Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556714 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #5150 on: September 07, 2015, 08:27:03 AM »
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/9982156/west-bromwich-albion-manager-tony-pulis-ready-to-re-integrate-saido-berahino

Was this a sly dig at JP as well with the Shane Long quote? :-\

I didn't understand that either, Pulis wasn't even here at the time.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5151 on: September 07, 2015, 08:41:50 AM »
Pulis is a clever man manager.....Peace is bad cop, Pulis is good cop at least until Bera is sold.

There is also an element of Pulis having a not so subtle dig at Peace focusing on £s all the time. He's a financier and owner so what do people expect.

I think when the dust has settled, you'd hope the club also consider how all of this was handled and whether they could've pushed a deal to benefit all sides (more) because I'm not sure there will be any winners here, unhappy player, unhappy fans, reduced value, deal with Spurs looking off?

Berahino better score some goals if/ when he's back!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5152 on: September 07, 2015, 09:02:39 AM »
There is no doubt Pulis actively wanted to sell Berahino and the whole "you can never say never" routine throughout the summer was trying to tease out an acceptable bid. Unfortunately for both player and manager Spurs came in with a bid that was structured in such a way that it only gave the club £5m guaranteed with the remainder being subject to add-on's which would have taken up to 5 years to pay out. It was never the sort of deal which could have used to go out spend £20m even if the headline figure was even more than that.

I suspect Pulis told Berahino don't rock the boat son and you will get your move. It worked for both parties Berahino despite being our best striker never really fitted into the Pulisball tactics and was seen by the manager as high maintenance but was the club's most valuable asset and as such could generate the money for Pulis to spend.

Berahino lashing out is in part due to the manager telling him one thing and the owner not bowing to the inevitable when the terrible offer finally arrived. You will note that it was Peace not the club nor the manager that Berahino attacked on twitter.

The interview with Neil Ashdown in the Mail (which is unusual in it's self) is Pulis getting in his retaliation in first and making sure Berahino is the fall guy here which is an easy sell to the fans and getting his excuses in early in case the whole things heads even further south.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5153 on: September 07, 2015, 09:46:56 AM »
The bit I found funny was where Pulis said that 'he also bought his mum in one day to have a meeting with Jeremy and I don't think that helped'  ;D

The more I think about it the less chance I can see of him any sort of meaningful carear here, the fans will absolutely rip the pish out of him for one thing.
Not to mention what the boys in the dressing room will say

Anybody think Pulis is setting him up here?  :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:51:21 AM by tuamigos »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5154 on: September 07, 2015, 09:59:21 AM »
I wonder if he has turned up for 'work' this morning? Can't imagine much productivity from him on the training ground if indeed he is there. More like a day in isolation in the headmaster's office.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5155 on: September 07, 2015, 10:21:29 AM »
What I don't understand is, on the final day of the window, Jezza was in Jersey, and Pulis left the ground at 3ish. ???
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5156 on: September 07, 2015, 10:26:40 AM »
What I don't understand is, on the final day of the window, Jezza was in Jersey, and Pulis left the ground at 3ish. ???

Jezza only has to give the yes/ no answer and others (I presume Garlick) do the dealings/ paperwork etc
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5157 on: September 07, 2015, 10:27:29 AM »
Unfortunately for both player and manager Spurs came in with a bid that was structured in such a way that it only gave the club £5m guaranteed with the remainder being subject to add-on's which would have taken up to 5 years to pay out.
Do we actually know this? I've seen Daniel Levy referring to incremental payments being standard, which I'm sure they are, so do we know that all but £5m of these were conditional add-ons?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5158 on: September 07, 2015, 10:32:31 AM »
I see Tone's taking him and his mum out for dinner

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2015/09/07/tony-pulis-to-take-saido-berahino-and-his-mum-out-to-dinner-for-a-good-chat/?

