Author Topic: 3 Mar 2020 Albion 2 Newcastle Utd 3 (FA Cup Round 5)  (Read 86385 times)

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: In Game Chat
« Reply #475 on: March 03, 2020, 09:53:59 PM »
2-3 at the end

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: In Game Chat
« Reply #476 on: March 03, 2020, 09:54:39 PM »
Got some respect back at least. Least that's the last time we will see Barry and Brunt.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #477 on: March 03, 2020, 09:57:19 PM »
Interesting in the end. I can't blame Slaven for making the changes. At least we made a decent go at it in the end. Saturday is so important to us now.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #478 on: March 03, 2020, 09:57:41 PM »
Massive shame for the youngsters who played so well. Edwards and Harper were super at times. Krov was great and changed the game.

Barry and Brunt can retire after tonight.

Wasted opportunity.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #479 on: March 03, 2020, 09:57:47 PM »
Joke of a starting line up by Bilic against a pooh team as good as a walk over in my opinion

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #480 on: March 03, 2020, 09:58:07 PM »
A disgrace playing Brunt and Barry.  I thought Slaven had more nous than that.  Krovinovic is light years better.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #481 on: March 03, 2020, 09:58:17 PM »
They were terrible and we could have won that had it not been for the team selection. What this performance told us:

- Brunt and Barry are done. Arguably Austin too.
- Edwards worth holding on to.
- Phillips not done yet - he surprised me.
- Krov was absolutely outstanding.

Love Slav but he lost us this game. Could have been in the quarter final.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #482 on: March 03, 2020, 09:58:50 PM »
Bye bye Brunty.  Unlikely to see him in the stripes again.  Wonderful wide man in his time but was never a CM.  We saw a midfield of Brunt, Barry and Harper last year and it was painful to watch and it hadn't improved.

Harper? Shows flashes of potential but needs to add a lot more to his game. The next 12 months in his development are very important.  Same could be said for Edwards,  when he just goes direct he looks very dangerous.

Bond is not Corberan!! Johnson keeps the shirt.

Playing one up top Zohore is a better option than Austin who offers ZERO in that role.

We need to buy Krov,, there is no doubt he can offer something If we step up to the PL.

Slav did what he had to do with promotion the priority.  He played two experienced pros who some fans felt should be utilised more.   Makes you realise how much more mobile Sawyers, Livermore, Pez and Krov are. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:02:58 PM by Oldbury24 »

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #483 on: March 03, 2020, 09:58:56 PM »
Why did we even bother, may as well just not bother entering the cups next year, just admit that, as a club, we don't care about anything but Prem money and the fans are irrelevant.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #484 on: March 03, 2020, 09:59:33 PM »
Possibly could have played more youngsters but still think we needed to rest key players for Saturday.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #485 on: March 03, 2020, 10:00:51 PM »
Our first choice would win that.

Krov was excellent when he came on.  Zohore looked half decent.  Phillips our best player over the 90.  Gibbs was decent.  O'Shea settled into his role.

Barry and Brunt, oh dear.  How Brunt stayed on that long I dont know, he was running around kicking people all second half.  At least it puts to bed the idea of either them replacing Sawyers.

Harper was poor throughout but I think he tried to cover so much ground his legs had gone for the last 15 mins.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #486 on: March 03, 2020, 10:01:31 PM »
Dont blame Slav playing that side tonight. Brunt and Barry were shocking but they played against West Ham. O Shea was poor tonight. Clear to see why SJ plays in goal rather than Bond. Ken looked a lot better than Chaz when he came on. Onto the last 10 games of the season we go with the big guns back.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #487 on: March 03, 2020, 10:01:52 PM »
Massive shame for the youngsters who played so well. Edwards and Harper were super at times. Krov was great and changed the game.

Barry and Brunt can retire after tonight.

Wasted opportunity.

Pretty much this. Barry and Brunt were awful, looked like some heart was lost from them as well as speed.

Edwards is a mixed bag.

Gibbs and Harper were good but shot by the end.

Krov was superb. Credit to Phillips too.

Bond, wow, awful.

