Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369616 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #9625 on: August 17, 2023, 09:09:01 AM »
Anybody watched/ watching the Burnley documentary? They have new American owners/ investors who are very hands on, attend all matches home and away, even watching matches at daughters wedding  ;D What a difference it makes compared to ours!! They are fully invested in the project, and absolutely romped the Championship with all on board! Depressing reality for us really  :-[
Depends on your point of view,I would think less of them for being distracted at a daughters wedding …I also don’t think it matters how “invested” they are…when the Netflix cameras are around .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9626 on: August 17, 2023, 09:18:24 AM »
Depends on your point of view,I would think less of them for being distracted at a daughters wedding …I also don’t think it matters how “invested” they are…when the Netflix cameras are around .
The proof was in the pudding, they invested in 22 new players, and walked the league. I accept there was a lot of playing up to the cameras but our chairman has been to what 2-3 games in how many years??

As for the daughters wedding, im sure it was only the reception they were checking the results!  :D

Out of the two scenarios, i'd pick Burnleys owners every day of the week, and twice on Sundays!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9627 on: August 17, 2023, 10:46:20 AM »
Not bad going for a team of 'Domestic Energy Assessors' established in the summer of 2019. Lagging must pay well if they can make a legal leap into the loans business in just over two years. Not that I'm implying there's anything remotely dodgy about them (for legal reasons) of course.

Morning Dan,

I think it was you that pointed out Warmfront's list of affiliates included WBA.
There is onother affiliate called Global Sports data & technology, who have Russell Slade listed as a director. Global also see blockchain as pivotal in their growth. (Remember the French Guy)

Hearns bio also describes him as an investor in professional football.

There are number of investment companies in the Warmfront Group, none of them very big, but all appearing to be set up to take advantages of opportunities.

Hearn doesn't appear to be a fool, so IMO, it's unlikely that he's been trapped into a loss by the WBA loan. What's more likely, in my opinion, is the default formula ensures that longer the debt is outstanding, the greater percentage of shares Hearn gets.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9628 on: August 17, 2023, 03:51:00 PM »
Morning Dan,

I think it was you that pointed out Warmfront's list of affiliates included WBA.
There is onother affiliate called Global Sports data & technology, who have Russell Slade listed as a director. Global also see blockchain as pivotal in their growth. (Remember the French Guy)

Hearns bio also describes him as an investor in professional football.

There are number of investment companies in the Warmfront Group, none of them very big, but all appearing to be set up to take advantages of opportunities.

Hearn doesn't appear to be a fool, so IMO, it's unlikely that he's been trapped into a loss by the WBA loan. What's more likely, in my opinion, is the default formula ensures that longer the debt is outstanding, the greater percentage of shares Hearn gets.

Afternoon John. Yes I noticed that. Got his fingers in a lot of pies has Mr. Hearn. If I were a forensic financial expert I'd be paying attention to more than one money trail.

But I'm not a forensic financial expert so what I'd do if I was one is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things and I'm most definitely not going to imply anything.

Going off on a tangent a bit here but I was enjoying a lovely bit of sun just. But then the clouds came over and it's all gone quite shady. Just my luck really.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9629 on: August 17, 2023, 07:52:48 PM »
Just my top of the head thoughts on buying and selling the club

If as an investor considering the purchase a Championship club, there would not be many options better than West Brom

To maximise the potential selling price Lai is pursuing a cost reduction strategy of don’t spend any money, reduce the wage bill, sell whatever players  you can and keep the club afloat with minimum expenditure = an asset with reduced downside and debt, clean assets with most longstanding debt reducing. However there is a major risk
It is highly dependent on timing, this plan can only be followed once as there will be reduced options to reduce operating costs and receive any capital sales income

As a purchaser, reduced downside and as time progresses more pressure on Lai to sell in the window of opportunity Lai is creating by reducing costs and maximising asset sales.
The timing has to be before January, assuming the club is not trailing at the bottom of the league, this enables the purchaser to have got the club at a lower cost than now and leaves enough time to buy players that will keep the club in the championship and perhaps even challenge for promotion ahead of time

The real opportunity for promotion becomes 2024/5 where there will be 2 further windows to invest in player purchases