Do they still do the toys with the 'Happy Meals'?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5159 on: September 07, 2015, 10:40:03 AM »
Do we actually know this? I've seen Daniel Levy referring to incremental payments being standard, which I'm sure they are, so do we know that all but £5m of these were conditional add-ons?

I'm not sure that they were all conditional add-ons, but as I understand it, the deal was structured. If, as reported, we wanted to use the cash to get Phillips &/or Austin from QPR, it's unlikely they would have accepted a structured deal.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5160 on: September 07, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »
There is no doubt Pulis actively wanted to sell Berahino and the whole "you can never say never" routine throughout the summer was trying to tease out an acceptable bid. Unfortunately for both player and manager Spurs came in with a bid that was structured in such a way that it only gave the club £5m guaranteed with the remainder being subject to add-on's which would have taken up to 5 years to pay out. It was never the sort of deal which could have used to go out spend £20m even if the headline figure was even more than that.

I suspect Pulis told Berahino don't rock the boat son and you will get your move. It worked for both parties Berahino despite being our best striker never really fitted into the Pulisball tactics and was seen by the manager as high maintenance but was the club's most valuable asset and as such could generate the money for Pulis to spend.

Berahino lashing out is in part due to the manager telling him one thing and the owner not bowing to the inevitable when the terrible offer finally arrived. You will note that it was Peace not the club nor the manager that Berahino attacked on twitter.

The interview with Neil Ashdown in the Mail (which is unusual in it's self) is Pulis getting in his retaliation in first and making sure Berahino is the fall guy here which is an easy sell to the fans and getting his excuses in early in case the whole things heads even further south.

The way the article(s) read, TP is also having a dig at the chairman, not normally a good career move. I'm not one of TP's biggest fans, but I don't think we need further upheaval right now. I'm really surprised TP gave the interview, & for me,it's worrying.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5161 on: September 07, 2015, 10:53:06 AM »
I'm not sure that they were all conditional add-ons, but as I understand it, the deal was structured. If, as reported, we wanted to use the cash to get Phillips &/or Austin from QPR, it's unlikely they would have accepted a structured deal.

i think it was about the time TP left the training ground that Charlie Austin tweeted something along the lines of "staying at Rangers" in a positive manner, 

I would conjecture that JP / TP had agreed that if SB deal wasn't concluded by 3:30, this would not leave time to get "other" deals done, so at 3:15 it was a call from WBA to say sorry charlie, problems at this end (knob-head Levy playing silly buggers, so we can't do it.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5162 on: September 07, 2015, 11:45:19 AM »

We don't know absolutely for certain and I am only going on what has been reported in the media but I am sure the deal was heavily weighted towards add-ons and the vast bulk of the fee would only be triggered if Saido did well for Spurs. Not a problem if other clubs would sell us players on the same basis but it plainly makes the deal more complicated and at the tail end of the window makes the task near impossible.

I think it is generally accepted that Spurs made four offers including a player swap which featured Fazio who had already turned down our terms.

It is pincer movement on the one hand the manager wants to unload the player and the buying club knows this, the manager does not play the player "because he's head's not right" owner sees the writing on the wall cuts the best deal possible spends money that he doesn't have on replacements and keeps fingers crossed that Saido delivers the goods for Spurs and get's everyone out of jail. Remember that is the young man that everyone at the club thinks has a bit of an attitude problem.

Only thing is that is not the way JP rolls. If what it has happened the way I think it might have TP won't last the season
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5163 on: September 07, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »
It appears to me that TP appears to be making Peace the guilty party here. Hang on Tony its his club if the offer was not good enough it is within JP rights to reject it.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5164 on: September 07, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
The article doesn't seem like a Pulis dig at anyone. He's just narrating what happened last Tuesday.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5165 on: September 07, 2015, 12:56:29 PM »
i find this bit interesting,
'There should be mentors in academies, more ex-senior players involved with the youngsters, to mix with them, integrate and tell them about their experience of the game and their careers — they could play a big part.'

not sure if the club do have this in place, I know Darren Moore is involved in some capacity. at the same time Berahino is no longer part of the academy, this could be where having a coach involved in first team that was an ex player perhaps might work.

