Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 406616 times)

divinewind

• WBA Coach

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2015, 07:04:23 PM »
Its all posturing. You don't go all out with a first bid or you quickly find yourself in financial trouble, you have a starting point and then negotiate from there to try and find a compromise. If we hadn't been given any encouragement from QPR and the player then we would have given up by now.

But by the same token if you are buying a house at say £100k you usually offer about £90k, you don't say i will give you £50k for it,that's a 50 percent reduction.

We knew the price they valued him at, if we were serious we would have made a first offer of £8k.

All this is smoke and mirror's by Peace again.

Megson gave him a list and then went on tour, it seems that Pulis has fallen for the same trick.

We will still be trying to sign players on August 31.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2015, 07:25:28 PM »
But by the same token if you are buying a house at say £100k you usually offer about £90k, you don't say i will give you £50k for it,that's a 50 percent reduction.

We knew the price they valued him at, if we were serious we would have made a first offer of £8k.

Megson gave him a list and then went on tour, it seems that Pulis has fallen for the same trick.

Sorry but that's ridiculous. You don't just jump in and bow down to what the selling club wants. It's all about spending wisely and offering 8 million as the opening offer for Matt Phillips is far from wise. No doubt the club are still talking with QPR and have a list of back up options in case they lose patience with the potential matt Phillips deal.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2015, 07:49:09 PM »

now that would have been a ridiculous bid!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

PepeMel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2015, 08:10:08 PM »
He will go to palace mark my words

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2015, 08:15:26 PM »
He will go to palace mark my words

Can't see him going there unless Bolasie or zaha are leaving

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2015, 08:16:05 PM »
Was going to say they have better than him.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2015, 09:31:35 PM »
Heard from a reliable source today that the players Pulis wants are of a much higher calibre than we are used to aiming for. He doesn't rate Phillips at £10m and is deciding weather to move onto a lesser player or try to haggle with a club who won't answer/return calls. This is the kind of brinkmanship that is going on at the moment.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2015, 10:51:50 PM »
I agree with that. Bolaise and Zaha were both great last season so I can't see it. Plus they just spent £12 million on Cabaye who is on around £70k p/w so I doubt they will spend much more money.
In my opinion, it's clubs like Sunderland, Newcastle and Saints who would be our main rivals for Phillips, not Palace.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2015, 05:54:49 AM »

Very good point. If they value the player at £10 million then why start the bidding at £5 million? Ultimately it achieves absolutely nothing.

Its about time we started aggressively attacking a transfer window.

Last year when Derby (who are a Championship club) wanted Thorne they refused to accept no for an answer and every few days they increased the offer.

After 6 years in the Premier League why are we still seemingly stuck in a time warp?

Remind me again, which division are Derby in?
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2015, 10:02:30 AM »
QPR want as much money as possible. It's in their best interest to pay him another months wage in the hope of getting an extra £1 or 2million if a bidding war starts.

It's the same for Austin too. Half the league are interested but nobody has been able to meet their valuation yet.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #160 on: July 12, 2015, 12:13:52 PM »

Strength in depth? I honestly think that if we do manage to agree a fee someone more attractive will match it and we lose out. I‘d rather we find this out sooner and move on.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Hayward1984

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2015, 10:00:10 AM »
Palace won't spend that sort of money on another winger - they've spent a lot of their budget on Cabaye already.
"Time to show how big our balls are." - Paul Schnarer 14th Janurary.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #162 on: July 13, 2015, 10:06:59 AM »
Palace won't spend that sort of money on another winger - they've spent a lot of their budget on Cabaye already.

I'm not sure we know what their budget is to be fair.

they have been linked with Austin at 15m. if they are willing to offer that and he goes elsewhere they suddenly have 15m spare to spend

Hayward1984

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2015, 11:22:34 AM »
Well what I'm really saying is - as they are well stocked on the wings.  Puncheon, Zaha, Bolasie to start with it's unlikely they're up for gazumping us for a winger for £10m too.  They have areas that need strengthening - just like, as you a striker.

I mean you can try and keep 4 wingers happy but unless they get long term injuries it would be pretty difficult right?

I think Philips will be ours - unless Pulis decides to go for someone else.
"Time to show how big our balls are." - Paul Schnarer 14th Janurary.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2015, 01:37:55 PM »
I'm not sure we know what their budget is to be fair.

they have been linked with Austin at 15m. if they are willing to offer that and he goes elsewhere they suddenly have 15m spare to spend

Read last week that they were going to offer QPR a deal of £6M plus players for Austin. Maybe they don't have that much money to play with.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3155146/Crystal-Palace-set-make-6m-exchange-bid-QPR-striker-Charlie-Austin-look-bolster-strikeforce.html

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2015, 08:21:29 PM »
Anichebe plus 8m or 9m for Austin

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2015, 09:13:25 PM »
Anichebe plus 8m or 9m for Austin

That would mean you value Anichebe at 6 million to match their 15 million evaluation which is absurd. If we were going to offer anichebe aswell as cash we would probably be looking at Anichebe plus 13.5 million.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2015, 08:52:30 AM »
That would mean you value Anichebe at 6 million to match their 15 million evaluation which is absurd. If we were going to offer anichebe aswell as cash we would probably be looking at Anichebe plus 13.5 million.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.
He's got interest from 9 other Premier League clubs. That fact alone will put us well down his list of prefered moves, so I'd be more than surprised to see him turn up here.
(Austin I'm talking about BTW)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2015, 08:55:09 AM »
If Austin is worth £15m, surely we'd have to give then £16m and Anichebe?

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2015, 09:03:12 AM »
If Austin is worth £15m, surely we'd have to give then £16m and Anichebe?

Yes we would as they would need to hire another club doctor.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2015, 05:09:41 PM »
£10 million for Phillips is too much and QPR are taking the pee trying to hold out for that much. I very much doubt if any club will pay that. We should tell them to get stuffed and only to give us a call if/when they come down from cloud cuckoo land

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2015, 05:24:11 PM »
if its true that qpr wont budge on 10m then we should be walking away not messing around chasing shadows  times ticking

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2015, 05:46:54 PM »
if its true that qpr wont budge on 10m then we should be walking away not messing around chasing shadows  times ticking
Maybe we have walked away.  ;)
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2015, 06:28:16 PM »
Question is where do we walk ? Whoever we go for at this stage of the window will be driving a hard bargain, including Forest with Antonio. It seems to be very hard to get players in early unless you are prepared to offer very close to the price being asked, inflated or not.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2015, 06:29:08 PM »
£10 million for Phillips is too much and QPR are taking the pee trying to hold out for that much. I very much doubt if any club will pay that. We should tell them to get stuffed and only to give us a call if/when they come down from cloud cuckoo land

Just imagine how much he'd be worth if we were trying to sell him. £15-20m probably. I think we've took the pee big time in the past when selling players yet offer a pittance when trying to buy.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club