Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369680 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #9425 on: July 26, 2023, 07:04:27 PM »
For me that was the key difference between our development and Wolves. Their own had the best interests at the club at heart. He was a very successful businessman but didn’t see the club as an asset to be sold to the highest bidder. He made sure that the interests of the club came first. Whether their current owners will do the same in the future remains to be seen.

I think Fosun have pulled the plug on the dingle credit card.

Fosun did get them into Europe though in fairness.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9426 on: July 26, 2023, 07:33:04 PM »
I think Fosun have pulled the plug on the dingle credit card.

Fosun did get them into Europe though in fairness.

you could argue getting Europe during the covid season was the start of the downfall, a lot more outlay on players and bonuses without any money coming in

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9427 on: July 26, 2023, 07:33:51 PM »
I disagree. A buyer could have all the best intentions in the world but if they appoint poor personnel then it will be all for nothing.

At 60m a promotion to the PL will see your profit double pretty much minus any funds spent improving the squad

Lai appointed poor personnel because he didn't know what good personnel looked like.
You would hope that a motivated potential owner would have sounded out good personnel before pushing the button.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9428 on: July 26, 2023, 07:34:44 PM »
Lai appointed poor personnel because he didn't know what good personnel looked like.
You would hope that a motivated potential owner would have sounded out good personnel before pushing the button.

You would hope ANY owner would have a clue at some level. Lai doesn't.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9429 on: July 26, 2023, 09:37:41 PM »
I note that Fred Chenais has tge same initials as he who comes but once a year!
Lets hope that this santa has a sackful of money and ideas eh?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9430 on: July 26, 2023, 10:08:17 PM »
I note that Fred Chenais has tge same initials as he who comes but once a year!
Lets hope that this santa has a sackful of money and ideas eh?

Knowing our luck he'd turn up with no nuts and a sack full of mouldy tangerines.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9431 on: July 26, 2023, 10:58:10 PM »
Knowing our luck he'd turn up with no nuts and a sack full of mouldy tangerines.
Which would be half a sack of mouldy tangerines more than Lai has fronted up for the club ! ;D
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9432 on: July 27, 2023, 12:42:50 AM »
I'd rather have right said Fred in charge of us than this chancer.

We'd have to be deeply dippy to even consider this guy, as his bank balance doesn't make him too sexy for his shirt.

He maybe Fair owner but he's not got enough Brass, and comes across a bit of a d.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 07:17:40 AM by lewisant »

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9433 on: July 27, 2023, 11:28:29 AM »
The crypto-bro tag is giving him a bit of a bad name I think.
Reading the mail profile on him, he's been CFO and CEO of Atari and MD of Microprose, two pretty beefy entities in the world of video games/software. Legally qualified, background in normal banking as well. He sounds a world away from the Crawley Town idiots, or the ones who were sponsoring Barnsley. I'm quietly optimistic that this is a good thing, and if the potential purchase wipes away the MSD loan, then even better.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9434 on: July 27, 2023, 11:49:57 AM »
The crypto-bro tag is giving him a bit of a bad name I think.
Reading the mail profile on him, he's been CFO and CEO of Atari and MD of Microprose, two pretty beefy entities in the world of video games/software. Legally qualified, background in normal banking as well. He sounds a world away from the Crawley Town idiots, or the ones who were sponsoring Barnsley. I'm quietly optimistic that this is a good thing, and if the potential purchase wipes away the MSD loan, then even better.

Possibly. For anyone interested in the difference between blockchain and cryptocurrency the following link may prove helpful. Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs but Fred's into blockchain.

https://rb.gy/a7en4

It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9435 on: July 27, 2023, 12:27:42 PM »
I'd rather have right said Fred in charge of us than this chancer.

We'd have to be deeply dippy to even consider this guy, as his bank balance doesn't make him too sexy for his shirt.

Based on what ? You don’t get to be CEO of companies like Atari without having a bit of something about you !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9436 on: July 27, 2023, 12:29:15 PM »
Based on what ? You don’t get to be CEO of companies like Atari without having a bit of something about you !

Balis was just making a lot of references to Right Said Fred throughout his entire post mate. It made me chuckle a bit.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9437 on: July 27, 2023, 12:32:46 PM »
Possibly. For anyone interested in the difference between blockchain and cryptocurrency the following link may prove helpful. Not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs but Fred's into blockchain.

you would think someone with Freds background would be data driven and not "old school football man" or "chinese gardner looking for publicity" type
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9438 on: July 27, 2023, 12:44:28 PM »
you would think someone with Freds background would be data driven and not "old school football man" or "chinese gardner looking for publicity" type

Exactly. You look at Brentford and Bournemouth, and you see they're run by guys who have come from data/statistics driven betting backgrounds. I don't see this Fred chap as being a million miles away from that. He has to be a better option and have more about him that Lai. 

