Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2556722 times)

divinewind

• WBA Coach

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #5100 on: September 06, 2015, 12:52:02 PM »
Jeff Astle said that  he was on 80 quid a week at the Albion. I have read George Best's book and he said United had a wage cap and the most he earned there was 200 quid a week, while Charlton and Law were on a bit more.
A good wage in those day's indeed, but nothing like the obscene money they get now for doing a job they love.

Ideye Brown probably made over a million just from his transfer in and out, without his wage.
Madness.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5101 on: September 06, 2015, 01:04:55 PM »
As a fan I have the same emotions as most regarding Berahino.

However, West Bromwich Albion is a business and emotion has little sway in the commercial world.

Let management calm him down, reintegrate him, let his peer group play its part (good help him), give him a new and improved contract and sell him at the first available opportunity, at the right price of course. 
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

apple

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5102 on: September 06, 2015, 01:10:43 PM »
  l know football is awash with fools and money but who in their right minds is now going to pay £25 million pounds for somebody with such a stinking attitude. if l was a Tottenham fan l certainly wouldnt want him anywhere near my team.
  l fear that to give him a huge pay rise and a new contract with a high release clause, we are going to be stuck with the little tw*t for the foreseeable future.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #5103 on: September 06, 2015, 01:36:15 PM »
  l know football is awash with fools and money but who in their right minds is now going to pay £25 million pounds for somebody with such a stinking attitude. if l was a Tottenham fan l certainly wouldnt want him anywhere near my team.
  l fear that to give him a huge pay rise and a new contract with a high release clause, we are going to be stuck with the little tw*t for the foreseeable future.

Balotelli keeps getting these moves on big money. There will always be a taker for any player with a bit of talent no matter what they do.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5104 on: September 06, 2015, 01:40:38 PM »
Jeff Astle said that  he was on 80 quid a week at the Albion. I have read George Best's book and he said United had a wage cap and the most he earned there was 200 quid a week, while Charlton and Law were on a bit more.
A good wage in those day's indeed, but nothing like the obscene money they get now for doing a job they love.

Ideye Brown probably made over a million just from his transfer in and out, without his wage.
Madness.

I used to go to the Hawthorns with my Grandad who was a straight forward chap who never let the facts get in the way of an argument. Back in the 1970 what footballers earned was rarely the cause for much debate however the fact that Alan Clarke who had transferred from Leicester to Leeds it was reported that he would earn £150 a week and I guess he would be one of the better paid players in the game.

For some reason this enraged my Grandad who now thought all footballers earned £150 a week for 90 minutes work (training didn't seem to count in his eyes) and therefore were harangued accordingly. I probably should apologise to Bomber and the rest of 1970/71 team as they probably weren't earning half of that and that bloke that used to shout "£150 quid a week for that rubbish" at them really didn't know what he was talking about. ;D

The point is that that was 40 years ago the world is different there was a lot less money in the game and all money is worth less because of inflation. To put into context the £150 per week player of 1970 would need to be earning £3750 a week to keep pace with wage inflation. Everything else is down to the Bosman ruling and the sheer weight of money flowing through the game.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5105 on: September 06, 2015, 01:43:12 PM »
I guess it's a case of getting him in the meeting tomorrow if he turns up and trying to resolve the issue, Where he can play until January at least and contribute to the club without being poisonous on the dressing room.

I would be amazed if he stayed and signed a new contract but a lot will depend on he's attitude in tomorrow's meeting.

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #5106 on: September 06, 2015, 02:05:07 PM »
The problem is that whenever he plays now and misses a 'sitter' everyone will be claiming a deliberate miss.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5107 on: September 06, 2015, 02:09:31 PM »
The problem is that whenever he plays now and misses a 'sitter' everyone will be claiming a deliberate miss.

Yes your right, someone who sits near me was claiming that the misses against Man City & Watford were deliberate. If they were, then he's a better player than I had him down for. :)
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #5108 on: September 06, 2015, 02:20:32 PM »
Refuses to play for our chairman and then could be potentially earning a new contract. What a crazy world we live in.
Smethwick..

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5109 on: September 06, 2015, 02:25:44 PM »
Don't know if anyone has seen this but it sounds like Saido will end up playing for us again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34167785

Striker Saido Berahino will return to play for West Brom again, players' union boss Gordon Taylor has said.

Berahino hinted he would not represent the club under chairman Jeremy Peace after a move to Tottenham was blocked.

The England Under-21 international, 22, was given extra time off and is due to meet Baggies officials on Monday.

"We made contact with the club and player and are very hopeful the matter will be resolved," Taylor told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek.

Berahino was the subject of four bids from Spurs over the summer and has been left out of the team for the last three matches.

Taylor, PFA chief executive since 1981, also called for the transfer window to be closed before the start of the new season, using the example of the uncertainty surrounding Everton's John Stones.

