Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369672 times)

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #9300 on: June 15, 2023, 10:21:54 PM »
Certain stake % would make it mandatory for them to make a full ownership offer.
Blues have been purchased in a similar way and I believe that’s how the villa owners may have come in when the Dr was in charge.

I don’t think that’s right. We are not a public company

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #9301 on: June 15, 2023, 10:23:38 PM »
I don’t think that’s right. We are not a public company

Oh ok! Even stranger that they want a small stake then

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9302 on: June 15, 2023, 10:49:26 PM »
Oh ok! Even stranger that they want a small stake then
Possibly because they think Lai will renege on the loan and the American loan company will sell on the cheap to recover the debt !?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Jack Thrust

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #9303 on: June 15, 2023, 10:50:04 PM »
Is there no nice people with money? They all seem like a right bunch of c u next Tuesday's.

If it makes you feel any better this pair don't have any money  ;D
Astle is the King

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #9304 on: June 15, 2023, 11:38:50 PM »
The only slight positive i am taking out of all of this is that at least it looks like he is open to selling us, which is something i thought he wouldn't be doing any time soon. Having read up on the two involved in this minority takeover, i hope we don't touch their "money" but i would think if someone was serious about buying any percentage of a football club i don't think they would necessarily leak the information.
Smethwick..

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9305 on: June 16, 2023, 12:41:15 AM »
No idea about the Egyptian guy but that Farnell chap sounds like an absolute snake.

I think the phrase "better the devil you know" was coined for this exact kind of situation

It shocking how the parasitic "middlemen" have created an industry to find clubs to seek and destroy for a quick profit.

I really hope a football regulator has some teeth to ban these charlatans for life.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 01:03:34 AM by BalisPen »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9306 on: June 16, 2023, 02:33:33 AM »
Slow to this but as soon as I saw Farnell's name alarm bells went off. He is an absolute bottom feeder. We are in desperate straits but this is bad. If anything that could be worse than Lai this is it.

These clowns don't have a pot to urine in are trying to get a minority stake on the cheap in the hope we get a promotion and they can leverage their stake for a fast buck.

No the worst of all possible worlds.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9307 on: June 16, 2023, 07:51:16 AM »
Lai will care even less than JP about who he sells to, as long as he recoups money against his failed investment, without having to give away too big a %

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9308 on: June 16, 2023, 08:22:15 AM »
Sorry if this has already been asked if Farnell and this Egyptian chap were to buy a minority stake would they still have to go through the fit & proper test? By the looks of it Farnell failed the fit & proper test at Charlton so I can’t imagine much would have changed especially with them tightening up the rules, im just wondering if they have seen a way of skirting round the fit & proper test by purchasing a minority share in the club.

After what I’ve read about Farnell he should be no-where near football, the bloke is a complete crook. The only thing I’m hoping as it’s out in the press with names it’s not a credible bid. Generally transactions of football clubs are done under nda’s so serious bids aren’t found out until it’s all signed & sealed.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 08:24:18 AM by baggies_24 »

Nickwba1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9309 on: June 16, 2023, 08:28:47 AM »
Sorry if this has already been asked if Farnell and this Egyptian chap were to buy a minority stake would they still have to go through the fit & proper test? By the looks of it Farnell failed the fit & proper test at Charlton so I can’t imagine much would have changed especially with them tightening up the rules, im just wondering if they have seen a way of skirting round the fit & proper test by purchasing a minority share in the club.

After what I’ve read about Farnell he should be no-where near football, the bloke is a complete crook. The only thing I’m hoping as it’s out in the press with names it’s not a credible bid. Generally transactions of football clubs are done under nda’s so serious bids aren’t found out until it’s all signed & sealed.

My assumption would be no they wouldn't as it's only a minority share.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9310 on: June 16, 2023, 08:55:50 AM »
The EFl owners and directors test.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/efl-regulations/appendix-3-owners-and-directors-test/

If anybody from the consortium was a director they would be subject to the test. I can't imagine that if they would make a significant investment without being able to nominate at least one director.

Equally they will be subject to money laundering checks if the stake is significant even if it is not a controlling one.