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9439 on: July 27, 2023, 12:45:14 PM »
Exactly. You look at Brentford and Bournemouth, and you see they're run by guys who have come from data/statistics driven betting backgrounds. I don't see this Fred chap as being a million miles away from that. He has to be a better option and have more about him that Lai.

EVen if someone knows as little as Lai, if they take an interest in the club they have Lai beat hands down and disaster after disaster would not happen.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9440 on: July 27, 2023, 01:22:50 PM »

Based on posters like you salivating at the prospect of spending Lai's billions when he darkened our doorstep.

Let's try and do some proper due diligence this time, orher than the fact he is ceo of a company that had it's best days in the early 80's when we all played space invaders on the 2600, and has been shut down and now the name is being used for crypto related business.

Other than that it was a joke, and the d was for dick short for Richard as in Fairbrass.

I hope this Fred is genuine and has a brilliant madterplan to emulate and then surpass the likes of Brentford with moneyball, but forgive my scepticism given who was supposed to buying us a couple of weeks ago.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 02:15:37 PM by BalisPen »

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9441 on: July 27, 2023, 01:52:45 PM »
I think he's the head hancho of a consortium

If he has a personal wealth of around 150 million, 60 million is a big chunk to gamble
Unless he plans to recoup his outlay by selling bits of the club, training ground maybe?
I hope not, or renaming and sponsor renaming the Hawthorns or even worse borrowing the 69 million and expecting to psy off his debt through wba

Ronnie Allen

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #9442 on: July 27, 2023, 02:17:36 PM »

Yes, thanks.  This needed clarifying. Blockchain is a technology; crypto uses blockchain to carry its transactions. You can have blockchain without crypto. You can’t have crypto without blockchain.
Which brings me to what’s in this investment for Chesnais. My guess is that football offers potential for expansion of blockchain in all kinds of areas: ticketing, sponsorship, contracts, scouting and inevitably,  gambling. There must be many others. Maybe, just maybe, WBA might be a foot in the door, thin end of the wedge, suck it and see - choose your metaphor - vehicle for blockchain application. Just a thought.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9443 on: July 27, 2023, 02:19:59 PM »
Yes, thanks.  This needed clarifying. Blockchain is a technology; crypto uses blockchain to carry its transactions. You can have blockchain without crypto. You can’t have crypto without blockchain.
Which brings me to what’s in this investment for Chesnais. My guess is that football offers potential for expansion of blockchain in all kinds of areas: ticketing, sponsorship, contracts, scouting and inevitably,  gambling. There must be many others. Maybe, just maybe, WBA might be a foot in the door, thin end of the wedge, suck it and see - choose your metaphor - vehicle for blockchain application. Just a thought.
It's certainly a long way from sheds!

Ronnie Allen

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #9444 on: July 27, 2023, 03:59:55 PM »
It's certainly a long way from sheds!

;D From Trev the Shed to Fred the Encryptor! What a time to be alive.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9445 on: July 27, 2023, 04:16:47 PM »
Chesnais has just posted the following on twitter:

I see a lot of amazing West Brom fans joining my profile, thank you for the support!

âš½Excited to connect with you all.

I am the founder of Football at AlphaVerse. This is a free-to-play 3D world dedicated to football and all the greatest clubs.

Exclusive videos, interviews, meet players, plays games, etc…
@FootballAlphaV

We give away tickets for football games, and yes we will have some for West Brom at home or away. We also give away jerseys.🎟️

Stay tuned for more exciting news!
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9446 on: July 27, 2023, 04:20:05 PM »

I see a lot of amazing West Brom fans joining my profile, thank you for the support!

I am the founder of Football at AlphaVerse. This is a free-to-play 3D world dedicated to football and all the greatest clubs.

@FootballAlphaV

We give away tickets for football games, and yes we will have some for West Brom at home or away. We also give away jerseys.🎟️

I think a lot of our fans are going to very disappointed..

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9447 on: July 27, 2023, 04:23:55 PM »
Based on posters like you salivating at the prospect of spending Lai's billions when he darkened our doorstep.

Let's try and do some proper due diligence this time, orher than the fact he is ceo of a company that had it's best days in the early 80's when we all played space invaders on the 2600, and has been shut down and now the name is being used for crypto related business.

Other than that it was a joke, and the d was for dick short for Richard as in Fairbrass.

I hope this Fred is genuine and has a brilliant madterplan to emulate and then surpass the likes of Brentford with moneyball, but forgive my scepticism given who was supposed to buying us a couple of weeks ago.

It’s not “us” who need to do any due diligence.  The only relevant parties for that are Yunyai (as vendor), the EFL (as regulator) and Ken (as sole director of Group - for which read Yunyai).

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9448 on: July 27, 2023, 04:25:37 PM »
Oh god, I take it all back.

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #9449 on: July 27, 2023, 04:30:08 PM »

@FootballAlphaV

All i am seeing here is red flags.
Smethwick..