Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 406769 times)

kendo

• Youth Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #950 on: March 12, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »
How the hell does he get called up for the Scotland squad. Whats  he doing selling programes, or pies.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #951 on: March 12, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »
I don't care if he could be an asset for us in the Championship, I want him gone.  Lack of effort, bottling challenges and shirking his responsibilities - he epitomises everything this team has become.  Shouldn't play for us again this season, for all his faults I'd rather see McLean play from here on in, at least he plays with some pride. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:04:24 PM by Signor_Maresca »
"This crack is really moreish."

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #952 on: March 12, 2018, 04:07:49 PM »
I don't care if he could be an asset for us in the Championship, I want him gone.  Lack of effort, bottling challenges and shirking his responsibilities - he epitomises everything this team has become.  Shouldn't play for us again this season, for all his faults I'd rather see McLean play from here on in, at least he plays with some pride.

Find myself agreeing with you on this fella

He has gone from being a player we cant be without to a player we could do without.

He has been nothing short of disgraceful with his weak, passionless performances all season.

Nearly every game ive seen from him he has jogged about and not ran or ripped past players like he did last season.

Id sooner see a McClean in all day long
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #953 on: March 12, 2018, 04:14:04 PM »

I said after the Southampton game where he completely bottled the tackle that lead to their first goal that I wouldn't pick him again and I stand by it. If he is here next season I will be extremely annoyed.

Being an awful footballer is one thing, being a gutless, spineless coward is unforgivable. It just so happens that this lad is both.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #954 on: March 12, 2018, 04:20:08 PM »
I recall the press and he who shall not be named in a cap telling us that "Matty is a confidence player", well we now know that he is a lazy feckless f@$ker who couldn't give a damn, he needs to be gone ASAP, the time for making excuses for any of this squad has come and gone, Taxi for phillips please, cheers Gareth!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

mrmojorisin

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #955 on: March 12, 2018, 04:32:18 PM »
I think we will be the third club he has been relegated with.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #956 on: April 21, 2018, 03:24:55 PM »
I thought he was our Man of the Match, not afraid of taking on defenders and more often than not getting past them and getting his cross in. Agreed he is inconsistent, but credit due that on his day he is one of the best wingers in the Prem.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #957 on: April 21, 2018, 03:33:54 PM »
I thought he was our Man of the Match, not afraid of taking on defenders and more often than not getting past them and getting his cross in. Agreed he is inconsistent, but credit due that on his day he is one of the best wingers in the Prem.

Unfortunately he's been anonymous throughout most of his time here apart from the odd brief thing here and there. Playing for his move away in front of the cameras

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #958 on: April 21, 2018, 03:37:18 PM »
Unfortunately he's been anonymous throughout most of his time here apart from the odd brief thing here and there. Playing for his move away in front of the cameras
Not convinced its the move thing , he hung around QPR long enough. For me its the constant confidence thing , arm around him. Frankly I'm sick of that.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #959 on: April 21, 2018, 03:42:20 PM »
Not convinced its the move thing , he hung around QPR long enough. For me its the constant confidence thing , arm around him. Frankly I'm sick of that.

Possibly hung around nwe were doing our usual of tracking a player for 3 years before we sign them. Won't be sorry to see him and few others go.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #960 on: April 21, 2018, 05:05:15 PM »
Has looked a mixture of disinterested waster and a headless chicken for most of the season with an occasional flash of something better. Looks entirely like the player he was at QPR. Would like to be shot of him but I doubt anyone will be in for him. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #961 on: April 21, 2018, 05:08:09 PM »
Agree with the above, whilst he clearly has the ability and had a good game today, you've got to question the application. If he can't apply himself when we're fighting for survival in the Premier League, I doubt we'll see much application next season.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #962 on: April 21, 2018, 09:46:50 PM »
I'm in the minority of 1 I think! I think has often been our only outlet in one poor team performance after another.

I think everybody is being brutal on him.

But he did clearly shirk a challenge in game I forget that led to a goal against and that was poor.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #963 on: April 21, 2018, 10:03:23 PM »
Make that 2 Lewis. I think he's genuinely exciting when he's on form. If he played like that every week he'd be in a top 6 side.