Its very clear that Berahino is very immature maybe even more than that. yes he's had a hard upbringing with losing his dad and fleeing his country of birth but at the same time since the age of around 12 he's pretty much had everything handed to him on a plate which I think is what makes his attitude what it is.

I doubt he'd get the kind of 1 to 1 he does with Pulis at Spurs. he appears to be very fragile mentally which will only hold him back from reaching the levels that he wants to reach

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5166 on: September 07, 2015, 12:58:26 PM »
The article doesn't seem like a Pulis dig at anyone. He's just narrating what happened last Tuesday.

That's what I thought too. Mind you I have been known to be wrong!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5167 on: September 07, 2015, 01:03:37 PM »

There are two articles, both published around 10:30 last night, on this one there is a reference to the Shane Long sale, which took place before TP came here. To me, that's a dig at the Chairman.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3224406/Saido-Berahino-play-West-Brom-Tony-Pulis-plans-striker-mum-good-chat-dinner.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5168 on: September 07, 2015, 01:06:49 PM »
Certainly don't think this has done wonders for Pulis and peaces relationship especially the meat comment and Shane long transaction  ???.

Let's hope the meeting goes better tonight because I personally haven't taken much positivity out of any of the articles this morning surrounding the club.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5169 on: September 07, 2015, 01:15:16 PM »
Think he is just trying to put Berahino's side ie. He sold Long so his explanation about not enough time for a replacement doesn't wash. Not a dig at all as Pulis does not know the facts of the deal. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:27:38 PM by OldburyWBA »
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5170 on: September 07, 2015, 01:21:28 PM »
Pulis and Peace ar eboth clever enough to have come up with this plan to get Berahino back on side, even if it means Pulis playing against Peace in this manner. TP makes Saido think that its all Peace's fault and he is on his side, play well for me and you will get your move in January.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5171 on: September 07, 2015, 01:23:04 PM »
Pulis playing politics in public won't help his position in the long term, subtle yet repeated digs at JP won't be going unnoticed either, especially after he was backed to the tune of £32million this summer (5th highest net spend in the league) and given more autonomy in the transfer market than any other Albion manager in the last decade.

Hopefully the beginning of the end - wishful thinking.
"This crack is really moreish."

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5172 on: September 07, 2015, 01:26:33 PM »
Pulis and Peace ar eboth clever enough to have come up with this plan to get Berahino back on side, even if it means Pulis playing against Peace in this manner. TP makes Saido think that its all Peace's fault and he is on his side, play well for me and you will get your move in January.

Thats how I see it too,
SB had decided JP was bad cop, so encourage that and convince SB (and Ma) that TP has the lads interests at heart and is the good cop.
Somehow think SB ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer and will be "managed" by Tone, for as long as Tone can be arsed.
Conclusion SB goes Jan window or if not TP will !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5173 on: September 07, 2015, 01:31:54 PM »
I have heard of conspiracies but this sounds a bit far, I think Pulis is genuinely unhappy at the moment whether my hunch is right or wrong.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5174 on: September 07, 2015, 01:33:05 PM »
Thats how I see it too,
SB had decided JP was bad cop, so encourage that and convince SB (and Ma) that TP has the lads interests at heart and is the good cop.
Somehow think SB ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer and will be "managed" by Tone, for as long as Tone can be arsed.
Conclusion SB goes Jan window or if not TP will !

Pulis was talking about Berahino not being used as 'meat' weeks ago before all this boiled over, its been evident for some time that Pulis wanted to sell him and use the money for other targets.  If you think this is some sort of good cop / bad cop routine they have concocted between themselves you are sadly mistaken, Pulis is clearly politicking.
"This crack is really moreish."