It may sound to simple but a sale before January is the key to the purchaser maximising future potential and of course profit

Buy low, sell high a la Jeremy 😎

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9630 on: August 17, 2023, 11:04:48 PM »
Just read that Chinese property group Evergrande seeks Chapter 15 protection in Manhattan bankruptcy court. Not directly linked to Lai but it could be detrimental to him and his fellow shareholders as the markets could drop big style.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9631 on: August 17, 2023, 11:41:37 PM »
Just read that Chinese property group Evergrande seeks Chapter 15 protection in Manhattan bankruptcy court. Not directly linked to Lai but it could be detrimental to him and his fellow shareholders as the markets could drop big style.

It will have a massive impact on the Chinese stockmarkets and indeed global stock markets

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9632 on: August 18, 2023, 12:32:40 AM »
It will have a massive impact on the Chinese stockmarkets and indeed global stock markets
Predicted by analysts months ago, mostly already factored in, so a blip not massive impact

mateinone

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9633 on: August 18, 2023, 03:24:41 AM »
i have serious concerns about the viability of our club at present. if Lai doesn't sell the club, i think there is a real possibility that we don't last the next 10 (or possibly even 5) years.

We are run in an atrocious manner at present and unless we can turn up top line talents and profit from them in the transfer market, our club is in a lot of trouble.

it really is a "negative" post i know, but whenever i think of the club at the moment i get depressed at where we are at.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9634 on: August 18, 2023, 09:29:50 AM »
i have serious concerns about the viability of our club at present. if Lai doesn't sell the club, i think there is a real possibility that we don't last the next 10 (or possibly even 5) years.

We are run in an atrocious manner at present and unless we can turn up top line talents and profit from them in the transfer market, our club is in a lot of trouble.

it really is a "negative" post i know, but whenever i think of the club at the moment i get depressed at where we are at.

Lai will sell.  It’s “when”, not “if”.    The bigger concern is that we fall into the hands of an even worse owner (and yes there are some out there)

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9635 on: August 18, 2023, 09:40:09 AM »
why would somebody buy us now when they could pick us up for pennies on the pound when we enter administration

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9636 on: August 18, 2023, 11:55:08 AM »
why would somebody buy us now when they could pick us up for pennies on the pound when we enter administration

Because the risk is that by then the club would have much further to bounce back from (with a big points deduction) and they’d simply have to inject more funds to buy more players.  Buy for £50m now and inject £20m or buy for £20m now and have to inject £50m comes for the same thing.

Bear in mind that we are not like every other club which has gone into administration. We have minimal debt by comparison.  We still have a positive balance sheet.  It is purely cash flow which is the issue.  Going into administration is definitely not the best option.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9637 on: August 18, 2023, 12:12:51 PM »
Because the risk is that by then the club would have much further to bounce back from (with a big points deduction) and they’d simply have to inject more funds to buy more players.  Buy for £50m now and inject £20m or buy for £20m now and have to inject £50m comes for the same thing.

Bear in mind that we are not like every other club which has gone into administration. We have minimal debt by comparison.  We still have a positive balance sheet.  It is purely cash flow which is the issue.  Going into administration is definitely not the best option.

Have you any idea of just how much Administration Costs are!! Crippling

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9638 on: August 18, 2023, 12:25:30 PM »
Predicted by analysts months ago, mostly already factored in, so a blip not massive impact

Yes, if you've followed Chinese news then this is no surprise. It also shows how the likes of Fosun are struggling too.

It's a little off topic but if you're interested in Chinese news then I'd take a look at the Youtuber Serpentza who is a South African who used to live out there. It's very intriguing stuff and he basically highlights just how fake the Chinese economy is. For instance, they recently covered up a massive flood that destroyed several cities. They were also found to have literal fake drains as well for show (to cut costs).

