Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 409658 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #1275 on: June 26, 2020, 11:37:58 PM »
Has someone else has stated Bilic needs his head examined if he keeps putting this tool on the pitch.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1276 on: June 27, 2020, 08:26:21 AM »
I am very mindful that I have never been Phillips greatest fan and as such I don't want to fall into the trap of blaming all the woes of the world onto a player I don't particularly rate.

In the shape that Bilic went with i.e. 4-2-3-1 with Diangana wide left for balance you probably want a natural right winger on the opposite flank. To that extent Phillips selection was logical. I would also suggest that Phillips is a notoriously slow starter after a break and while he was poor against Blues with a bit game time under his belt Bilic might have hoped for a step change in his performance.

In terms of the alternatives Robinson really isn't a traditional winger he is much more of a inverted wide attacker and as such not a natural in that role. Equally Grosicki has spent a lot of his career playing an inverted role but can play either. Edwards is a genuine alternative but lacks the physical presence and defensive awareness that Phillips should bring to the game which is a consideration when he is facing up to Rico Henry who is a real attacking threat.

Bilic's faith in the player was poorly rewarded. I concede there is a good Matt Phillips that might emerge with a bit of game time but our position is such that we can't wait. Bilic needs to sort out an alternative and go with it.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1277 on: June 27, 2020, 10:22:26 AM »
That defensive consideration went right out the window when he failed to track his man for their goal. Abject.

He’s very one dimensional in his play and those deficiencies shine brighter when he is blowing cold. I would not be lining up with him going forwards
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1278 on: June 27, 2020, 10:22:50 AM »
Guy only has a good third of a season in him every season. He had that at the start. He's used up his good performances for the year a long time ago. Leave him out.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1279 on: June 27, 2020, 10:32:24 AM »
That defensive consideration went right out the window when he failed to track his man for their goal. Abject.

He’s very one dimensional in his play and those deficiencies shine brighter when he is blowing cold. I would not be lining up with him going forwards
Don't know why there is this obsession for forwards to track back.  We're not playing in a Pulis formation. The problem yesterday first half was that there was not enough support for the likes of Phillips up the pitch. Furlong hardly got forward. Let the defenders and midfielders defend.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1280 on: June 27, 2020, 10:52:41 AM »
Don't know why there is this obsession for forwards to track back.  We're not playing in a Pulis formation. The problem yesterday first half was that there was not enough support for the likes of Phillips up the pitch. Furlong hardly got forward. Let the defenders and midfielders defend.

There are defensive duties across the pitch.

We cannot allow our full backs to be isolated, two against one, just because Phillips is a forward & Pulis is not here.

Had Phillips bothered to track the runner as opposed to ambling around the pitch, we could have prevented that goal.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1281 on: June 27, 2020, 11:13:05 AM »

Yes the one time that it was really important he didn't track back and from that point of view none of the alternatives could have been worse.

It is a bit of a cliché but attackers are the first line of defence and defenders are the people that start attacks. In particular circumstances like that of the Brentford goal both because of his physical proximity to the runner when the move starts and also because he can see the danger Phillips has to respond.   

I would hope not to see him start again this season.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1282 on: June 27, 2020, 11:24:21 AM »
Most frustrating Albion player ever. Has never really pushed on in his career. Has about 10 good games a season then completely falls away. We should look for better in the summer.
BOING BOING

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1283 on: June 27, 2020, 11:28:19 AM »

We cannot allow our full backs to be isolated, two against one, just because Phillips is a forward & Pulis is not here.

Had Phillips bothered to track the runner as opposed to ambling around the pitch, we could have prevented that goal.

Wasn't phillips the one who went sliding accross to try and prevent dasilva putting the ball through to Watkins? (who had hegazi spectacting him from the wrong side of where a defender should be)

Sawyers and Furlong was already on Benrahma before he played the ball to dasilva... to suggest phillips needed to be on him aswell is ridiculous.

Not trying to defend phillips, It's clear to see for everyone that we need to see more from him if we are to push on for promotion, but people blaming him for the goal due to not tracking back are just doing so purely because their not a fan of his. We shouldn't need 3 men on 1 player to stop them.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1284 on: June 27, 2020, 11:33:09 AM »

But if Phillips is back around his own box, he's not going to be up the pitch when we need to attack. Its a question of using your energy economically.  If a two against one situation develops outside our box, its for another defender or defensive midfielder to anticipate and get across.
If our forwards start dropping deep, we just get pinned back and can't get out of our own half.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1285 on: June 27, 2020, 11:46:12 AM »
Wasn't phillips the one who went sliding accross to try and prevent dasilva putting the ball through to Watkins? (who had hegazi spectacting him from the wrong side of where a defender should be)

Sawyers and Furlong was already on Benrahma before he played the ball to dasilva... to suggest phillips needed to be on him aswell is ridiculous.

Not trying to defend phillips, It's clear to see for everyone that we need to see more from him if we are to push on for promotion, but people blaming him for the goal due to not tracking back are just doing so purely because their not a fan of his. We shouldn't need 3 men on 1 player to stop them.

It’s game awareness - noticing danger and acting accordingly.

The lad runs off the back of him and it’s too late to react.

