Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 408903 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #900 on: February 04, 2018, 06:32:27 AM »

When?

He played wide right against Leicester away last year, and from memory continued to play wide right for the next four months?

No played wide left at Leicester man of the match played there for the next few weeks was excellent went back to the right has been indifferent since.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #901 on: February 04, 2018, 08:32:56 AM »
He's not a footballer he's an athlete who plays football, he has the raw physical ability but no footballing brain. He just a better version of James McClean

A much better version to be fair !!!
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #902 on: February 04, 2018, 12:06:59 PM »
We were saying the same thing last season before he was dropped by Pulis. He's a confidence player and I think needs a bit of time out of the team to come back and prove a point. Unfortunately we can't exactly afford to not have him in the side at the moment.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #903 on: February 04, 2018, 12:15:16 PM »
give burke a go phillips has been pooh of late and to pull out of that 50-50 shows to me bloke aint up for scrap.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #904 on: February 04, 2018, 12:18:28 PM »
give burke a go phillips has been rubbish of late and to pull out of that 50-50 shows to me bloke aint up for scrap.

That did it me as well.
In our situation we want players to die for the cause not pussy foot about
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #905 on: February 04, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »
I  think some of the criticism of Phillips here is a bit harsh  and exaggerated. Like alot of wingers, he has bad games. But he's one of the few players we have who's got the pace and skill to go past his full back and get good crosses in, which he did yesterday first half. I think too much is being made of his losing a 50/50 tackle. Nearly every opposition goal is the result of an error in the lead up, poor pass, poor ball control, whatever. As a winger his main jobs are to get behind the defenders and deliver dangerous crosses, and get on the scoresheet. I cannot see how Burke would be an improvement. All I've seen from him is speed. I haven't actually seen him do anything with the ball. Phillips is by far our best attacking wide player, unless you count Brunt, who is now more of a wide midfielder.  But agree that yesterday was one of his poorer games.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #906 on: February 04, 2018, 02:41:48 PM »
give burke a go phillips has been rubbish of late and to pull out of that 50-50 shows to me bloke aint up for scrap.

So that means the other 6 guys who didn't close lemina down for his goal ain't up for the game as they just stood there.

Like Alex1 has said, some of the stuff on this thread is exaggerated and people are just crying out for someone to blame for a very embarrassing team performance.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #907 on: February 04, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »
So that means the other 6 guys who didn't close lemina down for his goal ain't up for the game as they just stood there.

Like Alex1 has said, some of the stuff on this thread is exaggerated and people are just crying out for someone to blame for a very embarrassing team performance.
Phillips has been useless for a while and needs to be droped, has done nothing of note since his purple patch of last season, id give Burke a chance because to be honest he doesnt deserve a starting berth.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #908 on: February 04, 2018, 03:25:42 PM »
All a bit over the top this. If he's a confidence player then I do hope he's not reading this. On his day he's a match winner. Yesterday he had a nightmare. It happens. Lets move on and support him. Id rather have a fit and firing Phillips.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #909 on: February 04, 2018, 03:52:02 PM »
He was poor yesterday but certainly one of our best players. Anyone calling him useless is, well frankly, useless.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #910 on: February 04, 2018, 04:03:29 PM »
All a bit over the top this. If he's a confidence player then I do hope he's not reading this. On his day he's a match winner. Yesterday he had a nightmare. It happens. Lets move on and support him. Id rather have a fit and firing Phillips.
Can't have many days if we' ve only won 3 league games !!!!!!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #911 on: February 04, 2018, 04:30:02 PM »
I  think some of the criticism of Phillips here is a bit harsh  and exaggerated. Like alot of wingers, he has bad games. But he's one of the few players we have who's got the pace and skill to go past his full back and get good crosses in, which he did yesterday first half. I think too much is being made of his losing a 50/50 tackle. Nearly every opposition goal is the result of an error in the lead up, poor pass, poor ball control, whatever. As a winger his main jobs are to get behind the defenders and deliver dangerous crosses, and get on the scoresheet. I cannot see how Burke would be an improvement. All I've seen from him is speed. I haven't actually seen him do anything with the ball. Phillips is by far our best attacking wide player, unless you count Brunt, who is now more of a wide midfielder.  But agree that yesterday was one of his poorer games.

I take your point about wingers and bad games, they're generally an inconsistent bunch and it's only the great wingers who perform week after week - Overmars, Ronaldo, Bale, Giggs, Hazard, etc.

