Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369615 times)

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #9275 on: June 06, 2023, 06:29:04 PM »
The start of what I am sure is going to be a lengthy legal process, but it’s a start & I take my hat off to those at S4A as it’s realistically about the only way we’l get rid of Lai without the club going bust.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9276 on: June 06, 2023, 07:03:27 PM »
The club is a festering wound right now, going more rotten by the day. We need to amputate Lai from the club ASAP

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9277 on: June 06, 2023, 07:06:23 PM »
Have conducted a web search, I couldn't find anything to contradict that the restrictions on overseas spending imposed by the CCP regarding Soccer investment are still in force.

Football or Soccer as the rest of the world has it, has been a major embarrassment for President Xi.  Following the haughty predictions for the national team when he got the ball (ahem) rolling in 2015, has come the flop that is always possible with such hubris.  China FC is no further up the world rankings than when he made hi boasts back in 2015.

You can understand why he doesn't want to hear anyone or any media outlets talking about that particular subject.

Xi's method of handling dissenters or anyone who fails or upsets him is to employ his special anti-graft  regulators to attaint them for corruption.  So the president of the national soccer federation, a national coach and an education ministry official who over-promised on soccer in schools are among those who have been arrested.

Xi doesn't want to hear about football so it's not surprising that Mr Guochuan is keeping his head down on that front especially as the real estate boom and bust is another potential embarassment. 

In 2010 there were 20 European clubs owned by Chinese investors.  In 2020 there were 10.

Selling at a big loss would be a humiliation for Lai Guochuan.
 Maybe a bigger humiliation would be just the threat of an indictment against him in the UK. 
Maybe a Gulf state will be tempted.

Maybe a Gulf state will be tempted.  With our luck we would get the Yemen
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9278 on: June 06, 2023, 07:34:05 PM »
I think these couple of videos give a decent history of how things have gone with China using football as a soft-power tool

https://youtu.be/eZmzi4VxV98

https://youtu.be/-Rtgw2wiAMo
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9279 on: June 10, 2023, 03:31:11 PM »
https://www.birminghamworld.uk/sport/football/west-brom/top-17-famous-celebrity-west-brom-fans-net-worth-order-4176351?page=5

If they all put 10% of their net worth in, they could buy the club then get their return once we are back on top..... even 5% might do it.....
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9280 on: June 11, 2023, 07:07:33 AM »
https://www.birminghamworld.uk/sport/football/west-brom/top-17-famous-celebrity-west-brom-fans-net-worth-order-4176351?page=5

If they all put 10% of their net worth in, they could buy the club then get their return once we are back on top..... even 5% might do it.....
It’s very easy to tell others how to spend their money isn’t it ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9281 on: June 11, 2023, 08:12:08 AM »
It’s very easy to tell others how to spend their money isn’t it ?

I wasn't being entirely serious.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9282 on: June 11, 2023, 08:26:20 AM »
I wasn't being entirely serious.

These are serious times ex, how dare you come on here and make humorous comments 😂
MAGA!

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9283 on: June 11, 2023, 02:07:47 PM »
These are serious times ex, how dare you come on here and make humorous comments 😂

Sorry skyclad, I hang my head in shame. Titter ye not!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 03:36:15 PM by ex coseley kid »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9284 on: June 15, 2023, 05:27:18 PM »
The Athletic reporting that a consortium are in talks to buy a small percentage of the club. Could possibly lead to full takeover further down the line

"A group that includes Egyptian businessman Mohamed Elkashashy and Manchester-based sports lawyer Chris Farnell are in talks to buy a minority stake in West Bromwich Albion that could eventually lead to a full takeover.

The group has been speaking to the beleaguered Championship club for several months and, while no agreement has been reached yet, the talks are advanced."

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9285 on: June 15, 2023, 05:46:41 PM »
Just read up a little on those 2 individuals. No thank you from me, they seem no good to me
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9286 on: June 15, 2023, 05:47:25 PM »
Some bad responses about it including from Kieran Maguire on twitter, a gif of the grim reaper.

First it giveth…

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9287 on: June 15, 2023, 05:51:29 PM »
The Athletic reporting that a consortium are in talks to buy a small percentage of the club. Could possibly lead to full takeover further down the line

"A group that includes Egyptian businessman Mohamed Elkashashy and Manchester-based sports lawyer Chris Farnell are in talks to buy a minority stake in West Bromwich Albion that could eventually lead to a full takeover.

