Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 406638 times)

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #750 on: December 06, 2016, 09:14:40 AM »
I'll say it again...he was pretty decent against Sunderland and West Ham.

Even before the Burnley game he had created more chances than anyone else in our side (stat used by Sky). Note, that's chances not assists ...assists rely on someone finishing it off.

Sunderland I may accept as I was not there, but certainly not West Ham. Got fortunate that a cross he over hit and was going nowhere was handled by that chap for the penalty and his pressing caused a ricochet to fall to Chadli in the box who set Rondon up, but his overall play that game was poor.

The Leicester game certainly brought about a change in him and gave him confidence and he hasn't looked back since. Long may it continue as he is fast becoming one of our most important players.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #751 on: December 06, 2016, 05:40:31 PM »
Sunderland I may accept as I was not there, but certainly not West Ham. Got fortunate that a cross he over hit and was going nowhere was handled by that chap for the penalty and his pressing caused a ricochet to fall to Chadli in the box who set Rondon up, but his overall play that game was poor.

The Leicester game certainly brought about a change in him and gave him confidence and he hasn't looked back since. Long may it continue as he is fast becoming one of our most important players.
We'll disagree on the West Ham game ....he skinned the infamous West Ham fullback in the first 10 seconds and got a good low cross in....could say set the tone for a positive 1st half for us. My main point is that in my view his early performances were nowhere near as bad as a few are making out...and that stat re chances created backs this up.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #752 on: December 07, 2016, 09:23:29 AM »
He has set the bar of expectation for us,Pulis and himself now. With flare players it's all about confidence, if you have the confidence to try something 8 times out of 10 it will come off, lack confidence and it might come off 4 times out of 10.
Confidence divides the brilliant from the average.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #753 on: December 07, 2016, 10:55:28 AM »
how come he cant get a game for his country, scotland lol
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #754 on: December 07, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »

Strachan clearly doesn't think he fits into his system.
That or he's scouted him when he isn't playing well.

It doesn't really concern me though.
What would concern me is if Strachan picked him, used him ineffectively and upset Matt's run of form.

I am not Gordon Strachan's greatest supporter.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #755 on: December 07, 2016, 12:51:38 PM »

That was brought up on MOTD. Strachan is a masturbator anyway,always has been. Never liked him when he managed Coventry and they played the big club taking Hughes off us. How much i laughed to see them evicted from their own ground, go down to the third division and get saddled with Mowbray. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #756 on: December 07, 2016, 01:14:18 PM »
Strachan is a masturbator anyway,always has been. Never liked him when he managed Coventry and they played the big club taking Hughes off us.

I cannot stand Strachan. Arrogant, jumped up little tosser. The press conference when Hughes signed for them was truly cringe worthy too, with Strachan's smarmy comment about throwing the extra pound in to trigger the release clause and Hughes giggling away like a bashful school girl.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #757 on: December 07, 2016, 01:15:40 PM »
Dislike Strachan also, but always have to admire the time a reporter asked him for a quick word and he replied 'velocity'.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #758 on: December 07, 2016, 01:28:36 PM »
Dislike Strachan also, but always have to admire the time a reporter asked him for a quick word and he replied 'velocity'.

I have to admit that I laughed out loud when I heard about that  :) .

He has a very quick dry humour which I like, unfortunately he can be a really snotty git with it.

I'd probably warm to him more if he didn't look like he had dog sh it permanently smeared up his nostrils and wobble his head like wee Jimmy Sturgeon when he talks.

Never mind  8) .

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #759 on: December 11, 2016, 02:59:50 PM »
You really have to laugh at the idea of Phillips representing Scotland. He's about as Scots as he is Ukranian. He comes from Aylesbury, close to where I live and started with the local team Wycombe Wanderers. At least Fletcher speaks with a Scots accent.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #760 on: December 11, 2016, 03:03:48 PM »
Hope games like today don't dent his confidence. Couldn't beat his man and kept trying a nutmeg. Hopefully see him back to his best against Swansea, although will he have to track back more than usual due to having a different left back than usual? Can see Swansea targeting the two full backs

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #761 on: December 11, 2016, 08:21:23 PM »
Azpilicueta is one of the most accomplished full backs / wide centre backs in the Prem. No harm in Matty having a poor game against him. Was more of a shame that we couldn't make more of the 2 vs 1 on the right

He/him

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #762 on: December 11, 2016, 08:35:40 PM »
You really have to laugh at the idea of Phillips representing Scotland. He's about as Scots as he is Ukranian. He comes from Aylesbury, close to where I live and started with the local team Wycombe Wanderers. At least Fletcher speaks with a Scots accent.

What about Morrison then?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #763 on: December 11, 2016, 08:37:08 PM »
Hope games like today don't dent his confidence. Couldn't beat his man and kept trying a nutmeg. Hopefully see him back to his best against Swansea, although will he have to track back more than usual due to having a different left back than usual? Can see Swansea targeting the two full backs

Is young Wilson injured?  I'd rather see him at right back and keep Nyom at left back v Swansea

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #764 on: December 12, 2016, 12:28:17 AM »
Is young Wilson injured?  I'd rather see him at right back and keep Nyom at left back v Swansea

Either way it'll be a new full back, and if I were the opponent that's where I'd be targeting. By focusing on the full back it also means our winger is more occupied with defending rather than attacking

Powelly

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #765 on: December 12, 2016, 12:00:05 PM »
What about Morrison then?

He was born up north at least  :D

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #766 on: December 12, 2016, 12:17:08 PM »

That'll be because he's Scottish, born in Dalkeith near Edinburgh.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #767 on: December 12, 2016, 06:52:43 PM »
That'll be because he's Scottish, born in Dalkeith near Edinburgh.

I think that's the point I'm making!
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #768 on: December 12, 2016, 10:04:54 PM »
He has the same qualification as Morrison i.e Scottish Grand Parents. So he doesn't have to speak like Rab C Nesbitt.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #769 on: December 13, 2016, 07:59:48 AM »
I think that's the point I'm making!

Didn't read like that; seemed you were suggesting that Fletcher was born in England but at least speaks with a Scottish accent. My mistake.

Back to your original point though it's only as odd as John Barnes, Raheem Sterling, Terry Butcher and Berahino playing for England as none of them was born in England.

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #770 on: December 13, 2016, 06:58:03 PM »
Just set me thinking ... who was the last English qualified player to score for us?
Can't recall one this season  ::)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #771 on: December 13, 2016, 07:00:41 PM »
probably Dawson

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #772 on: December 13, 2016, 07:01:23 PM »
Just set me thinking ... who was the last English qualified player to score for us?

Dawson or Berahino last season

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #773 on: December 13, 2016, 07:43:35 PM »

Craig Dawson v's Spurs April 26th 2016.

The last English qualified player to score before him was Craig Gardner v's Leicester on March 1st 2016.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/west-brom-albion/2015-16/top-scorers.html

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #774 on: December 13, 2016, 07:59:36 PM »
Could work on his crossing but I am glad he is in the team/squad.