Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 409771 times)

graka

• Senior Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #675 on: August 24, 2016, 09:17:28 AM »
For me he's a slightly better MacLean. Neither should be in a decent premier league team but good to have on the bench.
But I would prefer either out wide in front of gardener.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #676 on: August 24, 2016, 09:21:27 AM »
For me he's a slightly better MacLean. Neither should be in a decent premier league team but good to have on the bench.
But I would prefer either out wide in front of gardener.

He's about the same standard as McClean. Like you say shouldn't be near the starting XI
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #677 on: August 24, 2016, 03:36:48 PM »
Thought he looked a decent prospect at Blackpool, seems very mixed time at QPR, jury very much out for me, not impressed so far but we'll see.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #678 on: August 24, 2016, 03:55:12 PM »
I think he's a good player. Decent combination of strength and pace with footballing ability. It's obviously hard for him when he's screamed at to sit on top of the full back and has no pace or options to hit when he gets the ball. Good player and I have no fears of our right side with him in front of Dawson. Leko in front of Galloway would also be interesting on the left but Tone prefers Gardner infront of Evans  :o

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #679 on: August 24, 2016, 03:58:24 PM »
Hopefully the jury can stay out on him until he's had at least a dozen games to settle in and prove himself.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #680 on: August 24, 2016, 04:01:10 PM »
People dubbed rondon the next ideye brown last season....

Unbelivable. 3 games.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #681 on: August 24, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »
People dubbed rondon the next ideye brown last season....

Unbelivable. 3 games.

I'm taking him as I see him, he barely pulled up trees at QPR. We chased this bloke nearly two years.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #682 on: August 24, 2016, 04:33:23 PM »
I'm taking him as I see him, he barely pulled up trees at QPR. We chased this bloke nearly two years.
He did have a pretty good goals and assists record in the premier league for QPR.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #683 on: August 24, 2016, 04:34:43 PM »
Looked awful against Everton, but I will certainly give him more than the one chance to impress, and would be tempted to wait until we have a new manager before judging.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #684 on: August 24, 2016, 04:49:27 PM »
Looked awful against Everton, but I will certainly give him more than the one chance to impress, and would be tempted to wait until we have a new manager before judging.
Another one that is playing an alien role. He is a forward thinking player having to prioritise his defensive duties, fish out of water.
Similar to Rondon, in that we won't really know how good he is until Pulis is gone and he is allowed freedom to play to his strengths.
I play golf and see all sorts of weird and wonderful swings (my own included) but, if you tried to change them the results would be catastrophic. Sometimes you have to let people do what comes naturally.
I'm not saying we should have 11 blokes, all doing their own thing, there has to be a plan, but during the game, they should have an element of freedom, rather than being micro managed as they are now.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #685 on: October 23, 2016, 11:17:55 AM »
Yet to see him do anything resembling quality...... Was very underwhelmed when we signed him as he's essentially an average championship player. What are other people's thoughts on Matt 'E' Phillips only he seems to be the invisible man on the pitch and off.

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #686 on: October 23, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »
I don't think he is any better than mcmanaman and is another 5 million wasted by pulis

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #687 on: October 23, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »
Yep, extremely underwhelmed to be honest. Not shown anything for me.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #688 on: October 23, 2016, 12:11:13 PM »
I've yet too see anything I would call quality about him he is a player that will help defend to me and is strong positionally

Dare I say it McManaman has more attacking quality and a better final ball it annoys me he doesn't get a look in

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #689 on: October 23, 2016, 12:17:49 PM »
basically another defender,stays in position well,mac offers more going forward as did sess

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #690 on: October 23, 2016, 12:31:24 PM »
I've yet too see anything I would call quality about him he is a player that will help defend to me and is strong positionally

Dare I say it McManaman has more attacking quality and a better final ball it annoys me he doesn't get a look in
Matt Phillips is stronger and taller than him, that's all. This team doesn't need attacking quality. :)
The PRIDE of midlands

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #691 on: October 23, 2016, 12:39:17 PM »
He's been underwhelming in the last 2 games ....until then I thought he was doing quite well.
Comparison with McManaman......for me Phillips final ball is better (he's put in some decent balls to dangerous areas, we are just not very good at getting men in the box and on the end of things).
If McManaman was given regular games, I somehow doubt he'd complete 3 games without getting injured. McManaman on his day is sharp over 20 yards whereas Phillips is more of an up and down the pitch man a bit like McLean....obviously Pulis prefers this.
Phillips needs to show more conviction and determination when he gets the ball than he did yesterday.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #692 on: October 23, 2016, 12:42:35 PM »
Jury very much out with him.
Seemed like he had fitted in ok but not really showing much quality or ability to change games which has been very disappointing.
Yet to score as well.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #693 on: October 23, 2016, 12:50:15 PM »
a pale shadow of the player he was at blackpool,has he been found out?gimme leko any time over him

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #694 on: October 23, 2016, 12:58:05 PM »
I said a few weeks ago, he was underwhelming, he is sort of okay, but no better, not the same quality as Brunt.
Baggie in Southampton

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #695 on: October 23, 2016, 01:09:10 PM »
Leko is the better player, in my humble opinion.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #696 on: October 23, 2016, 01:49:26 PM »
I won't judge any attacking players in our current squad due to the fact that they are given little to no chance to express themselves and are then expected to turn it on after spending the previous 25 minutes chasing a fullback.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #697 on: October 23, 2016, 03:39:19 PM »
Seems a bit gash ATM but as others have said rarely get to see if he has nay actual attacking qualities
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #698 on: October 23, 2016, 04:07:45 PM »
I think it is telling that during the 2 years we were monitoring him, no one else came in for him.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #699 on: October 23, 2016, 06:13:44 PM »
People wrote off rondon this time last year. Let's give the new batch of signings time.

Phillips is only 25 as well, still got many years to improve.