As for the Albion, it shows just how fragile our owners finances may be - which is either a good or a bad thing depending on your point of view.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9639 on: August 18, 2023, 01:45:33 PM »
Yes there’s a huge real estate Chinese company in the states on the verge of going under

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9640 on: August 18, 2023, 02:27:33 PM »
Have you any idea of just how much Administration Costs are!! Crippling

Yes I do. As I say, best avoided,   

But if we did go into administration then the process would be relatively simple as we have very simple creditors.  It won’t happen though.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9641 on: August 18, 2023, 02:49:56 PM »
Check out Evergrand Group in New York look on CNN Business sectionthe chinese real estste is having a disastrous effect in china, so thats the buziness Lai is in isnt it, if he doesnt get 60 mill or whatever hell end up with nothing

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9642 on: August 18, 2023, 04:28:44 PM »
Afternoon John. Yes I noticed that. Got his fingers in a lot of pies has Mr. Hearn. If I were a forensic financial expert I'd be paying attention to more than one money trail.

But I'm not a forensic financial expert so what I'd do if I was one is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things and I'm most definitely not going to imply anything.

Going off on a tangent a bit here but I was enjoying a lovely bit of sun just. But then the clouds came over and it's all gone quite shady. Just my luck really.
Is this Mr Hearn any relation to one Barry Hearn? Or am I seeing a conspiracy theory where there is none?
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9643 on: August 25, 2023, 12:25:55 PM »
Sam Cunningham, Chief Football writer at the I newspaper has written a feature article in today's paper on the goings on at Albion, telling the story of rich men who have taken money out of the club over a long period of time (Peace, Lai, etc). Includes interviews with a few people involved from the fans perspectives, like S4A and Action for Albion's Alistair Jones (Sedgley on here).

It is a very good article, which continues to highlight our case and elevating it to the highest profile current case of club owner mismanagement in the public consciousness (outside of the Glazer family).

Sedgley talks in the article about how to the aim is that the government will take on our case as the flagship or test case for the new white paper. It is worth noting the work Action 4 Albion have done has helped Shareholders for Albion get a meeting with the govnement, including it seems Rishi Sunak himself (if I understood the article correctly).

Some people (and it seems nonchalant ex players) mock the work of A4A and the shine a light protest, Sedgley acknowledges it is taken the p*** out of a bit, but the continued highlighting and work they are doing is putting just as much pressure on the club as the more aggressive forms of protest adopted by Newcastle and Charlton fans the last few years, it didn't exactly speed up their take overs after all.

If enough football editors keep talking about our case, it gives us the best chance of getting the government interested, which seems the most likely way we can have any impact.
Boing Boing

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9644 on: August 25, 2023, 12:32:05 PM »
And yet the main steam media e.g. Sky either have no clue or no interest in what’s happening at our club. Look at last weeks one-sided love in with Leeds United!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9645 on: August 25, 2023, 01:02:19 PM »
Sam Cunningham, Chief Football writer at the I newspaper has written a feature article in today's paper on the goings on at Albion, telling the story of rich men who have taken money out of the club over a long period of time (Peace, Lai, etc). Includes interviews with a few people involved from the fans perspectives, like S4A and Action for Albion's Alistair Jones (Sedgley on here).

It is a very good article, which continues to highlight our case and elevating it to the highest profile current case of club owner mismanagement in the public consciousness (outside of the Glazer family).

Sedgley talks in the article about how to the aim is that the government will take on our case as the flagship or test case for the new white paper. It is worth noting the work Action 4 Albion have done has helped Shareholders for Albion get a meeting with the govnement, including it seems Rishi Sunak himself (if I understood the article correctly).

Some people (and it seems nonchalant ex players) mock the work of A4A and the shine a light protest, Sedgley acknowledges it is taken the p*** out of a bit, but the continued highlighting and work they are doing is putting just as much pressure on the club as the more aggressive forms of protest adopted by Newcastle and Charlton fans the last few years, it didn't exactly speed up their take overs after all.

If enough football editors keep talking about our case, it gives us the best chance of getting the government interested, which seems the most likely way we can have any impact.
A4A have put up a link to the article, but it's behind a paywall. (At least it is on Google Chrome browser)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9646 on: August 25, 2023, 01:03:08 PM »
A4A have put up a link to the article, but it's behind a paywall. (At least it is on Google Chrome browser)

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/west-brom-unpaid-loans-owners-fans-fighting-back-2569868

Free to read on firefox, read it this morning on there.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9648 on: August 25, 2023, 01:20:10 PM »
Anything the government do may help clubs and the football industry in future, but I don’t see how it’s going to  help us in the here and now with Lai.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie