Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 409133 times)

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #275 on: August 05, 2015, 11:47:32 PM »
If you are going to play with 2 wingers then you need at least 3 in the squad (one of whom can play both sides). I guess Brunt could be classed as a fourth option but that would involve buying a new LB which I can't see happening. For me McLean & Mcmanaman are solid Championship players but can they do it week in week out in the Prem. I have my doubts which is why you need the extra competition. Signing Sako on a free was a no brainer and should have been wrapped up last week IMO.

As for Phillips it will go to the wire. Lets just hope he doesn't get injured before deadline day or another team stump up the cash.

So signing a player who has never played higher than the Championship is your answer?

I rather think there is more things happening of which we yet know nothing.
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Albionsteve

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #276 on: August 06, 2015, 07:32:18 AM »
I always laugh when people talk about players that haven't played in the top league so aren't good buys.  Remind me again where Cyrille and Laurie came from?

If the manager (which Pulis is, far more say than a "first team coach"), sees all the qualities he wants, from skills to personal attributes, the player is "good enough".
There's no I in Team, but there is a ME if you look hard enough!

Albionsteve

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #277 on: August 06, 2015, 07:44:26 AM »
By the way, anything on Matt Phillips in this thread?
There's no I in Team, but there is a ME if you look hard enough!

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #278 on: August 06, 2015, 08:06:20 AM »
They don't seem the least bit bothered by not signing Sako. With that in mind they must be confident of getting better, one possibility could be that they have a deal lined up for someone that they can't complete until the selling club have signed a replacement . It certainly wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

What if they don't sign a replacement? It's happened very recently with Carlton Cole. It's a massive risk hoping for others to do business first. How many times have we heard the line 'we ran out of time'?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #279 on: August 06, 2015, 09:14:17 AM »
They don't seem the least bit bothered by not signing Sako. With that in mind they must be confident of getting better, one possibility could be that they have a deal lined up for someone that they can't complete until the selling club have signed a replacement . It certainly wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.
How do we know ? The club are hardly likely to come out with a 'we are gutted' statement.....we did show sufficient interest to give the bloke a medical and agree terms apparently.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #280 on: August 06, 2015, 11:13:21 AM »
But the signing is not expected to end Albion’s pursuit of QPR wideman Matt Phillips, who has been a leading target throughout the summer.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2015/08/06/serge-gnabry-set-to-sign-for-albion-today/

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #281 on: August 06, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
If we don't sign Phillips after all this time we are going to look very silly. Why do we expect QPR to lower their price?
If we don't think he is worth £10m then we should have signed Sako.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #282 on: August 06, 2015, 11:34:56 AM »
If we don't sign Phillips after all this time we are going to look very silly. Why do we expect QPR to lower their price?

They are going to accept £5m, gift wrap him and drive him up here on dealine day!  :D

We'll be revisiting this one in January IMO that is providing no one else signs him.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #283 on: August 06, 2015, 11:40:23 AM »

because don't they have some pretty major problems with over spending and financial irregularities?

They will need to "fix" their books before the transfer window closes regardless of what they are saying now
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #284 on: August 06, 2015, 11:55:02 AM »
It's a game of brinkmanship that's being played out.

I can't imagine Matty Phillips wouldn't want to play in the EPL, IMO he will go somewhere, &, as the end of the window gets closer, he will increasingly force the issue.

At the moment nobody seems to want to pay QPR's asking price for him, but if they do relent, & he comes into our price-range, chances are he will also come into another clubs'. The danger then, as I see it, is QPR selling to another club out of spite.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #285 on: August 06, 2015, 12:27:08 PM »
I have to say i don't buy into this "QPR have to sell" stuff !

Tony Fernandez is personally worth £650m and owns Asia Airlines (or at least he did). If he wants to play hard ball with Jezza there is only one winner and it ain't the bald one.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #286 on: August 06, 2015, 12:41:15 PM »
My worry is that we pin our hopes on him and he goes elsewhere. He could also get injured in the meantime as QPR play 6 games before the end of the window.

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #287 on: August 06, 2015, 01:50:49 PM »
I have to say i don't buy into this "QPR have to sell" stuff !

Tony Fernandez is personally worth £650m and owns Asia Airlines (or at least he did). If he wants to play hard ball with Jezza there is only one winner and it ain't the bald one.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/22707/9844856/qpr-financial-situation-qa-explaining-why-they-face-a-huge-fine

Basically they need to sell to avoid a huge fine. Their chairman's personal wealth wiped off £60m worth of their losses, but that's not allowed in the FFP rules. They've released a lot of players and are sending Caulker and Fer out on loan to bring the wage bill down. But there's still another £20-30m needed to be found.

The easiest way for that is to get around £25m for Phillips and Austin. But if no clubs are willing to pay that much they would be forced to accept £18-20m for the pair to bring in as much income as possible. They would still get a fine, but it would be smaller and less of a hit to the club's finances.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #288 on: August 06, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/22707/9844856/qpr-financial-situation-qa-explaining-why-they-face-a-huge-fine

Basically they need to sell to avoid a huge fine. Their chairman's personal wealth wiped off £60m worth of their losses, but that's not allowed in the FFP rules. They've released a lot of players and are sending Caulker and Fer out on loan to bring the wage bill down. But there's still another £20-30m needed to be found.

The easiest way for that is to get around £25m for Phillips and Austin. But if no clubs are willing to pay that much they would be forced to accept £18-20m for the pair to bring in as much income as possible. They would still get a fine, but it would be smaller and less of a hit to the club's finances.

You still here???  ;)

now that is a good post, thanks for the clear explanation.
Albion Family !!!

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #289 on: August 06, 2015, 02:10:05 PM »

how long do they have until they are fined ?

I think a few clubs are just waiting for them to lower their demands while QPR are adamant they will only go for a set price. could make for an interesting deadline day for them

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #290 on: August 06, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »
You still here???  ;)

now that is a good post, thanks for the clear explanation.
Yes he's still  here despite you keep asking that and he will be welcome on this forum as long as he abides the rules like everybody else.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #291 on: August 06, 2015, 02:21:57 PM »
Do we need him?
McClean looks quality, McManaman and Gnabry can play either flank, throw Brunt and Berahino in the mix and perhaps TP's priorities have shifted.
Personally I would like to see another left footer.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #292 on: August 06, 2015, 02:33:21 PM »
In talks with West Ham apparently.
the regime don't like it man

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #293 on: August 06, 2015, 02:40:55 PM »
Yes he's still  here despite you keep asking that and he will be welcome on this forum as long as he abides the rules like everybody else.

Ok, Its just a joke or at least thats how its meant !
Albion Family !!!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #294 on: August 06, 2015, 02:48:20 PM »

Oh dear oh dear.

Could Phillips play through the middle?! He looked capable of that last season and people are saying we need a combative CM with a cutting edge, could he be bought in to do that and act as cover on the wings?

AshD

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #295 on: August 06, 2015, 02:48:48 PM »

Where have you seen that?

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #296 on: August 06, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »
Where have you seen that?

Just done a quick Twitter search, can't see anything.

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #297 on: August 06, 2015, 02:57:18 PM »
What a surprise ! Bloody West Ham can't stand em

AshD

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #298 on: August 06, 2015, 03:01:40 PM »
Just done a quick Twitter search, can't see anything.

Same here!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #299 on: August 06, 2015, 03:02:03 PM »
And yet @EDS_Amy (whoever she is) reckons there is dialogue between us and QPR once again.

I think we won't know until either he signs for someone, or the window shuts. Everything seems to be rumour and conjecture at the moment.

He/him