I remember the challenge thing.  I didn't object because I could see what he was attempting and he's done the same thing since.  He just tried to nick the ball past the defender as the defender commits. If it comes off it's great as he has a clear run.  If not then it can look like he's bottled the challenge.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #964 on: April 23, 2018, 12:12:54 PM »
I think the only time he has looked good in our shirt was November to February last season - on top of that wave of good results and confidence.  He was much better on Saturday than he has at any point this season, and that's reflected by stats of 1 goal and 2 assists for the season.

I am also unable to forgive him for the cowardice he has shown time and time again - bottling out of challenges and failing to engage defenders.  This will only be worse in the Championship where the defenders are much less subtle.

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #965 on: April 23, 2018, 02:00:37 PM »
He has to be in the bunch that leaves. I think we've seen the best in limited spells and certainly the worst.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #966 on: April 23, 2018, 08:34:00 PM »
Make that 2 Lewis. I think he's genuinely exciting when he's on form. If he played like that every week he'd be in a top 6 side.

I remember the challenge thing.  I didn't object because I could see what he was attempting and he's done the same thing since.  He just tried to nick the ball past the defender as the defender commits. If it comes off it's great as he has a clear run.  If not then it can look like he's bottled the challenge.
Yeah I agree on the nick the ball past the defender point. I'm not saying that Phillips is one of them but a lot of skilled players around Europe would do the same type of thing rather than going in like a defender / DM / McLean. Chadli does the same.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #967 on: April 26, 2018, 09:31:29 AM »
Yeah I agree on the nick the ball past the defender point. I'm not saying that Phillips is one of them but a lot of skilled players around Europe would do the same type of thing rather than going in like a defender / DM / McLean. Chadli does the same.
Yeah, I think that's the difference.  What Phillips (tried in that instance, but it has come off in the past) would have led to a really good attacking situation - there would have been space to run into, the defender out of it and himself still on his feet.  If he'd gone in like McClean would, nothing would have come of it because he'd have been grounded and the ball would have been off some where else.  I feel like it's a bit harsh to constantly bring up him pulling out of challenges on the basis of that, even more so when he gets the blame despite the rest of the team having ample opportunity to get themselves organised to defend.

We want players to get us on our feet and excited, to run at the opposition.  When we have someone who tries that and it doesn't come off every time I don't like to get on their backs.  I'd rather see that than just diving into every challenge.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #968 on: April 27, 2018, 09:25:42 AM »

And make it three. Last two coaches simply didn't know how to use the squad they had. Brunty was right we should not be in the position we are in - I'm not for a minute saying I don't hold the players accountable for their performances this season but it's been like an orchestra without a conductor all year.

Well, we had a conductor but he was helping to park the bus.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #969 on: April 27, 2018, 11:14:27 AM »
And make it three. Last two coaches simply didn't know how to use the squad they had. Brunty was right we should not be in the position we are in - I'm not for a minute saying I don't hold the players accountable for their performances this season but it's been like an orchestra without a conductor all year.

Well, we had a conductor but he was helping to park the bus.

And when the club entrusted the bus to a village idiot the wheels well and truly came off  :-X .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #970 on: August 07, 2018, 10:04:38 PM »
Great finish tonight, has certainly looked one of our better players so far. Probably found his level and looks better physically this season too.

Not sure about the hand behind the ear celebration to our fans though. Any criticism to the team and him has been rightly deserved in recent times.

mig

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #971 on: August 07, 2018, 10:16:37 PM »
Yes, well done Matty - earned us a point from nothing tonight. Clearly has the ability to tear this league apart but needs a manager who will make the most of his talents. Sadly that's not DM.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #972 on: August 07, 2018, 10:22:26 PM »
Our best player so far this season. Helps we are front foot more at this level. Good goal tonight and lively all round.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #973 on: August 07, 2018, 10:23:07 PM »
Played well tonight, looks interested at the moment which is more than he did last season, absolute belting goal

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #974 on: August 07, 2018, 10:24:25 PM »
Yes, well done Matty - earned us a point from nothing tonight. Clearly has the ability to tear this league apart but needs a manager who will make the most of his talents. Sadly that's not DM.

and how do you come to that conclusion?
MAGA!