That said, Phillips has been poor for a while and we're so reliant on an outlet and pace on the break. I actually think Burke would be an upgrade. He's very raw but I don't think he lacks confidence. His first thought is to attack and carry the ball/get in behind. I don't think he'd be a bad shout next week against Chelsea. He'll have the beating of any of their 3 man defence if he gets behind.

As would an in-form Phillips but on recent evidence he's not offering that.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #912 on: February 04, 2018, 04:38:28 PM »
Phillips has been useless for a while and needs to be droped, has done nothing of note since his purple patch of last season, id give Burke a chance because to be honest he doesnt deserve a starting berth.

Speaks volumes when one of our better players are classed as useless.

Then who would you replace Burke with after he hasn't made miracles happen after being given a good run?

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #913 on: February 04, 2018, 04:56:50 PM »
Speaks volumes when one of our better players are classed as useless .

Then who would you replace Burke with after he hasn't made miracles happen after being given a good run?
id say he`s useless in a team that has won 3 games out of possible 26, and id give Burke a chance which phillips has had

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #914 on: February 04, 2018, 05:34:42 PM »
id say he`s useless in a team that has won 3 games out of possible 26, and id give Burke a chance which phillips has had

I agree Burke needs a chance, but if your theory was to go by we would need another 10 players to replace the rest that have been in a team that's only won 3 out of 26 games.

Phillips is just the scapegoat atm, one good run into the box or assist and everyone's attitude changes..... like always.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #915 on: February 04, 2018, 05:40:55 PM »
Phillips is just the scapegoat atm, one good run into the box or assist and everyone's attitude changes..... like always.
Agreed, but chickening out of what I thought was actually a 60-40 challenge in his favour will endear him to no-one. We do need him in the side and firing though, as we don't have enough pace throughout the rest of the squad.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #916 on: February 04, 2018, 05:59:33 PM »
Growing tired of Phillips , he's got all the tools to be a real handful but either vanishes from games , pulls up injured or runs straight into the fullback yet again. His main strength is early crossing but gets one in 8 of those right , his finishing is poor too ( watch how many times he hits it straight at the keeper ).
Nothing to do with making a scapegoat , I'm convinced its a mental thing with Phillips but overall he's simply not been good enough and thats not even mentioning the tackles he bottled Yesterday.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 06:04:08 PM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #917 on: February 04, 2018, 06:36:13 PM »
Utterly shambolic disgraceful performance yesterday, should be ashamed of himself but wont be because he picked up his wages so nothing changes, no motivation, no self respect, no hope !!!
He's a lad from the Wrenna

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #918 on: February 04, 2018, 06:43:39 PM »
I agree Burke needs a chance, but if your theory was to go by we would need another 10 players to replace the rest that have been in a team that's only won 3 out of 26 games.

I completely disagree. I think people have given him a fairly easy ride though his career with us to date, unlike Rondon who has had pelters week in week out and Livermore who has received much criticism. Phillips has been nigh on useless for us other than a those two months where everything clicked for us last season. His performances this season have been lamentable and he is now rightly receiving criticism. His challenge on the halfway line yesterday was utterly embarrassing and he should have been hauled off there and then as he clearly doesn't have the stomach for the fight that we are in.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #919 on: February 04, 2018, 07:06:16 PM »
A while ag a lot of pro’s were saying he is a confidence player, that seems to be code for a luxury player and we can not afford luxury players at this time
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #920 on: February 04, 2018, 07:15:50 PM »
A while ag a lot of pro’s were saying he is a confidence player, that seems to be code for a luxury player and we can not afford luxury players at this time

So it's McLean or HRK then?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #921 on: February 04, 2018, 07:36:47 PM »
don't forget he was our best attacking player last season (feel free to suggest someone else)....also it's not as though he's been consistently rubbish this year. Yesterday was by far his worst game for the club but he doesn't deserve to become the fans No 1 target (he may have bottled a challenge but Chadli had a few of those last year).
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #922 on: February 04, 2018, 07:54:30 PM »
Maybe injury prone players tend to be less physical in their challenges as a way to not get injured.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #923 on: February 04, 2018, 07:58:53 PM »
don't forget he was our best attacking player last season (feel free to suggest someone else)....also it's not as though he's been consistently rubbish this year. Yesterday was by far his worst game for the club but he doesn't deserve to become the fans No 1 target (he may have bottled a challenge but Chadli had a few of those last year).

Totally agree Adder
Matty is a very good player who thrives on confidence. Yesterday was the worst game he has played for us but on his day is a match winner
All wingers are like this and we need him in the side and the fans behind him

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #924 on: February 04, 2018, 07:59:09 PM »
He's class. Simple as.