Concede your point about Hegazi as he gets the wrong side of Watkins and nor does he put in a challenge.

We play with two in midfield - against a side like Brentford who retain and move the ball so well - yes, I would be expecting my wide forwards to chip in and help out.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1286 on: June 27, 2020, 12:13:59 PM »

I didn't want to be unfair to Phillips so I watch the goal back frame by frame several times

It wasn't solely Phillip's fault. About 4 Albion players might have done better. Furlong/Sawyers to cut out the return ball to Da Silva. Ajayi and Johnstone to cut out Da Silva's cross and Hegazi getting himself between Watkins and the goal. However it was Phillips who had Da Silva in is his sight and was the closest to him.

Da Silva sprints Phillips jogs breaking into a sprint only when the danger became very apparent. To put this into context Jake Livermore whose starting position was on the opposite side of the box who is  in no way is responsible for marking Da Silva responds quicker to the threat than Phillips.

Rolling the footage back the previous Albion attack broke down when Phillips played a pretty hopeless pass in the vague direction of HRK. Overall not his finest 2 minutes in an Albion shirt.

My one defence of the player was that he might have been better defensively than the alternatives well that argument fell to pieces right there.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1287 on: June 27, 2020, 12:26:19 PM »
But if Phillips is back around his own box, he's not going to be up the pitch when we need to attack. Its a question of using your energy economically.  If a two against one situation develops outside our box, its for another defender or defensive midfielder to anticipate and get across.
If our forwards start dropping deep, we just get pinned back and can't get out of our own half.

It's more a question of having some energy in the first place plus some desire.  Both Brentford and B'ham defended in numbers, got forward in numbers and raced back in defence when they lost the ball.  Welcome to the Championship.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1288 on: June 27, 2020, 12:44:10 PM »
Awful decision to extend the contract of Phillips. Now we have him on the payroll until at least this time next year and he will be of little use, especially if we go up. Exactly the same comment could be made about Austin, Zohore and HRK. We are bleeding money on these 4.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1289 on: June 27, 2020, 01:21:01 PM »
I have defended MP for a long time, blaming injury lays etc, etc for his bad performances, but now I accept that his form has dropped off the edge of a cliff and there is no excuse for it.

He is a shadow of the player who was tearing it up in the prem and at the start of last season.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1290 on: June 27, 2020, 02:30:45 PM »

It's almost you didn't watch the goal...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1291 on: June 27, 2020, 02:37:48 PM »

Watch the way they build up from their own half and down that left hand side and Phillips is just walking.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1292 on: June 27, 2020, 02:47:31 PM »
Watch the way they build up from their own half and down that left hand side and Phillips is just walking.

I know mate.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1293 on: June 27, 2020, 02:58:16 PM »

It's almost like you can't read.

Regardless if Phillips was where he should have been or not, there were always 2 of our players on 1 of their players that were still getting their passes off. Which is why I said, We shouldn't have needed to have an extra man on their player with the ball making it 3 on 1 to stop them.

Benrahma had Sawyers and Furlong on him, still got his pass off to Dasilva
Dasilva them managed to pass the ball through 3 of our players (including the only one trying to stop him - phillips sliding through), past our static keeper... straight into Watkins feet for an easy tap in due to Hegazi being the wrong side of him, which is defending basics.

So yes, I did see the goal and my point still remains... Even if phillips did track back, he would have just taken Sawyers or Furlongs place trying to stop Benrahma playing the ball.

Our defending was just a shambles for that goal, to blame our attacking player is just down to people trying to blame him because they don't rate him.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1294 on: June 27, 2020, 03:03:51 PM »
Time for him to go or not first choice anymore.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1295 on: June 27, 2020, 03:04:20 PM »
He wouldn't as Benrahma is Furlong's man and Da Silva is Phillips' man. It's not difficult.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1296 on: June 27, 2020, 03:17:29 PM »
He wouldn't as Benrahma is Furlong's man and Da Silva is Phillips' man. It's not difficult.

Regardless, there were players on both that you mentioned... because it aint their man, they can't attempt to make a challenge?

Or do we just stop when one of our players loses his man, everyone just stands ther pointing the finger?

Come on be realistic, this isn't football manager.  Open your eyes.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1297 on: June 27, 2020, 03:19:28 PM »
Regardless, there were players on both that you mentioned... because it aint their man, they can't attempt to make a challenge?

Or do we just stop when one of our players loses his man, everyone just stands ther pointing the finger?

Come on be realistic, this isn't football manager.  Open your eyes.

This is what I meant with my flippant post to you. There was nobody on Da Silva.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1298 on: June 27, 2020, 11:00:54 PM »
Awful decision to extend the contract of Phillips. Now we have him on the payroll until at least this time next year and he will be of little use, especially if we go up. Exactly the same comment could be made about Austin, Zohore and HRK. We are bleeding money on these 4.

Disagree re HRK - he’s been great value.  Austin might have been good value if he was given pitch time.  Zohore - agreed.  Phillips - agreed

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1299 on: June 27, 2020, 11:53:33 PM »
Don't think we could give Zohore away no takers, Austin could be shipped out North of border if interest of Celtic or Rangers is to believed. Stuck with Phillips and Kanu unless some idiot cones calling.