The rules are tougher than they used to be but it doesn't mean that the investors have noble intentions.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Bleeding Gums Murphy

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #9311 on: June 16, 2023, 11:40:06 AM »
Farnell is not someone you want near a football club.

https://thecharltondossier.com/chris-farnell/

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9312 on: June 16, 2023, 12:26:01 PM »
Lai will care even less than JP about who he sells to, as long as he recoups money against his failed investment, without having to give away too big a %

Not possible as JP didn't give a dam about the club when it was sold, his only interest was to maximise his return. Lai will be the same.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9313 on: June 16, 2023, 12:37:57 PM »
Not possible as JP didn't give a dam about the club when it was sold, his only interest was to maximise his return. Lai will be the same.
Ebenezer didn’t invest in club got club to buy his shares for him and then didn’t he dilute shares?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9314 on: June 16, 2023, 01:13:06 PM »
Ebenezer didn’t invest in club got club to buy his shares for him and then didn’t he dilute shares?

He certainly never invested funds into the club.  His money (or the money he borrowed) got paid to vendor shareholders and he then sold to Yunyai.  In reality he never had any money to invest into the club as his wealth was merely paper wealth until the sale to Yunyai

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9315 on: June 16, 2023, 02:21:06 PM »
Anyone know if this Farnell character is the same English based lawyer that was involved in American consortium that bid for club?

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9316 on: June 16, 2023, 02:45:21 PM »
Anyone know if this Farnell character is the same English based lawyer that was involved in American consortium that bid for club?

I didn't know but this guy has been involved in more than one failed attempt at purchasing a football club, big Alarm bells for me - could be worse than Lai ?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9317 on: June 16, 2023, 02:50:53 PM »
I didn't know but this guy has been involved in more than one failed attempt at purchasing a football club, big Alarm bells for me - could be worse than Lai ?

Farnell is not actually a lawyer.  Calls himself one but isn’t one. 

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9318 on: June 16, 2023, 03:29:35 PM »
A number of comentators are saying we're "up for sale", the buying combination identified by the Athletic doesn't look very attractive.

On the other hand, relationships beteween the Chinese & Arab nations are really good at the moment, so it wouldn't be surprising if new investment came from the Arab world.

There's a rumour that Periera is coming back, I wonder if there's a connection?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9319 on: June 16, 2023, 03:42:17 PM »

How?

Its a serious question. We are heading for administration unless things turn around quite dramatically. How much worse can any other owner be?

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9320 on: June 16, 2023, 04:00:50 PM »
A number of comentators are saying we're "up for sale", the buying combination identified by the Athletic doesn't look very attractive.

On the other hand, relationships beteween the Chinese & Arab nations are really good at the moment, so it wouldn't be surprising if new investment came from the Arab world.

There's a rumour that Periera is coming back, I wonder if there's a connection?

We can only dream  ;D
I still think Lai will milk us a bit more before (if) he sells us and expect at least 1-2 more seasons of selling our best players before he calls it quits.

I'm also very skeptical of 'commentators'. Often they parrot each other and are more confident than they should be. I would love some wealthy Arabs at B71 though!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9321 on: June 16, 2023, 04:09:25 PM »
We can only dream  ;D
I still think Lai will milk us a bit more before (if) he sells us and expect at least 1-2 more seasons of selling our best players before he calls it quits.

I'm also very skeptical of 'commentators'. Often they parrot each other and are more confident than they should be. I would love some wealthy Arabs at B71 though!

Wouldn't we all? It's a sad state of affairs, not right, not fair BUT it's the modern world.

Look at Vile. Practically at administration only around 5 years ago. Get taken over by money men, look at them now. Gone are 27,000 gates, loads of money spent and they need a stadium size bigger than when they were top flight runners up in the early 90's.

That won't happen to us. Some clubs just luck out constantly. We never, ever do.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9322 on: June 16, 2023, 04:11:40 PM »

There is no evidence to confirm that he used club funds to buy shares, but it is a popular theory.
When he was chairman he did a ‘share consolidation scheme’ which basically meant that for every 10 shares you had, you would have one ‘new’ share. Most shareholders had 1 or 2 so were virtually forced to sell them back to the club, or business boy in particular. He then acquired many shares to get him to 88% and the rest is history. Basically he forced genuine Albion fans to sell up for his own greed. He then held the next AGM in London and would not take any questions about the share consolidation scheme. The scheme was very divisive but apparently legal.
MAGA!

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9323 on: June 16, 2023, 04:14:11 PM »
How?

Its a serious question. We are heading for administration unless things turn around quite dramatically. How much worse can any other owner be?

The guy was deemed not fit to run a football club and was banned (he won back that status on appeal).  Remember EFL & EPL neither think Lai is a problem !

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9324 on: June 16, 2023, 04:20:27 PM »
Farnell is not actually a lawyer.  Calls himself one but isn’t one.

He is a Solicitor registered by the SRA.