opinion, your 'certain' view of players seems to be rooted in historic mistakes, rather than based on current empirical evidence.

However, back on topic, I'm glad that Barry is going to be around for the latter part of the season, when gaps through injury/suspensions may well appear. This season he will benefit from having younger pacy players to do some of his running.
Even if he only plays a minor part on the pitch, I'll be more than happy for him to mentor the academy.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #794 on: November 01, 2019, 06:05:22 PM »
Because most posters recognise (sensibly) that they do not have an innate ability to be 100% correct?
In my extremely 'umble opinion, your 'certain' view of players seems to be rooted in historic mistakes, rather than based on current empirical evidence.

However, back on topic, I'm glad that Barry is going to be around for the latter part of the season, when gaps through injury/suspensions may well appear. This season he will benefit from having younger pacy players to do some of his running.
Even if he only plays a minor part on the pitch, I'll be more than happy for him to mentor the academy.

Surely then you may be glad Barry is going to be around but you're uncertain that you're glad.

Totally misses the point on a forum like this doesn't it? Everyone is posting opinions they believe to be true, there is no other way to do it.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #795 on: November 01, 2019, 06:18:29 PM »

I wasn’t being diplomatic.

I enjoy his style, it touches nerves and opens up the debate, if you are prepared for debate and don’t have preconceived views and ideas.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t always agree with Jacko, like I don’t agree with many others on here, but, invariably, what he posts is based on fact and not too far from the mark.

Sometimes, because like the rest of us he makes a judgement call based on what he sees and the  information available at the time, he isn’t’ always right, but most times, he is on the button, in my view.

I can’t believe I’m defending Jacko! But, I’m trying to be fair and reasonable.

I think that last statement is, imho, disrespectful to a member of this forum who has been on here for many years and has so many post against his name. I would hope, on reflection you would reconsider that statement
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 06:25:14 PM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #796 on: November 01, 2019, 07:57:20 PM »

Surely then you may be glad Barry is going to be around but you're uncertain that you're glad.

Totally misses the point on a forum like this doesn't it? Everyone is posting opinions they believe to be true, there is no other way to do it.
I don't even understand what that comment on my post means (and care even less).
You are as close to a troll that this site allows. Is that certain enough for you?
If you REALLY think that Barry should walk straight back into the 1st team then words fail me.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #797 on: November 01, 2019, 09:04:20 PM »
I don't even understand what that comment on my post means (and care even less).
You are as close to a troll that this site allows. Is that certain enough for you?
If you REALLY think that Barry should walk straight back into the 1st team then words fail me.

No surprise there...  ::)

If I was a remotely troll the excellent Mod team wouldn't have put up with it for 11k posts, I jut have a different opinion to you about certain things.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #798 on: November 01, 2019, 09:44:40 PM »
Do you really think GB should play on Monday? :o

WBAlbion123

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #799 on: November 01, 2019, 10:24:52 PM »
I wasn’t being diplomatic.

I enjoy his style, it touches nerves and opens up the debate, if you are prepared for debate and don’t have preconceived views and ideas.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t always agree with Jacko, like I don’t agree with many others on here, but, invariably, what he posts is based on fact and not too far from the mark.

Sometimes, because like the rest of us he makes a judgement call based on what he sees and the  information available at the time, he isn’t’ always right, but most times, he is on the button, in my view.

I can’t believe I’m defending Jacko! But, I’m trying to be fair and reasonable.

I think that last statement is, imho, disrespectful to a member of this forum who has been on here for many years and has so many post against his name. I would hope, on reflection you would reconsider that statement

Then you must have enjoyed my comment then because it's certainly created a reaction from yourself. Back to the subject in hand personally I feel we are pandering to Barry a little and as it stands I feel there will be minimal return by the way of performances. Of course I'm always happy to be wrong and hope he does make a reasonable contribution.