Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 409025 times)

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #1325 on: July 02, 2020, 11:26:11 PM »
Yes, he should have been up front, but he has now lost his edge.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1326 on: July 03, 2020, 08:46:40 AM »
I think he will run down his career with a lower championship side - which could be us if we don't go up before the parachute payments run out.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1327 on: July 03, 2020, 09:03:55 AM »
Start of this season was great and i think people are being a little harsh on him. Doesn't deserve to start put still has a part to play and would probably be a decent option off the bench next season.

If we're going 433 I'd rather see Robinson/new signing signed and on in Phillips' place and Pereira on the left or inverted.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1328 on: July 03, 2020, 04:03:33 PM »
Hasn't had a goal or an assist since Luton on 1st Feb, although his minutes have been patchy since then, mainly coming off the bench, except against Blues and Brentford. Definitely feel there are better options but he is very much a traditional winger and could merit a spot on the expanded bench
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1329 on: July 03, 2020, 07:01:39 PM »
Has got progressively worse in his time at our club. Was delighted when we signed him and he’s had some excellent games for the club. Sadly, none for several months or at least 15 matches.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1330 on: July 15, 2020, 12:41:23 PM »
Think his time with us is up.
His step-over tourettes drives me mad, he cannot get the ball without trying one! Whether it's some sort of mid-life crisis, and he's trying to prove he's down with the kids, I have no idea, but it's ridiculous.
His airshot sums up his current state of mind, for me, and, for a confidence player, it is not a good one.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1331 on: July 15, 2020, 01:26:54 PM »
I thought he did okay yesterday, his work rate was better. I'd still have him on the bench to bring on though.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1332 on: July 15, 2020, 03:08:28 PM »
Think his time with us is up.
His step-over tourettes drives me mad, he cannot get the ball without trying one! Whether it's some sort of mid-life crisis, and he's trying to prove he's down with the kids, I have no idea, but it's ridiculous.
His airshot sums up his current state of mind, for me, and, for a confidence player, it is not a good one.
Stepovers help put the opposition player off balance. Its what wingers do. The best of them. Different wingers use different tricks, though obviously no guarentee  they come off.
Yesterday he slipped when he was about to shoot. Are players not allowed to slip anymore?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1333 on: July 15, 2020, 03:32:35 PM »
Phillips has had pretty much the same season every year he's been here. He starts off well with goals and assists, gets injured for a few weeks, comes back and then does absolutely nothing for the rest of the season. Only now his pace seems to be in serious decline as well so his dribbling is much more limited.

If we go up we should certainly be looking to get rid, if we stay down he might somehow produce in the first 1/3 of next season again.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1334 on: July 15, 2020, 03:40:00 PM »
Stepovers help put the opposition player off balance. Its what wingers do. The best of them. Different wingers use different tricks, though obviously no guarentee  they come off.
Yesterday he slipped when he was about to shoot. Are players not allowed to slip anymore?
It doesn't if you do it every time  :o It's more like a tic than a trick! and, more often than not, it puts him off balance and allows the defender to stand him up. Ridiculous!
But, if you're convinced it's so effective, when was the last time he put in a decent cross from open play, following a couple of Charles, Charlie, Charles tricks?

Whether it's a slip or an airshot is debatable but, either way, he never looked confident and neither was I.

He's been ok for us but is very much on the downturn.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1335 on: July 15, 2020, 03:56:06 PM »
He's a big unit for a wide player. I never realised how big he is until this season.

Probably not the time for experimentation at the moment, but I think I could see him as a target man in the middle.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1336 on: July 15, 2020, 03:58:06 PM »
Never mind him slipping, he should have passed. Not one of my favourite players by a long shot, but he's a confidence player and he seems to have been lacking that for awhile.
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1337 on: July 15, 2020, 03:58:15 PM »
He's a big unit for a wide player. I never realised how big he is until this season.

Probably not the time for experimentation at the moment, but I think I could see him as a target man in the middle.

He's played up front for Scotland, tbh I'm surprised we've never given him a run out in the role.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1338 on: July 15, 2020, 04:44:53 PM »
It doesn't if you do it every time  :o It's more like a tic than a trick! and, more often than not, it puts him off balance and allows the defender to stand him up. Ridiculous!
But, if you're convinced it's so effective, when was the last time he put in a decent cross from open play, following a couple of Charles, Charlie, Charles tricks?

Whether it's a slip or an airshot is debatable but, either way, he never looked confident and neither was I.

He's been ok for us but is very much on the downturn.
I think you're just trying to pick faults when, apart from the slip, he didn't do badly yesterday.  I know there are some wingers who just put their head down and run, but each has to find there own way of getting past their full back. I've seen Phillips use his burst of pace to good effect on many occasions. He is also a fairly clinical finisher.
And how do you know he didn't look confident? Unless you had a zoom lens focused on his facial expression. Give him a break. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1339 on: July 15, 2020, 04:51:00 PM »
He wasn't the only player to slip over at a crucial point either.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1340 on: July 15, 2020, 08:18:41 PM »
Been awful for months and how he gets on pitch is beyond me, did nothing of note except fall on his fat backside.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1341 on: July 15, 2020, 08:27:38 PM »
I think you're just trying to pick faults when, apart from the slip, he didn't do badly yesterday.  I know there are some wingers who just put their head down and run, but each has to find there own way of getting past their full back. I've seen Phillips use his burst of pace to good effect on many occasions. He is also a fairly clinical finisher.
And how do you know he didn't look confident? Unless you had a zoom lens focused on his facial expression. Give him a break.
Ok then, he fell over very confidently.
You are right about his burst of pace but, unfortunately, it is a thing of the past and has been replaced by desperate party tricks.
As for picking fau!t, I have absolutely no motive whatsoever to do so, I am just calling it as I see it. If you see it differently, I am ok with that.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1342 on: July 17, 2020, 10:48:50 PM »
They have been many soul destroying performances from 7/8 players today but Matt Philips gutless effort must be right up at the top of the list. He looked petrified and knackered every time the ball went near him, lucky to last until half-time without being subbed.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1343 on: July 17, 2020, 11:00:56 PM »
What ever league we are in, get rid of this excuse of a footballer.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1344 on: July 17, 2020, 11:06:03 PM »
Signed a new deal.. He's here to stay sadly.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1345 on: July 17, 2020, 11:08:11 PM »
I want to cry

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1346 on: July 17, 2020, 11:11:56 PM »
Never seen such a confidence player in all my life. Right now he has nothing about him and looks useless

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1347 on: July 17, 2020, 11:12:32 PM »
His race is definitely run now. Sell him for a couple of million and allow him to have a fresh start.
Boing Boing

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1348 on: July 17, 2020, 11:15:37 PM »
His race is definitely run now. Sell him for a couple of million and allow him to have a fresh start.
Let him go free. That is all he is worth

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1349 on: July 17, 2020, 11:17:41 PM »
Can't see anyone matching or improving his wages since we signed him to a new deal this season. Imagine it will be him and Grosicki as first choice for us next season.