Gayle gave us a chance.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #488 on: March 03, 2020, 10:02:34 PM »
I understand making changes, but Brunt & Barry together in the midfield no matter what you think of them was never going to work - what was Slav thinking?
We weren't going to win the cup, Newcastle won't either based on that showing, not the best Newcastle team I've ever seen, but why oh why didn't we give it a go. I thought the younger guys did well, as did Krov. Need to step it up now, 10 big games coming up, starting with our visit to my neck of the woods.
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #489 on: March 03, 2020, 10:02:50 PM »
Why did we even bother, may as well just not bother entering the cups next year, just admit that, as a club, we don't care about anything but Prem money and the fans are irrelevant.
Unfortunately getting into the Premier League is vital for the club. Failure to do so means a significantly weaker squad next year.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #490 on: March 03, 2020, 10:06:19 PM »
Unfortunately getting into the Premier League is vital for the club. Failure to do so means a significantly weaker squad next year.

That's fair enough but anyone can see that a midfield of Brunt and Barry won't have the legs to compete.  Start one if you have to, but not both.

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #491 on: March 03, 2020, 10:06:23 PM »
I agree with you & I have said the same thing before too.
If the club are not going to take the cups seriously, fine, just state this up front at the start of the season & make the ticket prices £5 max.

westbrom3wolves0

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #492 on: March 03, 2020, 10:06:32 PM »
Disappointed in the starting XI - first half felt like going back in time with no second gear let alone a third or fourth. No creativity and difficult/frustrating to watch. Barry and Brunt were woeful in my opinion. Krov made a massive difference in the second half, injected a spark of sharpness and creativity into the midfield.

Overall a shame, because although I agree with changing the team selection, I just wish Slav had recognized that starting with Krov/Pereira and Zohore for Austin would have probably tipped the game in our favor. Newcastle were there for the taking and we didn't need our starting Championship XI to beat them. Brunt/Barry in midfield is a joke.

Edwards showed glimpses of his potential. Austin was non existent. Gibbs looked well off the pace but give him benefit of doubt.
Oooooohhhh West Bromwich Albion! #SPRAY32

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #493 on: March 03, 2020, 10:08:01 PM »
I asked some weeks ago for a team to be picked that could beat Newcastle.

Instead Barry and Brunt (combined age 74) were fielded together - and notwithstanding a late gloss on the score line, we lost to a side that could definitely have been beaten.

I take no real consolation from the idea that the league is the priority. There’s not much evidence that losing games ever helps anyone’s form, and I’m getting close to 60 and have never seen Albion in a Cup final. I doubt I ever will.

If we go up, we’ll almost certainly be fighting relegation so the league will again take priority. And another Albion reserve team will be knocked out of the Cup. It’ll happen every season because let’s face it - we’re never going to be much good in the Premier League, unless someone spends £££££££££££s.

I’m bitterly disappointed - with the team selection, the attitude and what the Premier League has done to what was once a sport. Add VAR into the mix and it’s not much fun anymore.

Very upset by what I watched tonight.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #494 on: March 03, 2020, 10:08:29 PM »
Krov showed he is plenty good enough for the Premier League, Edwards was excellent as well, Brunt and Barry, oh dear, the chickens have come home to roost and not even the one eyed Brunt super fan can defend that!
Baggie in Southampton

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #495 on: March 03, 2020, 10:09:15 PM »
not bad from the younger guys. Just cannot understand the love in with the premier mob This was a bunch of Albion players who in the main struggle to make the bench let alone the first team. One First team regular midfielder ripped newcastle apart and had em chasing and running scared at 0-3with the ref giving them plenty of help. You beat a reserve championship side tonight bonny lads - nothing to shout about

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #496 on: March 03, 2020, 10:09:25 PM »
Poor start

Barry and Brunt are not a pairing in midfield.

Though Phillips was excellent tonight along with Edwards who caused them problems all night.

Harper had a decent game for me but he is lazy when he loses the ball.

Good to see Gibbs come through 90mins

Krovinovic changed the game when he came on, he’s really started playing superbly in the last 5/6 weeks
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #497 on: March 03, 2020, 10:10:50 PM »
I expected this team.
No problems that they lost.
I am not down hearted.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #498 on: March 03, 2020, 10:11:37 PM »
Phillips best game for a while. Krov great. Gibbs better in 2nd half.

Barry and Brunt should never have been resigned but this is the Albion and we love chucking money away on old pros.

Goalkeeper scout needs shooting.

Edwards and Harper infuriating. Capable of brilliance but no consistency.

Can focus on the league now and promotion hopefully to keep the club financially secure.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #499 on: March 03, 2020, 10:12:00 PM »
Exactly so may as well just opt out, or make it free to enter. Don't charge fans of 40 years to watch a game that you don't want to win.