The group has been speaking to the beleaguered Championship club for several months and, while no agreement has been reached yet, the talks are advanced."
Previously tried to buy Charlton and Burnley I believe, part of a consortium
They don’t appear to be mega wealthy themselves but can’t be worse than Lai and his cronies surely

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9288 on: June 15, 2023, 05:55:21 PM »
They don’t appear to be mega wealthy themselves but can’t be worse than Lai and his cronies surely

The rest of the article says they tried to get Burnley and Lai spoke to them in 2020

Article states club valued at around 75m currently

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9289 on: June 15, 2023, 06:05:26 PM »
This doesn’t fill me with any hope. If they are serious investors why don’t they buy the club outright. Are they looking to make a quick buck from a future sale?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9290 on: June 15, 2023, 06:27:46 PM »

Out of the wok and into the fire, no ta. I'd rather Doug Ellis took us over from the grave and bring Christian Purslow with him as CEO to be honest.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9291 on: June 15, 2023, 06:35:36 PM »
Who actually gets a say over whether this pair are suitable? Is it just Lai?  It would be re-assuring if say, the minority shareholders had some clout. What are the ground rules? Someone turns up with a wadge of money and says I'd like some shares? 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #9292 on: June 15, 2023, 06:44:04 PM »
Certain stake % would make it mandatory for them to make a full ownership offer.
Blues have been purchased in a similar way and I believe that’s how the villa owners may have come in when the Dr was in charge.

Jack Thrust

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #9293 on: June 15, 2023, 07:13:31 PM »
I'd urge everyone to have a read of this:

https://thecharltondossier.com/chris-farnell/

This isn't somebody I want associated with the club, the only relief comes from the fact I doubt very much they would pass the owners & directors test
Astle is the King

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9294 on: June 15, 2023, 07:18:40 PM »
They sound dodgy as hell according to the Express and Star article, the Farnell guy was banned from being a football director at Charlton, and has been involved in 2 failed takeovers already which is never a good sign.

Seems like a pair of chancers who sniff blood in the water here, certainly they don't seem to have much money, nor competence.  Also seems like the situation could very easily get worse with them, not better.

Hopefully it falls through, don't want them associated with the club in anyway. We're a basket case as it is without letting more into the fold. You'd think at some point we're due an owner who actually invests in the club, there can't be too many clubs our profile who've had so little investment.

This isn't somebody I want associated with the club, the only relief comes from the fact I doubt very much they would pass the owners & directors test

So basically he's a snake people who will struggle to pass the fit and owners person test use to try and smooth things over  (and think, given the amount of bad owners who've made it through that test how bad you need to be to fail it!). Accordign to wiki he's also had court cases against him for hitting his wife, and perjury, seems a delightful man....

Judging by the fact he seemingly wrote his wiki, he's probably reading these comments.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 07:31:52 PM by Dan »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9295 on: June 15, 2023, 07:27:08 PM »

No idea about the Egyptian guy but that Farnell chap sounds like an absolute snake.

I think the phrase "better the devil you know" was coined for this exact kind of situation

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9296 on: June 15, 2023, 07:34:06 PM »
No idea about the Egyptian guy but that Farnell chap sounds like an absolute snake.

I think the phrase "better the devil you know" was coined for this exact kind of situation

The problem is when you have a club as badly ran as ours, all the snakes and chancers ears perk up and you can easily end up in a death spiral. We will need to be very hopeful to get a decent owner after Lai, whatever the situation is, but I certainly wouldn't expect it.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9297 on: June 15, 2023, 08:00:47 PM »
The problem is when you have a club as badly ran as ours, all the snakes and chancers ears perk up and you can easily end up in a death spiral. We will need to be very hopeful to get a decent owner after Lai, whatever the situation is, but I certainly wouldn't expect it.

Yes, I remember this happened before Pompey went bust, they had all sorts of people coming out the woodwork to buy them. It's a sad state of affairs.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9298 on: June 15, 2023, 08:26:53 PM »
Carpet baggers and ne'r do wells. A pox on them all.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9299 on: June 15, 2023, 09:31:14 PM »
Is there no nice people with money? They all seem like a right bunch of c u next Tuesday's.
O Albion we love you