England international Stones, 21, had a transfer request rejected by the Toffees, who also refused three bids - including one of £30m - from Premier League champions Chelsea for the defender.

"To have the window open once the season starts has created some very frenzied activity and left a lot of good players who should have been on the pitch not playing," said Taylor, 70.

"John Stones had to cope with a lot as Everton - as was their right - wanted to keep him.

"We have fought long and hard to have players literally free. But that comes at the end of their contract and before that happens it needs two clubs to agree."

He/him

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5110 on: September 06, 2015, 02:26:19 PM »
Refuses to play for our chairman and then could be potentially earning a new contract. What a crazy world we live in.

So true pal.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5111 on: September 06, 2015, 02:34:01 PM »
Just read that he may get a new contract. If he does and it includes a pay rise, I will be boycotting all Albion games until he goes. I won't allow myself to contribute towards the pay of a sulking leech when the world is in he state it's in.

Some peope are simply despicable and i refuse to be linked with them.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5112 on: September 06, 2015, 02:54:53 PM »
The purpose of the new contract will be to get the £25m buy-out clause into it...which will make the position clearer to Spurs etc.
I know it seems very bad timing for him to get a pay rise but you could say he'll be getting what he is worth to us as a player now i.e. the rate for a genuine premier league goal scorer. It might stick in the throat to say it but his performances last year mean he now 'deserves' to be on a higher pay rate.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5113 on: September 06, 2015, 03:55:16 PM »
I'm going to refuse to go into work tomorrow in hope that work will offer me a new contract with better pay.

Somehow, I reckon they'd sack me instead...

It'll be a sad day when we start bowing down to spoilt brats.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5114 on: September 06, 2015, 03:56:39 PM »
Let him play this season and scores for us, then sell him at £25m next summer, a win-win situation ?
The PRIDE of midlands

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5115 on: September 06, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »
Let him play this season and scores for us, then sell him at £25m next summer, a win-win situation ?

When he's got 12 months left on his contract?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5116 on: September 06, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
I honestly have no idea why anyone is surprised about him being reintegrated and getting a new contract. It was the only way this was ever going to shake out.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5117 on: September 06, 2015, 04:20:30 PM »
I honestly have no idea why anyone is surprised about him being reintegrated and getting a new contract. It was the only way this was ever going to shake out.

It's the only way WBA get the maximum out of this. All this 'let him rot' talk means he'd be getting paid to do nothing and we'd lose him for whatever the compensation would be next summer.

This way, Pulis says 'work ARD, score us goals and you may get your move in January, if not, you'll get it next summer."

We get goals, finish higher and potentially 25 million when he goes.

Anything else is illogical.

Doesn't change the fact that as a person he is a complete d*ck though! Thing is, i don't watch Albion to see nice people, i watch us in the hope of wins and entertainment.

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #5118 on: September 06, 2015, 04:23:05 PM »
I'm going to refuse to go into work tomorrow in hope that work will offer me a new contract with better pay.

Somehow, I reckon they'd sack me instead...

It'll be a sad day when we start bowing down to spoilt brats.
I can remember many occasions where a work-mate has got a job at another company purely as a lever to get a pay rise at his existing one. Hands in his notice and they offer him a pay rise to stay.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5119 on: September 06, 2015, 04:29:56 PM »
I can remember many occasions where a work-mate has got a job at another company purely as a lever to get a pay rise at his existing one. Hands in his notice and they offer him a pay rise to stay.
Has to be good and not a pain in the backside though?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5120 on: September 06, 2015, 04:51:23 PM »
If it hadn't been for the petulant tweets then keeping him and giving him a new contract with a fair release clause was the best case scenario, it probably still is.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5121 on: September 06, 2015, 05:25:48 PM »
The purpose of the new contract will be to get the £25m buy-out clause into it...which will make the position clearer to Spurs etc.
I know it seems very bad timing for him to get a pay rise but you could say he'll be getting what he is worth to us as a player now i.e. the rate for a genuine premier league goal scorer. It might stick in the throat to say it but his performances last year mean he now 'deserves' to be on a higher pay rate.
This was always likely to happen if he didn't go - objectively he was due a pay rise anyway, but having a publicly stated get out clause means Spurs- or whoever- can't do any "canny" haggling, they just have to pay up.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #5122 on: September 06, 2015, 06:05:16 PM »
When he's got 12 months left on his contract?

We have a years option in our favour

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5123 on: September 06, 2015, 06:20:22 PM »
Purely the best way to move on for both parties , if the press/ talkshite want to make a big deal out of the potential contract thing then clearly they still don't know JP very well.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 06:31:59 PM by Dexy »

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5124 on: September 06, 2015, 06:45:24 PM »
We have a years option in our favour

I'm fairly sure we don't.

We only have a straight 18 months, but as he'll be under 24 when the contract ends, as he was our academy graduate we remain the ability to have a fee for him, even at contract end.

Ings is an example of this for £6-8mill I believe.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input