Author Topic: Why did we play in yellow and green yesterday?  (Read 15993 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: Why did we play in yellow and green yesterday?
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2019, 12:38:03 PM »
Well, maybe I should avoid that pre match curry, must raise my temperature even more! You still going in there, Dan?

Thanks for asking after me Mike, the knee's almost healed now. I'll pop over the NST every now and then but I'll be spending more time in the Sportsman again now I'm more mobile. I fully appreciate where you're coming from regarding preferred colours by the way, it just doesn't bother me as much. As for exploitation people have a choice whether to pay for the change tops. I've only bought the occasional retro top or t-shirt for years now. I don't wear colours to games or to the pub so there'd be little point.

Taking exploitation further I'm sick to death of games being moved for TV and/or being charged far more for away games than visitors are charged at ours. With that in mind I'm knocking a number of aways on the head. Much as I love the social side if I can walk away from those then others can avoid paying for tops if they don't fancy them. Used to buy kits for my lad, then just tops as prices increased and I stopped altogether when I felt they were taking the urine. Priorities make for easy decisions.

All the best chap and see you soonish  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2019, 12:46:13 PM »
Have read all of the thread with interest as I always do. Personally I cannot get wound up at all about this one. I have supported the club for a long time and, for me, all that matters is the result and how we play (in that order)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2019, 02:57:22 PM »
Most importantly is it yellow and green or is it green and yellow?

These things matter
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

NorthantsBaggie97

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2019, 03:06:40 PM »
Yellow and Green
Most importantly is it yellow and green or is it green and yellow?

These things matter

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2019, 03:11:22 PM »
Am I the only person who thinks all of the Green and Yellow kit look awful?
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2019, 03:12:45 PM »
Am I the only person who thinks all of the Green and Yellow kit look awful?

Probably not but you're in a minority.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2019, 03:57:40 PM »
I can't wait to see who we are playing for the purple strip to make an appearance. Worlds gone mad.

At the start of the cup run in 1968 we had a 3rd round replay against Colchester, and because Colchester didn't have an away strip we played in all red. We won 4-0. All red was our traditional strip and i think a blue and white scarf with a band of red would be class.
Hey there were 38,000 at the Hawthorns for that 3rd round replay, i was one of them. How times have changed.

That purple kit is Vile (in every sense).

I don't mind the green and yellow but very rarely do we see the need for a second kit, let alone a third. It's just marketing to drain every last penny out of supporters IMHO.

For my money the best alternative kits have been the white top and blue shorts of 68 and the black kit we had for 2006/7 season. I'd love to see the return of either.

Finally, for those of you shocked that neutrals don't know it's navy blue stripes I am constantly being told (as I don't live in the Midlands) how 'us Magpies' aren't doing so well lately. Yes, lots of people out there are very ignorant indeed.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2019, 03:59:08 PM »
That purple kit is Vile (in every sense).

I don't mind the green and yellow but very rarely do we see the need for a second kit, let alone a third. It's just marketing to drain every last penny out of supporters IMHO.

For my money the best alternative kits have been the white top and blue shorts of 68 and the black kit we had for 2006/7 season. I'd love to see the return of either.

Finally, for those of you shocked that neutrals don't know it's navy blue stripes I am constantly being told (as I don't live in the Midlands) how 'us Magpies' aren't doing so well lately. Yes, lots of people out there are very ignorant indeed.

Wasn't it the FA Cup semi final against Portsmouth where the programme had us down as wearing black shirts ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2019, 04:12:02 PM »
Wasn't it the FA Cup semi final against Portsmouth where the programme had us down as wearing black shirts ?

Fair comment well made!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2019, 05:41:20 PM »
Those of us who were around in the late 70’s under Big Ron understand- quite simply it was breath taking football and the green and yellow epitomised the brand of football we played. The best time as an Albion fan.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

chippyclarke

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2019, 06:15:36 PM »

What the hell ....... lol. Any real football fan knows we play in blue and white. If they seriously think our stripes are black a) they know very little about football and b) they need to go to and buy some glasses. You must speak to some pretty odd opposition fans.

As for the away kit, everyone knows Norwich don't play in stripes, well possibly except the fans you speak to.  ;)
Davy Proven the Sky commentator thinks we play in black & white stripes! I've heard him say it several times.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2019, 06:21:46 PM »

Must be colour blind, seriously. It's not difficult to see what the colour is.

Regardless of seeing the kit how can anyone be taken seriously if they don't know our club colours? Partick Thistle mean nothing to me but I know they play in yellow, red and black FFS!

Clueless!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2019, 06:29:51 PM »
Yellow and Green

No, definitely Green and Yellow, I think  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2019, 11:21:06 PM »
Thanks for asking after me Mike, the knee's almost healed now. I'll pop over the NST every now and then but I'll be spending more time in the Sportsman again now I'm more mobile. I fully appreciate where you're coming from regarding preferred colours by the way, it just doesn't bother me as much. As for exploitation people have a choice whether to pay for the change tops. I've only bought the occasional retro top or t-shirt for years now. I don't wear colours to games or to the pub so there'd be little point.

Taking exploitation further I'm sick to death of games being moved for TV and/or being charged far more for away games than visitors are charged at ours. With that in mind I'm knocking a number of aways on the head. Much as I love the social side if I can walk away from those then others can avoid paying for tops if they don't fancy them. Used to buy kits for my lad, then just tops as prices increased and I stopped altogether when I felt they were taking the urine. Priorities make for easy decisions.

All the best chap and see you soonish  8) .

Dan, healed enough to go on Wednesday night? Evening games don’t usually give us time for the NST so we’ll probably be in the Sportsman, would be good to see you.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2019, 10:30:10 AM »
Dan, healed enough to go on Wednesday night? Evening games don’t usually give us time for the NST so we’ll probably be in the Sportsman, would be good to see you.

We should be there for about 18:00 hrs.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2019, 10:47:20 AM »
Could we take the chit chat to PMs, please?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2019, 10:52:54 AM »
Sorry boss  8) .

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2019, 12:20:35 PM »
I'm assuming you are aware of the irony in your statement.

Glad somebody said it  :D

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2019, 01:42:08 PM »
Those of us who were around in the late 70’s under Big Ron understand- quite simply it was breath taking football and the green and yellow epitomised the brand of football we played. The best time as an Albion fan.

The 60's were the best time to be an Albion fan, a team that won trophies and was always in the mix.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
I watched the Wolves game last night and Man Utd came out in home colours. Imagine all the poor sods who bought the away shirt.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2019, 01:47:01 PM »
I watched the Wolves game last night and Man Utd came out in home colours. Imagine all the poor sods who bought the away shirt.
their away shirt would have clashed, I suppose they could have used their third shirt.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2019, 01:50:22 PM »
They changed their socks to all white, that is all that was required.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2019, 02:00:16 PM »
They changed their socks to all white, that is all that was required.
and the black shorts and vaguely similar shirt colours?

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2019, 02:01:19 PM »
The 60's were the best time to be an Albion fan, a team that won trophies and was always in the mix.

50’s were not bad either - won the cup in 54 like you say always in the mix for title, 

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2019, 08:19:07 PM »
It was untill he fecked off to united and took our best players.That was the start of our downfall.By the mid 80's we were stuffed!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP