Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 409088 times)

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #550 on: July 04, 2016, 02:35:29 PM »
Sky Sports News twitter now reporting that we've agreed a £5.5M fee.

PAUL Suart on twitter
https://twitter.com/PaulSuartWBA/status/749948455938846720?s=04

But im thinking what happens if he fails his medical or fails to agree terms?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #551 on: July 04, 2016, 02:39:22 PM »
PAUL Suart on twitter
https://twitter.com/PaulSuartWBA/status/749948455938846720?s=04

But im thinking what happens if he fails his medical or fails to agree terms?

Then we move on. There's nothing great about him anyway. If Albion had any sort of ambition and wanted to sign a winger they'd have gone after Andros Townsend. Instead it's the usual cheap, unambitious option.  Our fans are that desperate they get reasonably excited about a player like Phillips. It's sad.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #552 on: July 04, 2016, 02:49:06 PM »

Then we move on. There's nothing great about him anyway. If Albion had any sort of ambition and wanted to sign a winger they'd have gone after Andros Townsend. Instead it's the usual cheap, unambitious option.  Our fans are that desperate they get reasonably excited about a player like Phillips. It's sad.

Agree with this. Nail on the head, very little ambition
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #553 on: July 04, 2016, 02:52:36 PM »
We did go for Townsend but he simply wanted a move back to London

Nothing we could of done

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #554 on: July 04, 2016, 02:56:04 PM »
We did go for Townsend but he simply wanted a move back to London

Nothing we could of done

He wouldn't come to Albion because we have no ambition and we are seen as as small fish. No quality player would come to Albion because we cannot / will not go anywhere near to matching their ambition.

I'm a lifelong Albion fan and if I was a player I would choose almost any Premier League club to join ahead of Albion because what's in it for me?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 03:42:38 PM by B_H_Baggie »

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #555 on: July 04, 2016, 03:02:23 PM »

He wouldn't come to Albion because we have no ambition and we are seen as as small fish. No quality player would come to Albion because we cannot / will not go anywhere near to matching their ambition.

I'm a lifelong Albion fan and if I was a player I would choose almost any Premier League club to join ahead of Albion because what's in it for me?

Money.

Simple as that, offer a player enough money and they will come.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 03:42:52 PM by B_H_Baggie »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #556 on: July 04, 2016, 03:07:29 PM »
Money.

Exactly. Money (largely) equals ambition.

This must go to London thing is utter bllx. Does anyone think Townsend would've turned down Liverpool, or Man Utd or Man City?  Everton, Southampton?

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #557 on: July 04, 2016, 03:22:09 PM »
Judging by fan reaction on social media, QPR seem to think they've had our pants down and Matt Phillips is sh*te.

Lovely stuff

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #558 on: July 04, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »
Judging by fan reaction on social media, QPR seem to think they've had our pants down and Matt Phillips is sh*te.

Lovely stuff

I've never seen him as anything amazing, has surprised me that we have been so adamant on bringing him in. Does remind me of the Gardner, Baird sagas, both of those were bang average too.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #559 on: July 04, 2016, 03:28:50 PM »
I think the final 4-5 months of QPR season in the premier league when he seemed to be the only one trying to get them out the mess has done him the world of good.

Ill give the lad a fair crack at the whip and will take QPR fans comment with a pinch of salt.

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #560 on: July 04, 2016, 03:34:41 PM »
Is Townsend much better than Phillips though?

In Phillips' one Premier League season he got 8 assists. In Townsend's whole Premier League career he's only managed 7 assists.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #561 on: July 04, 2016, 03:37:36 PM »
Some of you lot make me laugh the lad aint signed yet and some of you are slagging him off,when/if he becomes a baggie I will be right behind  him 100%as I have been with aii our signings good or bad.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 04:24:31 PM by MarkW »

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #562 on: July 04, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »

spot on average player again

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #563 on: July 04, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »
I'll get behind him 100% and think he could offer us a great deal. However, I'm just sceptical we will get another plodder , McClean , Gardner, etc etc.

On a positive note, three years ago around this time we had just signed Anelka  :o

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #564 on: July 04, 2016, 03:44:36 PM »

Lovely stuff
I remember the Ipswich fans saying that years ago with Gaardsoe who turned out to be a quality defender. Social media is full of loudmouth 'fans' for every club, you could guarentee some Juventus fans would be calling Pogba useless if he went to Man Utd next week.

Personally I think Phillips is a sensible signing. I wouldn't compare him to McManaman as he came with known injury/fitness problems whilst some Wigan fans questioned his attitude, whereas Phillips is more rounded in my view.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #565 on: July 04, 2016, 04:02:22 PM »
QPR fans are happy to be selling fer when he's a proven prem player and had a good end of season for Swansea, the Swansea fans are happy to see him back

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #566 on: July 04, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »
Money.

No they will not, most want to play in Manchester or London, we have always shopped from the lower shelves, Cyrille Regis from Hayes, Laurie Cunningham from Orient, Paul Mariner chose Ipswich ahead of us, never been any different.

The only way we will get top grade players is if we qualify for Europe by developing our youth but even then, with FFP we will not be able to compete.
Baggie in Southampton

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #567 on: July 04, 2016, 04:05:36 PM »
Townsend forced through a move to palace, didn't he show great loyalty to Newcastle? H wasn't good enough for spurs or England.

Phillips could of forced q move past summer but didn't. Hes at a good age as well

WednesburyAlbion

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #568 on: July 04, 2016, 04:10:13 PM »
On the fact alone that he has pace excites me. In a hard working team he could flourish.

Very sensible transfer amount & Only 25, hopefully replaces Sessegnon, which shouldn't be difficult to do.

Watton...!

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #569 on: July 04, 2016, 04:45:45 PM »
No matter what happens you will never please some fans, can't believe some of the comments.
Neil Clement: 300 Appearances spanning over a decade, a true Albion legend

wbatillidie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #570 on: July 04, 2016, 05:41:38 PM »
Not a bad start to the window if we can get this done. He's certainly a better winger than McClean and Gardner and £5 million isn't a bad price at all.

I hope there will be a more marquee type signing on the left side of midfield or for the #10 role though.
"You'll never get past Claudio"

Bigrob80

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #571 on: July 04, 2016, 05:48:33 PM »
I hope he signs as I think this is a sensible signing at a reasonable price (prem league standards) if he works he will be a great signing and should work well with our set up!
Hope it all goes through ok from now! 👍🏻👍🏻

DanSinar Odemwingie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #572 on: July 04, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHnFTRPnKEU

i know you never go off a youtube clip (el ghannasy) but of what ive seen hes a improvement on what we have, id be happy if signs

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #573 on: July 04, 2016, 06:19:55 PM »
Townsend forced through a move to palace, didn't he show great loyalty to Newcastle? H wasn't good enough for spurs or England.

Phillips could of forced q move past summer but didn't. Hes at a good age as well

Seriously  :o :o :o

He should have not only been in the squad, he should have been starting over Sterling

Townsend is a quality player and I'm gutted we didnt get him.

Not overly confident in Phillips, will support him and hope he does do well should he sign, from what I have seen there is a decent player in there and he can tackle and drive forward too.

Heres hoping
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #574 on: July 04, 2016, 06:22:21 PM »
From what I've seen of him he has to be an improvement on Sess, McLean and Gardner out wide, no question.

I would still like another top quality winger to play on the other wing though, with Leko coming off the bench if required.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......